DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/644992-100-movies-31-days-14th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html)

numbercrunch 10-03-18 10:46 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Blood Harvest is brutal to get through. I watched it on Shudder vs buying the blu ray. thank god. When your only redeeming feature is Tiny Tim, you got issues.

WillieMLF 10-03-18 11:38 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13418869)
I just got a reminder of how my DVD buying was out of control in the 2000's. Even though I upgraded it to Blu Ray, I thought I still had a DVD of Cronos around to lend to someone (who didn't have a Blu Ray player). So I dig it out and it turns out instead of the Guillermo del Toro movie I have this:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikiped...nos_poster.jpg

which was a 1985 art-house photography movie. I must've bought the wrong movie 15 years ago and never even noticed because I never got around to watching the majority of stuff I purchased. How could I have not even noticed the cover was wrong?!? I even filed it away alphabetically under "Cronos" and made a note in a database that I owned the del Toro movie. Jesus ... I wonder what other mysteries I have in my giant unwatched DVD collection? :lol:

^^This sounds like something I would do.

Man this thread is moving, and I've only ignored it for one day. There are some really great suggestions going on here, and I need a few hours to try and get my checklist in order before things go all to hell. Keep those suggestions coming. Watching Blood Beach, and I really love that Run Run Shaw is somehow connected to this gem. We really need a blu release of this movie. Finished up Little Evil this morning on the bus, and yes it was pretty cute and funny.

Undeadcow 10-03-18 11:44 AM

Films based underwater and around the water will never get old to me; atmospheric underwater photography is captivating. It's a little disappointing that aquatic environments are so closely tied with killer shark flicks (which are not my taste).

mrcellophane 10-03-18 12:26 PM

I watched a made-for-TV movie called Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo which is definitely a Jaws knock-off, right down to a cantankerous mayor who wants to endanger people to keep the local economy safe and an outlandish plan to kill the threat. Since it's a made-for-TV affair, the horror is kinda minimal, but ramps up when a group of people are caught in a dark warehouse with a mob of spiders. I'd recommend if you need a reprise from gore or if you find spiders scary.

ViewAskewbian 10-03-18 12:57 PM

So started my Ash/Evil Dead marathon and pulled out my old Anchor Bay Book of the Dead DVD. It's looking pretty worse for wear with pieces now crumbling and big cracks in it. How are yours fairing all these years on?

GoldenWheels 10-03-18 01:01 PM

Watched the Synape Suspiria blu. Top notch visuals. Sound seemed uneven to me but I think that has always been that way due to the dub. But somehow, I like the movie less each time I watch it.

shadokitty 10-03-18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 13419153)
So started my Ash/Evil Dead marathon and pulled out my old Anchor Bay Book of the Dead DVD. It's looking pretty worse for wear with pieces now crumbling and big cracks in it. How are yours fairing all these years on?

I still have my Army Of Darkness blu ray, but one of my boxers destroyed my Blu Ray of Evil Dead 2.

After playing some horror video game, with Alien vs Predator Pinball, I decided to take a day to binge Challenge viewing the rest of the day. So far I've seen two cartoons. Earlier I watched Scooby Doo! Pirates Ahoy!, on Boomerang. That was a first time view too, my third in three days. I just finished watching a Halloween episode of Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, on Disney Junior too.

mallratcal 10-03-18 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 13419153)

I have the Book of the Dead versions for 1 and 2 and they are both cracked and have lost pieces along the spine.

Anchor Bay shouldn't have cheaped out and instead bound the things in human flesh.

jholmes 10-03-18 01:38 PM

I feel spoiled for choice tonight since I love creature features, and since my NIGHTWING blu ray didn't come yet, I'm feeling indecisive. I've seen Tremors but I might watch it since it's been so long I don't feel I can honestly cross it off my "They Shoot Zombies" list. The Swarm is another option. I love those 70's disaster movies though I'm sure, based on reviews, it's not very good. I've seen the original Piranha but not Piranha 3D. Choices, choices.

Gobear 10-03-18 01:42 PM

I can definitely recommend 47 Meters Down on Netflix. It's about two sisters on vacation in Mexico who decide to go on a shark viewing excursion and get stuck in a cage . . . 47 meters down. It's a solid action film that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Originally Posted by mallratcal (Post 13419156)
I have the Book of the Dead versions for 1 and 2 and they are both cracked and have lost pieces along the spine.

Anchor Bay shouldn't have cheaped out and instead bound the things in human flesh.

Mine are falling apart as well. I removed the discs for fear the chemical fumes from the decomposition of the plastic might damage them.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane (Post 13419137)
I watched a made-for-TV movie called Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo which is definitely a Jaws knock-off, right down to a cantankerous mayor who wants to endanger people to keep the local economy safe and an outlandish plan to kill the threat. .

This has been on Svengoolie a couple of times over the past year. I thought it was a lot of wasted potential, like most made-for-TV movies.

DaveyJoe 10-03-18 01:50 PM

I Drink Your Blood was a crazy grindhouse flick from the 70s that felt like Night of the Living Dead meets the Manson Family. A group of hippies are hanging out in a small town and terrorizing the locals when a kid finds a way to infect them with rabies as retaliation. The final act is appropriately Gonzo.

I wasn't expecting much from it but I found it pretty entertaining, and the Grindhouse Releasing Blu-ray looked great.

coyoteblue 10-03-18 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by jholmes (Post 13419187)
I feel spoiled for choice tonight since I love creature features, and since my NIGHTWING blu ray didn't come yet, I'm feeling indecisive. I've seen Tremors but I might watch it since it's been so long I don't feel I can honestly cross it off my "They Shoot Zombies" list. The Swarm is another option. I love those 70's disaster movies though I'm sure, based on reviews, it's not very good. I've seen the original Piranha but not Piranha 3D. Choices, choices.

There's always Bats (1999), if you have your heart set on a bat creature feature. I think it's reputation is undeserved. The Swarm is pure 70's cheese, but hey, Michael Caine and Katharine Ross.

Trevor 10-03-18 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by mallratcal (Post 13419156)

With the dozens of editions of the Evil Dead films, are we sure this hasn’t happened?

Chad 10-03-18 02:11 PM

Ataud Blanco (White Coffin) was a pretty tense road movie about child abduction that veers into supernatural territory (while throwing logic out the window). This one didn't hold back, and it's only 70 minutes.

And already I've caught an accidental rewatch--Horror House on Highway 5. Another possibly LSD-inspired oddity from Vinegar Syndrome that's completely devoid of a plot. A killer in Richard Nixon mask (credited as Ronald Reagan), a Jennifer Lawrence doppelganger, invisible whipping noises straight out of Phantasm, bumbling Nazi brothers, etc. I actually enjoyed this mess of a movie. Great soundtrack too.

jholmes 10-03-18 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by coyoteblue (Post 13419210)
There's always Bats (1999), if you have your heart set on a bat creature feature. I think it's reputation is undeserved. The Swarm is pure 70's cheese, but hey, Michael Caine and Katharine Ross.

Yes, I think I will do Bats today. It was on my list to watch with Nightwing, which I don't have, but I can do Bats. Just for Lou Diamond Phillips.

Everything's sounding good to me right now. Probably by the end of the month that will no longer be the case. :-)

47 meters down looks good too, but I'm not a fan of claustrophobic films. They stray into the painful end of tension for me. I hate small spaces! Gravity was like that.

Thanks for the suggestions, guys.

Undeadcow 10-03-18 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear (Post 13419190)
I can definitely recommend 47 Meters Down on Netflix. It's about two sisters on vacation in Mexico who decide to go on a shark viewing excursion and get stuck in a cage . . . 47 meters down. It's a solid action film that had me on the edge of my seat the entire time.

Originally Posted by jholmes (Post 13419221)
47 meters down looks good too, but I'm not a fan of claustrophobic films. They stray into the painful end of tension for me. I hate small spaces! Gravity was like that.

I watched 47 Meters Down and though it was serviceable. The underwater setting was a nice murky blue complete with often floating sand particles, overall the sort of just well lit enough dim that makes me suspect a stage so didn't feel 'claustrophobic' to me. I did find the last half of 47 Meters Down to be better than the lead-in and much more tense.

Undeadcow 10-03-18 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13418788)
It's satirical. This picture doesn't actually condone violence to women.

Wait till you see what Blood Beach thinks of rapists.

DaveyJoe 10-03-18 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 13419265)

I can't wait. I've also got The Great Alligator lined up to fit the theme. Both will be first-time-viewings for me.

jholmes 10-03-18 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 13419265)

:-) Best scene in the movie.

Chad 10-03-18 05:33 PM

Please welcome in their very first year of sponsorship, Vinegar Syndrome

<table border="25"><tr>
<TD BGCOLOR=#000000>https://i.imgur.com/65U2wnD.jpg</tr></td></table>

Prize details coming soon.
<BR>

DaveyJoe 10-03-18 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13419354)
Please welcome in their very first year of sponsorship, Vinegar Syndrome

<table border="25"><tr>
<TD BGCOLOR=#000000>https://i.imgur.com/65U2wnD.jpg</tr></td></table>

Prize details coming soon.
<BR>

https://media.giphy.com/media/xTiTnw...Qh5C/giphy.gif

jholmes 10-03-18 05:45 PM

One of my favorite films on the Jawsploitation list is Prophecy (1979). I've seen it recently so I won't watch it tonight, but I can recommend for anyone looking for suggestions.

SterlingBen 10-03-18 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13419362)

Indeed

mallratcal 10-03-18 06:51 PM

Hell yeah! Vinegar Syndrome's restorations are amazing!!

Trevor 10-03-18 07:16 PM

Wow, awesome news on VS!

And I’ll second the Prophecy recommendation. Although not a good film like the Christopher Walker one, it’s cheesy 70s schlock that speaks to 10 year old in me.

indiephantom 10-03-18 07:21 PM

Vinegar Syndrome is amazing guys.

MysterioMan007 10-03-18 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13418859)
It starts off slow. Reeeaaaalllly slow. For more than the first year of original broadcast (250+ episodes), you could watch only the Friday and Monday shows and miss nothing of consequence plot-wise. Even when the Barnabas story begins it's still pretty slow.

It's only after they time travel to the 1790's that it seemed something interesting could happen any day. Now it seems that what would've been a gigantic week ending cliffhanger could happen any day of the week. Though with the way the show is going now, I can see how they burn out by 1971.

Yeah, I wouldn't say it's bad, per se. Just REALLY slow. I find myself squeezing an episode in between things so I can at least move forward. I do like the music and the atmosphere, so that's a plus. Also gotta admit I look forward to seeing the episodes in color.

jholmes 10-03-18 08:42 PM

Ended up with 4 today -- Blood Beach, Bats (1999), The Swarm (1978) and The Great Alligator (1978).

I like aspects of all of them, but the only home run for me was The Swarm. I just love Irwin Allen disaster cheese. And f'ing hell, what a cast. It had everyone in it but God.

Bats had so many things going for it. Lou Diamond Phillips was great, the mutant bat design was really excellent, lovely southwestern setting, strong production values. But the script was so predictable and the long action sequences just bored me they were so routine. No surprises in the ending. Still worth a watch and much better than the IMDB rating. Way better than most SyFy movies.

wackyblacky 10-03-18 09:04 PM

Just watched The Amityville Murders (2018) and with the past wave of crappy Amityville films over the years this one stands out. It deals with the DeFeo murders that took place before the Lutz family moved in to the famous digs. Catch this one for sure. 3/5.

MysterioMan007 10-03-18 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by wackyblacky (Post 13419485)
Just watched The Amityville Murders (2018) and with the past wave of crappy Amityville films over the years this one stands out. It deals with the DeFeo murders that took place before the Lutz family moved in to the famous digs. Catch this one for sure. 3/5.

Wow, they're cranking those out without even warnings now. I still haven't watched Awakening, but I might give this one a viewing. Interesting to see some of the Amityville 2 cast having roles in this...

jacob_b 10-03-18 10:47 PM

Originally Posted by wackyblacky (Post 13419485)

Originally Posted by Darkgod (Post 13418968)
Watched Hell House, LLC... it was okay at best... watched the second one and was pleasantly surprised. Second one is down right creepy. I don't say that often as outside the unusual jump scare, I dont frighten. Part two had me turning on the lights as i went to bed.

Is it streaming anywhere?

numbercrunch 10-03-18 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by jholmes (Post 13419365)
One of my favorite films on the Jawsploitation list is Prophecy (1979). I've seen it recently so I won't watch it tonight, but I can recommend for anyone looking for suggestions.

saw Prophecy on it's original theatrical run. it is my favorite bear movie.

Gobear 10-03-18 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 13419538)
Is it streaming anywhere?

The second one is on Shudder.

mrcellophane 10-03-18 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by Gobear (Post 13419190)
[Tarantulas: The Deadly Cargo] has been on Svengoolie a couple of times over the past year. I thought it was a lot of wasted potential, like most made-for-TV movies.

Yeah, any comments I make about made-for-TV movies needs to be understand in the context of my undying love of the format. They are so often cheesy, stocked with television actors, and odd in their execution. This one is a bit flabby and generic, but I enjoyed watching it as a blatant ripoff of Jaws.

Just a friendly reminder that if you live alone and have mental health issues, maybe don't watch Roman Polanski's Repulsion after a rough day at work! This movie messed me up and played on a lot of my fears. Catherine Deneuve portrays such a bleak descent into madness, that I felt like I was in that festering, lonely apartment with her.

DaveyJoe 10-03-18 11:53 PM

Repulsion is brilliant, but very haunting and it sticks with you. Watch a tv movie to cheer up!

Undeadcow 10-04-18 12:28 AM

Epic of Vinegar Syndrome to sign on as sponsors; they're a great company.
Good work, Chad!

shadokitty 10-04-18 01:36 AM

Wow! We are getting some great sponsors. Kudos to you, Chad for all you are doing.

My Challenge viewing came to a sudden stop earlier tonight. For some reason, my internet slowed down to a crawl. I was going to watch something on Roku, and it wouldn’t even connect to the internet. Even a paranormal podcast I am listening to right now is buffering constantly.

jholmes 10-04-18 05:51 AM

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 13419597)
Wow! We are getting some great sponsors. Kudos to you, Chad for all you are doing.

My Challenge viewing came to a sudden stop earlier tonight. For some reason, my internet slowed down to a crawl. I was going to watch something on Roku, and it wouldn’t even connect to the internet. Even a paranormal podcast I am listening to right now is buffering constantly.

That's the worst. Hope it improves for you.

WillieMLF 10-04-18 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by jholmes (Post 13419469)
Ended up with 4 today -- Blood Beach, Bats (1999), The Swarm (1978) and The Great Alligator (1978).

I like aspects of all of them, but the only home run for me was The Swarm. I just love Irwin Allen disaster cheese. And f'ing hell, what a cast. It had everyone in it but God.

Bats had so many things going for it. Lou Diamond Phillips was great, the mutant bat design was really excellent, lovely southwestern setting, strong production values. But the script was so predictable and the long action sequences just bored me they were so routine. No surprises in the ending. Still worth a watch and much better than the IMDB rating. Way better than most SyFy movies.

Man, I remember watching The Swarm on ABC when they did the Sunday night movie. That one freaked me out as a kid. I remember sleeping in my parents bedroom for like 3 nights. I really need to look that one up to see how it holds up. Can't wait for another Warner Archive sale. The Great Alligator is in my queue, and it satisfies Martino who is on the checklist.

The Prohecy is one of my favorites. Best chainsaw vs axe battle ever.

WillieMLF 10-04-18 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13419573)
Repulsion is brilliant, but very haunting and it sticks with you. Watch a Hallmark tv movie to cheer up!