DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   DVD Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk-3/)
-   -   100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/644992-100-movies-31-days-14th-annual-october-horror-movie-challenge-10-1-10-31-a.html)

WillieMLF 10-04-18 07:54 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Has anyone seen The Endless? It's on Netflix and has something to do with aliens. It's almost 2 hours long, and I'm not sure I want to invest that kind of time.

coyoteblue 10-04-18 08:07 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 14th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/

Originally Posted by WillieMLF (Post 13419651)
Has anyone seen The Endless? It's on Netflix and has something to do with aliens. It's almost 2 hours long, and I'm not sure I want to invest that kind of time.

The reviews have been generally positive. It's not a popcorn movie, however. Their last feature, the horror romance, Spring (2014), is good.

Surfinhank 10-04-18 10:29 AM

It's a follow up/sequel to Resolution, which I personally loved (though it's not for everyone). If you saw that and liked it you may like The Endless. I didn't like it as much as Resolution but it still has some great stuff in it.

SterlingBen 10-04-18 10:45 AM

Rare day off, planning to go see Hell Fest in the theater and a local production of Night Of The Living Dead Live tonight!

mrcellophane 10-04-18 11:18 AM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe (Post 13419573)
Repulsion is brilliant, but very haunting and it sticks with you. Watch a tv movie to cheer up!

Hehe! More TV movie silliness is on today's docket! I realized my mistake was watching a super intense film so late that I had to go to bed afterward. Today's night watch will either by The Ring or Candyman, and I'll watch it with dinner instead of afterward. Hopefully, I'll sleep a bit better.

SterlingBen 10-04-18 12:00 PM

In Hell Fest now, only one in the theater.

Suspiria remake looks so devoid of color....

jholmes 10-04-18 12:47 PM

Originally Posted by SterlingBen (Post 13419845)

That's a shame. Hopefully it's getting decent attendance out there.
I saw a review today for The Little Stranger that had me searching for showtimes, but it's not in my area. Pity. I might go see The Nun later this month. Let us know how Hell Fest goes.

DaveyJoe 10-04-18 12:53 PM

Yeah, it's pretty good. It's about an unseen presence keeping people from escaping a cult. It may not provide the type of action/scares you're looking for during the challenge, but I thought it was a solid flick.

Gobear 10-04-18 01:07 PM

I want to check out both of those this month. I'm going to see Venom after work today.

I watched a pretty decent flick on Shudder called Thirst, about a group of angsty teens stuck in a wilderness boot camp trying to avoid becoming dinner for an alien that drinks body fluids. The movie neatly subverts expectations by
Spoiler:
killing off the macho lead character we expect to be the hero in the first 30 minutes

Darkgod 10-04-18 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by jacob_b (Post 13419538)
Is it streaming anywhere?

Part 1 is on Amazon and Shudder. Pt 2 is only Shudder

brainee 10-04-18 01:28 PM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 (Post 13419436)
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's bad, per se. Just REALLY slow. I find myself squeezing an episode in between things so I can at least move forward. I do like the music and the atmosphere, so that's a plus. Also gotta admit I look forward to seeing the episodes in color.

About Dark Shadows ... yes, the episodes are so short (~20 minutes) it was easy to squeeze them in here and there. I found I enjoyed watching 2-3 episodes before going to bed. Probably not a ringing endorsement ... but it was comfortable turning off the lights, getting into bed, and watching some Dark Shadows. I liked the glimpse into another time and place. Like all soap operas, you watch as much for hanging out with the characters, being a fly-on-the-wall as they live their lives, as you do for plot.

I also enjoy the feel of the by-the-seat-of-their-pants production. Even though it wasn't a live broadcast, they only had one shot at filming (before another show takes all of their equipment). Even in an otherwise mundane scene, there are little things you can pick out and have fun with. Like how they handle forgotten lines. Jonathan Frid will just start babbling as he tries to find the teleprompter :) The actor who played Dr. Lang would write his lines on his sleeve. And in one scene another actor sabotaged him by grabbing his arm before he peek at the lines :lol: And there was one poor old woman who had the double-whammy of not being able to read the teleprompter or remember any lines. And you can hear someone off-camera loudly say all of her lines before she repeats them.

Of course there are lots of boom mics and crew caught on camera, bad anachronisms for their time-travel scenes (somehow I doubt a bar in the 1700's had electric ceiling lights). In one episode the studio caught on fire, and you can hear coughing, shouts, and fire extinguishers going off in the background (while the cast and crew keep plugging along with the scene).

Many episodes begin with the couple of minutes the ended the previous episode. But they coudn't reuse what they had, so they had to completely reshoot the scenes. Though sometimes that let them fix mistakes. The most unfortunately hilarious mistake was the one episode that was supposed to end with the big reveal of Barnabas showing the vampire fangs for the first time. But poor Jonathan Frid put them in upside-down in his mouth, leaving it pretty confusing what was going on with his teeth. He got it right for the next-day reshoot though!

Undeadcow 10-04-18 02:16 PM

I ended up enjoying the jawsploitation theme a lot more than I expected; those are films I probably would have avoided and theme participation paid off.
It's not that I saw an especially good films, more just the mood of it.

I still have high hopes for Suspiria 2018. Even if remakes aren't my preferred method it would be nice to see the main stream pendulum shift towards more abstract imagery heavy horror films.

shadokitty 10-04-18 02:20 PM

This talk of Dark Shadows reminds me that somewhere I have a copy of the revival. I just need to locate it. It’s a shame it didn’t last longer, but I remember at least where I lived, it was opposite Star Trek: Voyager , so that likely didn’t help the ratings of Dark Shadows .

Another show that I enjoyed that I used to have on DVD was American Gothic . An odd thing happened to that set. When I was living with an ex, who was my girlfriend at the time, my room had one of those air fresheners that sprayed periodically. One day the spray got all over my discs as I had left my binder open, and being double sided discs, the surface was ruined.

I’ve been thinking about my DVDs today, as it seems I still have basically no internet. Perhaps I can tune into streaming on my phone or tablet, but my Roku still doesn’t connect to the internet.

Chad 10-04-18 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian (Post 13419153)
So started my Ash/Evil Dead marathon and pulled out my old Anchor Bay Book of the Dead DVD. It's looking pretty worse for wear with pieces now crumbling and big cracks in it. How are yours fairing all these years on?

Originally Posted by mallratcal (Post 13419156)
I have the Book of the Dead versions for 1 and 2 and they are both cracked and have lost pieces along the spine.

Anchor Bay shouldn't have cheaped out and instead bound the things in human flesh.

I panicked last night after seeing this and had to immediately check, but both of mine are surprisingly still intact. I'm guessing that's because I've always displayed them in the original packaging? And the second one's still screaming.

Chad 10-04-18 02:52 PM

Went against my every instinct and watched Unfriended to meet today's theme. Instantly regretted it, and it'll easily go down as the worst watch of the challenge. It was extremely restrained with the absolute worst acting straight out of an After School special. I noticed it was filmed in Salt Lake City, so maybe some Mormon affiliation? Definitely felt more like a morality tale than a horror film. Surprised to hear it was produced by Blumhouse and they gave it a sequel??

Washing it down tonight with Spontaneous Combustion and maybe a revisiting of Repulsion.

SethDLH 10-04-18 02:57 PM

Day 3 post is up and consists of a killer knight, mutant babies, a tree monster and a trip to Amityville

http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...nge-day-3.html

Chad 10-04-18 07:07 PM

Posted at request of sponsor...

Chad 10-04-18 07:08 PM

https://i.imgur.com/jB7N0aC.png

Nekromantic Enamel Pin

Chad 10-04-18 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13415975)
And in our 7th year of sponsorship, Synapse

<table border="25"><tr>
<TD BGCOLOR=#000000>https://i.imgur.com/tKDV9BS.jpg</tr></td></table>

<BR>

Synapse Films has graciously donated the following:

3 Copies of Supiria on Blu-ray
https://i.imgur.com/vRxRDgz.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/vRxRDgz.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/vRxRDgz.jpg

2 Copies of Unearthed & Untold: The Path to Pet Sematary on Blu-ray
https://i.imgur.com/3XtpOnW.jpghttps://i.imgur.com/3XtpOnW.jpg
<BR>

MysterioMan007 10-04-18 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13419905)
About Dark Shadows ... yes, the episodes are so short (~20 minutes) it was easy to squeeze them in here and there. I found I enjoyed watching 2-3 episodes before going to bed. Probably not a ringing endorsement ... but it was comfortable turning off the lights, getting into bed, and watching some Dark Shadows. I liked the glimpse into another time and place. Like all soap operas, you watch as much for hanging out with the characters, being a fly-on-the-wall as they live their lives, as you do for plot.

I also enjoy the feel of the by-the-seat-of-their-pants production. Even though it wasn't a live broadcast, they only had one shot at filming (before another show takes all of their equipment). Even in an otherwise mundane scene, there are little things you can pick out and have fun with. Like how they handle forgotten lines. Jonathan Frid will just start babbling as he tries to find the teleprompter :) The actor who played Dr. Lang would write his lines on his sleeve. And in one scene another actor sabotaged him by grabbing his arm before he peek at the lines :lol: And there was one poor old woman who had the double-whammy of not being able to read the teleprompter or remember any lines. And you can hear someone off-camera loudly say all of her lines before she repeats them.

Of course there are lots of boom mics and crew caught on camera, bad anachronisms for their time-travel scenes (somehow I doubt a bar in the 1700's had electric ceiling lights). In one episode the studio caught on fire, and you can hear coughing, shouts, and fire extinguishers going off in the background (while the cast and crew keep plugging along with the scene).

Many episodes begin with the couple of minutes the ended the previous episode. But they coudn't reuse what they had, so they had to completely reshoot the scenes. Though sometimes that let them fix mistakes. The most unfortunately hilarious mistake was the one episode that was supposed to end with the big reveal of Barnabas showing the vampire fangs for the first time. But poor Jonathan Frid put them in upside-down in his mouth, leaving it pretty confusing what was going on with his teeth. He got it right for the next-day reshoot though!

Sounds like there's a lot of fun ahead for me. So far, it just feels like 80 episodes of Roger Collins looking down his nose at everyone. Looking forward to seeing what Barnabus brings to the show when I finally do reach that portion of the show.

Originally Posted by shadokitty (Post 13419961)
This talk of Dark Shadows reminds me that somewhere I have a copy of the revival. I just need to locate it. It’s a shame it didn’t last longer, but I remember at least where I lived, it was opposite Star Trek: Voyager , so that likely didn’t help the ratings of Dark Shadows .

Another show that I enjoyed that I used to have on DVD was American Gothic . An odd thing happened to that set. When I was living with an ex, who was my girlfriend at the time, my room had one of those air fresheners that sprayed periodically. One day the spray got all over my discs as I had left my binder open, and being double sided discs, the surface was ruined.

I have both of those, too. I've never watched the revival of Dark Shadows. I'm going to try and do the original show first. The 2012 movie was a total disappointment as it was played for mostly laughs and the change in tone turned me off.

On American Gothic, I thought that show was pretty good and had a lot of potential to grow going forward. Gary Cole was fantastic. I've had my DVDs out to rewatch this for a while, but can't seem to get around to it. It's definitely got the 90's production value, but I felt that was an underrated show.

Originally Posted by Chad (Post 13419992)
Went against my every instinct and watched Unfriended to meet today's theme. Instantly regretted it, and it'll easily go down as the worst watch of the challenge. It was extremely restrained with the absolute worst acting straight out of an After School special. I noticed it was filmed in Salt Lake City, so maybe some Mormon affiliation? Definitely felt more like a morality tale than a horror film. Surprised to hear it was produced by Blumhouse and they gave it a sequel??

Washing it down tonight with Spontaneous Combustion and maybe a revisiting of Repulsion.

While I didn't hate it as much as you, it's probably one of the hardest theater watches I've ever sat through.... usually, at a movie theater, even a bad movie will hold my attention due to the fact that's the only thing you're supposed to be doing. With that one, I was fighting not leaving to go into a different theater and see something else.

jholmes 10-04-18 09:02 PM

I watched 4 movies from the elevator horror list today. Down was really good, I thought. I gave it a 7/10. I also watched Patrick (1978), which had a guy stuck in an elevator shaft. Great classic 70's horror. Also watched Tales from the Crypt (72) and Vault of Horror (73). Both very strong Amicus portmanteau films.

The tagline on an old Patrick poster I found is hilarious:
<b>Cruel. Controlling. Comatose.</b>

numbercrunch 10-04-18 09:29 PM

All this Dark Shadows talk makes me want to pull out my Blu Ray of The House of Dark Shadows movie. I really like it.

numbercrunch 10-04-18 09:41 PM

Also watching The Sleeper 2012 which is a homage to 80s slasher films. I honestly thought it was an early 80s slasher until i looked it up. They did an amazing job recreating the 80s atmosphere. The killer uses a hammer which for some reason really makes the hair on the back of my neck stand up. recommended - check it out.

DaveyJoe 10-04-18 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by numbercrunch (Post 13420178)
All this Dark Shadows talk makes me want to pull out my Blu Ray of The House of Dark Shadows movie. I really like it.

It's giving me flashbacks to when we had the Dark Shadows movie as a subset pick a couple of years ago. As someone who had never seen an episode of the show, I had no idea what was going on.

Trevor 10-04-18 10:13 PM

Bingo!

brainee 10-04-18 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 (Post 13420122)
Sounds like there's a lot of fun ahead for me. So far, it just feels like 80 episodes of Roger Collins looking down his nose at everyone.

Don't forget David acting like a brat, Caroline acting like a spoiled princess, and Vicky acting pretty much oblivious to everything!

Originally Posted by MysterioMan007 (Post 13420122)
Sounds like there's a lot of fun ahead for me. So far, it just feels like 80 episodes of Roger Collins looking down his nose at everyone. Looking forward to seeing what Barnabus brings to the show when I finally do reach that portion of the show.

You're a ways off from Barnabas (he shows up in episode 210). But it sounds like you're getting close to where the show morphs from gothic melodrama into horror.

rbrown498 10-05-18 12:56 AM

Originally Posted by numbercrunch (Post 13420178)

As I've mentioned before, House of Dark Shadows is my favorite vampire film, bar none. It's pretty much got everything--a rainy funeral, a hot vampire chick, creepy yet stunningly gorgeous locations, and a general air of decay and isolation. Maybe it helps that I saw it in the theater, first-run, as a child.

Mondo Kane 10-05-18 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane (Post 13403353)
Anyone know what’s up with the Halloween Flix channel? The description says “Watch over 40 premium horror movies for free”. But I click there and all I see is AFV Halloween clips and makeup tutorials(?)

This channel finally seems to be running. There's the usual Lugosi freebies, but they've got a dozen or so movies from the 2000s.

WillieMLF 10-05-18 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Surfinhank (Post 13419756)
It's a follow up/sequel to Resolution, which I personally loved (though it's not for everyone). If you saw that and liked it you may like The Endless. I didn't like it as much as Resolution but it still has some great stuff in it.

I sat down and watched it last night, and immediately recognized the Resolution scene with the guy chained to the mattress. I really liked both movies.

Indy24LA 10-05-18 08:01 AM

I blind bought Ghost Stories (2018) in September and it paid off last night. It was a very well done and entertaining horror anthology.

Undeadcow 10-05-18 08:30 AM

Started watching ABCs of Death 2.5 because I didn't think I had; then realized I watched it last year but am already committed.
It is interesting how ABCs of Death episodes, as hit and miss as they are, are so short and really do a lot to establish mood and story in a short time. Often these are so far out or gory as a result of needing to hook people in near immediately. I think there's a lot of potential for super short film anthologies beyond what ABCs of Death has done.

Trevor 10-05-18 08:34 AM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 13420305)
Started watching ABCs of Death 2.5 because I didn't think I had; then realized I watched it last year but am already committed.

Yeah, I do that a lot too. Both forgetting that I’ve seen something, and not being able to stop once I’ve started.

I don’t keep a database or spreadsheet of my collection, but I do try to rate every film I watch in IMDb. I’m not close to 100% diligent in doing so, but getting better.

jholmes 10-05-18 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Indy24LA (Post 13420290)
I blind bought Ghost Stories (2018) in September and it paid off last night. It was a very well done and entertaining horror anthology.

Ghost Stories (2018) is so good! I second that recommendation.

Trevor 10-05-18 11:30 AM

According to a comment ShoutFactory made on a recent Facebook post, their annual Shocktober sale will start this coming Monday (the 7th) at 10am. They also say it will be ‘a little different this year’. Hopefully they mean ‘good’ by that.

WillieMLF 10-05-18 12:01 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor (Post 13420391)
According to a comment ShoutFactory made on a recent Facebook post, their annual Shocktober sale will start this coming Monday (the 7th) at 10am. They also say it will be ‘a little different this year’. Hopefully they mean ‘good’ by that.

Well, they haven't been including chalky candies or anything like that, so I assume it will be that + tepid pricing = 'different'. Score!

brainee 10-05-18 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow (Post 13420305)
It is interesting how ABCs of Death episodes, as hit and miss as they are, are so short and really do a lot to establish mood and story in a short time. Often these are so far out or gory as a result of needing to hook people in near immediately. I think there's a lot of potential for super short film anthologies beyond what ABCs of Death has done.

Is 2.5 any good? I liked the first two. True, they vary wildly in quality and tone but that's part of the appeal. But the combination of 2.5 being essentially a demo reel for inexperienced filmmakers and all being the letter "M" didn't make it sound appealing.

I watched The Endless for the summer Sci-Fi challenge and really liked it. Though I can see how people going in expecting a straight-up horror/sci-fi story may come away confused and disappointed. I really enjoyed Spring and Resolution as well.

Darkgod 10-05-18 01:01 PM

Think I skipped day 3.. but heres Day 4s video.

https://youtu.be/PiwY8bt1O54

Trevor 10-05-18 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by Darkgod (Post 13420424)
Think I skipped day 3.. but heres Day 4s video.

https://youtu.be/PiwY8bt1O54

Undeadcow 10-05-18 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by orlmac (Post 13418455)
Undeadcow has already mentioned a Thai film but I'm still going to throw in my recommendation for Phobia 2 streaming on Netflix. It's an anthology and so it's uneven as you would expect but I found something good in every story and really liked most of them. It's a good way to get one of the foreign language films if you don't speak Thai.

I also really enjoyed Phobia 2; it's got nicely ambiguous characters and an intelligent script. Comparing it to over movies this month Phobia 2 has a morality 'come-up-ance' that is unfortunately missing in many horror films. Sobering twists in a series of stories where the characters are often ambiguous, both good and bad enough to be sympathetic. I can think of more than a few films that are missing some of the 'heart' in heart wrenching that we see with Phobia 2. Some great concepts with more depth at play. I especially liked the first segment and the trucker one (well also the film crew one, and the salvage one – which is nearly all).

Originally Posted by brainee (Post 13420402)
Is 2.5 any good? I liked the first two. True, they vary wildly in quality and tone but that's part of the appeal. But the combination of 2.5 being essentially a demo reel for inexperienced filmmakers and all being the letter "M" didn't make it sound appealing...

If you enjoyed the previous 2 ABCs of Death then I definitely think 2.5 is worth seeing - there's some crap segments in it but also ones that are zany and far out enough to be worth a view. My favorite segments are M is for Magnetic Tape, M is for Mailbox, and M is for Mom - which are handled in much more creative ways then the titles alone let on. None of the segments seem low budget or amateur and if anything it’s more the content that’s hit and miss; it makes one wonder how these can look so polished and indie films can sometimes look so indie. As far as a general recommendation of ABCs of Death while I like them I find they can be draining because so many ‘push the envelope’ in refreshingly gorey or intentionally over the top ways it takes a bit to come back from (just not a fan of the poop humor in some).

davidh777 10-05-18 02:18 PM

In other challenges, I want to post to keep the discussion going. In this one, I feel anything is just going to get buried anyway. :lol:

Finally got around to seeing the Tom Cruise mummy movie. The goofy tone that wanted to play like an Indiana Jones movie, or the Brendan Fraser mummy series, didn't work for me. :shrug: