Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Subset construction is officially underway!

Previously used subsets used can be found on post 3.

2018 themes list can be found here.

Subset volunteers needed: 3

IMDB advanced title search

Horror Films by year starting 1895

Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Old 09-19-18, 05:49 PM

Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

How do you guys count the pre-1910s shorts? Do they even add up to 1 full entry without supplementing with other short films or TV?
Old 09-19-18, 08:12 PM

Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 14: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I don't count them at all and I only gave my thoughts because so few had. If there are many that are opposed I do like I try to do with everything else, I go with the flow.
Old 09-19-18, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn

Is the 'theatrical showing' subset missing any films?
  • The Meg
  • The Nun
  • The Predator
  • Assassination Nation
  • The House with a Clock in its Walls
  • Venom
  • Await Further Instructions
  • The Dark
  • Killer Kate!
  • Knuckleball
  • Goosebumps 2: Haunted Halloween
  • Hell Fest
  • Suspiria (2018)
  • Halloween (2018)

That list looks much smaller than last year's bunch. I guess the new Halloween sequel with the terrible title (that I'm looking forward to) is scaring everyone away. Or I missed a few?

Last edited by Chad; 09-20-18 at 06:04 PM.
Old 09-19-18, 11:07 PM

I read that Tales From The Hood 2 isn't being released in theaters. It's supposed to be straight to video.
Old 09-19-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bladz View Post
I read that Tales From The Hood 2 isn't being released in theaters. It's supposed to be straight to video.
And it gets even smaller. Maybe I included some VOD only titles on last year's list or something. I don't know.
Old 09-19-18, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Chad View Post
  • The Nun
  • The Predator
  • Assassination Nation
  • Venom
  • Hell Fest
  • Halloween (2018)

That list looks much smaller than last year's bunch. I guess the new Halloween sequel with the terrible title (that I'm looking forward to) is scaring everyone away. Or I missed a few?
Venom is horror??? If you are in LA or NY, Suspiria is being released on the 26th or 28th.
Old 09-19-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
Venom is horror??? If you are in LA or NY, Suspiria is being released on the 26th or 28th.
According to the IMDB, it's 'Action, Horror, Sci-Fi'. And added to list.
Old 09-20-18, 07:19 AM

• The Nun
  • The Predator
  • Assassination Nation
  • Venom
  • Hell Fest
  • Suspiria (2018)
  • Halloween (2018)

Not sure if "The Meg" will still be in theaters in Oct.
Old 09-20-18, 07:22 AM

Looks like these three are all "opening in select theaters" to go with their VOD releases in October:

Await Further Instructions
The Dark
Killer Kate!
Old 09-20-18, 07:38 AM

Originally Posted by alyxstarr View Post
Looks like these three are all "opening in select theaters" to go with their VOD releases in October:

The Dark
Killer Kate!
We've got Knuckleball opening the first week of October. Tagline is, 'Do what grandpa says, or DIE!'
Old 09-20-18, 06:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by jholmes View Post
Not sure if "The Meg" will still be in theaters in Oct.

Originally Posted by alyxstarr View Post

The Dark
Killer Kate!

Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
We've got Knuckleball opening the first week of October. Tagline is, 'Do what grandpa says, or DIE!'
Just what I was looking for! Added to the list.
Old 09-20-18, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just stumbled on this link I forgot to give as a theme suggestion:

The Posters of Laurent Melki

And you have to click 'En voir plus' a few times to get all 66.

Oh well, next year.
Old 09-20-18, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And two more theme suggestions for next year, both of which are taken from checklist suggestions:

Rocksploitation Horror (59 titles)

Ouija Board Horrors (69 titles)

The latter has an entire website dedicated to it.
Old 09-21-18, 06:41 AM

And two more theme suggestions for next year, both of which are taken from checklist suggestions:

Rocksploitation Horror (59 titles)

Ouija Board Horrors (69 titles)

The latter has an entire website dedicated to it.
Ouija board movies looks fun!
Old 09-21-18, 07:29 AM

Ouija board movies looks fun!
Agreed, but please don't make me watch any of those Ouija movies.
Old 09-21-18, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by WillieMLF View Post
Agreed, but please don't make me watch any of those Ouija movies.
The first Ouija film blows, but Ouija: Origin of Evil works really well, and last year it was one of my favorite FTVs.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-21-18 at 08:41 AM.
Old 09-21-18, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by Gobear View Post
The first Ouija film blows, but Ouija: Origin of Evil works really well, and last year it was one of my favorite FTVs.
I did watch Origin last year for the challenge. Here's my snark from last year:

'44) Ouija: Origin of Evil (2016) - I came back into the series with a strong reluctance. This was MUCH better than the first one, but not great. Isn't a graveyard consecrated ground, and not just some place that has bodies?'

I had a very closed mind going into this one, so it was destined to not fare well.
Old 09-21-18, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A few checklist suggestions, or subset ideas for next year:

Changing the "Monster/ Creature feature" category to "Crytptids", aka mythical creatures that some people think are real, like modern-day dinosaurs, Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil, and so forth

---Masked murderers
---Human sacrifice
---Drunk Horror (scenes where characters are drunk or booze is prominent, like "Grabbers")
---Movies where a will is read, e.g. "Arnold"
---Flashback horror (where the story is told in flashback, e.g., the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers")
---Heel turn (where a character we thought was good turns out to be the killer/ monster, e.g., "The Faculty")
---Face turn (where a scary character turns out to be benign, e.g., "Lady in White")
---Final Girl (where the last person standing is a woman, e.g. "Friday the 13th," "Nightmare on Elm Street III")
---Clubs and dances (movies with dance scenes, e.g. "Carrie", "Fright Night"
---End credits song, (e.g., A song with lyrics plays at the end, "28 Days Later, the 1982 "Cat People")

I'm not sure if this is offensive, but what about "Gypsies" as a category, as in "Thinner" and "Drag Me to Hell"? Yes, I know Roma is the proper term, but nobody says that in horror movies.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-21-18 at 01:04 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 11:41 AM

Changing the "Monster/ Creature feature" category to "Crytptids", aka mythical creatures that some people think are real, like modern-day dinosaurs, Bigfoot, the Jersey Devil, and so forth

---Masked murderers
---Human sacrifice
---Drunk Horror (scenes where characters are drunk or booze is prominent, like "Grabbers")
---Flashback horror (where the story is told in flashback, e.g., the original "Invasion of the Body Snatchers")
---Heel turn (where a character we thought was good turns out to be the killer/ monster, e.g., "The Faculty")
---Face turn (where a scary character turns out to be benign, e.g., "Lady in White")
---Final Girl (where the last person standing is a woman, e.g. "Friday the 13th," "Nightmare on Elm Street III")
---End credits song, (e.g., A song with lyrics plays at the end, "28 Days Later, the 1982 "Cat People")

I'm not sure if this is offensive, but what about "Gypsies" as a category, as in "Thinner" and "Drag Me Down to Hell"? Yes, I know Roma is the proper term, but nobody says that in horror movies.
I think the most appropriate End credit song is from Cold Prey:

On a related note, it seems a US remake of Cold Prey is in the works.

Last edited by WillieMLF; 09-21-18 at 12:51 PM.
Old 09-21-18, 11:45 AM

---Masked murderers
---Human sacrifice

I'm not sure if this is offensive, but what about "Gypsies" as a category, as in "Thinner" and "Drag Me Down to Hell"? Yes, I know Roma is the proper term, but nobody says that in horror movies.
I like the gypsy/Roma idea. I always like those kinds of movies.
The only problem with the "turn" movies is, just by virtue of being on the list, there's a huge spoilier! :-)
Old 09-21-18, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The only problem with the "turn" movies is, just by virtue of being on the list, there's a huge spoilier! :-)
I'm not a fan of checklist items that end up being spoilers; I sometimes browse through other lists for ideas and that would be a buzzkill. Clever ideas from GoBear otherwise. Maybe the spoilery ones could be changes to just 'a character is other than they appear to be' or something more general and perhaps less spoiler.
Old 09-21-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I didn't want categories to be spoilery, but I do like the idea of having a twist box to check. Maybe next year we could have a subset using Undeadcow's idea, "Things Are Not What They Seem." That's sufficiently vague to cover any kind of bizarre left turn in the plot

What about adding a God Will Get You for That, Walter horror check where a film includes a character who is a priest or a nun or a minister or a rabbi?
Old 09-21-18, 01:28 PM

What about adding a God Will Get You for That, Walter horror check where a film includes a character who is a priest or a nun or a minister or a rabbi?
I like that. I think I had it on my checklist suggestions too, at least priest/nun.
Old 09-21-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

---Masked murderers
---Human sacrifice

I'm not sure if this is offensive, but what about "Gypsies" as a category, as in "Thinner" and "Drag Me to Hell"? Yes, I know Roma is the proper term, but nobody says that in horror movies.
Added to post 9.
Old 09-21-18, 08:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Alright, the group decision has been made on whether or not to drop the decades of 1890, 1900, and 1910 from the checklist, and that was to remove them. However, it was an extremely tight race, so I enacted the jholmes idea of a 'pre-1930' category as a compromise of sorts, which offers 148 titles. Also the requirement of checking 8 has been lowered to 6 since the decade offerings dropped from 13 to 10. I hope that's satisfactory for everyone.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.