Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 9th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 9th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-18, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: The 9th Annual Animation Challenge Discussion Thread!

Originally Posted by orlmac
I have a late question on the checklist. I have always watched foreign films in their language reading their subtitles. This year our good friends at Netflix decided to dub some of their french foreign films which has messed up my checklist plans. If the film is listed as French in the IMDB and shows only being in French and then a provider puts it in english does it still qualify since you are still getting a foreign animated film?
I'm going to say no since the whole concept of watching something for that check mark is to watch it in a different language. A dub is different than the subtitles, in my opinion. You can still get the original actors emotions through their voice even if you don't understand the language.

I'm open to listening to arguments for it to count though...
Old 08-30-18, 11:49 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Nope, I have no arguments for it. I prefer to keep the idea behind the checklist, I'll just look even deeper for something. Thank you for the swift reply!
Old 08-30-18, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Finished off Kaiba, yesterday, and looking to finish The Adventures of Rocky and Bullwinkle and SuperMansion today. I guess I'll pick Space Dandy back up and squeeze in some movies and whatnot for today and/or tomorrow. Should finish around 200; better than some, worse than others.
Old 08-30-18, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Nope, I have no arguments for it. I prefer to keep the idea behind the checklist, I'll just look even deeper for something. Thank you for the swift reply!
You're welcome! I saw this just as I was walking out the door so it was a bit lucky at the timing...

Introducing my youngest niece (10) to Bedknobs and Broomsticks tonight. We were listening to my ipod in the car and she didn't recognize one of the songs (the locomotion one) and luckily it counts for the challenge!
Old 08-30-18, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

We're coming down to the wire! The last day of the challenge! If you're planning on participating in the Criterion challenge, there are several crossovers.

Akira, Fantastic Planet, Fantastic Mr. Fox, and Watership Down, Jason And The Argonauts, King Kong, Robocop. Also, there is animation in the By Brakhage and Science is Fiction box sets

Also, if you can think of any ideas for next year, please post them and I'll add them to the first post for discussion!
Old 08-31-18, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by LJG765
You're welcome! I saw this just as I was walking out the door so it was a bit lucky at the timing...

Introducing my youngest niece (10) to Bedknobs and Broomsticks tonight. We were listening to my ipod in the car and she didn't recognize one of the songs (the locomotion one) and luckily it counts for the challenge!
I absolutely love that movie. Hopefully, your niece will as well. I watched my new BD this month, and it looks amazing!
Old 08-31-18, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Last day of the Challenge. I've been watching Strange Magic (2015), before bed for a couple of days and I should finish it off this afternoon. I think it's been unfairly maligned, even though, yes, it is flawed, yet there's still plenty to like about it.

I am going to watch Mary and the Witch's Flower (2017), tonight, for sure. That's the plan at least. Squeeze in at least one episode of Space Dandy, too, as well as some sundry shorts, maybe.

I don't feel like I'm burnt out, but I think I've had enough animation for a while, at least till October when the second season of Castlevania turns up. And I'll keep up with MLP season 8 as the episodes continue to drip out weekly (on Prime), for the next month or so. Okay, so maybe I haven't had quite enough animation after all.
Old 08-31-18, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I absolutely love that movie. Hopefully, your niece will as well. I watched my new BD this month, and it looks amazing!
She said she enjoyed it! I'm not sure how true that is, but I know she enjoyed the musical numbers at the very least! I still have the 25th Anniversary BR. I tend to only double dip when I can get a really good deal or if it's one of about 3 movies I allow myself to splurge on. I'll sometimes make an exception for a superior visual experience, but it'd have to be pretty bad for me to upgrade for that alone.

Not sure what my last watch(es) will be. Have unexpected company coming in. Will get something in though, just not sure what!

Hope everyone is having a good last day!
Old 08-31-18, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I got in an episode of Transformers: Headmasters , LJG. I’ve had the trilogy of Japanese G1 series for a long time. I’m glad to finally start watching episodes I have never seen before. Might watch more next month.
Old 08-31-18, 05:32 PM

I finished off the checklist and my challenge this afternoon. I managed to watch 104 different shows/episodes for a little over 55 hours worth. As always, I had a blast with the challenge and really appreciate the work LJG765 does since he does two challenges back to back. I have no suggestions for next year because I think following the checklist really makes me watch a variety of animation. I do want to give a shout out to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for the prizes. I am seldom lucky but when I have been I have loved what I got. I hope everyone has a strong finish. I am going to rest now so that I can get ready for the Horror Challenge. It will take most of the month of September to get ready for it.
Old 08-31-18, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I finished off the checklist and my challenge this afternoon. I managed to watch 104 different shows/episodes for a little over 55 hours worth. As always, I had a blast with the challenge and really appreciate the work LJG765 does since he does two challenges back to back. I have no suggestions for next year because I think following the checklist really makes me watch a variety of animation. I do want to give a shout out to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for the prizes. I am seldom lucky but when I have been I have loved what I got. I hope everyone has a strong finish. I am going to rest now so that I can get ready for the Horror Challenge. It will take most of the month of September to get ready for it.
I plan to watch horror myself in September. Some Criterion and some not.
Old 09-01-18, 09:14 AM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I almost completed my watch of Archer, but was just too tired to stay up last night and watch the last few episodes.

Thanks for running a great challenge LJG765 and thanks to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for continued generosity in providing prizes.
Old 09-01-18, 11:09 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Finished with one of my faves, The Lego Movie. Thanks to LJG765 for running a fun challenge and to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for the prizes.
Old 09-01-18, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for a fun Challenge, LJG. I started Season 1.2 of GI Joe yesterday, so thinking of continuing my cartoons. I got out of GI Joe for a little while when I was binging Transformers , but about a week ago, I got back into it when I watched a CGI GI Joe movie called Spytroops . I used to have it on VHS, but I haven’t had a vcr in years.
Old 09-01-18, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks to everyone for a great challenge! Animation is one of my favorite types of entertainment to watch and it's fun to indulge for such a long period of time!

I managed to finish the checklist this year and watched something everyday...except the last day! Whoops! Had visiting company and just totally forgot to watch a short before I went to bed. Still, pretty pleased with what I ended up watching!

Now for the bit everyone is waiting for: The prize winners!

As a reminder, the 3 winners will be given a price limit ($15-$17) to use to pick out their own prizes over at HamiltonBooks.

Please note that will have to have an address in the United States to be eligible for prizes.

Winners, please accept either here or private message me. I will forward your names to GoldenWheels to confirm you've won. Once you've done that, you may pick out your prize, send that information and your address to GoldenWheels. Finally, please post what you've picked here so we can see!

One last thing: Please claim your prizes by midnight central time, Tuesday, Sept. 4th, 2018.

Thanks again to GoldenWheels and Hamiltonbooks!!

Now...the winners! Congratulations to:

hbsvb
mrcellophane
LorenzoL
Old 09-01-18, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Congrats to the winners, and a big thanks to Goldenwheels and Hamilton Books for their sponsorship.
Old 09-01-18, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

Thanks LJG765 for running the challenge, thanks Goldenwheels and Hamilton Books for the prizes, and congrats to the winners!
Old 09-01-18, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Congrats to the winners, and thanks to Hamilton/GoldenWheels for sponsoring! And thanks to LJG for running consecutive challenges--take a nap in September.

I traveled and had guests this month so my numbers were poor, but I did sneak in a first-time watch of Waking Life. Interesting rotoscope style, but it was too much philosophical discussion for me.

Glad people are still watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks. It was a childhood favorite for me, and I recently bought a digital copy.
Old 09-01-18, 08:40 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Wow, I won a prize!

Thanks again to LJG765 and GoldenWheels.
Old 09-01-18, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Congrats to the winners, and thanks to Hamilton/GoldenWheels for sponsoring! And thanks to LJG for running consecutive challenges--take a nap in September.

I traveled and had guests this month so my numbers were poor, but I did sneak in a first-time watch of Waking Life. Interesting rotoscope style, but it was too much philosophical discussion for me.

Glad people are still watching Bedknobs and Broomsticks. It was a childhood favorite for me, and I recently bought a digital copy.
I may do just that! Running the challenges right after to each other isn't too rough, but since I participate in these quite heavily, I am ready for a break from watching come Sept! The hard part is I like the Criterion challenge too, but I usually give myself a week then join in on it.

I've watched Waking Life at some point, but honestly, I just remember it being very esoteric, so I get where you're coming from!

I almost wish I had waited before showing it to my niece! My sister and the rest of their family came to visit overnight and then all go back home today. I discovered last night that my older niece hadn't seen it and neither had my sister nor her husband! I could understand my bro-in-law, but my sister?! I mean, I've owned a copy since the early to mid 90s. In VHS first, then DVD...If we hadn't just watched it, I would have made them last night. Oh well!
Originally Posted by hbsvb
Wow, I won a prize!

Thanks again to LJG765 and GoldenWheels.
You did! Congrats again! I have passed along your name to GoldenWheels so he will be on the lookout for your message to him with your choice! Don't forget to put your address in the message so he knows where to send it!
Old 09-01-18, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Thanks to the awesome LJG765 for hosting and the also awesome GoldenWheels of Hamilton Books for sponsoring (and providing cinephiles with amazing deals - just got a package last week)! I cannot believe I won! It's a nice topper to a fun month of cartoons.
Old 09-02-18, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Thanks to the awesome LJG765 for hosting and the also awesome GoldenWheels of Hamilton Books for sponsoring (and providing cinephiles with amazing deals - just got a package last week)! I cannot believe I won! It's a nice topper to a fun month of cartoons.
Congrats again! I'll send your name onto GoldenWheels so he'll know to look for your message! And it's very cool that you buy from the company that sponsors us!
Old 09-02-18, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was able to watch a good amount of animation in August, but didn't do the checklist this year. I think Trollhunters is my favorite original cartoon on Netflix.
Old 09-03-18, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unfortunately our 3rd winner, LorenzoL, is ineligible for the prizes, so congrats to our first runner up, orlmac!

As a reminder, the winners will be given a price limit ($15-$17) to use to pick out their own prizes over at HamiltonBooks.

Please note that will have to have an address in the United States to be eligible for prizes.

Winners, please accept either here or private message me. I will forward your names to GoldenWheels to confirm you've won. Once you've done that, you may pick out your prize, send that information and your address to GoldenWheels. Finally, please post what you've picked here so we can see!

One last thing: Please claim your prizes by midnight central time, Wednesday, Sept. 5th, 2018.

Thanks again to GoldenWheels and Hamiltonbooks!!
Old 09-03-18, 06:06 PM

Hey, I'll be glad to take a runner up prize, sorry that LorenzoL was ineligible. I'll send GoldenWheels a message with my selection and address!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.