Reload this Page >

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- I and II may finally be dead, but I'll leave them for now. III was reported still active in Jan.
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

10% off Whole Order
HEYTHERE -- unknown exp

15% OFF Single Item
EASTEREGG
I think this is now expired

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-18, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

^For the past year or so, YT has been my main savior for these challenges. About to watch one from there in a few.

A good opening day, so far, for me...Considering that I sat through an entire Insane Clown Posse-movie which (To my great surprise) turned out to be tolerable. One Other cringeworthy problem (If Dimension X is watching) was my first movie starring Uschi had her in a blasted wig At least my Neola was spared
Old 04-01-18, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

There's also a wealth of made-for-TV movies available on YouTube. Last night, I watched two from 1972: When Michael Calls and Night of Terror. They were pretty effective thrillers with great casts.
Old 04-01-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Could Pineapple Express be considered a qualifier as a stoner film?

Also, saw Unsane at the theatre. Might count it as a wild card?
Old 04-01-18, 11:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Pineapple Express, yes on Stoner.

Not sure about Unsane. Does it fit any of the criteria?
Old 04-01-18, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I watched Killdozer, on YouTube earlier tonight. It really made me miss the days of the Sunday Night Movie, on network television when I was a boy.
Old 04-02-18, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by caligulathegod
Pineapple Express, yes on Stoner.

Not sure about Unsane. Does it fit any of the criteria?
The review on Mubi has the byline "Steven Soderbergh's surprising and expressive experiment shot on an iPhone, Unsane is also the director's most unabashedly pulpy film." and ends by saying "In a director’s oeuvre that moves so nonchalantly from mainstream cultural products to openly experimental endeavors and everywhere in between, this slight B-movie stands as one of Soderbergh’s most memorable and perversely urgent."

I'll wildcard it.
Old 04-02-18, 11:57 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

I took a break after the October Horror challenge. I feel motivated again, so I decided to jump into the Drive-In / Exploitation Challenge. I really enjoy this challenge.

What better way to kick things off than Dirty Harry?!
Old 04-02-18, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I'm leaning toward an Angela Mao film tonight. I was considering Lady Whirlwind (1972), but she's made better, so now I'm thinking Hapkido (1972) or Broken Oath (1977), a loose remake of Lady Snowblood (1973), which I should consider digging out for a watch.

Last edited by coyoteblue; 04-02-18 at 03:07 PM.
Old 04-02-18, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

^Hapkido’s got a great cast, but Broken Oath is more fun.
Old 04-02-18, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Diabolik has a Garagehouse Pictures sale that includes Trailer Trauma 4: Television Trauma for $15. It's currently $28 on Amazon, and they don't drop in price very often.

And was Fernando Di Leo removed from the safe list? I could swear I remember it being there.
Old 04-02-18, 07:10 PM

I don' think I have removed very many, if at all. The old lists are still unedited after the challenge is over. I wanted to cut down on the "Stripper does a few straight to DVD" actresses. Nine years on, I'm starting to get a little more selective on inclusion on safe lists. They should have some significance in the genre. I added Fernando.
Old 04-03-18, 07:45 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

I had a Razzie double feature last night with the recent Baywatch and CHIPS movies.
Old 04-03-18, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Diabolik has a Garagehouse Pictures sale that includes Trailer Trauma 4: Television Trauma for $15. It's currently $28 on Amazon, and they don't drop in price very often.
Kudos for the FYI. I picked up 1 & 4.
Old 04-03-18, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

If anyone wants to dig deep in to the "WTF!" territory and doesn't mind X-rated films, Bat Pussy is something you have to see. I can't properly explain just how inept this movie is in every way but it was one of the funniest ways I've ever spent 50 minutes.
Old 04-03-18, 12:27 PM

I watched Bat Pussy a couple months ago when I got the Blu-ray (!). You HAVE to watch it with others, as no one will believe your descriptions of it. It's worth at least a watch just for the story.
Old 04-03-18, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Just finished a movie that gets me double credit for this Challenge, as well as one I’m participating in on a Facebook group I’m in, Godzilla vs Biollante . The other Challenge is an 80s Horror Challenge.
Old 04-03-18, 03:05 PM

OK, this movie has one of the greatest opening credits ever. Nine Deaths of the Ninja. It's a cross between James Bond opening credits and that old 80s show "20 Minute Workout". The whole movie is available on Youtube.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/GfOMlpJplro?ecver=1" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 04-03-18, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

OK, this movie has one of the greatest opening credits ever. Nine Deaths of the Ninja. It's a cross between James Bond opening credits and that old 80s show "20 Minute Workout". The whole movie is available on Youtube.
Those opening credits are GLORIOUS! Who knew that ninja ballet was something I needed in my life? I may have to give the film a shot. I watched two Sho Kosugi films that Arrow released in the U.S. and thoroughly loved them!

Yesterday, I watched Doomwatch, an eco-terror film based on an earlier BBC series. It was a bit stale until things start breaking down on the island being evaluated by "Doomwatch" (basically the British EPA). I picked it up cheap from a Kino Lorber sale, and it gave me enough 70s British cheese to keep in my collection. Also, I'm a sucker for eco-message films (which are almost universally not very good).
Old 04-03-18, 09:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm off to a pretty good start. Sunday morning I watched the last of the Charlie Chan Monogram movies which completed my viewing of all the classic Hollywood Chans. The last two in the Monogram run (The Feathered Serpent and The Sky Dragon) were actually pretty good. Roland Winters was starting to work for me as Charlie and Keye Luke was back as Number One Son. That evening I watched The Man From Hong Kong a fun Australian film starting Jimmy Wang Yu that started me on a Wang Yu kick (so to speak). Yesterday I watched Master of the Flying Guillotine which was just awesome. Today I followed up with Beach of the War Gods which was almost as good. Beach might be a better made movie but there were a lot of mass battles which were well done but for me at least get to be the same after a while. Guillotine featured a lot of one on one fights with many different weapons and styles which I found more entertaining. Also the last fight between Wang Yu and The Master was just great. Both of these were written and directed by Wang Yu. I plan to watch at least a couple more of his films but need a break for now. Not sure what's up next.
Originally Posted by Chad
And another thank you to Chad for this. I picked up TT4 and The Dismembered to spread out the postage a bit. I already have the other Trailer Traumas.
Old 04-03-18, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Speaking of The Man from Hong Kong, there's a new-ish (not sure how long it's been out), all-region (A, B, C) blu out from Umbrella Entertainment. Which is nice, but what's really cool is that it includes SD versions of five other Trenchard-Smith movies: DEATHCHEATERS (1976), STUNT ROCK (1980), KUNG FU KILLERS (1974), DANGERFREAKS (1989), THE STUNTMEN (1973). It's just about worth picking up just for Stunt Rock alone, much less the upgrade to The Man from Hong Kong.

Also, there's a new Drive-in Delirium blu-ray, DRIVE IN DELIRIUM: THE NEW BATCH, 175 re-mastered trailers, plus VHS Delirium another 95 minutes of SD trailers. Also region all.
Old 04-03-18, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
^For the past year or so, YT has been my main savior for these challenges. About to watch one from there in a few.
Thanks for noting when you watch a YT vid, I've watched several just because they were on your list.

I watch a lot of B-Movie TV. Over the past few years, that channel has helped me fill in a big hole in my low-budget movie watching - '80s and '90s action movies, plus lots of other stuff I hadn't seen (or didn't know I wanted to see).
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
A good opening day, so far, for me...Considering that I sat through an entire Insane Clown Posse-movie which (To my great surprise) turned out to be tolerable. One Other cringeworthy problem (If Dimension X is watching) was my first movie starring Uschi had her in a blasted wig At least my Neola was spared
I'll try and check out my copy of that one soon.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
If anyone wants to dig deep in to the "WTF!" territory and doesn't mind X-rated films, Bat Pussy is something you have to see. I can't properly explain just how inept this movie is in every way but it was one of the funniest ways I've ever spent 50 minutes.
I watched Bat Pussy a couple months ago when I got the Blu-ray (!). You HAVE to watch it with others, as no one will believe your descriptions of it. It's worth at least a watch just for the story.
I almost picked that Blu-ray as my prize from Hamilton Books a couple months back, but finally decided on The Zodiac Killer (I already had both movies) because the second feature on it looked like it would be more interesting than the one on Bat Pussy. So was Robot Love Slaves any good?
Old 04-04-18, 10:30 AM

Robot Love Slaves was a snooze.
Old 04-04-18, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm continuing my foray into made-for-TV cheese on YouTube. I watched two featuring late-in-life Barbara Stanwyck turning in awesome, intense performances: The House That Would Not Die and A Taste of Evil. The latter was reworked into No Where to Hide which is a bit better. I also watched Death Car on the Freeway which has a lot of car stunts and explosions. It's about this driver who intentionally kill women driving on the freeway.

I've also been watching Dick Tracy's G-Men, the third Tracy serial. I'd read that the quality really dips after the second series, but I'm really enjoying it. Tracy is going after an international spy who seems to have bottomless resources and equally bottomless plans to spread chaos and crime. Jennifer Jones plays Gwen the secretary before she was known as Jennifer Jones and won an Academy Award.
Old 04-04-18, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Threads is a great watch for what I assume would be a fairly accurate depiction of a nuclear winter and the effects a nuke war would have on us all... it's also one of the biggest day ruiners I've ever seen.
Old 04-04-18, 02:51 PM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Threads is a great watch for what I assume would be a fairly accurate depiction of a nuclear winter and the effects a nuke war would have on us all... it's also one of the biggest day ruiners I've ever seen.
Just got Threads in the mail. I was looking forward to it. By "day ruiners" i assume you mean it is depressing?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.