Reload this Page >

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: caligulathegod
Assume that all of these are available to all customers unless specifically listed as member only like the Welcome Package. Also remember that any preliminary codes are just that and BN could pull it, change the details or exclusions anything prior to release so always a bit of YMMV until the final release date

Mini FAQ
Coupons should not work for PREORDERS , Nook, Legos, Rosetta Stone, Digital, Gift Cards, Memberships, etc. There are glitches where sometimes an excluded item will be allowed but assume that is the exception to the rule
Free Shipping is $25 (before tax/shipping) or with membership.
Max 3 GC on a single online order.
Online only a single code can be applied to an order
Return period is 14 days after delivery (possibly 30 days for members though I've never tried)
Online ordered items can returned to a local store unless it's classified as a web-only item then it's at the store's discretion to accept
The long standing Free 60 day Trial Offer was discontinued in late May 2016

STORE ONLY 15% OFF Coupons -- I and II may finally be dead, but I'll leave them for now. III was reported still active in Jan.
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (I)
15% OFF Single Item Exp 12/31/2017 (II)
15% OFF Single Item Exp ?? (III)

10% off Whole Order
HEYTHERE -- unknown exp

15% OFF Single Item
EASTEREGG
I think this is now expired

"New Member" Welcome Coupons
Welcome coupons may be dead -- or at least the type that have been available for nearly a decade. The latest set now have what appears to be single use codes so these probably no longer will be generic/multiple use style.
Print Wikipost

Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-18, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: Ninth Annual Drive-In/Exploitation/B-Movie Challenge April 1-30, 2018

I didn’t have much motivation this year, so only got a few movies in all month. I consider it a quality over quantity month though, as I enjoyed every single movie that I did watch. Thanks for a fun month, Caligula.
Old 05-01-18, 07:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Thanks, as always, caligulathegod! Didn’t dive deep into embracing exploitation this month, but kept my viewings mostly Challenge-eligible, averaged about one item a day, and had fun exploring some unseen weird niches of my collection. Always enjoy that aspect of Aprils!
Old 05-01-18, 09:03 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts

Thanks all - It was great to do the Challenge again after a few years off. I didn't meet my paltry goal of 50, and I didn't participate in the thread...but on the other hand, I did watch Bat Pussy.
Old 05-01-18, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Of course, Tremors 6 shows up in the mail today...
Old 05-01-18, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Really need to see Bat Pussy.

I somehow managed to rack up my best total in years, but just missed the big 1-0-0 by a smidge. I'll try and do a best list of list, that is, if I can ever narrow them down enough. There surprisingly weren't many unbearable watches this year.

Total: 95
FTV: 81
Blu-ray: 63
Streaming: 31
DVD: 1

Thanks for another fun one, caligulathegod!
Old 05-03-18, 08:20 PM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I finally got my list finalized. I made a new personal best this year beating my previous high by two.

Total =107 FTV =100
Media: DVD =78 BluRay =21 Streaming =7 VHS =1

I also finished the checklist (except the optional items) with duplicates but without using any of the free spots.

The three films I liked best were:
Master of the Flying Guillotine
Beach of the War Gods
Pit Stop

The first two were directed by and starred Jimmy Wang Yu. The third was directed by Jack Hill and had a great role for Sid Haig.

I ran across a great example of a so-bad-it's-good movie in Alley Tramp directed by Herschell Gordon Lewis. Very poorly made and acted but I was laughing all through the movie. I also watched the Blackhawk serial which was better than I remembered. There were some good cliffhangers and there were also some outdoor industrial locations used (oil field, gas plant) for chases and fights which made things interesting. Kirk Alyn was a good looking Blackhawk and they handled the team aspect pretty well (there are seven Blackhawks altogether). My least favorite film was Take Me Naked by Michael and Roberta Findlay which was pretty boring despite nudity and a touch of violence. I didn't really run into that many duds this year, most of what I watched was at least tolerable.

I had a great time once again. Thanks to caligulathegod and everyone who participated.
Old 05-11-18, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

Might be a bit of a delay on final count. I will complete as soon as I get some spare time.
Old 05-11-18, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Sorry I kinda shit the bed on this one. I didn't have a lot of time for watching for whatever reason.