Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-17, 08:40 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Chad, you might have missed these in my earlier post, or they're just bad ideas:

Maybe add, read a horror magazine, to the optional literary world section?

Also, just a thought, but maybe instead of "recently deceased" being just an annual checklist item in the big list of complete 30, make it a separate full list in the area of cast and crew? That way, one would not have to open that separate link on the line item, and could more easily track multiple watches if they decide to try to watch one of each.
Old 09-19-17, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

thats a damn good subset list. i only seen 12 of them wich is actually low.
Old 09-19-17, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Waiting for the review threads to go up:
Soon, all will be revealed. Including why it's taking so long for the theme and subset tables to go up.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Chad, you might have missed these in my earlier post, or they're just bad ideas:

Maybe add, read a horror magazine, to the optional literary world section?

Also, just a thought, but maybe instead of "recently deceased" being just an annual checklist item in the big list of complete 30, make it a separate full list in the area of cast and crew? That way, one would not have to open that separate link on the line item, and could more easily track multiple watches if they decide to try to watch one of each.
Sorry, I've been overlooking quite a bit lately.

Anyway, both entries are up. Deceased actors is currently at 'watch 10' (out of 23). If that's too much let me know and I'll dial it down.
Old 09-19-17, 11:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Select 5 recently deceased actors:
--- Michael Parks -
--- Robert Hardy -

Chad - Just checked out the recent checklist updates you just did & was curious about the movie options for each deceased actor so clicked the links & noticed that the links were wrong for these two deceased actors so here are the right ones to make it easier for you

Michael Parks - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?adu...umentary,video

Robert Hardy - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?adu...umentary,video

Last edited by arw6040; 09-20-17 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 08:45 AM

Originally Posted by Chad
Soon, all will be revealed. Including why it's taking so long for the theme and subset tables to go up.
Hopefully it's just forum software difficulties. Thanks as always for all this amazing work Chad.
Sorry, I've been overlooking quite a bit lately.
I don't think you ever need to apologize in these threads.
Anyway, both entries are up. Deceased actors is currently at 'watch 10' (out of 23). If that's too much let me know and I'll dial it down.
Cool. Personally, maybe going from one item on the checklist to watching 10 seems overboard. Maybe 5 at the most?
Old 09-20-17, 11:42 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

It looks to me like we have all of the categories listed now. It would be nice to be able to flesh out a couple more anniversaries (as you have already said).
Old 09-20-17, 11:47 AM

Something to think about is adding the failed theme suggestions of R.I.P. Fangoria, 2 (1979 - 2016) / Video Watchdog (1990 - 2016) (any horror film that graced or was mentioned on the covers) (quite a few titles). They could help out anniversaries if we broaden it slightly.
Old 09-20-17, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Added Bernie Casey to the R.I.P. list.

Originally Posted by arw6040
Select 5 recently deceased actors:
--- Michael Parks -
--- Robert Hardy -

Chad - Just checked out the recent checklist updates you just did & was curious about the movie options for each deceased actor so clicked the links & noticed that the links were wrong for these two deceased actors so here are the right ones to make it easier for you

Michael Parks - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?adu...umentary,video

Robert Hardy - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?adu...umentary,video
Appreciate it!

Originally Posted by Trevor
Cool. Personally, maybe going from one item on the checklist to watching 10 seems overboard. Maybe 5 at the most?
Done.

Originally Posted by orlmac
It looks to me like we have all of the categories listed now. It would be nice to be able to flesh out a couple more anniversaries (as you have already said).
We could always use the Studies in Terror theme that didn't make the cut for its 5th anniversary. Better than nothing, I guess.

Originally Posted by orlmac
Something to think about is adding the failed theme suggestions of R.I.P. Fangoria, 2 (1979 - 2016) / Video Watchdog (1990 - 2016) (any horror film that graced or was mentioned on the covers) (quite a few titles). They could help out anniversaries if we broaden it slightly.
That one made the cut.

Last edited by Chad; 09-20-17 at 09:27 PM.
Old 09-20-17, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Heads-up: Subset pick Raw will be coming to Netflix on October 4th. As long as that theme night is placed after the 4th, that will help out a lot of folks in seeing it.
Old 09-20-17, 10:17 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Possible previously unused (I think) checklist people

Actors:
Rose McGowan
Tobin Bell
Dina Meyer
Michael Biehn

Composers:
Harry Manfredini
Old 09-20-17, 10:22 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
Heads-up: Subset pick Raw will be coming to Netflix on October 4th. As long as that theme night is placed after the 4th, that will help out a lot of folks in seeing it.
Awesome! This is one of my favorites for the year, so I'm excited for more people to be able to see it and have some discussions.

Hopefully this will also lead to a blu-ray release.
Old 09-20-17, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's currently scheduled for 10/9, so we're all set.

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
Possible previously unused (I think) checklist people

Actors:
Rose McGowan
Tobin Bell
Dina Meyer
Michael Biehn

Composers:
Harry Manfredini
They're up. That leaves just a few directors and makeup effects artists spots unfilled.
Old 09-21-17, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Awesome! This is one of my favorites for the year, so I'm excited for more people to be able to see it and have some discussions.

Hopefully this will also lead to a blu-ray release.
Boy did I make a good pick now And how does it NOT have a blu-ray release???

Speaking of Netflix, they are also adding Cult of Chucky in October which also should have been in the list of movies too watch now. Netflix is delivering the goods this October!
Old 09-21-17, 03:35 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
Speaking of Netflix, they are also adding Cult of Chucky in October which also should have been in the list of movies too watch now. Netflix is delivering the goods this October!
I am surprised Cult of Chucky didn't get a theatrical release. Looks like it went straight to VOD and Blu Ray/DVD
Old 09-21-17, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

That leaves just a few directors and makeup effects artists spots unfilled.
Makeup Effects Artists
Mark Shostrom - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm0795197
Robert Kato DeStefan - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm1449657
Autonomous FX, Inc / Jason Collins - http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...role=nm1038958
Old 09-21-17, 12:46 PM

Some director possibilities:

Mike Flanagan - Oculus, Hush, Ouija - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1093039/reference#director
Terence Fisher - lots of Hammer - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0279807/reference#director
Adam Wingard - V/H/S, Blair Witch - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1417392/reference#director
Mary Lambert - Pet Sematary - http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0005116/reference#director
Old 09-21-17, 01:07 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

For the anniversaries checklist category, another possible entry is the debut of the Sci-Fi Channel, 25 years ago in 1992. Of course not all of the Sci-Fi Pictures/Syfy original films are horror, but an awful lot of them are. Apparently their first ever "original film," airing in 1992, was a sci-fi/horror film called Homewrecker starring Kate Jackson as the voice of a smart house gone bad.

(Just spitballing; don't feel any obligation to use this if it doesn't fit with your idea of the type of "anniversaries" to include.)
Old 09-21-17, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Yet another passing, Bernie Casey:
Dr. Black and Mr. Hyde
Gargoyles
Ants!
In The Mouth of Madness
Vegas Vampires
Old 09-21-17, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
For the anniversaries checklist category, another possible entry is the debut of the Sci-Fi Channel, 25 years ago in 1992. Of course not all of the Sci-Fi Pictures/Syfy original films are horror, but an awful lot of them are. Apparently their first ever "original film," airing in 1992, was a sci-fi/horror film called Homewrecker starring Kate Jackson as the voice of a smart house gone bad.

(Just spitballing; don't feel any obligation to use this if it doesn't fit with your idea of the type of "anniversaries" to include.)
I like this idea also. There are plenty of Sci-Fi/SyFy Channel choices out there and I think it fits the anniversary concept. And I am certain that my agreeing with this one is not another case of me suggesting something that is already a theme night!
Old 09-21-17, 05:11 PM

^ Thanks Chad glad I could help regarding the proofreading. I also just looked over the checklist again for brainstorming more for my possible watchlist ideas as you continue to update more (always a blast planning out ideas), I noticed you have "select five recently deceased actors" is it supposed to be "select 5 recently deceased actors -or- directors"? I know horror directors tend to star in some movies through cameo type roles mostly but if you select them should watch a movie the deceased directed if they are mainly a director?
Old 09-21-17, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'll get the rest of the checklist suggestions up soon. Just need to take a brief pause to post something that needs posting tonight.

Originally Posted by numbercrunch
I am surprised Cult of Chucky didn't get a theatrical release. Looks like it went straight to VOD and Blu Ray/DVD
The previous one (Curse) didn't get one either. Originally they were going to do a big budget remake and that never materialized. Once it became a sequel the studio apparently didn't have enough confidence in it after the failure of Seed. That's what I've heard, anyway.

Originally Posted by alyxstarr

Added! I need to see Homewrecker.

Originally Posted by arw6040
^ Thanks Chad glad I could help regarding the proofreading. I also just looked over the checklist again for brainstorming more for my possible watchlist ideas as you continue to update more (always a blast planning out ideas), I noticed you have "select five recently deceased actors" is it supposed to be "select 5 recently deceased actors -or- directors"? I know horror directors tend to star in some movies through cameo type roles mostly but if you select them should watch a movie the deceased directed if they are mainly a director?
Thank you for catching that. And yeah, it definitely is a blast!
Old 09-21-17, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Themes and Subsets are up.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13161868-post281.html

They're a bit different.

Old 09-21-17, 09:29 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

They're a bit different.
And super cool!
Old 09-21-17, 09:30 PM

They're a bit different.
Wow looks awesome! All your hard work in making this & the rest is very much appreciated as always 😃
Old 09-21-17, 10:16 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Looks great Chad and I love that subsets and themes are now combined together!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.