Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-17, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Themes and Subsets look awesome!!
Old 09-22-17, 06:55 AM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Bladz
Looks great Chad and I love that subsets and themes are now combined together!
Agreed. Such terrific work and the table layout rocks.
Old 09-22-17, 07:06 AM

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Themes and Subsets are up.

https://forum.dvdtalk.com/13161868-post281.html

They're a bit different.
Bravo. Well done Chad!
Old 09-22-17, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Nicely formatted subsets and theme days list! Just 8 more days to go...
Old 09-22-17, 10:44 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

This list is really awesome, Chad! Also loving the blurbs that go along with each theme/subset. Really can't wait for the challenge to begin!
Old 09-22-17, 11:13 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
This list is really awesome, Chad! Also loving the blurbs that go along with each theme/subset. Really can't wait for the challenge to begin!
It really is well done.

And you don't have to wait! Join the Criterion Challenge and watch the dozens of qualifying horror films there.
Old 09-22-17, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on the lists! Can't wait to get this baby rollin'! And no thank you, Trevor. I just cannot watch horror movies in September (barring extenuating circumstances of course). Plus don't have the time to even keep up with posts. Always crazy busy just before the OHMC begins.
Old 09-22-17, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

So what else needs to be done to get this checklist done? Just realized I have a race next weekend and I'm out of town early next week. Going to try and plan this a little better this year....
Old 09-22-17, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
It really is well done.

And you don't have to wait! Join the Criterion Challenge and watch the dozens of qualifying horror films there.
What if you don't have Filmstruck? My sub lapsed and I didn't have enough on my card to renew it?
Old 09-22-17, 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by shadokitty
What if you don't have Filmstruck? My sub lapsed and I didn't have enough on my card to renew it?
Criterion films can be found everywhere all other films are found. I've watched Criterions this month on Netflix, Amazon Prime, Vudu, HBO, GooglePlay, DVD, Disney Movies Anywhere, YouTube, etc etc
Old 09-22-17, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Also check your local library. Mine has quite an extensive DVD collection, including a lot of Criterion films.

Gosh, I'm excited about this horror challenge! I've got quite a few films that I want to watch and goals I want to accomplish such as bolstering my Tobe Hooper knowledge. Hopefully, my October won't be as busy as my September.
Old 09-22-17, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by WillieMLF
So what else needs to be done to get this checklist done? Just realized I have a race next weekend and I'm out of town early next week. Going to try and plan this a little better this year....
It's practically done. The remaining suggestions have already been given, I just need to put them in. The rest is dependent on what everyone thinks.
Old 09-23-17, 11:13 AM

It's practically done. The remaining suggestions have already been given, I just need to put them in. The rest is dependent on what everyone thinks.
Checklist looks great too! I already printed it for research, so no changes!

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't want to add these to your master list since they're optional and you're stubborn , but here are the optional subset days for the copy&paste subset block if anyone wants them for their post:

--- 09/30: group vote - Chronos (1993)

--- 11/01: group vote - Arachnophobia (1990)
--- xx/xx: wildcard - any horror theatrical showing (2017)
Old 09-23-17, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Checklist looks great too! I already printed it for research, so no changes!

Also, I'm pretty sure you don't want to add these to your master list since they're optional and you're stubborn , but here are the optional subset days for the copy&paste subset block if anyone wants them for their post:

--- 09/30: group vote - Chronos (1993)

--- 11/01: group vote - Arachnophobia (1990)
--- xx/xx: wildcard - any horror theatrical showing (2017)
I'm definitely stubborn, yes. Still, I put up them up top separate from the main list. That way anyone not interested can simply not copy/paste them.
Old 09-23-17, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And forgot to mention the checklist was finished yesterday.
Old 09-23-17, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Oh, and finally found another entry for the 'anniversaries' section on the checklist...

Santo's 100th birthday.

Now there's four options.

Old 09-23-17, 11:47 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Oh, and finally found another entry for the 'anniversaries' section on the checklist...

Santo's 100th birthday.

Now there's four options.
I had never heard of Santo until I found him in one of your banners years ago, and now I've finally found some DVDs I plan to watch this year. Any recommendations in particular? Is going chronologically a bad idea (or even possible)?
Old 09-25-17, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Always love seeing the posters Chad puts up in the subsets I especially love the Alucarda one!
Old 09-25-17, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Always love seeing the posters Chad puts up in the subsets I especially love the Alucarda one!
I always wondered where Seth got his avatar, and now I know.
Old 09-25-17, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I had never heard of Santo until I found him in one of your banners years ago, and now I've finally found some DVDs I plan to watch this year. Any recommendations in particular? Is going chronologically a bad idea (or even possible)?
I did it chronologically and had fun with it. Took me awhile but they were mostly good. The latest ones weren't all that special but not completely awful.
Old 09-25-17, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I did it chronologically and had fun with it. Took me awhile but they were mostly good. The latest ones weren't all that special but not completely awful.
While I've heard of El Hombre Lobo, I've never heard of the Santo movies.
Old 09-25-17, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

While I've heard of El Hombre Lobo, I've never heard of the Santo movies.
I ended up liking everything enough to where I was reading up on the history of him, and the ones that replaced him, the few times when his mask would come off in public so people could officially see who he was, etc.

All in all, it was pretty interesting.

The only bad thing I remember about the entire deal was when horrible cgi popped up when I hit a more recent movie where he fought aliens or something. It's been probably 10 years or more since I sat and watched them all in order.
Old 09-25-17, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think I've only caught a couple of them. One of them was Samson vs. the Vampire Women and it has a pretty great MST3K riff.

Spoiler:
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/zJDkuBeV_QA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Might have to pick up a few of the VCI DVDs.
Old 09-25-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

One more thing before before this thread stops serving its purpose. Theme and subset wildcard additions. Currently we only have 'watch a theatrical film' as a subset wildcard.

And before kicking off voting, are these all the suggestions:
  • Have Criterion and Comedy crossovers count as wildcards
  • Add 'watch a previous subset film' as an option to make up a subset
  • Using a live event as one theme night wildcard.

Last edited by Chad; 09-26-17 at 05:19 PM.
Old 09-25-17, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

One more thing before before this thread stops serving its purpose. Theme and subset wildcard additions. Currently we only have 'watch a theatrical film' as a subset wildcard. [/LIST]
I vote for no changes to theme/subset wildcards. Keep theatrical screening as a wildcard for theme days but no other addition. I dont think the theme days should be too open ended otherwise it defeats the purpose.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.