Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-17, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Chad
Honestly, it wasn't easy to interpret all the responses. There were two definite "no changes" votes. However, the very same people that voted that way were also in favor of 'watch a previous subset'. Then someone agreed with both, which I took as a vote for each. You're not making this easy, people.

I *think* 'watch a previous subset' one by one vote?

Yeah, just wanted to make sure there's no further changes before posting.
I believe I was one of the no votes. I just want to clarify that I thought adding watch a previous subset film would be good as a checklist item, not a wildcard for themes or the daily subset.

I would be curious how many people voted for changing things. Trevor is the most vocal supporter and sort of took up that mantle, so it can be hard to gauge consensus without knowing how many more actually voted.
Old 09-30-17, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

Originally Posted by Trevor
Imho, when there are less than 30 or so votes, screw the votes and do what you think is best. The vote input being that low shows that most don't care, and it won't be truly representative. Sort of like our national elections....
Originally Posted by clckworang
I believe I was one of the no votes. I just want to clarify that I thought adding watch a previous subset film would be good as a checklist item, not a wildcard for themes or the daily subset.

I would be curious how many people voted for changing things. Trevor is the most vocal supporter and sort of took up that mantle, so it can be hard to gauge consensus without knowing how many more actually voted.
And that changes things entirely. I'll be like a slightly more competent Judge Judy and post the outcome on the actual themes/subset table in a couple of days. Remind me if I forget.

In the meantime...

Please take any matters from here to the Discussion Thread.

We can't have a pre-challenge thread open in October.

It has served its purpose; let it die peacefully.

Old 09-30-17, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I do think 'watch a previous subset film' would make a good checklist item in the future. [...or 'watch and comment on a prior subset film thread'].

Also, I recommend streamlining the RIP checklist in coming years. There are a lot of names on it and many of them have just marginal horror output; granted it's a 'pick 3' option but the list sadly takes up a lot of room and looks imposing. I love the idea of memorial theme days for heavy hitters (like we've done with Romero and Hooper) that are recently departed and while the acknowledgment is good I think that just 'watch a movie with a recently deceased contributor' might work for the rest.
And if you reread this comment, Undeadcow also mentioned it as a checklist item, not a wildcard.

As a side note, it's really strange that my phone's vocabulary seems to now include Undeadcow.

Edit to add: sorry, I should have read to the end and taken this to the main thread.
Old 09-30-17, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks to clckworang (whose phone I'm now haunting) for clarifying - I am against wild cards for theme nights; just in favor of previous subset as a checklist addition.

Last comment from me in this thread...