Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases
Old 01-11-19, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Forum Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Chad
Print Wikipost

Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checklist)

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-17, 01:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

I think this is the place to offer to donate prizes. I'd like to offer one gently used blu-ray of Beware! The Blob to a US winner.
Old 09-05-17, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts
Re: Pre-Horror Challenge 13: Building of the Optional Lists (Themes, Subset, & Checkl

There have been some times I have been thankful for Chad doing whatever subset curating that he does do; even if somehow questionable stuff gets through.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 09-05-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 09-05-17, 03:12 PM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

I'd like to volunteer as tribute but I have no idea what's available on any streaming sites.
Old 09-05-17, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by mallratcal
I'd like to volunteer as tribute but I have no idea what's available on any streaming sites.
Canistreamit.com
Old 09-05-17, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
Canistreamit.com
I'm not sure if that site knows I'm not in the US, but everything shows as "Not available for streaming, rental, or purchase" for me.
Old 09-05-17, 04:51 PM

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

It's not strictly necessary that a subset title be streaming; it just shouldn't be something obscure or inaccessible. If a title is streaming for a portion of participants that's just a bonus. Personally I'd rather see a subset film that's a really great movie than one that's mediocre but on Netflix (Remember that time we all ordered 'cheap' DVDs of Killer Tongue? What a bunch of suckers). Definitely join up for some subset picks even if you can't be sure they're available by streaming.

In the past the incomparable Alyxstarr has posted videos of subset titles so even those that weren't on Netflix could be accessed.
Old 09-05-17, 07:20 PM

Well in that case:

Friends 'till the End: PIN or The Craft
Serial Killers: Manhunter
Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell : Angel Heart or The Craft

I've only seen The Craft but the others are talked about fairly highly.

Hobgoblins for lowest rated horror.

Night of The Scarecrow (not the TV movie) is a fun cheesy movie that would fit Video Stores, as it was direct to video. It would also fit Witchcraft. Just off the top of my head.
Old 09-05-17, 07:34 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
In the past the incomparable Alyxstarr has posted videos of subset titles so even those that weren't on Netflix could be accessed.
I am indeed planning to post all the subset films again!

I'm also in agreement that I would rather people not limit themselves to only picking films available on streaming.
A) No guarantee they'll still be streaming by the time the assigned day rolls around.
B) Assumes everyone has access to (e.g.) Netflix US.
C) Takes a lot of great (or at least interesting) films out of the running!
It's a bonus, as Undeadcow says, but I hope people are still suggesting films they genuinely want to be included even if they're not streaming.

I haven't given my suggestions yet, so here they are:

-Caribbean Islands ~ Central American ~ Hispanic Icons ~ Mexican ~ South American:
Pieces (1982) (Puerto Rico) (streaming on Shudder)
Penumbra (2011) (Argentina) (bonus: takes place during a solar eclipse)
The Witch's Mirror (1962) (Mexico)
Alucarda (1977) (Mexico)

-Animated Horror Films:
Perfect Blue (1997)
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust (2000)
Monster House (2006)

-Horror Anthologies:
Vault of Horror (1973)
Cat's Eye (1985)
Grim Prairie Tales (1990)

-It Was a Dark & Stormy Night...:
The Monster (2016) (streaming on Amazon Prime)
Home for the Holidays (1972)
Ghost in the Machine (1993)
Old 09-05-17, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

We love you, Alyx!
Old 09-05-17, 08:18 PM

Would these films be on youtube type site?
Old 09-05-17, 08:33 PM

Received 96 Likes on 36 Posts

Would these films be on youtube type site?
I put them up on Google Drive. So playback capabilities are similar to Youtube, but they're basically private videos (i.e., you need the URL -- which Chad will post in the subset threads -- to access them).
Old 09-05-17, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by alyxstarr
I put them up on Google Drive. So playback capabilities are similar to Youtube, but they're basically private videos (i.e., you need the URL -- which Chad will post in the subset threads -- to access them).
Awesome!

I used to put videos on Youtube for a different group, until they deleted my accounts.
Old 09-05-17, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

It's getting there folks, I promise. A very abundant selection to work with this year.

Based on what I have so far, I will say we're a little shy on suggestions for older films (pre-1980s) since the 1950's theme was removed.

Originally Posted by Trevor
I always forget how it exactly goes down. I think we're now in mass recommendation mode, but any hour now Chad will assign themes to the volunteers. Then each of us will choose a qualifying film, possibly using the recommendations, and hopefully picking something that is streaming and/or easily obtained. I try to make my choice within this thread, asking advice and getting multiple confirmations before locking it in.
Yeah, I'm currently still in the first phase of the selection process. Just trying to fill as many themes with what's available and not have to ask repeatedly for more suggestions.

As soon as I hit the next phase (hopefully soon), I'll announce the names of those whose suggestions couldn't be used for whatever reason, in addition to the remaining unused themes. Those people pick a theme (or I can assign you one; whatever you prefer) and give a few more suggestions for said theme. And hopefully by this point the remaining volunteers have surfaced.

Originally Posted by clckworang
There's probably a little bit of black magic involved.
Somewhat, yes.

Well in that case:

Friends 'till the End: PIN or The Craft
Serial Killers: Manhunter
Demonic Possession / Satanic / Witchcraft / Hell : Angel Heart or The Craft

I've only seen The Craft but the others are talked about fairly highly.

Hobgoblins for lowest rated horror.

Night of The Scarecrow (not the TV movie) is a fun cheesy movie that would fit Video Stores, as it was direct to video. It would also fit Witchcraft. Just off the top of my head.
You're added to the list.

---> 3 spots remaining. <---

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
It's not strictly necessary that a subset title be streaming; it just shouldn't be something obscure or inaccessible. If a title is streaming for a portion of participants that's just a bonus. Personally I'd rather see a subset film that's a really great movie than one that's mediocre but on Netflix (Remember that time we all ordered 'cheap' DVDs of Killer Tongue? What a bunch of suckers). Definitely join up for some subset picks even if you can't be sure they're available by streaming.

I'm also in agreement that I would rather people not limit themselves to only picking films available on streaming.
A) No guarantee they'll still be streaming by the time the assigned day rolls around.
It's a bonus, as Undeadcow says, but I hope people are still suggesting films they genuinely want to be included even if they're not streaming.
I'll do my part by trying to include a healthy mixture of everything.

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
We love you, Alyx!
Old 09-05-17, 11:29 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Chad, I think you missed my previous post.

Originally Posted by hbsvb
Since you still need volunteers, I thought I would try my first subset pick. Here are some suggestions.

Zombies - The Girl With All the Gifts (2016) - Amazon Prime

Caribbean Islands - Juan of the Dead (2011)

Serial Killers - The Midnight Meat Train (2008) - Amazon Prime

Animated - Hotel Transylvania 2 (2015) - Netflix

Pregnancy - Shelley (2016) - Netflix

Day of the Woman - Evolution (2015) - Netflix
Old 09-05-17, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by hbsvb
Chad, I think you missed my previous post.
My bad! You're on there now.

---> 2 spots left. <---
Old 09-05-17, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts

I'll get the pizza, you bring the beer.
So there!

On that note, I know we got people in SoCal that do this challenge. We should set something up one night and make it a party. Has that been done before?
Old 09-06-17, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

This is a really good point, and I wanted to add a few based on this. I don't typically use Netflix, but I did get a large gift card last year to try it out. Typically I've looked on Youtube for most of the choices, which most likely have at home on some type of media.

Here are a few personal choices:

Zombies - The Last Man on Earth (1964)
Small Town Horror - The Autopsy of Jane Doe (2016) - I haven't really seen this one, but I have the Shout disk. I've heard good things, but I've tried to limit my intake of information on this one as I want to see it fresh. Does anyone know a better theme, as I'm guessing here?

Has anyone seen They Look Like People (2015)?

Last edited by WillieMLF; 09-06-17 at 09:14 AM.
Old 09-06-17, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 145 Likes on 97 Posts

Oh man, Sonny Landham has died. No real major horror beyond Poltergeist (1982), and possibly Predator (1987). He was in loads of Water Hill movies, and even The Private Afternoons of Pamela Mann (1974)....
Old 09-06-17, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crossover Group Voting

Vote for a suggestion from each category below taken from post 8. Or throw in your own suggestion(s).

Criterion Crossover
The Blob (1958)
Cronos (1993)
Cat People (1942)
Island of Lost Souls (1932)

Comedy Crossover
Evil Dead 2 (1987)
Gravy (2015)
Jennifer's Body (2009)
Scouts Guide to the Zombie Apocalypse (2015)
Arachnophobia (1990)
Chopper Chicks in Zombietown (1989)
Ed Wood (1993)
Slither (2006)

Last edited by Chad; 09-07-17 at 11:11 PM.
Old 09-06-17, 09:12 PM

Criterion - Cronos
Comedy - Ed Wood
Old 09-06-17, 09:36 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Criterion - Cronos
Comedy - Arachnophobia
Old 09-06-17, 09:39 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Can I throw in a few more suggestions?

For the Criterion crossover: Cat People (1942) or Island of Lost Souls (1932)
For the Comedy crossover: Slither (2006)
Old 09-06-17, 09:44 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

For Criterion I loved Cronos but I would absolutely vote for Island of Lost Souls also.
Old 09-06-17, 10:14 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

Criterion: The Blob

Comedy: seconding rbrown's Slither suggestion.
Old 09-06-17, 10:36 PM

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Criterion: Cronos
Comedy: Arachnophobia

Also, a few more suggestions:

Candyman (1992) - Chronological Face-Off or Urban Legends

The Conjuring (2013) - Supernatural

Wait Until Dark (1967) - Chronological Face-Off

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.