Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-16, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

The Polar Express is one I *think* I like but will have to watch it again to be sure. I saw it for the first time last year and, while I kept getting distracted by the animation, recall enjoying the story. I need to watch it again.

Holiday Affair and Bad Santa are two I like and normally put in the "I'll try to get to them" list. Mitchum's character in Holiday Affair just seems a bit "smarmy" to me and it turns me off a bit but I *do* like the story overall.

The first time I saw Bad Santa I felt the profanity was just a bit too much and wasn't *too* sure about it, but it's grown on me with each viewing. It's certainly not a film I'll watch with anyone else in the family as they'd all be offended by the language (I'm far more tolerant with that).

I've seen Scrooge (1951) once, as far as I can recall, but I purchased a copy last year and plan to work it in sometime this season to see if I like it better than that first viewing. Mind you, it's not "bad" but I like A Christmas Carol (1938) better and, with the exception of Blackadder's Christmas Carol, normally watch a single version of that story each year.
Old 11-23-16, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 12th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/20 - 1/1)

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I don't particularly care for It's A Wonderful Life. I know. I know. Don't shoot me, but I just find the movie too damned depressing.
It's a Wonderful Life is hands down my favorite Christmas movie (although it's not really a Christmas movie) and one of my favorite movies of all time. It's in my top 10. But depressing? It's depressing if you stop watching once he starts seeing life without himself. The end is one of the most inspiring endings of any movie EVER. But, to each his own
Old 11-24-16, 04:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees
It's a Wonderful Life is hands down my favorite Christmas movie (although it's not really a Christmas movie) and one of my favorite movies of all time. It's in my top 10. But depressing? It's depressing if you stop watching once he starts seeing life without himself. The end is one of the most inspiring endings of any movie EVER. But, to each his own
I'll admit that the ending is very inspiring. I just have trouble getting to that part because of him seeing life without himself. But perhaps I will give it another watch to see if my opinion has changed. Fair enough?
Old 11-24-16, 04:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did anyone happen to catch the 90th birthday celebration of The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade on NBC last night? I planned to watch it but sleep caught up with me and I slept all night.
Old 11-25-16, 12:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 425 Likes on 306 Posts

I was looking through Netflix, and saw The Ref. Is it any good, never seen it.
Old 11-25-16, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,021 Likes on 630 Posts

Yeah, The Ref is worth watching.
Old 11-25-16, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Spending time with family but still actually watching some films. Watched A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving which has definitely grown on me over the years and now I try to watch it around Thanksgiving. Also sat through National Lampoons' Christmas Vacation. Not a huge favorite, but I do love the cat scene. Have to admit, forgot how bad the language was until watching with my 9 year old niece! (Her mom was the one to suggest and put the movie it...luckily she had her headphones on for most of it and eventually went to play for the rest!)
Old 11-26-16, 08:26 PM

So I have no idea why I never searched for this, but I figured no one would actually make a list, but there is a Wikipedia page for Christmas episodes of TV shows. Tons of them are listed

Check It out here
Old 11-26-16, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^I believe that one, along with one for Thanksgiving episodes, has been posted in prior years but couldn't find it (admittedly, I didn't spend too much time looking). I *did* run across this one by Numes (that I *did* recall but hadn't yet looked up):

Originally Posted by Numes
It's probably worth noting that this challenge is more unique in how we count items. Everything counts as one, no matter how long or short it is.

I have to look at last years discussion thread, but I think we were going to put my master excel list on google docs or something so folks could add to it. I may have given it to someone whom I thought was going to help with that, but I'm not sure if anything was done.

Edit:
Ok, it looks like I updated it for a few days, but then got way too busy at work (ughh that was horrible.) We never did the google docs thing.

Here is where I was at:
Thanksgiving List (Post 74)
Christmas List (Post 75)
New Years / Misc List (Post 76)

1. I will try to incorporate additional shows from last years thread that people mentioned
2. I will also attempt to post to google docs. I just have to make sure we come up with a unified way to update it so it doesn't become a mess and doesn't need constant tweaking.
The posts linked haven't been updated for a few years but the lists are still valid.
Old 11-26-16, 09:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Mixed Nuts (1994) (I wish this one had a OAR release)
There *is* a OAR release of Mixed Nuts and I *own* a copy! I totally forgot it's in a 6 movie collection, "The Laugh Out Loud Collection." I picked up a copy a bit over a year ago as somewhat a "blind buy" (I'd seen most of the films) because of the listing showing 1.85:1 aspect ratio. I took a gamble that Mixed Nuts would be WS. It is, and is anamorphic!

The original Sony release was one of those WS/FS flipper disc releases that Sony re-released as FS only! With that in mind I did a comparison between the two discs and found what I suspected. The FS only release is open-matte and zooms/crops quite nicely on a WS set (1.85:1 so it's then in OAR). That makes me a bit happy as I can use it as a safety copy.
Old 11-26-16, 09:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Meant to post this yesterday, but it still works I think. Disney put a free short film, Cold Turkey, perfect for the day after Thanksgiving, in their app.
Old 12-01-16, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know if there are any other KC people besides me doing the challenge, but this looks really cool. The Kansas City Symphony is performing the score for Home Alone while screening the movie, December 21-22nd at the Kauffman Center. I'm tempted to go but can't justifiy paying their price for tickets.
http://tickets.kcsymphony.org/single...aspx?psn=10124
Old 12-01-16, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I don't know if there are any other KC people besides me doing the challenge, but this looks really cool. The Kansas City Symphony is performing the score for Home Alone while screening the movie, December 21-22nd at the Kauffman Center. I'm tempted to go but can't justifiy paying their price for tickets.
http://tickets.kcsymphony.org/single...aspx?psn=10124
That's cool... but for tickets in seats I could tolerate I'm with you. ~$80 each is a bit much, especially when not being able to select the seats in the section.
Old 12-01-16, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A few thoughts on my last few days of viewing, Jingle all The Way is a terrible movie. It was corny fun watching it as a kid, its terrible watching it as an adult, worthy of the 17% on Rotten Tomatoes. I miss Malcolm in the Middle, such a funny show, glad its on netflix. I have watched mostly hallmark movies so far, some really good movies from them I have enjoyed are Signed, Sealed, and Delivered for Christmas and A Very Merry Mix-Up.
Old 12-01-16, 03:07 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
There *is* a OAR release of Mixed Nuts and I *own* a copy! I totally forgot it's in a 6 movie collection, "The Laugh Out Loud Collection." I picked up a copy a bit over a year ago as somewhat a "blind buy" (I'd seen most of the films) because of the listing showing 1.85:1 aspect ratio. I took a gamble that Mixed Nuts would be WS. It is, and is anamorphic!

The original Sony release was one of those WS/FS flipper disc releases that Sony re-released as FS only! With that in mind I did a comparison between the two discs and found what I suspected. The FS only release is open-matte and zooms/crops quite nicely on a WS set (1.85:1 so it's then in OAR). That makes me a bit happy as I can use it as a safety copy.
This movie drove me crazy. I spent months trying to find a OAR copy. I'd contact eBay sellers, and they'd claim it was Widescreen, but I kept getting the FS version.

When I started to use Vudu, I found out that Mixed Nuts is available for Disc-to-Digital. So I upgraded that crappy FS DVD to widescreen 1080p HDX.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!overview/23731/Mixed-Nuts
Old 12-01-16, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by TheBigDave
This movie drove me crazy. I spent months trying to find a OAR copy. I'd contact eBay sellers, and they'd claim it was Widescreen, but I kept getting the FS version.

When I started to use Vudu, I found out that Mixed Nuts is available for Disc-to-Digital. So I upgraded that crappy FS DVD to widescreen 1080p HDX.

http://www.vudu.com/movies/#!overview/23731/Mixed-Nuts
That collection I purchased comes with digital codes for all 6 films. I gave them to my son but don't know if he redeemed them. I should ask and redeem them myself if he didn't.
Old 12-01-16, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Monkees
So I have no idea why I never searched for this, but I figured no one would actually make a list, but there is a Wikipedia page for Christmas episodes of TV shows. Tons of them are listed

Check It out here
Thanks for pointing that list out. I found some Christmas episodes of some of my favorite series' on that list that I wasn't even aware of.
Old 12-02-16, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There are Christmas episodes of many different shows. As an example, I just finished the Christmas episode of one of my favorite 80s cartoons, GI Joe, 'Cobra Claws Are Coming To Town', in which Cobra plans to attack a city using Joe vehicles, so the country would think they turned traitor.
Old 12-04-16, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Watched and really liked "A Fitzgerald Family Christmas", an Ed Burns film I hadn't heard of until recently. Really liked the characters, the Irish Long Island working class feel of the film. The brief mention of the New York/Boston rivalry (which I was raised on), just made it all the more endearing.
Old 12-04-16, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
There are Christmas episodes of many different shows. As an example, I just finished the Christmas episode of one of my favorite 80s cartoons, GI Joe, 'Cobra Claws Are Coming To Town', in which Cobra plans to attack a city using Joe vehicles, so the country would think they turned traitor.
Awesome, adding this to my list to watch this year!
Old 12-04-16, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I don't know if there are any other cooking show competition enthusiasts out there, but I admit to watching them a lot. I really like the Holiday Baking Championship one that started last year. Every season, they have one themed for the major holiday, so right now is Christmas/Thanksgiving. I like the judges-Duff Goldman and 2 others-because they are critical without being mean. The contestants are often home cookers and they are always so glad to be there, helping each other a bit even or supporting each other. The worst part is you never get a chance to eat what they make!
Old 12-04-16, 09:49 PM

I hit 100 today. I'm on a roll this year. Watching a few I've never seen including The Judy Garland Christmas Special, which I saw a snipett of on a series called "Too Young to Die".
Old 12-05-16, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LJG765
I don't know if there are any other cooking show competition enthusiasts out there, but I admit to watching them a lot. I really like the Holiday Baking Championship one that started last year. Every season, they have one themed for the major holiday, so right now is Christmas/Thanksgiving. I like the judges-Duff Goldman and 2 others-because they are critical without being mean. The contestants are often home cookers and they are always so glad to be there, helping each other a bit even or supporting each other. The worst part is you never get a chance to eat what they make!
I often watch Food Network and Cooking Channel shows for this Challenge.
Old 12-05-16, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by LJG765
When I had my TV connected to cable (it's been "disconnected" for ~10 months now*) the Food Network cooking shows were some of my "go to" programs for those times I just wanted background noise or a distraction. Easy to watch and if you happen to miss a bit it's no big loss. Plus interesting dishes. And I 100% agree about your "worst part" comment.

*Even though my HD set is not connected to cable my old CRT is still up and running as I've just not made the time to take it all down and put the "new" one in its place. I rarely turn the CRT on (mainly if one of the grandkids gets run off grandma's set)... I keep saying I'll get this corrected by Christmas so I can watch the occasional Food Network/History/TLC program but...
Old 12-05-16, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I have been thinking of a few ideas for something different with my list. One for my wild cards. I saw this video from Red Letter Media, and have been thinking about adding some Cannon Films. Maybe Death Wish 3 or a few Chuck Norris movies I have yet to watch from some of my unwatched pile of dvds.

Also has anyone dared to watch The Christmas Tree? I know this video from the Nostalgia Critic is a few years old, but I still hope to watch it and see if its that bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.