Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 7th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/21 - 1/1)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 7th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/21 - 1/1)

Old 10-08-11, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The time has come... once again... for...

2010 Winner: HyperWeather (182)
2009 Winner: Trevor (287)
2008 Winner: Dimension X (250)
2007 Winner: Trevor (509)
2006 Winner: RobCA (128)
2005 Winner: FantasticVSDoom (35)

OFFICIAL RULES

-Movies, TV shows/specials, Short Films & Cartoons Count

-The movie or TV show DOES NOT need to be holiday oriented. It could simply take place during the holiday season (i.e. Batman Returns, Gremlins, Die Hard, etc.)

-Although the movie doesn't have to take place during the holiday season, a MAJORITY of the film HAS to take place during the holiday season. No movies with just one scene during the holiday season. If you're not sure, ASK!

-Any holiday from Thanksgiving through New Years Day may count

-A film can only be viewed once, UNLESS you watch it and then watched it again with a commentary

-There is no global goal, shoot for a personal goal. Whatever you want your goal to be go for it. For returning participants maybe your goal should be to beat a previous year's goal.

-Again, like past years there will be a THREE Wild Card option to include movies or TV shows you might watch during the holiday season that is not holiday oriented. My family used to watch Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory every Christmas. So anything is allowed, up to 3.

-Specials such as the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade, New Years Rockin' Eve, etc. can count, but you MUST watch the entire special in order to count it.

-PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE number your lists!

It doesn't matter how you see the film, VHS, DVD, Blu-Ray, HD-DVD, Laserdisc, Theatrical release, it can be counted. Just have fun.

The challenge begins at 12:00am CST on Monday November 21, 2011 and ends at 11:59pm CST on Sunday January 1, 2012

CHECKLIST

Spoiler:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving movie:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving TV episode:
--- Watch a Thanksgiving special:
--- Watch something animated about Thanksgiving:

--- Watch a Christmas movie:
--- Watch a Christmas TV episode:
--- Watch a Christmas special:
--- Watch something animated about Christmas:
--- Watch some version of A Christmas Carol:

--- Watch a New Year's movie.
--- Watch a New Year's TV episode.
--- Watch a New Year's special:
--- Watch something animated about New Year's:

--- Watch something Charlie Brown:
--- Watch something Garfield:
--- Watch an Oscar Winner:
--- Watch "It's a Wonderful Life"
--- Watch some version of "Miracle on 34th Street"
--- Watch "National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation"
--- Watch "A Christmas Story"

--- 1920s
--- 1930s
--- 1940s:
--- 1950s:
--- 1960s:
--- 1970s:
--- 1980s:
--- 1990s:
--- 2000s:
--- Watch a Film From the Year You Were Born:

--- Watch the MST3K version of a film/show.
--- Watch a film/show and its remake:
--- Watch a film/show based on or turned into a video game. -
--- Watch a film/show based on a novel:
--- Watch a silent film.
--- Watch a film/show with commentary.
--- Watch a film/show that takes place in space.
--- Watch a film/show that takes place on or under the sea.

Watch a film/show for each rating:
--- G:
--- PG:
--- PG-13:
--- R:
--- Unrated:

PLEASE KEEP THE DISCUSSION TO THIS THREAD

Enjoy the Horror Movie Challenge and I Look Forward to All Participants!

Last edited by The Monkees; 11-15-11 at 12:55 AM.
Old 10-08-11, 10:02 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 158 Likes on 117 Posts
Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 7th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/21 - 1/1)

I'm really looking forward to this one. I'll probably be very busy finishing up my move to Maryland, but I will have a wife and step-daughter to share a Challenge with for the first time. Most of the other Challenges aren't up their alleys, but this one should be a lot of fun, especially in later years when I'll have more time.
Old 10-10-11, 12:37 PM

Re: It's Beginning to Look A Lot Like The 7th Annual Holiday Challenge (11/21 - 1/1)

The First Annual November Comedy Challenge will also merge nicely with this one, as many holiday films/shows and films are comedies and could count for both Challenges those last 9 days of November.
Old 10-10-11, 01:14 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always look forward to this challenge, but never manage to reach my personal goal. However THIS YEAR, even though I won't be able to start until Dec 1st due to family & work arrangements,

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
The First Annual November Comedy Challenge will also merge nicely with this one, as many holiday films/shows and films are comedies and could count for both Challenges those last 9 days of November.
What is this "November Comedy Challenge" you speak fondly of?

Last edited by mike07; 11-15-11 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-10-11, 01:22 PM

Hmm, cool. I'll be able to participate in that as well since I watch mostly comedy films anyway.
Old 10-10-11, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to finally try and do this challenge from start to finish. At best I've only watched half a dozen things out of the previous ones combined.
Old 10-10-11, 09:49 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Yes, I love this challenge and holiday movies are probably the only ones I can watch over and over again every year.
Old 10-10-11, 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07 View Post
What is this "November Comedy Challenge" you speak fondly of?
Takingchase just started the official thread for it in the DVDTalk subforum.
Originally Posted by Indy24LA View Post
Yes, I love this challenge and holiday movies are probably the only ones I can watch over and over again every year.
I agree. Scrooged, It's a Wonderful Life, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas are perhaps the only DVDs I watch every year.
Old 10-10-11, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is going to be interesting. I have no idea what movies take place during the Holidays, so I'll def be looking to see what you all put down. I just know I'll get my kid cartoon shows in. Heck, I'll just DVR the entire ABC Family and Cartoon Network and call it a victory LOL.
Old 10-11-11, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
This is going to be interesting. I have no idea what movies take place during the Holidays, so I'll def be looking to see what you all put down. I just know I'll get my kid cartoon shows in. Heck, I'll just DVR the entire ABC Family and Cartoon Network and call it a victory LOL.
My favorite part of this is tracking down TV show episodes. They tend to be incredibly emotional and/or moving in their own right. Usually very sappy (i.e. Full House) but still fun to watch. I love the holidays and I always feel so happy during those times so I love to see TV shows/specials/movies that are very emotional in either a happy or (in the lesser case) sad.
Old 10-11-11, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by jacob_b View Post
You could look through all the old lists to get ideas for things that qualify.

But yes, you can also just DVR most of several channels during December to get thousands of hours of Christmas movies and TV episodes. I did that in a past Challenge or three, creating hundreds of DVD-Rs of Holiday content. Well, maybe not hundreds, but definitely over 150.
Old 10-11-11, 09:50 AM

This challenge is what first got me to post on DVDTalk, I think; I can't wait to take part again, and try and beat my 99 from last year (admittedly, a high percentage were TV episodes, but Christmas is all about the heartwarming TV specials for me)
Old 10-11-11, 09:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Which holiday are we talking about? There's over a dozen of them between Halloween and President's Day. I say we limit it to Christmas.
Old 10-11-11, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by Wezzo View Post
This challenge is what first got me to post on DVDTalk, I think; I can't wait to take part again, and try and beat my 99 from last year (admittedly, a high percentage were TV episodes, but Christmas is all about the heartwarming TV specials for me)
So close to 100! I couldn't have stopped at 99. It would have driven me crazy.
Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth View Post
Which holiday are we talking about? There's over a dozen of them between Halloween and President's Day. I say we limit it to Christmas.
It's mainly for the three major US holidays; Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's; but all the other holidays during the time frame are welcome as well. But in actual practice, it's 99% Christmas stuff.
Old 10-11-11, 11:21 AM

So close to 100! I couldn't have stopped at 99. It would have driven me crazy.
Haha, I know. Unfortunately both my fiancee and I got ill just before Christmas - too ill to even concentrate on TV properly! - and after Christmas I got consumed by all the new discs I'd received on the day

This year I intend to go well over the 100 barrier, though I won't be able to start until November 26, as we're on holiday from 21st to the 25th.
Old 10-11-11, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by The Monkees View Post
My favorite part of this is tracking down TV show episodes. They tend to be incredibly emotional and/or moving in their own right. Usually very sappy (i.e. Full House) but still fun to watch. I love the holidays and I always feel so happy during those times so I love to see TV shows/specials/movies that are very emotional in either a happy or (in the lesser case) sad.
For last year's challenge, I bought a sale copy of this DVD:

CHRISTMAS TREATS: 9 Heartwarming TV Classics
Christmas eps. from the following shows
The Lucy Show (1962)
Petticoat Junction (1963)
Beverly Hillbillies (1963)
The Odd Couple (1970)
Love American Style (1972)
Happy Days (1976)
Laverne & Shirley (1978)
Mork and Mindy (1978)
Cheers (1982)

It was a 2010 release from Paramount/CBS Video.

I looked for it on Amazon and found this:
http://www.amazon.com/Sets-Christmas...8349810&sr=1-1
The picture matches my set, although the description doesn't.
Old 10-12-11, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum View Post
For last year's challenge, I bought a sale copy of this DVD:

CHRISTMAS TREATS: 9 Heartwarming TV Classics
Christmas eps. from the following shows
The Lucy Show (1962)
Petticoat Junction (1963)
Beverly Hillbillies (1963)
The Odd Couple (1970)
Love American Style (1972)
Happy Days (1976)
Laverne & Shirley (1978)
Mork and Mindy (1978)
Cheers (1982)

It was a 2010 release from Paramount/CBS Video.

I looked for it on Amazon and found this:
The picture matches my set, although the description doesn't.
There's a similar one, HOLIDAY TREATS - I can't post URLs yet but it's listed in "similar products" on that item - with I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Taxi, Honeymooners, Brady Bunch, Family Ties, Wings and Frasier. That's the one the description is erroneously referring to, I think.
Old 10-12-11, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by Wezzo View Post
There's a similar one, HOLIDAY TREATS - I can't post URLs yet but it's listed in "similar products" on that item - with I Love Lucy, Andy Griffith, Taxi, Honeymooners, Brady Bunch, Family Ties, Wings and Frasier. That's the one the description is erroneously referring to, I think.
Yeah, I think I'd rather have that one.

Also, for this challenge I picked up a used box set at Book Off, that should keep me busy if I run out of everything else or simply get lazy:

FAMILY CLASSICS: HOLIDAY FAMILY FAVORITES 4-disc set/Mill Creek/
12 holiday movies, 27 Christmas cartoons

Family Movies:
Beyond Tomorrow Starring Charles Winninger (1940) B&W 84 Minutes
A Christmas Without Snow Starring Michael Learned (1980) Color 95 Minutes
The Great Rupert Starring Jimmy Durante (1950) B&W 87 Minutes
Little Women: Jo s Story Starring Kent Smith (1950) B&W 55 Minutes
Little Women: Meg s Story Starring Kent Smith (1950) B&W 55 Minutes
The Littlest Angel Starring Johnny Whitaker (1969) Color 90 Minutes
The Miracle on 34th Street Starring Thomas Mitchell (1955) B&W 60 Minutes
The Nativity Starring Hurd Hatfield (1952) B&W 50 Minutes
The Pilgrimage Play Starring Nelson Leigh (1949) Color 90 Minutes
Santa Claus Starring Jose Elias Moreno (1959) Color 94 Minutes
Santa Claus Conquers theMartians Starring Pia Zadora (1964)Color 81 Minutes
Scrooge Starring Seymour Hicks (1935) B&W 78 Minutes

Classic Christmas Cartoons
The Candlemaker Christmas Comes But Once A Year A Christmas Dream Christmas Fairy Tale Christmas Night A Christmas Tree The Christmas Visitor The Elf and Mr. Little The First Christmas Hector s Hectic Life Howdy Doody s Christmas Jack Frost Jingle Bells The Little Lamb The Little Match Girl Merry Christmas The Night Before Christmas O Come All Ye Faithful O Little Town of Bethlehem A Present for Santa Claus Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer Santa and the Fairy Snow Queen Santa and the Three Bears Santa Claus Story Santa in Animal Land Silent Night: Story of the Christmas Carol Snow Foolin
Old 10-13-11, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 95 Likes on 74 Posts

I still have my dvd list for this challenge on my computer, but now I can just fill up the dvr with movies and tv shows from cable. I'm in for another great year. For my own reference, hopefully I can get back over 100 again this year.
2006- 43
2007- 86
2008- 89
2009- 117
2010- 60

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 10-13-11 at 09:24 PM.
Old 11-08-11, 04:34 AM

I've been updating my spreadsheet of holiday-themed movies and TV episodes I own on DVD. Up to 60 movies and 400+ TV episodes. I've got a few dozen more holiday movies on my hard drive, too. Plenty of choice for the challenge
Old 11-08-11, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Another helpful resource is the Holiday TV schedule put together by Rob in this thread.

Here's a direct link to the list which will be updated frequently in coming weeks: Holiday Schedule
Old 11-08-11, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts

Takingchase just started the official thread for it in the DVDTalk subforum.

I agree. Scrooged, It's a Wonderful Life, A Charlie Brown Christmas, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas are perhaps the only DVDs I watch every year.
Same here with holiday films that get watched *every* year. My list is:

A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, Holiday Inn, Miracle on 34th Street (1947), and Christmas in Connecticut (1945).
Old 11-09-11, 12:43 AM

The list thread will be created sometime next week
Old 11-09-11, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

After shitting the bed this year for the Halloween challenge, all in for this especially after last years horrific holiday season for me... Time to jump back in head first.
Old 11-09-11, 09:58 AM
Banned

The only titles I ensure i watch every Holiday season are A Christmas Story, Christmas Vacation, and Dutch (Thanksgiving). Everything else is just gravy.

I have so many Christmas titles sitting on my shelf unwatched, that I hope to reach 100 this year (of course, work will probably get in the way of that goal).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.