Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-16, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I figured that's what you were going with based on what you'd watched, and went ahead and put it on the participants' list a day or two back.
Thanks! Sorry for being lame. I finally updated my list post with title and links to previous years.

I'm pretty close to finishing the first season of Agents of SHIELD but that might end up being my big achievement. Still hoping to get back to Jessica Jones.
Old 05-23-16, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts
Re: The Seventh Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2016

I've been plugging away at the massive piles of foreign films that threaten to topple over, trapping me underneath a metric ton of DVDs and BDs. (And that's not even counting my bloated Netflix queue.) I even managed to see the French cartoon April and the Extraordinary World at the museum theater. It's definitely worth seeing - on the big screen if at all possible. The world it creates is a steampunk nightmare created by a couple major historical differences.

I'm also on the path of completely all of my goals. Huzzah!
Old 05-23-16, 05:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I continue to make my way through the Star Trek universe. The last time I did this, I watched each show discretely (TNG then DS9 then VOY, etc.) but this time I'm watching the episodes more or less in the order they aired (4 episodes of DS9 season 5 then 4 episodes of VOY season 3). This way is far more interesting. Last time, it was painful to get through most of Voyager but now I just plow through the episodes because I know there are some damn good episodes of DS9 waiting for me at the end of the tunnel.

I should get to First Contact by this weekend and that is my favorite of the Next Gen films.
Old 05-24-16, 03:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I woke up early today, so decided to start today's challenge viewing early, with an episode of Chasin' the Sun, on the Sportsman Channel. The host was in Panama City, Florida fishing for Redfish.
Old 05-24-16, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I continue to make my way through the Star Trek universe. The last time I did this, I watched each show discretely (TNG then DS9 then VOY, etc.) but this time I'm watching the episodes more or less in the order they aired (4 episodes of DS9 season 5 then 4 episodes of VOY season 3). This way is far more interesting. Last time, it was painful to get through most of Voyager but now I just plow through the episodes because I know there are some damn good episodes of DS9 waiting for me at the end of the tunnel.

I should get to First Contact by this weekend and that is my favorite of the Next Gen films.
Meanwhile, on Star Trek: Voyager:

Janeway: We're here to rescue you, Mr. Kim and/or Mr. Paris. Inexplicably, we brought along Neelix and/or Kes. They are literally the worst.

Tuvok: Though I am an emotionless Vulcan, I intensely hate all of you.

Yeah, I'm somewhere in season 3 of Voyager, and I'm finding it a bit difficult to continue. I will, but I've been taking breaks. I tried to watch along with DS9, but that show is so good that I found myself judging Voyager very harshly.
Old 05-25-16, 12:38 AM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Yesterday I did a Studio Ghibli double feature with:

My Neighbor Totoro (1988)
Kiki's Delivery Service (1989)

Today was a Tom Hanks double feature:

Splash (1984)
Turner & Hooch (1989)

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I love Johnny Dangerously. No one ever talks about it so I always assume I'm one of the few people who like it.
It's one of my rainy day/feeling sick movies (along with Airplane and Clue). I can put it on and it just makes me feel better.
Old 05-25-16, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished an episode of Transformers that holds a special place in my heart, 'War of the Dinobots', on Tubi TV. The reason I love this particular episode so much is it introduced a character that was the first Dinobot I ever owned, Snarl.
Old 05-25-16, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

As the month rolls down, I checked my stats against my "One Degree of Gyllenhaal" challenge last year. Last year, by the end of yesterday, I was at 52. This year, for my "Full Monty" I'm at 55. Not bad. I'll probably do what I did last year and just keep going until I'm bored with it. Last year I went until September, but that's about when I ran out of material, rather than being bored. I still have so much material left for this year that I could easily make it to September again. I still have requests out to remote libraries that haven't come in yet. I'm also JUST starting to make a dent in the Terry Gilliam movies and only started watching Fawlty Towers last night!
Old 05-25-16, 02:13 PM

Received 516 Likes on 372 Posts

Today I'm doing a Mystery/Comedy movie marathon.

The Private Eyes (1980)
Haunted Honeymoon (1986)
Clue (1985)

And that makes it 100 movies. I got most of my checklist done, but I probably won't complete it.
Old 05-27-16, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I've really been focusing on Bones the last couple weeks and I'm almost done with last season which is nice. I'll only be a season behind which is nice. I did complete the Best Cartoon list for this challenge, though.
Old 05-28-16, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Once Upon a Time with Cary Grant and a dancing caterpillar is... interesting! Pointedly not focusing on the war (per opening card and comments throughout the film), it's a weirdly-Disney non-Disney film... that keeps namechecking Walt and even alleges he's in it in profile. Though the IMDb says otherwise.
Old 05-28-16, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished revisiting my entire Blue Planet set, including all bonus features, and bonus episodes. I enjoyed the series just as much now as when I first bought it.
Old 05-29-16, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yesterday, I finally completed a campaign of XCOM: The Enemy Within and sank into a post-game melancholy. To get me out of my funk, I watched a couple episodes of Project Blue Earth SOS, a 2006 anime that draws inspiration from alien invasion stories of the 40s and 50s. The first time I watched the dub, so I'm watching the sub now and enjoying it quite a bit.

The show gleefully embraces all of the overused tropes of sci-fi pulp. The main characters are fourteen-year-old boys - one is the son of a billionaire and the other is an orphan with a very intelligent dog. Both boys are very smart and resourceful. There's also a brash pilot, a bombastic military man, a stoic scientist, his danger-prone daughter, and a sexy female bodyguard. If any of you are interested in this type of homage, look it up during the upcoming science fiction challenge. It's worth your time.
Old 05-30-16, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Close to the end of the month! I managed to get through the 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers and two Michael Palin travel series, Around the World in 80 Days and Pole to Pole. I also watched Terry Jones' BBC series Medieval Lives. I watched 3 Terry Gilliam movies, The Brothers Grimm, Tideland and Jabberwocky.

I really have barely scratched the surface. I guess I could start a Historical list and continue the Michael Palin sets. If I'd have been thinking, I could have saved them all and the Terry Jones series for June and just double counted them. Oh well. I'm definitely going to keep my MYOC going all year again. I am no where near the point of want to stop. I've only watched TWO Flying Circus discs, for crying out loud.
Old 05-30-16, 08:19 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
Close to the end of the month! I managed to get through the 12 episodes of Fawlty Towers and two Michael Palin travel series, Around the World in 80 Days and Pole to Pole. I also watched Terry Jones' BBC series Medieval Lives. I watched 3 Terry Gilliam movies, The Brothers Grimm, Tideland and Jabberwocky.

I really have barely scratched the surface. I guess I could start a Historical list and continue the Michael Palin sets. If I'd have been thinking, I could have saved them all and the Terry Jones series for June and just double counted them. Oh well. I'm definitely going to keep my MYOC going all year again. I am no where near the point of want to stop. I've only watched TWO Flying Circus discs, for crying out loud.
I love your challenge here. I used to be such a huge Python fan back in the pre-DVD days, and eagerly snatched up the complete DVD set, twice! And yet I haven't played a disc in years, what's wrong with me! I do re-watch Fawlty Towers fairly often at least.
Old 05-31-16, 01:43 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I should have changed my choice to super-hero tv shows and/or Buffy/Angel series. I ended up watching those all month long and never got around to any serials or the three 1960's comic-book animated series that I picked up from the library. I guess the best laid plans and all that. I did love the shows I watched all month so it was worth it!
Old 05-31-16, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I watched most of the movies hinted at in my list banner, but I still have lots of comic book stuff to watch/re-watch. I'll probably keep going, at a slightly slower pace, through June (and maybe July). I guess I'll keep my list updated just for the heck of it.

I might do the prize drawing right after midnight, or it might be later in the morning. It really depends on if I'm watching movies later on or not. Since the winners get to pick their own prize, and there's no rush to claim what you want, don't feel like you have to stay up late to see if you won.
Old 05-31-16, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Finished the first season of Agents of SHIELD just under the wire! Also knocked out Deadpool over the weekend--I like Marvel Studios better, but it was entertaining.
Old 05-31-16, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While I won't be updating my list after tonight, I'll keep up with sports and documentaries, and my outdoor shows I've been watching. I enjoyed my challenge.
Old 05-31-16, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I've gone through the first 3 seasons of Breaking Bad over the last week. It's good, but I'm not sure if it's lived up to my lofty expectations, based on all the praise it's received. I have enjoyed the 3rd season more, so perhaps the series is one that just gets better and better.
Old 05-31-16, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished a good first time view that also got double credit for the Historical Appreciation Challenge, Red Tails, which I owned on Amazon Instant Video. I got it for free too during the short time that it along with a few other movies were free back in February.
Old 05-31-16, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Okay, some other stuff came up, and I wasn't watching anything around midnight so I went ahead and did the drawing.

The three winners, as chosen by random.org, are:

lisadoris
Greg MacGuffin
wishbone

Check your PMs.

You must have a US mailing address to receive your prize. Any prize opportunities not claimed by midnight 6/3/16 will be re-gifted on Saturday morning.

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-01-16 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-01-16, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Finished off the challenge with a couple episodes of Bones. Finished off season 10 which was nice. I also completed one of the icheckmovies lists during the challenge. Most definitely watched a lot more items than last year so all together, I certainly am pleased at my challenge! Thanks for hosting, Dimension X!
Old 06-01-16, 02:07 AM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Well, that was a fun challenge. The summer theme worked out well because it allowed me to watch a wide variety of genres. I also managed to knock 45 titles off my unwatched pile, most of which were very enjoyable (only a few duds). Thanks Dimension X for doing all the legwork!
Old 06-01-16, 05:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I had a lot of fun with this challenge and managed to plow through several seasons of Deep Space Nine and Voyager. Plus, I won a prize! Woo Hoo!

Thanks Dimension X for hosting this challenge and thanks to Hamilton Books for the prize - I tried to be a cheap winner

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.