Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-14, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Finished S2 of Alpha House today. It's funny, the last couple episodes dealt with the normalization of relations between the US and Cuba. Someone must have been eavesdropping on White House conversations given what happened a couple weeks ago.

Started Treme and it's cool to see so many actors from Homicide and The Wire moving to New Orleans. I have also seen several folks who were featured in When the Levees Broke - I'm glad the series hired local talent. The music is spectacular on the show but I don't love the series just yet. Hopefully it will grow on me soon.
Old 12-27-14, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I'm 7 episodes in to the first season of Game of Thrones, and am totally hooked. My son and I are about to go out for the night, and I was trying to convince him that he didn't want to go, so I could stay here and finish the season.
Old 12-27-14, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I just finished my Blu Ray of Galapagos. Watched one episode last night, and 2 today.
Old 12-27-14, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I finished off rewatching S1 of Psych today. I cannot get tired of this show. The chemistry with all of the leads is unbelievable. Mind you I have yet to watch the last season which I read is not as great as the first few seasons.
Old 12-27-14, 10:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I wound up starting with The Dukes of Hazzard The Complete Third Season. I've already finished Disc 1. I love the cast and their chemistry. So far, it's been Denver Pyle as Uncle Jesse that's stood out the most through the early going of this season. He's the moral compass of the whole show, and it's because Pyle sold it so earnestly, and because everyone else was sincerely reverential of him, that the hokum is endearing rather than insulting. There's not a shred of irony or any "nudge, nudge, wink, wink" anywhere to undermine his (and therefore, the show's) messages.

John Schneider, Catherine Bach, and Tom Wopat recorded a commentary for "And in This Corner, Luke Duke". I learned two things. One: Catherine Bach used to make car noises when she shot her green screen scenes. Adorable! Two: Tom Wopat can't swim because he sinks. I have the same problem, and I feel a little better about it knowing this.
Old 12-28-14, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Between family, travel, and extended holiday festivities, I haven't had much time to devote to the challenge. I did manage to watch a couple episodes of Murder, She Wrote. I love everything about that show!

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
John Schneider, Catherine Bach, and Tom Wopat recorded a commentary for "And in This Corner, Luke Duke". I learned two things. One: Catherine Bach used to make car noises when she shot her green screen scenes. Adorable! Two: Tom Wopat can't swim because he sinks. I have the same problem, and I feel a little better about it knowing this.
I was fortunate enough to see Tom Wopat playing opposite Bernadette Peters in Annie Get Your Gun during my one visit to New York City. Later, I saw him play Billy in a touring production of Chicago. Dude can sing! I've never really watched Dukes of Hazzard; perhaps I should soon.
Old 12-28-14, 06:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Don't know how much I'll get in today, because my sister is bringing her kids for Christmas dinner. Won't be able to enjoy it though, as I'm sick as a dog today.
Old 12-28-14, 07:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I decided to watch what I could before we get busy today, so I started out with a good episode of Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. It was about the Sea Otter. They are a playful, and friendly species.
Old 12-28-14, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think I will be watching much for the challenge today. In between, football and errands, I'll only probably watch an episode or two.

Yesterday, I finally had a chance to watch disc 1 of my Volume 1 set of Mazinger Z. This was my introduction to anime. I loved it as a kid although it's weird watching it with it's original audio. I still found the show very enjoyable and I can't really explain why it was never that big here in North America besides being remade into Tranzor Z. Maybe is not politically correct enough but then again there's a lot of current anime shows that have questionable content too. I see shows like Astro Boy or Speed Racer that are well known here and frankly, I don't think it compares with Mazinger IMHO.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SyRoF689VRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 12-28-14, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
I don't think I will be watching much for the challenge today. In between, football and errands, I'll only probably watch an episode or two.

Yesterday, I finally had a chance to watch disc 1 of my Volume 1 set of Mazinger Z. This was my introduction to anime. I loved it as a kid although it's weird watching it with it's original audio. I still found the show very enjoyable and I can't really explain why it was never that big here in North America besides being remade into Tranzor Z. Maybe is not politically correct enough but then again there's a lot of current anime shows that have questionable content too. I see shows like Astro Boy or Speed Racer that are well known here and frankly, I don't think it compares with Mazinger IMHO.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/SyRoF689VRE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I've seen Mazinger Z listed on crunchyroll, I think. Might watch some. Oh, and football counts for the challenge too.
Old 12-28-14, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Psst...your football games count, too!
Old 12-28-14, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-28-14, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Holy Binge Viewing! I've almost completed the first season of Batman! It's been quite fun and I'm finding I like the series as much, if not more, than I did as a 11 year old when it first aired! That series is enjoyable on *so* many different levels!
Old 12-28-14, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That's one reason I like this one so much. I turn on the TV, tune in History, or Discovery, or A&E, and whatever I settle on just to fill a bit of time counts! Even if the grandkids want to watch some of their mindless modern cartoons it counts! No thinking involved!

Aside: Does it show my age that I have little tolerance for what counts as "cartoon entertainment" on network/cable channels these days? I'd really like to think what I watched as a kid, and *still* like, was far superior to the drivel they watch.
Old 12-28-14, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
That's one reason I like this one so much. I turn on the TV, tune in History, or Discovery, or A&E, and whatever I settle on just to fill a bit of time counts! Even if the grandkids want to watch some of their mindless modern cartoons it counts! No thinking involved!

Aside: Does it show my age that I have little tolerance for what counts as "cartoon entertainment" on network/cable channels these days? I'd really like to think what I watched as a kid, and *still* like, was far superior to the drivel they watch.
If it does show your age, then it shows mine too.
Old 12-28-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Wow, I completely forgot about Mazinger Z. When it came out in the U.S. early this year I meant to order it but the price was really high. Then I forgot about it. Now you've reminded me to check again and the prices have gone down. Time to order it.
Old 12-29-14, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Woke up at 5 this morning, though still sick, and decided to look for something on TV. I found an episode of Wicked Tuna on the National Geographic Channel. That is one of my favorite channels.
Old 12-29-14, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

I bought a box set of Season 4 of "Sea Hunt" earlier this year and watched the first three episodes yesterday, the first time I've seen any of this series in over 50 years. They were great. Strong, suspenseful dramas, based on believable premises, with lots of undersea/diving technical research. Each episode is completely different from the others. Lloyd Bridges seems to do a lot of his own stunts and was in great shape for a man of 47 at the time. I can't wait to watch more.

Also, I went to FYE and picked up a DVD for $3.99 containing 11 episodes of "Route 66," a show I've never seen at all.
Old 12-29-14, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I wrote earlier that I have been extremely good not purchasing DVD and Blu-ray sets this year but in the past few weeks, I purchased the Batman Complete Series set, the Hogwarts Collection and the Family Ties Complete Series Album set. Now, this morning I see that Amazon.ca has the Dick Van Dyke Show on Blu-ray for $28.49. It was a no brainer. I made another purchase. So much for self control.
Old 12-29-14, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I bought a box set of Season 4 of "Sea Hunt" earlier this year and watched the first three episodes yesterday, the first time I've seen any of this series in over 50 years. They were great. Strong, suspenseful dramas, based on believable premises, with lots of undersea/diving technical research. Each episode is completely different from the others. Lloyd Bridges seems to do a lot of his own stunts and was in great shape for a man of 47 at the time. I can't wait to watch more.

Also, I went to FYE and picked up a DVD for $3.99 containing 11 episodes of "Route 66," a show I've never seen at all.
I've watched Sea Hunt on Hulu, and enjoy the show. As for Route 66, I think it is on MeTV, but I've never seen it, as it is on at like 3 AM, or some time thereabouts.
Old 12-29-14, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I'm 7 episodes in to the first season of Game of Thrones, and am totally hooked. My son and I are about to go out for the night, and I was trying to convince him that he didn't want to go, so I could stay here and finish the season.
I've watched every season multiple times. If you have time after you finish each season, take a look at the BD bonus features. They're really good and add a lot of depth to the show, including a lot of books-specific background. They don't spoil future seasons either. I've even seen the in-episode pop-up guide change from episode to episode based on what happens during the season.

I watched episodes 3 and 4 of Marvel's Agents of Shield and I have to say, the first few episodes are a bore. I have been told that this show improves towards the end so I will be sticking with it.
I've heard the same thing and need to get back to it.

Before Christmas, I bought myself the Complete Series Album of Family Ties. I decided to watch the Bonus disc and the Vacation movie. I haven't seen the Family Ties Vacation movie in years. I didn't watch it live but I caught it when they rerun the episodes in syndication. The vacation movie is missing on Netflix. I have to say, that the tv movie didn't work as the whole spy angle was tedious. There were some funny moments and I was glad that they shot it on location but overall, it didn't work at all.
The bonus disc contains only an excerpt of the "Inside the Actors Studio" with Michael J. Fox and I wish it contained the whole episode. His wife was starting to explain the first time she met Michael J. Fox and the impression she got from him at the beginning.
Afterwards, watched the first two episodes of Season 4 when he first meets Ellen. Those two episodes works in so many levels and are a fine example of what made Family Ties so great. BTW, the DVDs look so much better than the Netflix episodes. You could actually see the details on the episodes like Trisha's face on the directory when Alex shows it to his parents. I don't regret one bit splurging on this expensive set.
I watched that vacation movie for a previous challenge, and it was pretty bad as were most tie-in movies of that era. The Ellen meet-up arc is some of my all-time favorite TV, as their chemistry is just so great. It's surprising how few episodes Ellen was actually on.
Old 12-29-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

While flipping channels looking for something to watch, I found Weird Creatures on Discovery Family. An episode about the Mole Lizards of Mexico. Since I love nature docs, it was right up my alley.
Old 12-30-14, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

PEOPLE.

I'm watching The Dukes of Hazzard, right? In the episode "Mrs. Rosco P. Coltrane", Rosco is scammed by a woman through a computer dating service. In 1980. How was this even possible? Keep in mind, this was just a few episodes after Hughie Hogg had to explain the VCR and camcorder. So I look up the sole credited writer, Si Rose, and I discover that he died in 1976 - four years before this episode ever aired! There's only one logical explanation:

SI ROSE WAS/IS A TIME TRAVELER.
Old 12-30-14, 04:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started early this morning by watching Sports center as soon as I woke up on ESPNEWS.
Old 12-30-14, 04:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

PEOPLE.

I'm watching The Dukes of Hazzard, right? In the episode "Mrs. Rosco P. Coltrane", Rosco is scammed by a woman through a computer dating service. In 1980. How was this even possible? Keep in mind, this was just a few episodes after Hughie Hogg had to explain the VCR and camcorder. So I look up the sole credited writer, Si Rose, and I discover that he died in 1976 - four years before this episode ever aired! There's only one logical explanation:

SI ROSE WAS/IS A TIME TRAVELER.
I don't know about Si Rose - BUT "Computer Dating Services" got their start in the late 60s. One visited a office where information was collected and put on punch cards. The cards were read into the computer and, based on choices indicated on the card(s), a match would be made. Just like today but more primitive and you couldn't do it from the comfort of your home. In those early years the pioneers of such services typically rented their computer time. The advent of the office/home/personal computer in the mid-late 70s made it possible for anyone to do this fairly easily.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-30-14 at 04:53 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.