Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-25-14, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Less than 24 hours to go for me. I can't wait to get started officially. Why can't I live in Bora Bora I've been watching Shark Day programming most of the day, except for my viewing of A Christmas Story, Christmas Dinner, and my after meal nap due to a Tryptiphan related food coma.
Old 12-25-14, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

My son and his family came in for a couple of weeks and brought a stomach flu with them! They thought everyone was in the clear but the 1 year old got sick the first night here. Of course we'd all been hugging/kissing on him so... At this point the only person who's escaped infection is my daughter. Needless to say that put quite a crimp on movie watching as well as other holiday events (we cancelled everything except for our Christmas this morning). In a way it was somewhat a blessing as I was dreading Christmas Eve celebrations with my brother-in-law's "upgraded" family (I'd love to spend time with my brother-in-law and his wife as long as the grown kids stay "home"). It's been a *very* quiet Christmas. I'm heading back to the couch... Batman has been put off a day or two 'cause I want to feel good when I start watching.

Merry Christmas to all!
Old 12-25-14, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
My son and his family came in for a couple of weeks and brought a stomach flu with them! They thought everyone was in the clear but the 1 year old got sick the first night here. Of course we'd all been hugging/kissing on him so... At this point the only person who's escaped infection is my daughter. Needless to say that put quite a crimp on movie watching as well as other holiday events (we cancelled everything except for our Christmas this morning). In a way it was somewhat a blessing as I was dreading Christmas Eve celebrations with my brother-in-law's "upgraded" family (I'd love to spend time with my brother-in-law and his wife as long as the grown kids stay "home"). It's been a *very* quiet Christmas. I'm heading back to the couch... Batman has been put off a day or two 'cause I want to feel good when I start watching.

Merry Christmas to all!
Our entire house has been sick, so I feel your pain. My sister is supposed to bring my nieces on Saturday, but her whole house has been sick. Merry Christmas? You mean Bah, Humbug don't you? How can you enjoy Christmas when you're feeling like crap.
Old 12-26-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Less than 6 hours to go for me. Getting more excited by the minute.
Old 12-26-14, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Our entire house has been sick, so I feel your pain. My sister is supposed to bring my nieces on Saturday, but her whole house has been sick. Merry Christmas? You mean Bah, Humbug don't you? How can you enjoy Christmas when you're feeling like crap.
Nope! No "Bah, Humbug" here! Yeah, I felt poorly, and still do a bit, but I felt good enough to open presents and had a really good time with my kids and grandkids. The only true downside was not being able to safely eat the many treats and special foods we have around and not talking to the relatives who called (but I hate talking on the phone anyway so even that wasn't so bad). I can eat the food later. My son and his family left to visit her family for a few days so it's nice and quiet today! Their oldest, 2 1/2 years old, is a very noisy boy who's not really controlled well. I'm quite grateful for the break! Since I get almost 2 weeks off for the Christmas/New Year holiday I have plenty of time to rest and watch TV (I go back to work on Jan. 5th). That's another reason I really liked starting on Boxing Day as I'll have more time for watching stuff!

I've still put Batman on hold - although I *think* I feel well enough to enjoy a few episodes later today. I started the challenge officially by picking up where I'd left off (mid-way through) Have Gun - Will Travel, one I'd started last summer and have just let languish. I was totally surprised to see Dan Blocker as a bad guy in a episode and then Purnell Roberts shows up as the bad guy a few episodes later! Well... I had to then look up Michael Landon and Lorne Greene. Neither of them appeared on that one. But I did discover that Greene was only 13 years older than Roberts and Blocker (who were 6 months apart in age). I'd have pegged him as being at least 20 years older than either. I'm looking at finishing that series before moving on...
Old 12-26-14, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've still put Batman on hold - although I *think* I feel well enough to enjoy a few episodes later today. I started the challenge officially by picking up where I'd left off (mid-way through) Have Gun - Will Travel, one I'd started last summer and have just let languish. I was totally surprised to see Dan Blocker as a bad guy in a episode and then Purnell Roberts shows up as the bad guy a few episodes later! Well... I had to then look up Michael Landon and Lorne Greene. Neither of them appeared on that one. But I did discover that Greene was only 13 years older than Roberts and Blocker (who were 6 months apart in age). I'd have pegged him as being at least 20 years older than either. I'm looking at finishing that series before moving on...
I'm sicker today than I was yesterday, so can't even enjoy my new PS3, though can't play anything yet, except Lego Hobbit, which was bundled with it. I'm still downloading the games I bought when I used to have a PS3 before I sold it.

You officially started? It's dusk where you are right now? Must be nice, I'm still unofficially watching stuff. Watching Wild Pacific right now, though I'll probably start another set to get a fresh start for my first BBC Earth series of the challenge.
Old 12-26-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Less than 2 hours till start time, and I decided for my first watch, I'll look on tv for something to watch. That's the time of day I normally just watch regular TV.
Old 12-26-14, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

I just finished re-watching S1 of Alpha House so I'm all set to begin watching S2 in about 30 minutes.
Old 12-26-14, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I watched the entirety of Penny Dreadful in two days. A great show if you want to see League of Extraordinary Monsters with a literary bent. The only disappointment is that the first season is less than nine episodes.
Old 12-26-14, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

It's already dusk here so I'm starting with Marvel's Agents of SHIELD S1E3. I'm hoping to catch up and delete the episodes on my DVR.
Old 12-26-14, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I started the challenge with an episode of Treehouse Masters on Animal Planet, in which a recording studio was built in a tree.
Old 12-26-14, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
You officially started? It's dusk where you are right now? Must be nice, I'm still unofficially watching stuff. Watching Wild Pacific right now, though I'll probably start another set to get a fresh start for my first BBC Earth series of the challenge.
Well... crap! I *thought* I was... with your post I checked the first one of the list thread to find the start time is *dusk* on Boxing Day!!! When it was decided I really didn't pay much attention and was thinking it was all day today! That means I actually *did* start with Batman as originally intended. My oldest granddaughter spent the night last night and we started watching the first episode of the set around dusk here. She somewhat surprised me by liking *both* Have Gun - Will Travel and Batman!
Old 12-26-14, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I kicked things off with Game of Thrones. I had never seen a single episode prior to tonight. I'm one episode in, and so far, so good.
Old 12-26-14, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Well... crap! I *thought* I was... with your post I checked the first one of the list thread to find the start time is *dusk* on Boxing Day!!! When it was decided I really didn't pay much attention and was thinking it was all day today!
That was my fault. I wish I'd caught that sooner, because it really doesn't make any obvious sense to have started at dusk. If you wanna count anything you watched before dusk today, go for it. My apologies to anyone who has stared outside waiting for the sun to go away!
Old 12-26-14, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I kicked things off with Game of Thrones. I had never seen a single episode prior to tonight. I'm one episode in, and so far, so good.
I love the show. Not sure how you're watching, but it really rewards, er, paying attention. Not that you wouldn't pay attention, but some shows I can play on my phone while watching and not miss that much. With GOT, there's a lot going on so I find I really have to actively watch.
Old 12-26-14, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just finished watching an episode of Doctor Who on BBC America. Always liked that show.
Old 12-26-14, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by davidh777
I love the show. Not sure how you're watching, but it really rewards, er, paying attention. Not that you wouldn't pay attention, but some shows I can play on my phone while watching and not miss that much. With GOT, there's a lot going on so I find I really have to actively watch.
Two episodes in before calling it a night. I am watching on Blu-ray, because I am an obsessive blind buyer especially if the price is right. Watching tv/movies is just something that I can't multi-task during, so I am quite focused on the screen. I've liked both episodes so far, and am definitely looking forward to picking it back up tomorrow.
Old 12-26-14, 10:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched episodes 3 and 4 of Marvel's Agents of Shield and I have to say, the first few episodes are a bore. I have been told that this show improves towards the end so I will be sticking with it.

Before Christmas, I bought myself the Complete Series Album of Family Ties. I decided to watch the Bonus disc and the Vacation movie. I haven't seen the Family Ties Vacation movie in years. I didn't watch it live but I caught it when they rerun the episodes in syndication. The vacation movie is missing on Netflix. I have to say, that the tv movie didn't work as the whole spy angle was tedious. There were some funny moments and I was glad that they shot it on location but overall, it didn't work at all.
The bonus disc contains only an excerpt of the "Inside the Actors Studio" with Michael J. Fox and I wish it contained the whole episode. His wife was starting to explain the first time she met Michael J. Fox and the impression she got from him at the beginning.
Afterwards, watched the first two episodes of Season 4 when he first meets Ellen. Those two episodes works in so many levels and are a fine example of what made Family Ties so great. BTW, the DVDs look so much better than the Netflix episodes. You could actually see the details on the episodes like Trisha's face on the directory when Alex shows it to his parents. I don't regret one bit splurging on this expensive set.

I finished off the day by rewatching the International Pilot of Psych. I can't get enough of this show!
Old 12-27-14, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I have to plow through the entire third season of Girls for reviewing purposes. This could be a long weekend.
Old 12-27-14, 03:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Two episodes in before calling it a night. I am watching on Blu-ray, because I am an obsessive blind buyer especially if the price is right. Watching tv/movies is just something that I can't multi-task during, so I am quite focused on the screen. I've liked both episodes so far, and am definitely looking forward to picking it back up tomorrow.
There are so many things going on in a episode of GOT that it can frequently require several viewings to catch it all. *Little* things like a seemingly inconsequential brief conversation between people can have significant ramifications a few episodes later.

This is one of those rare programs where I tend to go back and re-watch all episodes prior to starting a new season just to make sure I didn't miss something along the way. I can hardly wait for the S4 release and already have S1-S3 lined up for rewatching.

If you've not yet purchased S2 and S3 do yourself a favor and get that done - also pre-order S4.
Old 12-27-14, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I woke up early, like 4 in the morning early, and saw a bowl game was on ESPNU, so just finished watching the inaugural 2014 Quick Lane Bowl.
Old 12-27-14, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There are so many things going on in a episode of GOT that it can frequently require several viewings to catch it all. *Little* things like a seemingly inconsequential brief conversation between people can have significant ramifications a few episodes later.

This is one of those rare programs where I tend to go back and re-watch all episodes prior to starting a new season just to make sure I didn't miss something along the way. I can hardly wait for the S4 release and already have S1-S3 lined up for rewatching.

If you've not yet purchased S2 and S3 do yourself a favor and get that done - also pre-order S4.
Already got all 3 seasons on Blu. I'm hopeful to be completely caught up and watching the 5th season as it airs.
Old 12-27-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also have the first 3 season of Game of Thrones along with the first 5 seasons of True Blood, True Detective and the first 3 seasons on Blu-ray and all of the rest of the episodes on my DVR of the Walking Dead. I'm not sure if I'll be able to go through all of the shows during the challenge but I'll definitely watch True Detective first.

This morning I started off with some anime. I watched the first two episodes of Freezing and High School DXD. Nothing special and lots of fan service on both shows.
Old 12-27-14, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Batman is a blast! I like it just as much as I did when it originally aired. Of course I "get" the humor better as a adult and am seeing all manner of things I didn't notice as a 11 year old fan. I'm sure part of that comes from having the ability to view multiple episodes at once (reused scenes) but part is just being more observant than I was as a kid.

My 8 year old granddaughter likes it too! We started watching last night and this morning she asked to watch more! I just wish her brother had come over and spent the night too but he got a new game (Skylanders Trap Team) for his X-Box and is sucked into that at the moment. She's somewhat impatiently awaiting the first of the Catwoman episodes... just two more and she'll arrive!
Old 12-27-14, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just reached 10 hours with an episode of Walking with Dinosaurs that I bought through Amazon Instant Video.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.