DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-15, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by davidh777
Netflix physical DVD doesn't carry the original Batman series for whatever reason so I rented the New Adventures animated series with West and Ward. I'm pretty sure I watched this as a kid since the intro is so familiar. (I decided not to list them as first-time viewings.) It's not as campy as the live-action show but has goofy villains and the "wacky bumbling sidekick" in Batmite. Kinda like Scooby-Doo with Batman, I guess.
That's a pretty fair assessment of that series and exactly why I've never much cared for it (not a fan of Scooby-Doo).
Originally Posted by davidh777
The first season hasn't grabbed me so far, but as I mentioned, I haven't gotten through the first season of Babylon 5 either, and people say that's amazing afterward. The key is being able to stick with it, though.
Yep... stick with 'em - both that is. B5 gets much better after that first season as does Enterprise.
Old 01-29-15, 03:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

I just watched a great episode of F Troop, with Japanese-American actor Mako as a samurai pursuing a runaway bride out west.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46pWAkgjNRs

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 01-29-15 at 04:23 PM.
Old 01-29-15, 08:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I finally finished S2 of Gunsmoke...had been stuck in that season for a while and just felt like finishing it this year!

I watched The Price is Right for the first time what seems like forever, it was fun. I don't watch many game shows but this one has always hit the right spot for me.

I'm almost done with S1 of Soap and its just crazy. Every episode just seems to more insane heh.

I've also been trying to get through S1 of Amazing Stories, it's pretty good so far, just different than other anthology shows i've seen (Outer Limits/Twilight Zone/Tales from the Crypt) There doesn't seem to be any horror at least so far. But it's good.

This challenge always seems to get me interested in watching shows that i had forgotten about. I look forward to it every year since i don't really watch many movies. Although maybe i will try some Movie challenges this year.
Old 01-29-15, 11:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

Hey Travis, I only have one challenge under my belt, but I'd be more than willing to help out if you need it. Just let me know!
Old 01-30-15, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I don't think I'll make my 200 hour goal, as I'm only sitting at just over 180 hours right now. I might make it, but it'll be a tough squeeze.
Old 01-30-15, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I'm annoyed with myself for falling asleep early last night and not catching up on Agent Carter or 12 Monkeys.

But I'm only five hours away from 200 so I should get there. I'm busy tonight and Saturday, though, and the Super Bowl doesn't count , so I have to get it done today.
Old 01-30-15, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Since Trevor hasn't actually logged anything and is therefore ineligible to win a prize anyway, he has kindly agreed to take over handling that task for me. I will be MIA for awhile, so I hope everyone had a fun time with this year's challenge! Starting on Boxing Day and introducing the 200 broadcast hours goal both seemed to go over well, so we'll consider revisiting both of those next year. In the interim, enjoy your last 36-ish hours!
Old 01-30-15, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
Since Trevor hasn't actually logged anything and is therefore ineligible to win a prize anyway, he has kindly agreed to take over handling that task for me. I will be MIA for awhile, so I hope everyone had a fun time with this year's challenge! Starting on Boxing Day and introducing the 200 broadcast hours goal both seemed to go over well, so we'll consider revisiting both of those next year. In the interim, enjoy your last 36-ish hours!
Thanks to Trevor!

I hope what ever is taking you away works out/goes OK for you! You'll be missed!
Old 01-30-15, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

I watched some Batman: The Brave and the Bold yesterday after New Adventures, and I'm a bit Bat-burned-out so I'm watching some random things from my Amazon Instant Video library. I bought Chuck season 2 even though I already owned the BDs, and it's convenient to rewatch (for at least the third time) a few episodes sitting here at my computer.

But holy crap, the web interface shows descriptions for every episode, and they have some humongous spoilers. BobO'Link, be careful out there between now and the action challenge!

Thanks, Trevor and Travis! This is my all-time-best performance in a TV challenge, and both of those additions were a big part of it.

I echo BobO'Link's wishes that things will go well for you, Travis.
Old 01-30-15, 11:15 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I hope what ever is taking you away works out/goes OK for you! You'll be missed!
Amen!

I've actually been watching a few things here and there and will probably log them in my empty list for OCD's sake, but I think I need to be ineligible for all prizes anyway. At least that's what my wife says as she looks at the leaning mountains of unopened movies and games.

I'm working the next couple days and likely won't watch anything else. Well, maybe the Super Bowl. Go Seahawks!
Old 01-30-15, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well... I've not been keeping up so I just checked my total hours viewed to find it currently totals 222! That is made of of 192 half hour episodes and 126 hour episodes. I really thought I was going to come up a bit short. That extra week starting on Boxing day really helped but I *might* have just made it anyway.

I finished S1 of Vikings early this morning. It's pretty good and I'm interested to see where things go in S2 but I'll have to purchase that one first.

A somewhat disturbing episode was "Sacrifice" as I'd not known the Norse practiced human sacrifice! Of course I also don't expect this program to be all that historically accurate either so this could be a "enhancement" of something that once happened and not necessarily during the time period depicted. The parallels with the monk who was renouncing his vows/beliefs to that of Peter's denial of Jesus following his arrest was a interesting decision. You *know* the monk made that connection.
Spoiler:

That *he* didn't know he was chosen as the sacrifice until the priest rejected him was somewhat unbelievable.
I also wondered why Ragnar and his group would have ever considered the monk to be a acceptable choice in such a weighty matter unless it was a ruse to get someone to volunteer.
Old 01-30-15, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

I just hit the 200 mark. It would have been doubtful for me without the benefit of starting a little early. I think I'll stop right here since I like the nice round number.
Old 01-30-15, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Don't know if I'll make 100 this year. I'm sitting at 77. I guess I could marathon Bravest Warrior episodes or something or maybe I'll just chillax.
Old 01-30-15, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And S2 of The Tudors came in this afternoon. It's short enough that I will probably marathon it to finish the challenge this year. That also keeps me from having to think *too* hard about what to watch next.
Old 01-30-15, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Amen!

I've actually been watching a few things here and there and will probably log them in my empty list for OCD's sake...
I've been away from a 'real' computer so long I haven't updated MY list(s) either. Everytime I try to edit one on phone or i-Device it all goes wrong, so... hopefully I'll get to it soon, too.
Old 01-30-15, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Thanks Trevor! Travis: I hope you're not gone too long! We'll miss you...
Old 01-30-15, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Thank you Travis and take care. As I'm getting older, I'm realizing that health (whether mental or physical) is really important.

Thanks Trevor for helping out!

I think this is it for me. I need to update my list but I was finally able to finish S1 of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. last night. I wasn't in the mood to watch anything tonight and I'm not sure if I'm going to tomorrow. I have over 200 entries but I will fall short of the 200 broadcast hours. It was fun and already looking forward to next year. I'm in favour of the early start for next year challenge.
Old 01-30-15, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm not sure if I'll finish my two seasons of Charlie's Angels and Starsky & Hutch. I have eight episodes left to watch, so I might have to go into overtime (midnight to dawn on 2/1). Do we have "overtime" in this challenge?

Edit: I should've just looked at the first post again instead of asking a silly question.

[*]This challenge begins at Dusk (your time) on Boxing Day, 26 December 2014, and concludes at Dawn (your time), 1 February 2015.

Last edited by Dimension X; 01-30-15 at 10:43 PM.
Old 01-30-15, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks Trevor, andI hope everything works out ok Travis. I won't make 200, but I'm going to try my darndest.
Old 01-31-15, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm watching documentaries on the last day of the challenge. If I push it, I -may- be able to hit 200 hours. Sitting at 191 hours right now.
Old 01-31-15, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I managed to make 200 hours after all, with a viewing of Star Wars.
Old 02-01-15, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I'm winding up. I hope to hit 100 watched items, but I didn't even try to count the hours as I know I can't be anywhere close to 200 hours! Maybe next year.
Old 02-01-15, 05:51 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Trevor! I just finished at 141 Hours. I came in a little late this year but i managed to make it to the end. Last year i burned myself out about halfway through. Maybe i'll get 200 next year
Old 02-01-15, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm done with a final total of 241 hours! I marathoned S2 of The Tudors and watched most of Community S2 before time ran out.

S2 of The Tudors was good but felt like they were stretching the Anne Bolyn storyline a bit. The season felt overly long considering the storylines told. I felt they could have worked in Jane Seymore's story and still had a 10 episode season with a bit of planning and tightening of scripts. I've not read much about that era of British history so don't know how accurate any character depictions and/or storylines are but I often felt like they were trying to make Anne out to be a "Class A" bitch while playing down Henry's role in the whole debacle, at least until the end of the season when Henry's actions became more tyranical. The last episode of the season, which featured Anne's execution, was very well done and used her final speach almost verbatim.

Community S2 has had a few rough spots so far but overall has been entertaining.

It was quite fun this year, especially since Batman finally came out on DVD, and since I'm not actively participating in the Academy Award Challenge will likely continue this one while throwing in a movie every so often.
Old 02-01-15, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had fun this challenge, but stopped after Star Wars. I pushed myself too hard to reach 200 hours at the end.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.