Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-14, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

I must be in the minority in that I'm concentrating on the Holiday challenge this month, that being said, I am watching a lot of TV specials so if the challenge was this month, I'd be watching a lot of things for double credit.

I know I'm late chiming in on the checklist additions, but I've been gone for awhile visiting a friend. I usually at least attempt the checklists. I do tend to marathon a season of something at a time, but switch around which shows I'm watching as I don't tend to stick with the same show after a season. I'm just ready to watch something different. The checklist usually gets filled pretty easily with a handful of episodes that I search out to finish it off for individual items.

That being said, this year, I think I'm going to watch some of my unwatched Trek and I don't know how the checklist will prosper/suffer because of that. I also will be gone a week in January where TV time is not going to be a priority so I'm not certain if I'm going to work on it or make it much of a focus.

I do enjoy checklists and like them as a bit of guidance when I'm staring at my collection going, "I want to watch SOMETHING but I have no idea what."
Old 12-16-14, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

I watched 3 episodes of Arrow S2: Identity, Broken Dolls and Crucible. I plan to finish S2 just in time for the Challenge to finally catch up to all of the episodes of S3.
Old 12-16-14, 05:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Awesome pictures! I should make a point of posting pics of my viewing endeavors. When I get home from work, I usually unwind with dinner and an episode of Murder, She Wrote, and I've noticed that it has some of the best reaction shots and some of the best teased hair!
I do that too. I'm in S9 now but I usually put the show on when I want something "light".
Old 12-16-14, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I got two things in the mail yesterday that will be great for the challenge, Wild Pacific, and Predator Dinosaurs. I've also ordered Ganges and for Amazon Instant, I bought Walking with Dinosaurs, as well as a couple episodes of Animals And Nature. I might also take this chance to finish my National Geographic Oceans set.
Old 12-16-14, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Awesome pictures! I should make a point of posting pics of my viewing endeavors. When I get home from work, I usually unwind with dinner and an episode of Murder, She Wrote, and I've noticed that it has some of the best reaction shots and some of the best teased hair!
More pix of recent viewings on my blog:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/...ven/#more-2245
Old 12-16-14, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I plan to watch baseball during this challenge to, as my season pass to MLB.TV allows me to watch any game from last season since the entire season is archived, including spring training games.
Old 12-16-14, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
More pix of recent viewings on my blog:

https://briandanacamp.wordpress.com/...ven/#more-2245
Great pics and a very good article. Makes me want to watch some Japanese TV. Besides my copies of Ultraman and Super Robot Red Baron, Amazon Prime has a lot of Power Rangers, not to mention my anime collection.
Old 12-16-14, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished revisiting Blue Planet, including for the first time, the bonus disc. I was surprised that the bonus disc was full length episodes.
Old 12-16-14, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I plan to watch baseball during this challenge to, as my season pass to MLB.TV allows me to watch any game from last season since the entire season is archived, including spring training games.
I actually made it out to a ball game this year! 29 July: Reds/Diamondbacks in Cincy. (I also made it to a Triple-A game in Louisville in May, where Aroldis Chapman was rehabbing.)
Old 12-16-14, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Travis McClain
I actually made it out to a ball game this year! 29 July: Reds/Diamondbacks in Cincy. (I also made it to a Triple-A game in Louisville in May, where Aroldis Chapman was rehabbing.)
Cool, the closest major league team to me is either Toronto, or Cleveland. Both about 100 miles from me. Incidentally, I have zero motivation today. Thank I'm just going to veg either in bed or on the couch and watch TV.
Old 12-16-14, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Cool, the closest major league team to me is either Toronto, or Cleveland. Both about 100 miles from me.
I've been to Cleveland (to see an Indians/Rays game), but not Toronto (for anything). This was my first MLB game in four years. I used to make it up to Cincinnati (about an hour away from me) half a dozen times a season, but that was before Crohn's.
Old 12-16-14, 08:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been to Cleveland (to see an Indians/Rays game), but not Toronto (for anything). This was my first MLB game in four years. I used to make it up to Cincinnati (about an hour away from me) half a dozen times a season, but that was before Crohn's.
I hope you're doing ok. After finishing Blue Planet, I started on Galapagos tonight.
Old 12-17-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I hope you're doing ok.
Eh, I have good days and I have bad days, same as anyone else, I suppose. It's amazing to me that we already have more than a hundred posts in this thread with two weeks to go before the challenge even begins.

A bit of brainstorming got me wondering if there'd be any interest in an alternate, informal reach goal for this challenge:

200 Broadcast Hours in 31 Days

This is based on the 1 movie = 2 broadcast hours conversion formula. To meet the goal, you could watch:

200 one-hour episodes
400 half-hour episodes
800 quarter-hour episodes (think: [adult swim])
Or any combination thereof.

I looked at my previous challenges. It looks like I average around 100 broadcast hours, but I also tend to fade and not watch anything at all for an entire week, and I miss days here and there.

Thoughts?
Old 12-17-14, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eh, I have good days and I have bad days, same as anyone else, I suppose. It's amazing to me that we already have more than a hundred posts in this thread with two weeks to go before the challenge even begins.

A bit of brainstorming got me wondering if there'd be any interest in an alternate, informal reach goal for this challenge:

This is based on the 1 movie = 2 broadcast hours conversion formula. To meet the goal, you could watch:

200 one-hour episodes
400 half-hour episodes

I looked at my previous challenges. It looks like I average around 100 broadcast hours, but I also tend to fade and not watch anything at all for an entire week, and I miss days here and there.

Thoughts?
That's how I am, good days and bad days.

While I don't know if I'll reach the goal, I kind of like that idea.
Old 12-17-14, 01:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

200 one-hour episodes
400 half-hour episodes

Thoughts?
Works for me as that's pretty close to what I do on a monthly basis anyway. Plus I just got in complete series for Sgt. Bilko, Mister Ed, and Batman '66 that I feel a need to move to the top of the "to watch" list!
Old 12-17-14, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm wondering if we shouldn't just make TV on DVD an entire year's challenge. Just to, y'know, get through some of the backlog.

Last night I was watching a movie I taped off the Family Channel some 20-odd years ago and following the movie on the tape was a "Patty Duke" episode from Nick at Nite, followed by the first half of a "My Three Sons" episode before the tape ran out. I didn't even know they were on the tape! The "Patty Duke" episode featured a then-popular singing act called Chad and Jeremy (playing Nigel and Patrick) and I definitely remember seeing this episode when it was first on! I don't remember watching "My Three Sons" much as a kid, so this episode was something of a revelation in that Fred MacMurray takes his youngest son, Chip, to his place of work--a US Air Force base, where he works as an Aeronautical Engineer doing structural design of planes and had formerly been a test pilot. Which begs the question: is that the kind of work they even do on bases? Isn't that what they do at airplane manufacturing sites? In any event, I had no idea that's what the character did for a living.
Old 12-17-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm wondering if we shouldn't just make TV on DVD an entire year's challenge. Just to, y'know, get through some of the backlog.
I'm game! But then what do I do with the huge backlog of *movies*!?!? I'm frequently torn as to which I need to work through the most!
Last night I was watching a movie I taped off the Family Channel some 20-odd years ago and following the movie on the tape was a "Patty Duke" episode from Nick at Nite, followed by the first half of a "My Three Sons" episode before the tape ran out. I didn't even know they were on the tape! The "Patty Duke" episode featured a then-popular singing act called Chad and Jeremy (playing Nigel and Patrick) and I definitely remember seeing this episode when it was first on! I don't remember watching "My Three Sons" much as a kid, so this episode was something of a revelation in that Fred MacMurray takes his youngest son, Chip, to his place of work--a US Air Force base, where he works as an Aeronautical Engineer doing structural design of planes and had formerly been a test pilot. Which begs the question: is that the kind of work they even do on bases? Isn't that what they do at airplane manufacturing sites? In any event, I had no idea that's what the character did for a living.
IIRC he's not employed by the USAF but works for a contractor who has offices on the base. Of course it *has* been decades since I saw the show - my sister and I watched it every week until about the time William Frawley got too sick to stay and left the show. We didn't much care for the character "Uncle Charlie" (William Demarest) who'd replaced "Bub" (the ailing William Frawley) mid-season right before "Mike" married and left the show. To a lesser degree we didn't care for the character of "Ernie" joining the show to fill in the gap left by the departing "Mike". Basically after "Bud" left the show we found our interest declining with each year. If it were in the press about Frawley's health we never saw (or heard) anything. Being kids we just didn't understand why they'd replace his character without much mention and didn't care for the cascading changes his leaving seemingly brought. By the time "Robbie" married (8th or 9th season?) we'd pretty much stopped watching.
Old 12-17-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Works for me, as I watch a lot of TV anyways.
Old 12-17-14, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm game! But then what do I do with the huge backlog of *movies*!?!? I'm frequently torn as to which I need to work through the most!

IIRC he's not employed by the USAF but works for a contractor who has offices on the base. Of course it *has* been decades since I saw the show - my sister and I watched it every week until about the time William Frawley got too sick to stay and left the show. We didn't much care for the character "Uncle Charlie" (William Demarest) who'd replaced "Bub" (the ailing William Frawley) mid-season right before "Mike" married and left the show. To a lesser degree we didn't care for the character of "Ernie" joining the show to fill in the gap left by the departing "Mike". Basically after "Bub" left the show we found our interest declining with each year. If it were in the press about Frawley's health we never saw (or heard) anything. Being kids we just didn't understand why they'd replace his character without much mention and didn't care for the cascading changes his leaving seemingly brought. By the time "Robbie" married (8th or 9th season?) we'd pretty much stopped watching.
What struck me as I watched the bits with "Bub" yesterday is that he's essentially a maid, as if the character was designed as a woman but then the network felt having a single woman in a house full of unattached men was too much for the audience to handle, so they made the character a man. In the clip I saw, Bub makes a cake and then dinner and then washes the dishes and cleans the place, vacuuming under one of the lazy sons' legs in the living room. Quite a sea change for Fred Mertz. I wonder what Ethel thought. (Was Vivian Vance ever a guest on the show?) I don't remember Uncle Charlie much, but he was definitely much more brusque than Bub.
Old 12-17-14, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since TV content qualifies for all the other challenges except Oscars and Criterion, it's really just a matter of thematic organization on the part of the viewer to stretch it year-round. (Plus, there are technically a few TV things that even qualify for those challenges!)

Looking at the calendar, though, I do see that the Oscar Challenge will begin during the TV on DVD* Challenge; the Oscars air 22 February, so that challenge will cover the entire last week of this one. That'll put the squeeze on some of us. I suppose to compensate, we could start on Boxing Day (i.e., the day after Christmas) this year?
Old 12-17-14, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

What struck me as I watched the bits with "Bub" yesterday is that he's essentially a maid, as if the character was designed as a woman but then the network felt having a single woman in a house full of unattached men was too much for the audience to handle, so they made the character a man. In the clip I saw, Bub makes a cake and then dinner and then washes the dishes and cleans the place, vacuuming under one of the lazy sons' legs in the living room. Quite a sea change for Fred Mertz. I wonder what Ethel thought. (Was Vivian Vance ever a guest on the show?) I don't remember Uncle Charlie much, but he was definitely much more brusque than Bub.
Vance was never on My Three Sons. Reportedly she and Frawley hated each other and only tolerated each other on I Love Lucy because it paid very well.
Old 12-17-14, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Since TV content qualifies for all the other challenges except Oscars and Criterion, it's really just a matter of thematic organization on the part of the viewer to stretch it year-round. (Plus, there are technically a few TV things that even qualify for those challenges!)

Looking at the calendar, though, I do see that the Oscar Challenge will begin during the TV on DVD* Challenge; the Oscars air 22 February, so that challenge will cover the entire last week of this one. That'll put the squeeze on some of us. I suppose to compensate, we could start on Boxing Day (i.e., the day after Christmas) this year?
I wouldn't mind starting right after Christmas.
Old 12-17-14, 07:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

... I do see that the Oscar Challenge will begin during the TV on DVD* Challenge; the Oscars air 22 February, so that challenge will cover the entire last week of this one. That'll put the squeeze on some of us. I suppose to compensate, we could start on Boxing Day (i.e., the day after Christmas) this year?
I normally don't bother with the Oscar Challenge and since I don't seem to be doing any Holiday viewing I might as well start early. That gives me another week to rack up numbers.
Old 12-17-14, 08:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm game!
Old 12-18-14, 01:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished Wildest Indochina on Netflix. It was a very interesting series. I like the Wildest shows on Netflix.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.