Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-14, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: TV on DVD* Challenge: The Fifth Season Discussion Thread

I was in the mood for some nature, so I looked on my DVR and decided to watch an episode of Big Cat Diary. I think I probably have the entire series on my DVR by now.
Old 12-12-14, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just found out Amazon Prime has a whole section for PBS Shows, and since documentaries are one of my favorite genres, this will be great for the challenge. Just watched an episode of Nature on the Harpy Eagle.
"Nature" has its own website where you can watch full episodes:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/

I recommend "Snow Monkeys."
Old 12-12-14, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
"Nature" has its own website where you can watch full episodes:

http://www.pbs.org/wnet/nature/

I recommend "Snow Monkeys."
Cool. Thanks for the link.
Old 12-12-14, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Which doesn't affect my viewing of the Golden Girls since her role in it was much different than what she's portraying right now in other shows.
You aren't taking things out of context with her in that show enough. Try hard enough and she's a sex-crazed criminal mastermind. Makes the show more interesting. The power struggle between her and Maude is thrilling.
Old 12-12-14, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
You aren't taking things out of context with her in that show enough. Try hard enough and she's a sex-crazed criminal mastermind. Makes the show more interesting. The power struggle between her and Maude is thrilling.
I thought Sophia was the one who wanted to rule the world. 'What are we going to do tonight Sophia? Same thing we do every night Blanche, try to take over the world!'
Old 12-12-14, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I thought Sophia was the one who wanted to rule the world. 'What are we going to do tonight Sophia? Same thing we do every night Blanche, try to take over the world!'
"Picture it: Sicily, 1922. A young girl decides that one day, she's going to take over the world..."
Old 12-13-14, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just finished the Snow Monkey's episode of Nature. It was a terrific episode, and Liam Neeson was a great narrator. One thing I am curious though, Nature showed that all members of the troupe are allowed to use the volcanic hot spring, but in the Primates episode of Life, Oprah said the hot springs are reserved for only the highest ranking females and their children. Which is correct?
Old 12-13-14, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I use Nimble TV for my cable to watch on my Roku on my bedroom tv, and the server is down. So I looked on Hulu which I can watch on PlayOn and found a lot of good documentary tv shows. Just watched the first episode of How It Works. With PlayOn I no longer need Hulu Plus to watch Hulu on my tv.
Old 12-13-14, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just finished the Snow Monkeys episode of Nature. It was a terrific episode, and Liam Neeson was a great narrator. One thing I am curious though, Nature showed that all members of the troupe are allowed to use the volcanic hot spring, but in the Primates episode of Life, Oprah said the hot springs are reserved for only the highest ranking females and their children. Which is correct?
Who you gonna believe, Liam Neeson or Oprah?
Old 12-13-14, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good point, lol.
Old 12-13-14, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Neither... I pulled out my copy of Life narrated by David Attenborough. He agrees with Oprah, but it's also the same script or at least the Oprah version was basterdized from Attenborough's. Life indicates this particular (my words - not the documentary) hot spring is reserved for the highest ranking Females and infants with a male making sure any who attempt to use the spring are acceptable. I got the impression that this is for a particular region, or a particular hot spring in the region, since it was indicated by name. Due to the narration I felt this particular group was singled out to vividly demonstrate the separation of classes in Snow Monkey society.
Old 12-14-14, 06:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Neither... I pulled out my copy of Life narrated by David Attenborough. He agrees with Oprah, but it's also the same script or at least the Oprah version was basterdized from Attenborough's. Life indicates this particular (my words - not the documentary) hot spring is reserved for the highest ranking Females and infants with a male making sure any who attempt to use the spring are acceptable. I got the impression that this is for a particular region, or a particular hot spring in the region, since it was indicated by name. Due to the narration I felt this particular group was singled out to vividly demonstrate the separation of classes in Snow Monkey society.
That makes sense.
Old 12-14-14, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 460 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
Originally Posted by mrcellophane
"Picture it: Sicily, 1922. A young girl decides that one day, she's going to take over the world..."
That's a show that I want to watch: a mix of Golden Girls with Pinky and the Brain!
Old 12-14-14, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
That's a show that I want to watch: a mix of Golden Girls with Pinky and the Brain!
lol
Old 12-14-14, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Amidst the documentaries I am watching, I decided to work on Gargoyles too. I didn't start at the beginning of Season 2 Volume 1 however, I started with 'Shadows of the Past', the beginning of the World Tour, as I mainly plan to work on my Season 2 Volume 2 set. There is one more world tour episode on Season 2 Volume 1, so I will watch that, and then open the new set.
Old 12-14-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I finished S3 of the Golden Girls today. Some episodes holds up much better than others but the standout of that season for me is "Mixed Blessings". I watched this on DVD and I must be spoiled with HD images because I wished that they at least remastered the series before putting it on DVD. It does not look good and my Panasonic Blu-ray player up scales DVD images pretty well.

Amidst the documentaries I am watching, I decided to work on Gargoyles too. I didn't start at the beginning of Season 2 Volume 1 however, I started with 'Shadows of the Past', the beginning of the World Tour, as I mainly plan to work on my Season 2 Volume 2 set. There is one more world tour episode on Season 2 Volume 1, so I will watch that, and then open the new set.
I have this on my list too to watch on the challenge. I pre-ordered S2 Volume 2 for $9.99 at Amazon.ca
Old 12-14-14, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After finishing S3 of the Golden Girls, I decided to continue with a Comedy series and started watching the S2 Blu-ray of The Big Bang Theory. I watched the first 4 episodes of the season and I must say, the image quality was outstanding compared to the Golden Girls DVD.

I like the early seasons before Amy and Bernadette join the cast although I haven't watched the past few seasons. The whole Penny and Leonard is not tiresome yet.
Old 12-15-14, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts

Are any of us actually waiting for the Challenge to begin? I just started S5 of The Wire last night. Season 4 broke my heart so I had to wait a day to start the next episodes. This was such an amazing series.
Old 12-15-14, 09:28 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by lisadoris
Are any of us actually waiting for the Challenge to begin? I just started S5 of The Wire last night. Season 4 broke my heart so I had to wait a day to start the next episodes. This was such an amazing series.
Seems like a lot of people have already started.
Old 12-15-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have already and just talk about it in this thread. I have a huge backlog of TV shows on DVD and Blu-ray that I want to tackle this year (I'm not even including the shows on Netflix and Hulu+). Once we officially start, I'll start listing the shows on the List Thread.
Old 12-15-14, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm watching tv even when I'm not at home. Just finished the Livewire and Parasite episode of Superman: The Animated Series on Amazon Prime. Killing time while I wait for my Dr appt by watching on my phone.
Old 12-15-14, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Over the weekend I watched 17 episodes of "Ultraman," "Ultra Q," and "Space Sheriff Gavan."

(In addition to regular weekend viewings of new installments of "Pokemon" and "Power Rangers.")

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 12-15-14 at 11:33 AM.
Old 12-15-14, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Over the weekend I watched 17 episodes of "Ultraman," "Ultra Q," and "Space Sheriff Gavan."
Spoiler:

(In addition to regular weekend viewings of new installments of "Pokemon" and "Power Rangers.")
Awesome pictures! I should make a point of posting pics of my viewing endeavors. When I get home from work, I usually unwind with dinner and an episode of Murder, She Wrote, and I've noticed that it has some of the best reaction shots and some of the best teased hair!
Old 12-15-14, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The reason I've unofficially started, was I always watch tv anyways, so now that the thread is up, I can talk about my tv viewing.
Old 12-15-14, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^Ditto. I believe the *only* challenge I don't watch much, if any, "TV" is the Horror one. For that one it's all horror movies (although I *do* watch a bit of "live" TV when on the computer). In all others I mix TV shows in with the movies.

While I *love* movies I *really love* TV shows. I've gotten to the point with my purchases that I'll frequently eschew the purchase of a movie and pick up a comparably priced TV season/show instead simply because I get more entertainment value for my $$. About the only exceptions are a highly desired film going on sale for a very good price. A recent example of that is the WB Charlie Chan set with Shadows Over Chinatown, Docks of New Orleans, Shanghai Chest, and The Golden Eye going on sale from TCM Shop (typically a highly overpriced venue with a high "free" shipping threshold) for a bit under $12 with free shipping. That's a deal on a highly desired set I just couldn't let pass. Of course there's also a TV connection as I was exposed to the Charlie Chan films on late night TV and not in the theater (like the vast majority of my movie viewings from the "classic" era).

I recently purchased series 2 of The League of Gentlemen from Hamilton Books. I've never seen the series before and the price (a whole $1 plus shipping pro-rated from the entire order - another $.50 or so?) made it a no-brainer to start in the middle and purchase that series as a sampler. I watched a episode last night. It was... odd. I don't know if I really should have started with series 1 or not or if it was that I fell asleep on the episode *several* times (it was late and I'd already watched a movie). I think I'm going to start over tonight while I'm better rested.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 12-15-14 at 02:12 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.