DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts
Re: 5th Annual August Animation Challenge - Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Thanks! I'm curious to get your impression of the tome. The single review on Amazon wasn't too positive - mainly based on the way the material is organized. A quick "look inside" shows there's *lots* of interesting and informative material but, like the single reviewer, I think it would have been better organized by presenting the information in chronological order as it appeared in the show. As presented, it truly looks like a book for someone who knows the sketches forwards and backwards and who's looking for more perspective. I'll be picking up a copy of this one at some point for its wealth of information.

After a bit of research/reading I purchased a copy of:

Monty Python's Flying Circus: Complete and Annotated...All the Bits

What sold me on this one instead was this from the description:

It doesn't have as many, or as detailed, notes as Monty Python's Flying Circus: An Utterly Complete, Thoroughly Unillustrated, Absolutely Unauthorized Guide to Possibly All the References, but having the original script annotated is a big attraction. I'm curious to see where the aired versions deviated and what was left out.
That does sound good! I got mine at a used book store, so you take what you can get! I noticed right away that the references were in alphabetical order. It does seem like a weird way to organize it alright.
Old 08-06-14, 09:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LorenzoL
Thanks for the recommendation! I feel it's much better than the original but I like how they keep referencing to the original series. It's like they decided to do a version of Scooby-Doo that tries to answers the "what if" about the characters personal lives
I was also a big fan of Scooby Doo: Mystery Incorporated. I especially liked the episode with the two giant monsters that was a tribute to the Japanese classic War of the Gargantuas, all the way down to the woman that sang the goofy song called "The Words Get Stuck in My Throat" (the same song in the movie)!
Old 08-07-14, 12:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I finished The Vision of Escaflowne (1996), a fantasy anime about Hitomi, a high school girl who is transported to another planet. It was a blind buy from Hastings, and I'm really glad that it was cheap enough for me to pick up. The story takes a long to introduce the characters and maneuver into place, and the first half it too enamored of the giant fighting mechs used in the planet's battles, but when it finally delves into the complex politics and bizarre quirkiness of the world, things get interesting. Frankly, the series could have been longer; I would not mind exploring the world it sets up and see more adventures with the characters.

I'm also enjoying my rewatch of The Venture Bros. which is one of my favorite adult cartoons. Brock Samson is a truly great character, and I will always want to be Dr. Orpheus's friend.
Old 08-07-14, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Was in the mood for some mecha anime this morning, so thought, what better place to look than Crunchyroll. I have the channel on my Roku, so could watch it on TV, and decided on Demonbane, a series I watched the first episode of last month. I watched 2 more episodes this morning.
Old 08-07-14, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I watched The Snorks on Hulu. I really don't remember the intro and theme music to be so long and bad.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 08-07-14 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-07-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I watched Gingerdead Man vs. Evil Bong last night. God that was stupid. The "story" didn't really start until around 55 minutes into an hour and 21 minute movie. Before that, it was flashbacks through the previous Evil Bong and Gingerdead Man films(minus part 3 of GM), none of which really mattered because you don't lose any less to this movie by not seeing the previous films. Then we had cameos from Ooga Booga. Then we had product placements for all the merchandise Full Moon was selling.

The "vs" in the title is stretching things a bit. There's no battle. Also, if you get trapped in the bong, you just need to wish that you could stay in it. You see, it works by giving you the opposite of what you want. That system only works when needed because you also get what you want when you first enter it.

Not even worth a rental. Watch the trailer and call it a day.

Before this film, I finished Decadent Evil. Based on everything describing the film, you'd think the little puppet guy would have more of a role in the plot but it's basically a vampire film about a lady that will become invincible once she hits 1,000 victims and she's really close to it. It too, was dumb and the only redeeming part was the last 20 seconds.

Based on these two horrible Full Moon films that I've watched back to back, the Full Moon section of my movie shelf will now be integrated alphabetically with the rest of my films and I will be tossing the truly bad (aka their recent) films. That just leaves my Mill Creek, Brentwood, and Something Weird segregated films sections.
Are those animated? Or was this meant for the horror thread?
Old 08-07-14, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi
I'm doing puppetry and cgi character animation crap.

That reminds me, Gingerdead Man's mouth is done in the style of a real mouth pasted on top of where his mouth would go. Reminds me of those awful cartoons I watched last year that did the same thing.
Do you mean the "Synchro-Vox lip technique" like was used on Clutch Cargo and Space Angel? When I watched Space Angel during the original run I didn't noticed (but I was 7) - it's *glaringly* bad now...
Old 08-07-14, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you mean the "Synchro-Vox lip technique" like was used on Clutch Cargo and Space Angel? When I watched Space Angel during the original run I didn't noticed (but I was 7) - it's *glaringly* bad now...
Yes. I have both of those in some 600 cartoons mega set put out by Mill Creek.
Old 08-07-14, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
The book is called Monty Python's Flying Circus: An Utterly Complete, Thoroughly Unillustrated, Absolutely Unauthorized Guide to Possibly All the References.

Unfortunately, one wildcard wouldn't cut it for an entire series, but I've now left the book at my parents because it was too big for my luggage so I guess I'm waiting for comedy month after all!
I'll be getting that, then (already got the annotated scripts)! Amazon seems to have "Volume 1" and "Complete," so is it safe to assume there is no Volume 2, or is "Complete" actually "Volume 2" do you happen to know...?
Old 08-07-14, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^What I found when looking at them was Amazon has the "Complete" in HC and Volume 1 & Volume 2 in paperback editions. It's about the same price for the HC as it is for both volumes if purchased from Amazon. You could save a *few* $$ using a MP vendor but not enough for the tradoff IMHO.
Old 08-07-14, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Try Scooby-Doo! Mystery Incorporated; of the original's descendants it's arguably the greatest. It's dark, serialized and has some great guest performers.
While I thought the show overall was very good, the last few episodes kind of fell flat for me. I'm not sure how I'd expect them to wrap up the storylines, but I thought it was a bit over the top, even for Scooby-Doo.
Old 08-07-14, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Between being out of town and sick, I finally got around to watching some animation today. Did a great DreamWorks doubleheader from 2010 with How To Train Your Dragon and Megamind. What a great pair of movies! Both are must sees. I plan to see the Dragon sequel this weekend.

Last edited by pacaway; 08-08-14 at 05:08 AM.
Old 08-08-14, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just saw my first episode of Batman: The Brave and the Bold. While I thought the animation itself was rather cheap looking, the show itself seemed quite good, and team ups with different super heroes in every episode is a major plus in my book.
Old 08-08-14, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Between being out of town and sick, I finally got around to watching some animation today. Did a great DreamWorks doubleheader from 2010 with How To Train Your Dragon and Megamind. What a great pair of movies! Both are must sees. I plan to see the Dragon sequel this weekend.
How to Train Your Dragon is such an excellent film, one of my favorite recent cartoons. I won't say anything about the sequel, but I would love to hear what you think about it after you see it.

I was pleasantly surprised by Megamind which looked like a tired concept with Will Ferrell at his most over-the-top. But I really loved it and thought it was very funny and unexpectedly moving.
Old 08-08-14, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
How to Train Your Dragon is such an excellent film, one of my favorite recent cartoons. I won't say anything about the sequel, but I would love to hear what you think about it after you see it.

I was pleasantly surprised by Megamind which looked like a tired concept with Will Ferrell at his most over-the-top. But I really loved it and thought it was very funny and unexpectedly moving.
Both of those surprised me as well! *Especially* Megamind as I absolutely avoid most stuff with Will Ferrell (do *not* like his schtick at all). I think what helped me with Megamind is that you don't *see* Ferrell and I didn't recognize his voice (but that could be from a general avoidance of his work). My grandson watches the How to Train Your Dragon series on occasion and the few episodes I've watched with him have been very entertaining as well.
Old 08-08-14, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I just broke down and joined the Disney Movie Club. I figured 4 movies for $1 and free shipping couldn't be beat as an intro offer, considering, I have 2 years to buy my next 5 movies. Gargoyles Season 2 Volume 2 clinched it for me, considering Amazon wanted $40 for the same set. Now I just need to order season 1, and I'll have all of the good episodes.
Old 08-08-14, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I have been trying to watch Martian Successor Nadesico but I just have not had a lot of time this month. I did not anticipate it being somewhat silly but I will stick with it. I'm hopeful to get to some other first time viewings as well.
Old 08-08-14, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by shadokitty
I just broke down and joined the Disney Movie Club. I figured 4 movies for $1 and free shipping couldn't be beat as an intro offer, considering, I have 2 years to buy my next 5 movies. Gargoyles Season 2 Volume 2 clinched it for me, considering Amazon wanted $40 for the same set. Now I just need to order season 1, and I'll have all of the good episodes.
Be careful on those fulfillment titles. If you use a discount and that discount takes the price of a title *below* the minimum it does *not* count!

You may want to try and cancel (800-362-4587 for DMC CS).

If you joined the Blu-Ray club Use this code instead: 10042B

If you joined the DVD club use this one: 10042D - it's the same offer as the BR one but mainly for DVDs.

Both those are "Get 5 for $1 w/free shipping" and "buy 3 movies at regular Club prices in the next 24 months. The big difference is for the DVD club it's "starting at $19.95 per DVD and $29.95 per Blu-ray" but the BR club is "starting at $29.95 per DVD and $29.95 per Blu-ray", plus shipping and processing" to fulfill. It also has a "Take Your First Bonus Movie for only $11.95 " to reduce the obligation to 2, plus a "Take a Second Bonus Movie for only $8.95" that doesn't count towards fulfillment. Both "Bonus" selections also get free shipping.

I believe you can still get BR for enrollments even with the DVD club. IIRC the only difference in the two is you're offered DVDs as the disc-of-the-month rather than BR and with the BR club the minimum purchase amount is higher.

Read the Disney Blu-ray Club! thread for more deals, etc.
Old 08-08-14, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

My family pretty much experienced the exact same reactions to both movies. I'm very glad we saw them both during their theatrical runs. Others in my family have already seen the Dragon sequel and are insisting I go, so I can already anticipate how they felt about it! I'll let you know though.

Both of those surprised me as well! *Especially* Megamind as I absolutely avoid most stuff with Will Ferrell (do *not* like his schtick at all). I think what helped me with Megamind is that you don't *see* Ferrell and I didn't recognize his voice (but that could be from a general avoidance of his work). My grandson watches the How to Train Your Dragon series on occasion and the few episodes I've watched with him have been very entertaining as well.
I feel the exact same way about Will Ferrell. The only other thing I've liked of his was Stranger Than Fiction which was again him being cast against type. Not knowing it was Will Ferrell helped a lot! Once you realize it is him, you're already hooked.

As for Dragon, I have not seen any of the series stuff, only the first movie (so far). Again, watching it last night, I was blown away by the amazing attention to detail in the CGI! It (and Megamind for that matter) were definitely done at a time where that was still deemed important. The landscapes, etc. could have been photographs. The ships, the water, the trees, etc. are absolutely stunning.
Old 08-08-14, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I watched "The Fox and the Hound" and "The Fox and the Hound II" yesterday. I've only watched the first once before. I have to say, this time around I'm bewildered how a best friend relationship happened in two days. The end of the film makes it seem like longer, but they meet and play, then the next day Copper is tied up and Tod comes to find him and gets in trouble. That's how long they've known each other before they're separated. I have a feeling it was supposed to be a longer time, but it did not carry across.

The sequel (well, sort of prequel) was a total 180 in temperament. Instead of being kind of dark, this one is light and airy with a kid friendly moral. None of the voice actors were the same which wasn't too bad. Even having watched the original right before, it wasn't too noticeable. Had a lot more singing which was ok. I'd almost say I like this better than the original, but I am a fan of Mickey Rooney who voiced Tod.

After those two, I watched "Mars Needs Moms." The first 30 minutes, I really didn't like it. The animation style was just too...odd? stiff? for me. It was like everything was just off enough for you to notice in a subliminal way but you can't put your finger on what is wrong. After awhile though, either I got used to it or the story picked up enough that I could ignore it. Though Seth Green's character bugged me the whole time anyway as I could see him but they replaced his voice, so it didn't really match up for me.

I ended up enjoying the story, though Gribble was a little over the top, but I saw what they were trying to do with his character. I read that this is one of the biggest box office bombs ever, but honestly, I don't know if it deserves that reputation. It's not the greatest, but it's watchable once you get past the animation.
Old 08-08-14, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by LJG765
I watched "The Fox and the Hound" and "The Fox and the Hound II" yesterday. I've only watched the first once before. I have to say, this time around I'm bewildered how a best friend relationship happened in two days. The end of the film makes it seem like longer, but they meet and play, then the next day Copper is tied up and Tod comes to find him and gets in trouble. That's how long they've known each other before they're separated. I have a feeling it was supposed to be a longer time, but it did not carry across.
When I was a kid, I received The Fox and the Hound on VHS (along with Aladdin) for Christmas and watched it many, many times. Then I rewatched it last year after finding a cheap copy and was slightly disappointed. As a kid, I imbued the central friendship with a lot more depth than the film, and like you, I thought it spanned a greater amount of time. That part of the film was lacking.

Also, I had problems with two minor characters: the nurturing owl and the farmer. The owl changes her opinion very quickly. One minute, she's encouraging the friendship and the next she's chastising Todd for thinking it would ever work out. And the film doesn't acknowledge that the farmer is completely deranged. He barges into a neighbor's house, brandishing a gun and threatening violence, and the film ends with "oh, he's a silly ol' grump". No! He's dangerous! I was saddened by my reaction, because there is some great animation and voice work in the film as well as a genuinely wrenching moment.
Old 08-08-14, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Also, I had problems with two minor characters: the nurturing owl and the farmer. The owl changes her opinion very quickly. One minute, she's encouraging the friendship and the next she's chastising Todd for thinking it would ever work out. And the film doesn't acknowledge that the farmer is completely deranged. He barges into a neighbor's house, brandishing a gun and threatening violence, and the film ends with "oh, he's a silly ol' grump". No! He's dangerous! I was saddened by my reaction, because there is some great animation and voice work in the film as well as a genuinely wrenching moment.
Oh yeah! I thought that myself. I'm sitting there going, why is this guy not being arrested for breaking and entering and using a gun? At the least he should be in some hospital getting his mental state checked out! Then when he broke into the preserve? Yeah, my suspension of belief took a hit there! (Not to mention how many times his shot gun fired without him reloading...)

Took a bit of a break from Disney this afternoon. Watched "Kiki's Delivery Service" and "From Up On Poppy Hill." Second time I've watched "Poppy Hill" and still enjoyed it as much as the first time. I really enjoy the story behind it.
Old 08-08-14, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Despicable Me 2 for the 2nd time this challenge and about the 15th time overall - my youngest granddaughter *loves* this one... "Can we watch Be-doh, paw?" In spite of seeing it so many times (typically a couple per week) I still find funny stuff and always get a few laughs from it. Of course the best part is watching her sing and dance along when a musical number comes up! I *still* have not seen the first film all the way through. Every few times I try to put it in but she won't let me watch it because she likes the 2nd one better!
Old 08-08-14, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Watched the episode of Superman: The Animated Series that introduced Metallo. I enjoy the show. Like B:TAS, the show has actual villains from the comic books in it. In fact, I own the entire series of Superman, and I have a free trial of Amazon Prime this month, so I can also watch Batman this month as well.
Old 08-08-14, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

In honor of national cat day, my cat is watching "The Lion King."

photo 3c1dc3c5-e66a-46c4-9141-1005f24c16ed_zpsa2093d1f.jpg

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.