DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

7th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-14, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: 7th Annual Sci-Fi/Fantasy Challenge Discussion Thread

Originally Posted by LJG765
Quick question-how is counting done for the checklist/watch list?
From the first post:
*Watching enough shorts or TV to count as one entry, you can use that one entry as a check on the checklist, as long as each of them count for whatever you're checking. You can mix and match what you've seen to make a check, they all don't have to be grouped together as a single entry on your watch list.
I'm trying to decide how much I want to try to complete it this year. Even though I caused lots of additions I really want to focus on the unopened piles. I have enough SF/Fantasy in those to breeze through the month but, IIRC, little of it qualifies for the checklist. I really should catalog it to see for sure...
Old 06-25-14, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I saw that, but it doesn't really say how much is one entry. The only time references are about radio shows, I believe. I did go back and look at last years and it looks like 1=1 no matter how long so I think it's however you want to do it. (didn't think to do that before I posted, whoops).

And...the 3rd time I looked at the opening post, I found it.

"Use any counting method you prefer, as prize determination does not depend on number of items watched."

I skipped over that a few times. Gah, sometimes I annoy myself for missing the obvious.
Old 06-25-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

^I missed that too!

With that line I quoted I'd just thought it was the counting method that uses 4 half-hour or 2 hour TV episodes as a single movie/entry. I've gotten to where like the "easy" method as it doesn't take as much time or space to put TV episodes in a list. That method also seems to help discussion more as you're not so focused on getting raw numbers.
Old 06-25-14, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
^I missed that too!

With that line I quoted I'd just thought it was the counting method that uses 4 half-hour or 2 hour TV episodes as a single movie/entry. I've gotten to where like the "easy" method as it doesn't take as much time or space to put TV episodes in a list. That method also seems to help discussion more as you're not so focused on getting raw numbers.
Yeah, I like just being able to post the update without having to math. I agree about not making it about the numbers. I like knowing how many shows I've watched, but it's not like I go back and see how many I watched last year. Maybe some people do, but by letting us do whatever as long as it's numbered, I think everyone can win.
Old 06-25-14, 11:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the checklist finalized? I was planning on printing it out if it was, so I could start getting ideas on what I wanted to watch.
Old 06-26-14, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoutjunk
Is the checklist finalized? I was planning on printing it out if it was, so I could start getting ideas on what I wanted to watch.
It's finalized. Go right ahead. Last things I have to do to get ready for the challenge are pick out prizes and work on a banner.
Old 06-26-14, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Prizes are chosen, just waiting for the ok from GoldenWheels. Ran into a stumbling block on the banner, so won't be a banner this year. Sorry folks.
Old 06-28-14, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've got the prizes picked, and am just waiting for the final ok from GoldenWheels, saying he has pulled them to list them. I hope everyone likes my choices.

On another note, been watching Ancient Aliens Season 3 for the Historical Challenge to wet my appetite for the SciFi Challenge. Plan to start the challenge with double credit something. Either Time Tunnel, or an eligible documentary, like Ancient Aliens, my Movie monster documentary, or perhaps a UFO documentary on Roku. Anyone else have an idea what they are starting with?
Old 06-28-14, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm planning to lead out with my Warner Archive disc of On a Clear Day You Can See Forever as a dual entry in both the history and sci-fi/fantasy challenges
Old 06-28-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

I might start with The Event

Not going to have a high score this go around as life is getting pretty busy but still looking forward to it none the less.
Old 06-28-14, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I'm hoping to start with Firefly which I haven't watched in several years. I've got lots of films pulled to watch, including loads of Godzilla and Gamera flicks. I also want to revisit the Batman films.
Old 06-29-14, 04:15 AM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I have some rentals I'm holding for the beginning. So I'll watch those first to get my rotation in line. Holy cow! I just noticed that the first is on Tuesday. I can't remember, are we starting on 6/30 at sundown or on 7/1? I guess I could look it up...Naw, too lazy right now.
Old 06-29-14, 05:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 143 Likes on 98 Posts

I hope to finish season 4 of The X-Files tomorrow so I can start the challenge with season 5. Maybe, just maybe, I'll even be able to fit in some non X-Files related titles toward the end of the month.
Old 06-29-14, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by shellebelle
I have some rentals I'm holding for the beginning. So I'll watch those first to get my rotation in line. Holy cow! I just noticed that the first is on Tuesday. I can't remember, are we starting on 6/30 at sundown or on 7/1? I guess I could look it up...Naw, too lazy right now.
Sundown on the 30th
Old 06-29-14, 10:56 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Got the MST3K 20th and 25th anniversary dvds, so that what I'll be getting into.
Old 06-29-14, 11:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Sundown on the 30th
Thanks shadokitty!
Old 06-30-14, 01:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Haven't pulled anything, but am excited to get going on this challenge. I have several movies in mind to watch and actually feel like watching/participating. I've been really busy this month and just not been able to get into this June's challenge, so I'm hoping that July turns out differently! This is one of my favorite genres so it's always easy to find something to watch!
Old 06-30-14, 06:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Haven't pulled anything, but am excited to get going on this challenge. I have several movies in mind to watch and actually feel like watching/participating. I've been really busy this month and just not been able to get into this June's challenge, so I'm hoping that July turns out differently! This is one of my favorite genres so it's always easy to find something to watch!
This is one of my favorite genres too. It's why I picked up running the challenge. To keep it from disappearing. May start with my Godzilla and Other Movie Monsters documentary for double credit tonight.
Old 06-30-14, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just watched the first episode of Xena: Warrior Princess to wet my appetite for tonight. I say it counts, as anything that Netflix has listed as Sci Fi/Fantasy counts by my rules.
Old 06-30-14, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

With the provision that it must be only eligible for double credit with the Historical challenge until sunset tonight, I decided to start the sci fi challenge early and open it up to starting now if you want.
Old 06-30-14, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think I've gotten to a good start. Watched "The Fly" and "20 Million Miles to Earth." Deciding if I want to finish off the Ray Harryhausen set and watch "Earth vs the Flying Saucers" or if I want to do something a little more recent. I need to check what I have to watch and see if anything else catches my eye.

I was surprised at how much I did enjoy "20 Million Miles," though. These kind of movies are usually hit and miss (and usually more miss than hit) with me but I did enjoy this one. The monster was well done and you did feel a bit sympathetic for it even.
Old 06-30-14, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
This is one of my favorite genres too. It's why I picked up running the challenge. To keep it from disappearing. May start with my Godzilla and Other Movie Monsters documentary for double credit tonight.
This one and Animation are my top 2, followed by Holiday. I probably lean a little more towards fantasy than Sci-fi, but both are so fun to watch. I also tend to read these genres so it's fun to see if what I've created in my mind is what is shown on screen.
Old 06-30-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think I've gotten to a good start. Watched "The Fly" and "20 Million Miles to Earth." Deciding if I want to finish off the Ray Harryhausen set and watch "Earth vs the Flying Saucers" or if I want to do something a little more recent. I need to check what I have to watch and see if anything else catches my eye.

I was surprised at how much I did enjoy "20 Million Miles," though. These kind of movies are usually hit and miss (and usually more miss than hit) with me but I did enjoy this one. The monster was well done and you did feel a bit sympathetic for it even.
I've got that set, and also enjoyed 20 Million Miles to Earth when I watched it. I started, not counting the double credit pre challenge I opened up this afternoon, with more double credit with a couple episodes about the Mayan prophecies on Season 4 of Ancient Aliens. Haven't decided if I want to watch more for more double credit, or branch off into pure sci-fi/fantasy now.
Old 06-30-14, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This one and Animation are my top 2, followed by Holiday. I probably lean a little more towards fantasy than Sci-fi, but both are so fun to watch. I also tend to read these genres so it's fun to see if what I've created in my mind is what is shown on screen.
Same here.
Old 07-01-14, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Started today with an episode of Super Robot Red Baron, then decided, eh, move onto something else. I was in the mood to do a film or two from one of my MC sets, and since I couldn't locate my Sci Fi Classics, and Sci Fi Invasion is missing some DVDs from when I was on the verge of tossing the set, I decided on my 20 movie Monsters set. The first movie in the set happens to be one of my favorite genres, a kaiju movie, Monster From A Prehistoric Planet.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.