Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-14, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Trevor
Agreed!
Thanks.
Old 04-27-14, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Originally Posted by Dimension X
I think the creative title, and use of pictures as supporting evidence, more than make up for that.
I think so too

Between my DVDs, and my Roku, I should be set for this challenge. There are tons of documentaries on Roku, and tons of sporting events on demand, and love as well on Roku as well. Now I just need to find my DVD on Vince McMahon that I got for Christmas one year, but misplaced before I could watch.
Old 04-27-14, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Very nice. It looks familiar but I can't quite place it either. Robot Chicken sketch?
It never gets old to me
Old 04-27-14, 01:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
It never gets old to me
Thanks. I'm pretty sure I saw that in one of the random video threads in other, and that's why the pic was vaguely familiar.
Old 04-27-14, 11:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
Hmmm I really like your idea. I do have multiple tv and longer running anime series I need to make progress on. I also have an omnipresent Criterion blu-ray backlog since the challenges so far this year haven't really pushed me in that direction too much.
In March I decided to watch the complete Criterion Collection. Between films I had already seen, and films I've watched since I started, I've seen a little over 300 of the films.
Old 04-28-14, 05:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I've finally decided to be in for this one. Inspired by Mr. Terrific I'm also going to do multiple challenges:

1. Finish 30 Rock - I'm half way through season 4 at the moment
2. Make headway with Star Trek: The Next Generation - I'm partway through the blu rays of Season 2 with the Season 3 box set also beckoning me. They look beautiful.
3. Make headway with Knots Landing. I'm one episode away from finishing Season 2.
4. Make headway with Dark Shadows. I'm nearly at episode 400.

I could go on forever but am going to stop there with TV, but I have one more, which is a Tarzan challenge. I've really enjoyed completing my Johnny Weissmuller Tarzan box sets as part of the B-Movie challenge and am really intrigued as to where the series went next so...

5. Watch as many post-Weissmuller Tarzan movies as possible.

Last edited by sharktrager; 04-29-14 at 04:03 AM. Reason: added dark shadows challenge
Old 04-28-14, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seems like quite a few people are doing multiple challenges this year.
Old 04-28-14, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Before picture for the Clean Up the Huge Pile of "Things I'm Planning On Watching Soon or I've Bought Recently and Haven't Put Away" Lying Around Our Bedroom, Before My Wife Kills Me Challenge:

Spoiler:

I've decided to include the stuff beside the bed AND in the top drawer of the dresser. Both are used for the same purpose. And as you can see, including the top drawer means I can still watch Veronica Mars (season one anyway).
Old 04-28-14, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Tempted to do a Shaw Bros challenge but have almost no "free" time this month! Argh!
Old 04-28-14, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pacaway
Before picture for the Clean Up the Huge Pile of "Things I'm Planning On Watching Soon or I've Bought Recently and Haven't Put Away" Lying Around Our Bedroom, Before My Wife Kills Me Challenge:

Spoiler:

I've decided to include the stuff beside the bed AND in the top drawer of the dresser. Both are used for the same purpose. And as you can see, including the top drawer means I can still watch Veronica Mars (season one anyway).
Looks like you have a lot to keep you busy. How will you choose what to watch?
Old 04-28-14, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If you think you can't sucker punch an already cheesy series of films, watch Poison Ivy: The Secret Society. Makes you feel bad for the first 3, that weren't that good anyway...
Old 04-28-14, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Looks like you have a lot to keep you busy. How will you choose what to watch?
Either start at the top, or the bottom! Maybe skip anything that could be used for the historical month, or for July and August, I guess. I see Star Trek: TAS in the drawer there, so I can keep that for August, for instance (or July, for that matter, I guess).

I almost cleaned it up to make it look respectable, but that would skew the before after pics, so I humbly took the pictures as is. Cleaning it up will be part of the project.
Old 04-28-14, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Spoiler:

I can't wait to see how much of a dent you can put into that in a month.
Old 04-28-14, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Tempted to do a Shaw Bros challenge but have almost no "free" time this month! Argh!
Welcome back. I hope you can join us, even if only for a few films. I guess a lot of work can pile up during a long vacation. Hope you had fun wherever you went and whatever you did.

I was waiting for GoldenWheels to get back to add this:

Free stuff!

provided by

Thanks, GoldenWheels!

HOW TO WIN
On June 1st, three winners will be randomly chosen from the Challenge participants (using Random.org). In keeping with the spirit of the Make-Your-Own Challenge, those three winners will pick their own prizes from HamiltonBook.com.

Prize selection will be limited to items priced $20 or less.

You must have a US mailing address to receive a prize.

Any unclaimed prize opportunities will be re-gifted on June 4.

I will announce the prizes chosen so we can all be envious and/or amused by the selections.

Last edited by Dimension X; 04-28-14 at 12:06 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Similar to what I did last year, I can't wait any longer, so I'm going to make an unofficial heading on my list before the official start time, and start watching tonight.
Old 04-28-14, 05:47 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

My plans for the challenge have finally come together.

1. Watch thirty 30 for 30 documentaries.
2. Watch JoJo's Bizarre Adventure (2012-2013 series - 26 episodes)
3. Watch a Criterion boxset

Thanks to MrTerrific for the inspiration with the three tier challenge. This should enable me to watch a lot of stuff I have been meaning to watch but haven't found the time for during other challenges and with other hobbies taking up my free time.

Last edited by malazar; 04-28-14 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-28-14, 10:27 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks to MrTerrific for the inspiration with the three tier challenge. This should enable me to watch a lot of stuff I have been meaning to watch but haven't found the time for during other challenges and with other hobbies taking up my free time.
I just finished the Zatoichi box set. INCREDIBLE!
Old 04-29-14, 07:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTerrific
I just finished the Zatoichi box set. INCREDIBLE!
I had thought about making this a Zatoichi challenge month for me since I have the set but haven't started watching it yet, but thought that might kill my enjoyment watching them all in a month rather than over time.
Old 04-29-14, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm leaning towards parallel/tiered challenges, too... but I'm wondering whether to fudge out a unifying theme, just come up with two (or three) separate ideas, or....

..not even sure I'll have the same amount of free time in May that I've grown used to, either.
Old 04-30-14, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Even though I've done a little pre challenge listing, the last day or two, I can't wait till tonight to really begin in earnest. Haven't decided if I want to start with a documentary, or a sporting event though. Maybe watch some of each tonight. How much do people plan to watch tonight?
Old 04-30-14, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,018 Likes on 841 Posts

Spoiler:

Looks like you can watch Veronica Mars twice!
Old 04-30-14, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by davidh777
Looks like you can watch Veronica Mars twice!
Three times! There's the outbox in the corner, the package with the discs in it near the front, AND one of the discs on the spool near the back!
Old 04-30-14, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Luckily I'm getting $20 put in my PayPal account tomorrow, as I was given some money, and I'm putting it in my account, so WWE network, among a few other channels will be paid for another month. WWE Network is billed on the 3rd.
Old 04-30-14, 02:02 PM

I've decided to make my May challenge theme: Categorical Madness. I have come up with 10 categories and am hoping for 5+ entries per category. Some are already filled out but some are left to chance! Should be an interesting month!

Categories:
There goes the afternoon! (Movies over 150min)
It's already over? (Movies under 90min)
Life is like a box of chocolates….(Random.org selection)
And the nominees are…(Oscar nominees)
The choices are endless! (TV episodes from different mediums/sources)
Shh! This is a library! (Rentals from the library)
Hakuna Matata (Disney classics)
Do you really need a new movie? (Purchased May 2014)
Bang! Bang! (Leftovers from March Action/Adventure challenge)
Wildcard (Chosen by friends/family, theater, etc.)
Old 04-30-14, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by mcline87
I've decided to make my May challenge theme: Categorical Madness. I have come up with 10 categories and am hoping for 5+ entries per category. Some are already filled out but some are left to chance! Should be an interesting month!

Categories:
There goes the afternoon! (Movies over 150min)
It's already over? (Movies under 90min)
Life is like a box of chocolates….(Random.org selection)
And the nominees are…(Oscar nominees)
The choices are endless! (TV episodes from different mediums/sources)
Shh! This is a library! (Rentals from the library)
Hakuna Matata (Disney classics)
Do you really need a new movie? (Purchased May 2014)
Bang! Bang! (Leftovers from March Action/Adventure challenge)
Wildcard (Chosen by friends/family, theater, etc.)
Fantastic idea, I love it!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.