Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-14, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Wow. Now that was one long challenge I did. But it never got exhausting! Never knew my love for comic-book material could get this far!

Things I want to point out along the way:

-I was a little bummed out how tongue-in-cheek today's Marvel animated series are in comparison with DC's. Avengers Assemble did have a few shining moments whenever Doctor Doom showed up though. Both of his episodes were solid ("The Ambassador" being the stand-out winner. Such great action in that one)

-Since season 2 of Arrow wasn't available on netflix, I decided to end the show early in case I got too attached to it. I did think it lost some steam sometime after the 6th episode, however.

-Got subjected to watching some terribly despised movies along the way (Batman & Robin, Catwoman, Man-Thing, Supergirl, etc) Only Captain America (1990) was the one that left me slightly sick.

-Never was a big fan of either Captain Marvel or Hyperion, but they seemed to have won me over in this challenge. Cap-Marvel was handled very well in JLU (I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say much of Man of Steel's fight scenes were copied from his brawl with Superman on the show) and Hyperion (On Avengers Assemble) turned out to be one of the more memorable villains I saw during this challenge. Loved his berserker rage!

-It was pretty interesting to see the "Red carpet" footage for the very first X-Men movie. Since comic-book movies were in their infancy back then, both the cast & the interviewers seemed to label the genre as a "Special FX movie".

-As much as I (Surprisingly) liked Return to the Batcave, I would've liked it even more if the whole focus of the movie was set on the making of the 60's show. Speaking of which, I can't wait to get the discs for the Batman show. MUST SEE Catwoman's & Batgirl's costumes in HD!

-I much perfer Comic-Book Men when they're just stuck in the store and not doing any dumb missions. "Comic Charades" was the most perfect episode of the show I saw.

-Can't be sure, but I think Paul Levitz might have actually appeared more in this challenge than Stan Lee! BTW, aside from the gray hair, Michael Uslan looks younger now than he did in the 70's! As for the artist-appearances, I thought John Byrne would never show up. But he suddenly appeared on the final day! Too bad I didn't get to see Moebius though.
Lastly, It got tiresome to hear about Mr. Wertham's war on comics in numerous documentaries I watched, but that still remains as a pivotal moment for comic-book history.

-Believe it or not, a teary-eyed moment occured in this challenge during Secret Origin: The Story of DC Comics: The recollections during Supe's funeral.

-I guess the Marvel Knights series isn't for me. Beautiful artwork (Especially in Inhumans) but I just had a difficult time getting into all 3 shows I watched.

-I mentioned earlier that Lois & Clark turned out to be the surprise winner of my challenge...Too bad the last episode I saw brought out the suckiness (I expected "Superman vs Nazis" to be much better) and I'll reiterate my love for Teen Titans. Can't believe how much I love that show. There was only one episode that I couldn't finish (When Raven turns into a bunny) but everything else I saw was gold. "Troq", while being a quintessential preachie, still turned out to be the biggest highlight of the series I saw.

All in all, a wonderful challenge. Congrats to the winners and thanks for hosting, Dim-X!
Old 06-01-14, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Congrats to the winners!

Thanks for running things Dimension X!

Thanks *again* Goldenwheels for your support!!!
Old 06-01-14, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I'm extending my challenge by a day to finish Under the Dome. It's not great, but it's good enough that I want to watch the final couple of episodes (of Season 1).

I was sure after the first episode that the town policewoman was the lady from Eureka, but IMDb disagreed.

The animated Batman keeps getting better - and the voice cast is great. David Warner as Ra's, Rene Auberjonois, Robert Picardo... all kinds of people.
Old 06-01-14, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I had a lot of fun this challenge and was able to get several television box sets out of my unwatched pile. I also watched a couple great films such as Stand By Me and The Goonies.
Old 06-01-14, 09:09 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X

Our three winners have been chosen using Random.org. Those three winners get to pick their own prizes from HamiltonBook.com.

The three winners of the random drawing are:

1.SterlingBen
2.HyperWeather
3.Cardsfan111

Check your PMs for instructions.

Thanks again to GoldenWheels and the great folks at Hamilton Books! And thanks to all of the Challenge Participants!

As always, if your name wasn't picked, don't give up hope. The winners have three days to let us know that they know they've won (they can take as long as they like after that to pick their prize), after that any unclaimed prize opportunities will be re-gifted on June 4.
Thank you GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books for the prize! Also thank you DimensionX for hosting
Old 06-01-14, 09:39 PM

I'm not sure whats been up with me this month, but I just haven't been in a tv/movie watching mood all that much. So thankfully I did end up choosing sports because the only thing I really did want to watch were baseball games. So didn't get to any of my plans for the month, guess I might be doing sports again next year.
Old 06-02-14, 10:59 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

This was a successful challenge for me. I managed to put a dent in my unwatched Japanese material, revisited a few things I had seen before, and had a pretty good time overall. I'm not sure why I can't do this on my own. It takes a challenge for me to make this kind of consistent effort. So thanks to Dimension X for running the show and congratulations to the winners.
Old 06-02-14, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Still have to finish my list. Only a few films to add as I didn't get much viewing this month. Always hard to follow-up that B-Movie challenge successfully, but it did get me to see some good new films.
Old 06-03-14, 12:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Sterling Ben, your prize went out today, I did peel off the plastic wrap but only to verify that it was in fact the 3 disc/extra doc version of House on Straw Hill (it was). it's brand new, I was even able to leave the security sticker on top.

Cardsfan111, Swamp Thing combo pack hit the mail today as well.

Congrats guys!
Old 06-03-14, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Sterling Ben, your prize went out today, I did peel off the plastic wrap but only to verify that it was in fact the 3 disc/extra doc version of House on Straw Hill (it was). it's brand new, I was even able to leave the security sticker on top.

Congrats guys!
That's cool, SterlingBen got the one he wanted. I'm behind on posting this (partly because I wasn't 100% sure what SterlingBen was going to end up with, and mostly because I'm lazy). Here are the first two winners' selections:

SterlingBen picked House on Straw Hill Blu-ray + DVD combo pack (with the extra 3rd disc).

Cardsfan111 picked Swamp Thing Blu-ray + DVD combo pack.

Congrats guys. Thanks again, GoldenWheels (especially for going to the extra effort to check on that disc for SterlingBen)!

Still waiting on HyperWeather's pick. (I don't mean to rush you. Take your time.)

Last edited by Dimension X; 06-03-14 at 05:22 PM.
Old 06-03-14, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Thanks again!
Old 06-04-14, 06:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

I was really busy last month so didn't get to post much in the thread, but it was interesting to see how the rest of you made out.

I ended up successfully completing my goals with some extra bonus stuff.

I watched 30 of the ESPN Films/30 for 30 documentaries for that part of my challenge through various streaming means.

I completed my goal of watching a Criterion boxset by watching the Cassavetes blu-ray set. I'm sure I don't even need to say how enjoyable a set that was. As a bonus, I also watched The Human Condition set over Memorial Day weekend. What a fantastic epic story that was. I would say this might have cracked my overall top ten favorite films if I was to count it all as one long 10 hour story.

I also managed to catch up on the first season of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure from 2012/2013. It was as amazing as I expected it to be with all kinds of over the top action and characters named with music references. As a bonus, I also started watching the current season that is airing now.

Overall, it was another successful challenge for me. I might take it easy and just watch whatever this month.
Old 06-04-14, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Congrats guys!
I am thrilled, I remember reading about that and then thinking to myself that if I ever bought it on Amazon that it would be the two disc version and that I would be perpetually disappointed thereafter.

Thanks GoldenWheels!
Old 06-12-14, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Our final winner has picked her prize. HyperWeather picked The Poisoner's Handbook DVD.

HyperWeather, I've sent your info along to GoldenWheels.

I'd like to thank everyone again who participated. I really enjoyed this one, and I hope you all had at least as much as I did.

And, once again, a big thanks to GoldenWheels and Hamilton Books.
Old 06-12-14, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Received mine yesterday. Reviews in October. Thanks again GoldenWheels!
Old 06-13-14, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

All right, last prize going out to Hyperweather today. Congrats too all, thanks to Dimension for running it as always, and see you next time!
Old 06-23-14, 09:42 PM

All right, last prize going out to Hyperweather today. Congrats too all, thanks to Dimension for running it as always, and see you next time!
Thank you! I received my prize last week