Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I am going to do a scaled back challenge this month, 31 movies in 31 days. So my initial Black Friday challenge idea should fit just fine.
Old 04-25-14, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: The Fifth Annual May Make-Your-Own Challenge *Discussion Thread* May 1-31, 2014

I know it's my own challenge, so I can count it if I want, but I'd just like some opinions. I know wrestling is staged, but I still consider it kind of a sport, as they are athletes, and you don't get to be a wrestler by being out of shape, so would there be any objections to my counting stuff I watch on the WWE Network on Roku in the sports heading of my challenge?

Incidentally, I'm already unofficially watching stuff for my challenge. Anyone else started unofficially yet?
Old 04-25-14, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Incidentally, I'm already unofficially watching stuff for my challenge. Anyone else started unofficially yet?
Not yet, but (Since I'm doing a comic book challenge) I checked out some youtube vids last night (From VariantComics & Aggressive comix) I'm mostly unfamiliar with a lot of the animated movies, so it was interesting to see which ones are most recommended.
As for stuff from my own collection, I'm mostly going to be re-visiting all the numerous documentaries/featurettes on the discs....We'll see if I stay true to that (I'll likely re-watch the entire movies too)
Old 04-25-14, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Glad to see so many first-timers and returning challengers posting. Thank you, everyone.
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
I am going to do a scaled back challenge this month, 31 movies in 31 days. So my initial Black Friday challenge idea should fit just fine.
I'm going to set 50 movies as my goal. That's a number I can reach without pushing it. I just don't think I can do 100 movies in a month anymore (not even in October).
I know it's my own challenge, so I can count it if I want, but I'd just like some opinions. I know wrestling is staged, but I still consider it kind of a sport, as they are athletes, and you don't get to be a wrestler by being out of shape, so would there be any objections to my counting stuff I watch on the WWE Network on Roku in the sports heading of my challenge?
As you said, it's your challenge, your rules, but if you want, you can run two challenges, with two separate lists; one for sports, and one for wrestling.
Since all I've watched for the Drive-In Challenge this year has been SWV releases, and my MYOC will be a Something Weird Video Challenge, I guess you could say I've been doing mine for 25 days now.
Old 04-25-14, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

I am a Proffesional wrestler and it is every bit sports..
Old 04-25-14, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Darkgod
I am a Proffesional wrestler and it is every bit sports..
I'm not a wrestler, but I always considered it sports too.
Old 04-25-14, 10:25 PM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Gonna try multiple goals for this challenge.

1. Finish "The West Wing" Seasons 4 - 7.
2. Finish "Farscape" Seasons 2 - 4.
3. Watch at least 10 Criterion Collection films.
Old 04-25-14, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTerrific

Sounds awesome! I could do basically the same thing, substituting the first season of Farscape for seasons four and five of The West Wing.

I'm looking forward to the challenge!
Old 04-26-14, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I'm going crazy trying to come up with a theme! Because I'm still enjoying this months Drive-In challenge, I'm thinking maybe a creature feature challenge (maybe call it Bite Me!, or something). But I really want to go through Veronica Mars again and I really liked someone's suggestion of women investigators, or women fighting crime, because I'd also like to watch Chuck again or finally go through my Wonder Woman seasons, or even The X-Files. I just can't decide!!
Old 04-26-14, 08:55 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I never understood this challenge...until now. After participating in the January TV challenge and an unofficial TV challenge on the Unofficial iCheckMovies Forum, I still have so much TV left to watch that I need to devote another month to it.

So I'm in. Cops, Detectives and Crime on TV for me. I won't be as focused on this as I was this month and in January, but I'll continue working through shows like M Squad and Sherlock Holmes (BBC with Peter Cushing), watch a few TV movies and start into a few more series like Mike Hammer and Murdoch Mysteries.

Last edited by ororama; 05-02-14 at 12:35 AM.
Old 04-26-14, 09:39 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Sounds awesome! I could do basically the same thing, substituting the first season of Farscape for seasons four and five of The West Wing.

I'm looking forward to the challenge!
I'll definitely finish The West Wing during this challenge. I figure I can, at least, start Farscape this month and finish during the Sci-Fi month.

I was not a big fan of Season 1 of Farscape. Still can't buy Ben Browder as a leading guy.
Old 04-26-14, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Iv failed at last few challenges bc iv been so caught up in comicbook related stuff i havent been able to watch alot. so im gonna do a superhero marathon and try and get thro more of the animated stuff and the bonus material as im still new to the whole comic universe. going to track what comics i read also

also thnx to darkgod idea im doing a side wrestling challenge since iv been addicted to the wwe network
Old 04-26-14, 10:54 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

I think this one's easier than is NASCAR a sport, a wrestling match is absolutely an athletic endurance event, so I say count 'em three times
Old 04-26-14, 11:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Giles
my challenge is going to be all of "supplements features/material" - since the only challenges that allow this are the Action and Criterion challenges.
Good plan! I'm sort of doing this too. I have a personal checklist with daily and weekly items. I'm way behind in one of the weekly tasks, watch a Criterion film or supplement, so I'm going to use this Challenge to catch up (and maybe complete the entire year).
Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Maybe a FIFO challenge (First In First Out) Where I go back over my spending tab and watch all the movies that for whatever reason I have been avoiding for years?
That's a cool idea too!
Old 04-26-14, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 74 Likes on 60 Posts

I'm still up in the air with mine. I was thinking trying to finish off a couple lists at icheckmovies.com but looking at the ones I'd want to focus on, I realize why I haven't finished them-the movies just aren't ones I'm interested in. One or two I could do, but not a whole challenge worth. So, I guess I'm more leaning towards doing a TV on DVD challenge to get some of my unwatched stuff a chance. I wouldn't count anything on TV, just strictly what I have on disc (DVD or BR).

I still have Beetlejuice s. 4 to finish and just got Little House on the Prairie s.1 that I should watch to see if I want to get s.2 when it comes out. Plus a ton of other stuff...
Old 04-26-14, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My copy of Meerkat Manor S1 came today, but still waiting on my BBC documentaries, which seems strange, as the EBay tracking numbers said 2 of them were due to arrive today.
Old 04-26-14, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The list thread is now active.
Old 04-27-14, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

^Beautiful banner you made!
Old 04-27-14, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Thanks. I thought it turned out pretty good for a cut & paste MS Paint job.

I like yours too. What's the middle picture from?
Old 04-27-14, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now I'm thinking of going with Clean Up the Huge Pile of "Things I'm Planning On Watching Soon or I've Bought Recently and Haven't Put Away" Lying Around Our Bedroom, Before My Wife Kills Me. I probably have 50 or more items there. I'd post some before and after pictures.
Old 04-27-14, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by pacaway
Now I'm thinking of going with Clean Up the Huge Pile of "Things I'm Planning On Watching Soon or I've Bought Recently and Haven't Put Away" Lying Around Our Bedroom, Before My Wife Kills Me. I probably have 50 or more items there. I'd post some before and after pictures.
Is that a fancy way of saying Unwatched pile challenge?
Old 04-27-14, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Is that a fancy way of saying Unwatched pile challenge?
No, that's a MUCH bigger pile! This is the pile that my wife sees and cringes at every day and therefore affects my marital happiness on a day to day basis. Eliminating THIS pile will actually improve my quality of life! What nobler goal could there be?
Also they are not all unwatched. Just stuff I wanted to get around to watching again soon but has grown out of hand. Of course the lazy I haven't gotten around to putting away yet stuff would be unwatched, but likely recently bought for the last couple challenges, so would allow me to keep watching b-movie stuff like I stated earlier that I'd like to continue doing as well.

You're right though, it is still a pretty lazy theme.
Old 04-27-14, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by pacaway
You're right though, it is still a pretty lazy theme.
I think the creative title, and use of pictures as supporting evidence, more than make up for that.
Old 04-27-14, 08:59 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Dimension X
The list thread is now active.
Lucky number 13!
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Agreed!
Originally Posted by Dimension X
I like yours too. What's the middle picture from?
Very nice. It looks familiar but I can't quite place it either. Robot Chicken sketch?
Old 04-27-14, 09:20 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MrTerrific

Hmmm I really like your idea. I do have multiple tv and longer running anime series I need to make progress on. I also have an omnipresent Criterion blu-ray backlog since the challenges so far this year haven't really pushed me in that direction too much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.