Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-13, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

My list is finalized too.

Next year will be my 5th challenge, doesn't seem like it's been 5 years already! I was still a teenager :P All of you guys are awesome, it's nice to have somewhere to geek out about horror for a month.
Old 11-02-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by ntnon
I'm really unhappy that apparently after 131+ films, I saw nothing from any of the Producers. So no Checklist completion. I fell asleep during a late Hellraiser, so missed Soisson, and apparently it's different iterations of Scary Movie and Children of the Corn that were produced by people on that list. Unless I can turn up something in the next few hours..

Am I - and a thorough-ish scouring of IMDb - right in thinking that none of the subset films were produced by De Laurentiis or Soisson or Lewton...?
I even did both the "OPTIONAL" things... could I maybe count them in the stead of the Producers...?!
Old 11-02-13, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My list is finished. Life dictated one of my lowest totals ever, but I still had fun so that's what counts.

Best new find of the challenge: American Mary. Really dug that one.

Worst was Open Graves. It was awful and seemed to go on forever.
Old 11-02-13, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
My list is finalized too.

Next year will be my 5th challenge, doesn't seem like it's been 5 years already! I was still a teenager :P All of you guys are awesome, it's nice to have somewhere to geek out about horror for a month.
Well, not to nitpick, but if NEXT year is your 5th, and you start counting when you did your first, it really has only been 3 years! Must be why it doesn't seem like 5!
Old 11-02-13, 07:05 PM

Originally Posted by pacaway
Well, not to nitpick, but if NEXT year is your 5th, and you start counting when you did your first, it really has only been 3 years! Must be why it doesn't seem like 5!
Haha, I know, but it's still weird to think that only the last 4 October's have been Horror Challenge'd. On one hand it feels like it hasn't been 4 October's, and on the other hand it feels like this is regular tradition now and I can't remember having not done it :P
Old 11-02-13, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by malazar
I am working on some stats like total time watched, first time watches, breakdown of formats watched for my list, and ratings for each movie. Are there any other standard stats that I should be including?
Just the usual suspects - formats viewed, first time views, commentary listens and decades viewed. I gave up on average ratings and a few others due to it taking forever, although I'll include any stats you tally yourself under your name/ranking.

Originally Posted by nezumi
[*]Biggest Surprise: Witchery. Don't let The Hoff's participation in this film put you off. It turned out to be exactly what I was expecting to see this month, and I was happily grossed out by the film.
Same here. I held off on a Halloween viewing and caught it last night after learning of Joe D'Amato's involvement and it being from the director of Troll 3. Gotta love the expressionless Daphne Zuniga look-alike that literally struggled to get out every single slurred word she attempted to speak.
Old 11-02-13, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Chat, I see you mentioned some stats and such but I assume that is just for the stats junkies. Remind me what is it that you need or want to actually "finalize" a list.
Old 11-02-13, 09:54 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

finalized my list.
Old 11-02-13, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

The challenge may be over, but the horror continues at my house tonight. I've watched They Live, Halloween III and have just started Lifeforce.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Chat, I see you mentioned some stats and such but I assume that is just for the stats junkies. Remind me what is it that you need or want to actually "finalize" a list.
I think more than anything just make sure your list is numbered. First-time viewings are also good to include.
Old 11-03-13, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Since I can't easily stat my list without my laptop and it is numbered with first time views already included, I guess I'll say my list is finalized.
Old 11-03-13, 09:49 AM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

My list is finalized.
Old 11-03-13, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Is there any way to copy and paste a table created in Word into a post here and retain the spacing? The ways that I have tried to do has resulted in an unspaced mess. Anyone have suggestions?
Old 11-03-13, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
Is there any way to copy and paste a table created in Word into a post here and retain the spacing? The ways that I have tried to do has resulted in an unspaced mess. Anyone have suggestions?
Try exporting/saving the word document as an html file. Then open that file in a text editor (notepad unless you've got a better one). Copy the table, from
HTML Code:
<table>
to
HTML Code:
</table>
and then paste it into the forum editor. You may need to strip out the line returns so it's all one big line (so it will display in the thread without a big space above the table).
Old 11-03-13, 05:02 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Just the usual suspects - formats viewed, first time views, commentary listens and decades viewed. I gave up on average ratings and a few others due to it taking forever, although I'll include any stats you tally yourself under your name/ranking.
Thank you for the guidelines. I finalized my list today.
Old 11-03-13, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My list is finished. Thanks for another wonder year of spooky flicks!
Old 11-03-13, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks, coyoteblue! That's just what I needed. I'm going to have to play around a bit with it, but I should be able to get my list finalized in the next day or two.
Old 11-04-13, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Finalized.
Old 11-04-13, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

My list is finalized
Old 11-04-13, 10:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My list is finalized.
Old 11-04-13, 12:11 PM

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

I think my list is final.

I couldn't settle on an absolute Best and Worst and whatnot, so I've tried to separate everything by vague categories. These are in rough order, in my opinion, etc.

BEST FILMS WATCHED THIS YEAR (in rough order)
Repo!
Severence
Fido
Warm Bodies
Aah! Zombies!!
Sweeney Todd
Troll 2
ParaNorman
John Dies at the End
Scream
1-4

Standouts: Troll 2 is hilarious. Utterly awful, appallingly acted, but... mesmerising! And all the Screams are great. (I exempted the Buffy musical episode for not being a film. It would place very high up here.)

Best of the Rest (rough order)
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Jack Frost
The Addams Family
American Mary
Pontypool
Suck
Nightmare on Elm Street 4: The Dream Master
Halloweentown 1-2
The House That Dripped Blood
The House on Haunted Hill
Faust
Nosferatu
The Black Sleep
Student Bodies
The Flesh and the Fiends

Honourable Mention: Student Bodies tries far too hard, and can't quite live up to it's own attempt to be self-aware and parodic. However, the good bits outweigh the bad, and the attempt is worth a lot.

Better the Second Time:
The Addams Family
Sweeney Todd
Repo!
Buffy: Once More With Feeling
ParaNorman
Nosferatu

Enjoyed (no order)
The Monster Squad
Mystery of the Wax Museum
Sleepy Hollow
Psycho III
The Golem
Murder by Decree
The Evil Mind
Ginger Snaps
Subspecies
Scanners II
The Bay
The Cat and the Canary
The Man Who Laughs
Critters 1-4
Funny Games
In Their Skin
The Hollow
Grave Encounters
The Re-Animator
Succubus: Hell-Bent
ReVamped
Beetlejuice
The Vampire Diaries (TV)
The Caller

Overall not enjoyed
11-11-11
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
Don't Go to Sleep
Eyes of Fire
Killer Tongue
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
Lords of Salem
Maniac Cop 2
Bride of the Gorilla
Death Occurred Last Night
(1970)

NOT AS GOOD AS I'D HOPED/HEARD
Carrie
Cannibal!: The Musical
Trilogy of Terror
Grave Encounters
In Their Skin
Beetlejuice
The Caller
Black Sabbath
The Terror
The Re-Animator
The Lost Boys
The Town that Dreaded Sundown
Let's Scare Jessica to Death
The Devil's Carnival
Warning Shadows
The Driller Killer
The Hunchback of Notre Dame
(1923)
Ginger Snaps
Demoniac
Return of the Living Dead 3
(Spanish) Drácula
(1931)

CAVEAT: Some of these were still enjoyable, just not as enjoyable as I'd hoped/thought/heard. The best of them include Beetlejuice and The Re-Animator which are still pretty good; Ginger Snaps and Hunchback (1923) are a tad underneath them, and several of the others weren't terrible by any means. Just "not as good" as I'd hoped. Many may be better the next time, and I'm not opposed to watching any of these again...

NOT AS BAD AS I'D HEARD/READ
Bedazzled
An American Haunting
Children of the Corn IV
Scary Movie
Scary Movie 2
Bram Stoker's Dracula
976-EVIL II
Troll 2
Jekyll and Hyde
(1990)

Partial Explanation: Liz Hurley is fairly awful, but the Bedazzled remake isn't terrible. Some say Children of the Corn IV is the lesser of them, but as the only one I've seen it certainly isn't terrible. Mr Caine (et al.) reportedly don't much like Jekyll and Hyde (1990), but despite all the oddities and additions, it worked well. And despite Keanu's accent - which was neither as horrible nor as out-of-place as reported - Gary Oldman's Dracula was surprisingly well done.

Crazy (Good)
Student Bodies
John Dies at the End
Zombie Strippers

Crazy (Not)
Killer Tongue
Blood Diner

Worse the Second Time
The Pit and the Pendulum
Attack of the Puppet People

Thinking about it, I barely remember what happened in...
Trucks
Scared to Death
The Reef
Open Water
High Tension
The Vampire Bat (1933)
The Norliss Tapes
The Dunwich Horror
Pumpkinhead
Meeting by Midnight
Midnight Faces
Old 11-04-13, 01:17 PM

List is finalized
Old 11-04-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

My list is final.

Top Five First-Time Views
1. Dead Sushi-Hilarious satire on Japanese food snobbery. There's a gross parody of the raw egg scene from Tampopo. And who doesn't want a friend like Tamago-chan (AKA Eggy)?
2. Bad Milo- The answer to "What crawled up YOUR ass today"?"
3. Absentia-I'm glad I saw this blind because it went in a direction I did not expect.
4. John Dies at the End: Pure gonzo crazy
5. Ice Cream Man: You have to respect a movie that doesn't hold back on the gore.

Worst Five First-Time Views
1. Barricade: Waste of a good premise with a stupid ending
2. The Blood Beast Terror: Pure waste of Peter Cushing
3. The Apparition: Fail on every level: bad acting, writing and direction
4. The Horrible Sexy Vampire: Not horrible, not sexy
5. Devil's Playground: Tried to give me epilepsy

Best Revisit:
1. Stir of Echoes: A creepy film that draws the viewer into not only the horror plot, but the inner life of the protagonist

Last edited by Gobear; 11-05-13 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11-04-13, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Well, the ones I posted above (first time views, decades viewed, formats viewed and commentary listens) are the stats I provide a grand total for. All I'm saying is if you feel inclined to tabulate the totals of any of those you might have provided in your list yourself, that would help speed things up a bit. Other than that, just have your list ready by the 11/15 deadline.
Old 11-05-13, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 45 Likes on 26 Posts

I'd just like to add from experience, this is where the real work is and this is where we can show our appreciation for what Chad does. It would genuinely help Chad out the more participants can tally up their totals and other data.
Old 11-05-13, 02:33 AM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Finally finalized my list.

My top first time views:
1. Eyes Without a Face (1960)
2. Peeping Tom (1960)
3. Escape from Tomorrow (2013)
4. Demons (1985)
5. Halloween III: Season of the Witch (1982)

Worst:
1. Teenage Exorcist (1991)
2. Ghost Team One (2013)
3. Apartment 143 (2011)
4. The Other (1972)
5. Bordello of Blood (1996)

This was another great year, and it was really fun talking with everyone throughout the month, and in the months before planning!

Thanks again, Chad, for putting on such an amazing event!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.