Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 4

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-13, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Finished the challenge off with Jack the Reaper. Amateur hour, but I enjoyed it for some reason.

Thanks, Chad, for another great challenge.
Old 11-01-13, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I'm really unhappy that apparently after 131+ films, I saw nothing from any of the Producers. So no Checklist completion. I fell asleep during a late Hellraiser, so missed Soisson, and apparently it's different iterations of Scary Movie and Children of the Corn that were produced by people on that list. Unless I can turn up something in the next few hours..

Am I - and a thorough-ish scouring of IMDb - right in thinking that none of the subset films were produced by De Laurentiis or Soisson or Lewton...?

Last edited by ntnon; 11-01-13 at 06:02 AM.
Old 11-01-13, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,083 Likes on 657 Posts

Went to a small Halloween party where everyone's kids ran around trick or treating while all the parent drank beer and ate bad for you food. Got home late and the wife and I missed our annual watching of Halloween so I ended the challenge with no movies on Halloween. Kinda sucks but I feel I made up for it with the amount of movies I watched this year.
Old 11-01-13, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

Boy I fell short of even my pathetically modest goal this year. Watched a lot of first time views though.
Old 11-01-13, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Was exhausted last night, so was in bed by 8:30. So all I saw yesterday was an episode of Celebrity Ghost Stories on LMN. Thanks for a great challenge Chad. Not sure how to stat my list when I only have PS3 and ipod to get online.
Old 11-01-13, 08:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jason had a big night. He got to kill Freddy and carry around his severed head, and he also met a new zombie friend.

Old 11-01-13, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I wanted to finish strong yesterday, but instead I went out with some friends to a Halloween celebration at a local drag bar. Lots of fun costumes and bad lip-syncing. The bar seemed packed with college guys eager to go out half-dressed.

I hadn't really set a goal for myself. I wanted to get more things out of my unwatched pile, but alas, we cannot have everything.
Old 11-01-13, 09:24 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts

Thanks to wildcards I set a new personal best of 60 this year. I also completed the checklist for the first time ever, so I'm really proud of that. I'm moving tomorrow so I really thought my movie watching was going to suffer, but somehow it didn't.
Old 11-01-13, 09:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Wow. I had virtually ZERO trick-treaters this year. Is the "Child-obesity" law that much enforced now?
I probably had a little over 100 most of which came during a 15-20 minute window. The weird highlight of the night was an uncostumed group of people who looked older than me (34). That was kinda pathetic.

At any rate, I ended up finishing things off with Night of the Living Dead which brought my total to 109. That was somewhat better than I expected since I was figuring I would end up with 101 or something like that. I really started trying to get in more during the homestretch when I started feeling a bit of sadness that the month was ending.
Old 11-01-13, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Made it to 49, a big improvement over last year where I couldn't even get 30. I wasn't able to complete the expanded checklist. I struggled with the producer and make-up categories, which seemed to favor the classic horror movies from the 30s and 40s, which I just wasn't in the mood for this year. At least I was able to complete the theme night and subset film challenges. I will have a montage of my watched movies up tonight or tomorrow.
Old 11-01-13, 11:22 AM

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

I managed to hit 90 (short of my goal of 100) last night, finishing off with The Mummy's Curse (1944). I had planned on staying up late, despite work the next day, and watching one or two more classic Universals but I guess I just hit that wall other folks mentioned and figured 90 was a nice round number to finish with.

Before the mummy movie I also watched Halloween II (1981) and was surprised at how much I liked it. I think last time I watched it, it was right after the original Halloween, one of my absolute favorites, and so didn't seem all that good.

Anyway, I completed the Theme Nights and may have completed the basic checklist -- I'll have to figure that out as I finalize my list.

This was another amazing October thanks to all of you.
Old 11-01-13, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I finished up last night with Ghostwatch, the BBC production from 1992. It was my second viewing, and I found it just as great this time around. My final tally was 63 films, WAAAY up from last year but short of my personal best. One day I'll have a realistic goal, and I'll actually meet it. Still, I'm okay with 63.
Old 11-01-13, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

I finished up with 58 (my goal was 50), so I'm content. Last movie of the challenge was The Bowery Boys Meet the Monsters (1954), a good late period Bowery Boy's movie. Time to get working on my stats.
Old 11-01-13, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

I felt it necessary to finish up with the new Blu-ray of Halloween, so even though I was out having a few beers after work, I managed to get home and watch it, finishing just before midnight. That was all she wrote as far as staying awake went (I even dozed of during the movie and then had to skip back about 4 chapters), so that wrapped the month up for me. Made 65, which was great! I expected to average 1 a day and end up around 30, so I kicked on that modest goal!

The part that kills me is that I spend around $200 buying MORE movies for the month when I could have easily stuck with my unwatched pile. I watched quite a few on Netflix as well, so only knocked about 12 off the pile, while watching 23 newly purchased titles.

I too did not complete the cast/crew portions of the check list, but covered everything else. I missed 7 theme nights and only watched subset films that I owned, so that was only 4.

Watched a half dozen (entirely, or partially) on the iPad, which I've not done before. So I would have to call that a new medium for me. Can't bring myself to watch a movie on the iPod/iPhone though. Just doesn't seem right.

Watched lots of remakes and sequels, which was fun. Got through the Scream movies and a few Elm Streets and F13s I hadn't seen before, as well as the ones I had.

I'm satisfied, for sure, and am ready to change it up for the comedy challenge. I'm not going to go as hard at that one, but I will try to stay on theme for my choices for the month. I'll sit out the holiday challenge for a break before pouring it on for TV and then the Drive-In challenges.

Top pics for the month (1st time viewings only and in no particular order):
American Mary (love Katherine Isabelle)
Suck (turned out to be a lot of fun for a $3 Blu-ray!)
The Mist (wish I'd have watched it in B&W though)
2-Headed Shark Attack (I know, I know. I don't know why either. I think it was because Sharknado sucked so much)
Frankenstein's Army (little too 'in your face' with the POV though)
The Blob (1988) (a better remake than I was expecting)
Friday the 13th III in 3D (fun even wearing cardboard glasses)

Most Disappointing:
My Bloody Valentine 3D (cardboard glasses again)
Miss December (liked the main actress though)
Vipers (just sucked. can't remember why)

Last edited by pacaway; 11-01-13 at 12:09 PM.
Old 11-01-13, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
Wow. I had virtually ZERO trick-treaters this year. Is the "Child-obesity" law that much enforced now?
We had 4 and they were together. They'd no more than gotten off the porch and the bottom fell out soaking them all plus the parental unit guiding them around. We'd had rain/storms forecast for all day/night so most went to the business/church/private parties on Wednesday. Fortunately I'd only picked up a single, although large size, bag of candy (based on expectations from the weather) so there's not *too* much to eat. The grandkids will help grandma and me take care of it.

Originally Posted by malazar
I probably had a little over 100 most of which came during a 15-20 minute window. The weird highlight of the night was an uncostumed group of people who looked older than me (34). That was kinda pathetic.
I keep a bowl of candy that's a year or two old for just such visitors. The parents with a baby under a year old also get some of that.

Basically, to get *good* candy at my house you must be old enough to walk up to the door by yourself (unless physically unable for some reason) and no older than about 12 (although that one's a bit harder to judge so there's some slack cut unless you really look 15 or older).

Last edited by BobO'Link; 11-01-13 at 01:19 PM.
Old 11-01-13, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I actually did wake up sad this morning. Now comes the yearly question, do I save all of my unwatched horror until next Oct?

Originally Posted by Trevor
Same here with the off until Monday, so I'm trying for an all-nighter...
I didn't make it. 0200 rolled around and so did that freight train of sleep. Hit me hard. But made it to 121. Now I have a lot of list updating to do. It'll take me at least a day to bounce back and come up with some final thoughts and rankings.

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
I wanted to finish strong yesterday, but instead I went out with some friends to a Halloween celebration at a local drag bar. Lots of fun costumes and bad lip-syncing. The bar seemed packed with college guys eager to go out half-dressed.
Imposter! What's this going out for social occasions? I'll remember this for next year. Oh, wait, just re-read that you said "drag bar." Carry on.
Old 11-01-13, 01:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was going to end with Ernest Scared Stupid but realized I had a unopened copy of The Fearless Vampire Killers, which I've never seen, so I opened it instead. From the unopened pile, first time viewing, and counts for two challenges! It was a good end to the month. I'm ready for comedy!
Old 11-01-13, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
I actually did wake up sad this morning. Now comes the yearly question, do I save all of my unwatched horror until next Oct?
I'm glad I'm not the only one with such thoughts! I tend to think that at the end of every challenge.

I still have some horror titles I picked up over 2 years ago that I've been saving for October since they were first purchased and I *still* haven't watched them! I blame the checklists and participants comments as I'll almost always purchase new titles to either complete a checklist item or because several people were talking good about a film. This is the first year in a while that my unwatched horror pile didn't grow larger because of the challenge and it's mainly because I ignored the checklist/theme nights/etc. this time out. That's not to say I didn't purchase *any* new horror titles last month, because I did, but that I watched more from the unwatched pile than I purchased.
Old 11-01-13, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I got dragged into going to a Halloween block party last night and managed to get six in, which leaves my backlog a mile high. After squeezing in Stuart Gordon's wife suffering yet another grisly demise on screen and finishing up with my perennial favorite Halloween III afterwards, I called it a night and got a restful two hours sleep in. Looks like I'll end up around the 145 mark, and that apparently will be my lowest total since 2006. Still, there weren't that many bad apples in the bunch and I completed one of the lists, so all in all I'd declare it a rousing success.

BTW, whoever came up with the idea for the comedy challenge after this one is a bloody genius.
Old 11-01-13, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I finsihed up last night with The Wolf Man. I love that movie and Chaney's performance in it. I'll be posting the final thoughts/wrap up on my blog in a bit for anyone that is interested.
Old 11-01-13, 01:33 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

I, too, am pondering this question. There is so much I still need to see, and I am still in the mood for horror, but I think I'll at least take a break for a bit.

I ended up staying up later than I have before on Halloween for this challenge, and finished up with Dracula on BD. Strangely, even though I had seen it a ton, it really was like seeing it for the first time. Or, that could be because I was very tired. Still really enjoyed it and it was the perfect way to cap the challenge!

Now, to update my checklist...
Old 11-01-13, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I'm glad I'm not the only one with such thoughts! I tend to think that at the end of every challenge.

I still have some horror titles I picked up over 2 years ago that I've been saving for October since they were first purchased and I *still* haven't watched them! I blame the checklists and participants comments as I'll almost always purchase new titles to either complete a checklist item or because several people were talking good about a film. This is the first year in a while that my unwatched horror pile didn't grow larger because of the challenge and it's mainly because I ignored the checklist/theme nights/etc. this time out. That's not to say I didn't purchase *any* new horror titles last month, because I did, but that I watched more from the unwatched pile than I purchased.
That was really my main goal for this challenge -- to finally knock off the unwatched material I have. I accomplished the goal...sort of. I did manage to watch every horror title off my DVR and every unwatched horror BD, but didn't quite get to a small stack of DVDs (probably 15 or so). I'm content to save those for next October with confidence I can finish everything then. This, of course, depends on how much is added to it during the next 11 months.
Old 11-01-13, 02:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I would have liked to have gotten more Universal classics in, but at least I got one in. Always have this month for Frankenhooker too.
Old 11-01-13, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

I ask myself the same question. On the one hand, I love horror movies and have trouble holding off on watching them for 11 months. On the other, I wish I had not watched so many horror flicks this past year and was able to go in fresh for movies like Grave Encounters and Pontypool for the challenge. There are a good dozen movies I wanted to watch for the challenge but I just couldn't fit them in, so I'm not sure what to do about them.
Old 11-01-13, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Finished last night with The Dorm That Dripped Blood as a first-time watch. Slept long and hard this morning and am happy to be off work until Monday. 115 films, which I think is my 2nd best effort following last year. Not bad, but I'm ready to return to the light of day.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.