Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-13, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I'm watched Diecovery last night and one of the things that kept going through my mind was why are so many people using a battle axe to dig a hole with? Whenever anyone over the 25 years the movie takes place wants to dig, they always go for the axe on the wall and they don't even dig with it. They just sit there chopping the dirt. The deepest hole any of them ever made by chopping at the dirt was about a foot deep.

It wasn't a haunted axe, nobody was killed with it, it was just the thing that everyone went for when it came time to make a pathetic attempt at digging.
Old 10-26-13, 01:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

I'll have 100 movies by the end of the weekend. Going over my list I've noticed that I haven't really gotten into the older films this time around. I just grab whatever seems to get my attention and watch .
Probably a bit late to start organizing anything at his point. Have roughly 40 - 50% first time views , so that's something anyway.
Old 10-26-13, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I've just finished No. 80. I'm really nervous about hitting 100 this year. It likely will be pretty close. I'm also trying to finish up the checklist. I think I should be good as long as I watch a few of the titles I already have planned. I haven't even looked at the ratings section, but I would guess I've watched enough of those without trying. We'll see.

I wish I could devote all my weekend time to horror, but the DVR is nearly completely full with the TV shows I've been neglecting all month. So what I'm doing is watching a horror title and then watching a TV show before going back to horror. I wish I didn't have to do that, but I only have 10% space open. Yikes!

As far as wildcards go, can I include the work event I have to cover on Halloween? It's called Boo at the Zoo. We are going to be dressed up and passing out candy for trick-or-treaters at the zoo. I figured it might get a pass since it is Halloween related.

Originally Posted by pacaway
Well, of course "Live" is a relative term. It is beamed in via satellite from Nashville. Still, pretty cool. Last month was Starship Troopers but the feed cut out at about the 4/5ths mark of the movie. They gave us each 2 free movie passes. This month went without a hitch though.

And in November... Santa Claus vs the Martians!
That must have been your theater. No problems when I went to Starship Troopers.

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I don't get the Rifftrax doing good movies like Night Of The Living Dead. It just doesn't make sense to me.
But have you seen a good movie get the Rifftrax treatment? It can often be really hilarious and can provide greater replay value for it. Some of my favorite Rifftrax are for movies that I love. Night of the Living Dead was great, as are the tracks for Halloween, Drag Me to Hell, The Sixth Sense.
Old 10-26-13, 01:39 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
I'm actually working Monday and Tuesday before being off again on Wednesday. I'm supposed to work Thursday night. *coughcough*
Every January, when our schedule for the year gets printed (it's a set biweekly rotation, so we actually know our schedule years in advance), I put in for vacation for Halloween and a few other random days in October.
Old 10-26-13, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Every January, when our schedule for the year gets printed (it's a set biweekly rotation, so we actually know our schedule years in advance), I put in for vacation for Halloween and a few other random days in October.
I always make sure to put in for at least 1 vacation week in October. Next year, I'm seriously thinking about using up 2. I have plenty of sick time left, so if I'm feeling under the weather on Thursday, I can just call out and not worry about losing the pay.
Old 10-26-13, 02:45 PM

Marcia Wallace just passed away.

I always loved her in The Bob Newhart Show and on the old game shows. She doesn't have much in the horror genre; the film My Mom is a Werewolf is hard to find, and an old Ray Bradbury Theater episode maybe; but there's always the Treehouse of Terror episodes of The Simpsons.
Old 10-26-13, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

^R.I.P.

I'll be crossing 100 by Monday... who else is within 10 or already there?
I hit triple digits on Wednesday. Just realized this after updating the list last night for the first time in almost 2 weeks.

Originally Posted by malazar
Is today's theme night's basic requirement to watch one film from a franchise and a sequel or to watch a marathon with a bunch of sequels? I am guessing the former and the marathon of the damned refers to just marathoning films all day since it is the last Saturday of the challenge, but just thought I should check since this is my first time and I am trying to complete all the theme nights.
The former - just one sequel or icon (actor or character). I mentioned it earlier (can't find the post), but I combined the "marathon of the damned" with an actual theme for the first time. In the past it was just 'watch whatever', which it still says and is probably causing the confusion.

Originally Posted by shadokitty
Broke into my season 2 set of Tales From the Crypt that I bought last year this morning. Hadn't seen the show in years and forgot how good it was.
Felt the same way after revisiting Hammer House of Horror.

Originally Posted by clckworang
As far as wildcards go, can I include the work event I have to cover on Halloween? It's called Boo at the Zoo. We are going to be dressed up and passing out candy for trick-or-treaters at the zoo. I figured it might get a pass since it is Halloween related.
Sure.

Originally Posted by 3onameathook
I'll have 100 movies by the end of the weekend. Going over my list I've noticed that I haven't really gotten into the older films this time around. I just grab whatever seems to get my attention and watch .
Probably a bit late to start organizing anything at his point. Have roughly 40 - 50% first time views , so that's something anyway.
I've had the same problem the last two challenges. I have this weird obsession with reaching 100 first time views and that usually involves watching primarily newer films. Need to break out the Universal sets next week.
Old 10-26-13, 03:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
The former - just one sequel or icon (actor or character). I mentioned it earlier (can't find the post), but I combined the "marathon of the damned" with an actual theme for the first time. In the past it was just 'watch whatever', which it still says and is probably causing the confusion.
Thanks! It is worded okay. I think I was just reading too much into it.
Old 10-26-13, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 75 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by mrcellophane
Sorry for the rant. I reread, and I sounded a bit prickish...
Oh, piffle. No worries at all, and it didn't read that way to me at all.

...and should probably point out that I am definitely in the minority in my circle of friends and family. Most people I know love the film, even those who love the stage play/cast recordings.
Interesting - I was under the impression that I was in the minority! I know few enough people familiar with the stage version to have any clue what 'they' (as a non-existent homogenous mass!) think, but the musical fans I know that have even seen it have not been too fond. Although, I suppose that probably has as much to do with the horror and blood and themes as anything else.

Spoiler:
This is one of the only films that I felt really upset by and is the victim of one of two film-centric rants that I have (the other being Christopher Nolan films).
All of them..? - I can rant with the best of them about some of them (or usually parts of some), but I've enjoyed several of his films... not that it matters a bit!

Notes in spoiler so you can skip my bitching!
Wouldn't dream of it!

I suppose my criticism stems from Depp's emo characterization. He's morose and borders on despondent for most of the film. I understand this due to the character's situation and history; however, I do not understand why anyone would let this creepy guy anywhere near them with a razor blade...
Hah! Well, quite. Mind you, that's my opinion of the so-called - even at the time? - CUT THROAT razors in general...! I mean, really... anytime you see one, someone gets seriously injured or dies. The idea of trusting that likely injury to a complete stranger - even one you see on a regular basis to do just that - really gets under my skin. But, different time; different standards.

I don't see him as "emo" per se - but then, it's not a term I've ever put the effort into fully understanding; I think I was either just too old and/or growing up in the UK when it became a descriptive term, and the only association I now have is Spider-man 3... which doesn't jibe for me with a ludicrously angry/post-depressed and violent psychopath - as you say, it seems to me to come from a clearly traceable life story.

The original character is scary because he is jovial at times and once he has a purpose, he seems quite happy and motivated. There is a clear distinction between his public and private personas. If you didn't know him personally, you would think him a bit odd, but harmless.
I thought there were brief snatches of that - really, the only times I remember him in public he was interacting with the objects of his hate or winding up Baron-Cohen..! And that was witty disdain and projected nonchalence... I could easily see him being seen as just "a bit odd" with a trailing ellipsis to not be saying "but harmless," but not not saying it.

Yes, that's tortuous writing. Sorry!

Carter is good as Lovett, but she doesn't have the exuberance of Lansbury in the original.
Obviously I can't speak to that at all. I will say - and leave myself open to criticism! - that I am underwhelmed with Ms. Lansbury's singing in Disney's Beauty and the Beast every time I hear it, however.

(Lansbury also appears much older and because of this there is a nagging question of whether is she going a bit senile or if she was the kid who dissected her schoolmates' pets. Also, her Lovett seems almost incestuous in a way since she acts more like a mother to Todd at points.)
I didn't see "mother" - I saw maybe "nag". And since she's clearly infatuated and manipulative, I see prospective lover as far more believable than surrogate mother.

Does Lansbury-esque Lovett try to seduce Todd? Because that might be a bit weird..

Carter is much more subdued which fits the tone of the film. Burton is really good at imbuing his films with an overriding ennui that is stylistic but sometimes does nothing for the story.
Yes, it's certainly the "black and white" "grim 'n' gritty" style - but it suits it thoroughly. I watched the extras last year (or thereabouts), and I think they talk about making it either akin to a silent (probably not), an early black&white or specifically a Universal Monster film. And, by and large, I think they did a good job at that. Whichever it was..!

All joy and most of the humor was sucked out of the film.
Rubbish! (Well, again, a qualified dismissal since I can't compare.) I'm not sure what "joy" there could be, but I certainly see enjoyment - particularly during the "fop, finest in the shop" song - within the film, and clear enjoyment from the cast. And the humour was all the way through - perhaps (and I write this a lot, without any real justification ) a peculiarly-British sense of humour, but it's definitely a great black comedy. To me, leastways.

If the trailers are to be believed, I guess so he could stuff it all into Dark Shadows (which I didn't see since I love the source material and Sweeney and Charlie and the Chocolate Factory sorta soured me on Burton).
I have the Great Big Box of Shadows sitting unwatched in the other room.. ...it was meant to be the lions share of this challenge, but I got caught up in the subset and everything else. Again. So without that frame of reference, I thought Dark Shadows was 'alright'. But I watched it under inopportune conditions, so I don't think any more than that at the moment. Alice Cooper was in it, though! Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was not Willy Wonka's.. and added backstory. That aside, I enjoyed it a lot. It missed Gene Wilder, and the songs weren't quite as good; the backstory was unnecessary but not awful and had Christopher Lee in it. But it was close - closer, I think - to the book, and had some great moments both in comparison to both WW and Dahl and apart from them.

I will say that the film is visually stunning. The "By the Sea" sequence is one of the most gorgeous stagings of song in a modern musical. And the sets and costumes are just inspired.
First time round, that - seaside - baffled me. This time, I both appreciated it and understood it.

So there you go, ntnon. More information than you ever needed to know!
Barely possible! Nice to have such discussions.
Old 10-26-13, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
Last night I watched Full Eclipse on VHS... I had to laugh at the name of the main villain whose last name is Garou... I had to chuckle when I saw the name in big bold letters on his office door.
Oh, dear...!

That's something that takes me out of some films: the "fake" names people use that are so ludicrously close to the original that you have to wonder why no-one notices. The proliferation of ALUCARDs wearing opera capes, for instance, or the far-too-close anagrams or using-the-same-letters...

Even the "I'm Mr... (confused pause) Smith"s of the film and TV world bother me sometimes. Why doesn't anyone challenge or notice?!
Old 10-26-13, 03:37 PM

^R.I.P.
Maybe we already do this, but one theme day a year covering all the genre actors/creators who passed in the past year might be nice for all of the Challenges.
I hit triple digits on Wednesday. Just realized this after updating the list last night for the first time in almost 2 weeks.
I'm pretty sure I hit it a few days ago too. I just have a lot of TV and shorts viewing and don't feel mathy.
Wait, so do I need to Psycho AND Psycho 3 (or any franchise), or is just a sequel enough? I actually watched 3 and 4.
Felt the same way after revisiting Hammer House of Horror.
I have way too many seasons of Horror shows to watch. I did Walking Dead this year.
Sure.
I think the stress of dealing with my tween trick or treating should count as at least 1.
I've had the same problem the last two challenges. I have this weird obsession with reaching 100 first time views and that usually involves watching primarily newer films. Need to break out the Universal sets next week.
I sometimes get that way, or too focused on one of my checklists, and always end up regretting whatever I left 'on the table'. Too much to watch, too few days in the month.
Old 10-26-13, 04:09 PM

Great acting on display in the first ten minutes of Troll 2. But the winner is clearly the random word stresses* in: "..and I don't believe in group SEX!"

"Joshua, start singing!" (though the family singing rounds off-key was oddly accurate...)

"Joshua is not a little shit, he's just very sensitive."

*Although, on reflection, now I'm reminded of high school teenage girls and their random speech inflections... maybe it's great acting..!

Last edited by ntnon; 10-26-13 at 04:35 PM.
Old 10-26-13, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I'm just doing a marathon of sequels today.
Old 10-26-13, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I sometimes get that way, or too focused on one of my checklists, and always end up regretting whatever I left 'on the table'. Too much to watch, too few days in the month.
I'm already trying to figure out how to squeeze more stuff in. Just too much stuff that I want to watch and not enough time to actually do so.
Old 10-26-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
(On the subject of sequels) Out of curiosity, I felt like checking what (U.S.) TV channels are going to be showing this week. It sure is strange to see the TV-rights for franchises scattered all over the place.

Friday The 13th-Parts 1 & 2 are only on HBO. III-X are on AMC, as well as the remake.

Nightmare/Elm Street-Part 1's on Spike. 2-5 & FVJ are on SyFy.

From Dusk til Dawn-Part 1's on Cinemax. 2 & 3 are on Showtime.

Halloween-I think AMC shows all of them. Rob Zombie's versions are on Spike.

In previous challenges, I remembered Hellraiser (Part 1) was on Encore. A bunch of the latter sequels were elsewhere (Showtime networks, I think) Same for the Child's Play movies.

Quite a shame to see that TNT, TBS and USA don't even bother with movies anymore.
Old 10-26-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I think this is the first year I've participated that I won't finish the checklist requirements. I'm okay with it I got through more of my unseen pile than I would have if I focused on the checklist and that was the important thing to me.
Old 10-26-13, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
This is what I'm working through; and mostly loving it.
Old 10-26-13, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

For anyone who's procrastinated on getting the Halloween 35th Ann Blu-ray Digibook like me, I'd buy it soon. Many stores have already started carrying the regular keepcase; at least that's been my experience. Picked up the one of the last remaining copies at Best Buy.

Wait, so do I need to Psycho AND Psycho 3 (or any franchise), or is just a sequel enough? I actually watched 3 and 4.
Just the sequel's enough.
Old 10-26-13, 07:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I think this is the first year I've participated that I won't finish the checklist requirements. I'm okay with it I got through more of my unseen pile than I would have if I focused on the checklist and that was the important thing to me.
I did the same. The last couple years I pooped out the checklist first but this year I'm just going alphabetically off my shelves. Started with Bigfoot and I plan on hitting the letter E before the end of the challenge. Right now I'm knee deep in Doom.
Old 10-26-13, 08:15 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

For anyone who's procrastinated on getting the Halloween 35th Ann Blu-ray Digibook like me, I'd buy it soon. Many stores have already started carrying the regular keepcase; at least that's been my experience. Picked up the one of the last remaining copies at Best Buy.
Yeah, it has actually gone OOP, so whatever is out there now will be it.

Also, Target will have it on sale tomorrow for $14.99, if you can find it. I think it's $16.99 there now.
Old 10-26-13, 08:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So hold up, you just have to watch a sequel of a franchise/series? So would Leprechaun 2-XX be fine? I'm planning on watching 2/3 tonight.
Old 10-26-13, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Yeah, it has actually gone OOP, so whatever is out there now will be it.

Also, Target will have it on sale tomorrow for $14.99, if you can find it. I think it's $16.99 there now.
I was at Target yesterday, but had left my wallet at home. I had some Target giftcards in the car, but was $1.57 short to buy the Scream BDs that were on sale and the Halloween digibook. If the sale had started I wouldn't have had to leave the digibook there.
Old 10-26-13, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 173 Likes on 121 Posts

I had a couple "Hey, it's Brad Dourif!" moments today with viewings of Critters 4 and Eyes of Laura Mars.
Old 10-26-13, 10:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My Mom is a Werewolf is hard to find
My Mom's a Werewolf is available as part of this set, but I can't in good conscience recommend that anybody buy it exclusively for that movie. As fun as it is seeing John Saxon ham it up, the movie uses up its goodwill awfully quick.
Old 10-26-13, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

I haven't watched it in a couple of years, but I'm just starting Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon. While it only has one movie, I think the way it handles its subject matter is pretty appropriate for today's theme.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.