Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-13, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Burned out on horror movies, so decided to approach the challenge from a different angle. Stuff like tv shows and Three Stooges. Started today with an ep of the Witchblade anime.
Old 10-18-13, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 9th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/olEbwhWDYwM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 10-18-13, 11:28 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Last night I cracked open Dead Sushi, a completely gonzo Japanese horror comedy I blind-bought during a Best Buy U&S in the spring. (A moment of silence please for the late, lamented U&S). Dead Sushi rivals Hausu in completely over-the-top weirdness, like flying zombie sushi with fangs that also sing. The basic plot: a young woman is expert in martial arts but utterly hopeless at following the exacting kitchen standards of her father, a traditional sushi chef. She runs away and finds a hostess job at a ryokan, where a disgraced evil scientist unleashes a virus that turns sushi into animated morsels of death. It's got elements of The Evil Dead mixed with Tampopo and Yojimbo. One of the viewing highlights for me this month.
Old 10-18-13, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 60 Likes on 44 Posts

What's U&S?
Old 10-18-13, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Last night I cracked open Dead Sushi, a completely gonzo Japanese horror comedy I blind-bought during a Best Buy U&S in the spring. (A moment of silence please for the late, lamented U&S). Dead Sushi rivals Hausu in completely over-the-top weirdness, like flying zombie sushi with fangs that also sing. The basic plot: a young woman is expert in martial arts but utterly hopeless at following the exacting kitchen standards of her father, a traditional sushi chef. She runs away and finds a hostess job at a ryokan, where a disgraced evil scientist unleashes a virus that turns sushi into animated morsels of death. It's got elements of The Evil Dead mixed with Tampopo and Yojimbo. One of the viewing highlights for me this month.
Dead Sushi is awesome. I want an eggy friend
Old 10-18-13, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

First 8 days... I averaged 6 movies a day, last 10 only three... planning a halloween party and a new revolving shift have eaten into it.
Old 10-18-13, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by pacaway
What's U&S?
Upgrade and Save - trade in a DVD and get a $5 credit towards purchase of a Blu-ray release. Trade in did not have to be the same title as was purchased with the credit.
Old 10-18-13, 01:03 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post

And with The Vampire Bat, I have completed the checklist! And I should hit 100 movies sometime tomorrow. Which I will celebrate by actually leaving the house, going to the bar, drinking way too much and having a massive hangover on Sunday (which is a horror unto itself).

I will then spend the rest of the month working my way through my IMDB watchlist full of over 250 horror movies that I would love to make a dent in.
Old 10-18-13, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

To be on track to make the hundred you want to be at 58 movies by the end of the day.
Old 10-18-13, 01:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PCBreakdown
And with The Vampire Bat, I have completed the checklist! And I should hit 100 movies sometime tomorrow. Which I will celebrate by actually leaving the house, going to the bar, drinking way too much and having a massive hangover on Sunday (which is a horror unto itself).

I will then spend the rest of the month working my way through my IMDB watchlist full of over 250 horror movies that I would love to make a dent in.
I completed the checklist a couple days ago I think (the required minimums, that is), but I'm trying to complete it entirely - except for the commentary thing, which kind of annoys me as a checklist item. I want to be at 98-ish by the end of today, so should get to 100 tomorrow.

I was given an 11pm-5am shift on Sat-Sun, which means I probably won't be sleeping this weekend, so I am going to stay up as late as possible tonight so will be doing so by watching horror movies. And Sunday will be spent keeping myself awake by watching lots of horror movies too :P
Old 10-18-13, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Caught I Saw What You Did for yesterday's theme, and like many William Castle films, it's very innocent and combined with the music used it felt like an extended episode of a 1950's sitcom with elements of horror thrown in for good measure, but the formula somehow works.

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
Wanted to watch Hellraiser last night on Netflix and they are streaming a 4:3 VHS quality version! What the hell? Guess any self respecting horror fan like myself should own this movie but I was hoping for a BD boxset one day (of at least the first three together).

I may wait until next year to do my Hellraiser marathon now.
Had the same problem with Deadly Blessing. I went ahead and stuck with it as a 'try before you buy' watch to see if the Scream Factory Blu-ray was worth picking up.

And while on the subject, Dr. Orloff's Monster is the heavily censored version.

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
A little monster themed get going music for the morning....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Snuwucn9dQY
Thanks. I needed something to wake me up after catching The Thirsty Dead this morning.
Old 10-18-13, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Last night I watched the Buffy episode "Hush" and thought I might listen to it in the background today at work. Then I realized what a bad idea that was
Spoiler:
because the main plot point is the characters losing their voices.

Watching Cabin in the Woods instead. Damn, Amy Acher is cute.
Old 10-18-13, 04:08 PM

Man, I really selected a bad bunch of films for today. The Suckling and Barn of the Blood Llama so far and I'm in the middle of Night of the Lepus.
Old 10-18-13, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
First 8 days... I averaged 6 movies a day, last 10 only three... planning a halloween party and a new revolving shift have eaten into it.
And I will be the exact opposite. I've been averaging 3 or 4 a day, with the exception of my one day off each week. After 11am on Sunday, I'm on vacation and will start averaging 6 or 7 daily. From here on out, I actually only have 4 work days left this month. I can live with that.
Old 10-18-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by mightysparks
Man, I really selected a bad bunch of films for today. The Suckling and Barn of the Blood Llama so far and I'm in the middle of Night of the Lepus.
But the titles make them sound so good

Lepus is one of my favorite bad horror movies. Everyone plays it so earnestly ... then those slo-mo bunnies start hopping over miniature sets I keep waiting for the police to deliver the following announcement around me, but it has yet to come :

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/iKipF7WrGgk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I love how everyone just honks their horns and goes along with it. You know some of them are high in their cars and thinking "Dude! Best ... weed ...ever!!!"
Old 10-18-13, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

I'm in the final stretch in the Universal Horror films. Had a fun night last night with It Came from Outer Space (1953), Abbott and Costello Meet Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde (1953), and The Creature from the Black Lagoon (1954). Today started with This Island Earth (1955) which is more SF than Horror but still a farily good entry in the 50s films from Universal. Up next is Abbott and Costello Meet the Mummy (1955) for the last of the A&C Horror/Comedy films which will be followed by the first Creature from the Black Lagoon sequel, Revenge of the Creature (1955). It's going to be a fun night! I should complete the series sometime tomorrow as there'll be only 6 or 7 films left depending on what I watch tonight.
Old 10-18-13, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Does anyone have any good "erotic horror" recommendations for today? I guess I'll go for some Franco or Rollin films.
Old 10-18-13, 04:54 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Just dropped off my daughter for camp, and wife at work until midnight, so I guess that gives me six hours to take advantage of the TV to myself and the theme night. What is everyone else watching for the erotic horror?
Old 10-18-13, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Just dropped off my daughter for camp, and wife at work until midnight, so I guess that gives me six hours to take advantage of the TV to myself and the theme night. What is everyone else watching for the erotic horror?
I watched The Vampire Lovers early this morning, and I plan to tackle one of David DeCoteau's horror movies where none of the hot boys can afford shirts on Netflix after work. I might watch The Hunger, too. Deneuve and Sarandon, yowza! (and this is from a gay dude)
Old 10-18-13, 05:08 PM

Urgh, I didn't realise the theme nights had been swapped around and I thought it was psychotronic today Unless I can count Barn of the Blood Llama as being erotic.. There was some llama loving?
Old 10-18-13, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
Well, I'm going to obviously watch Return of the Living Dead III, as it's the subset pick, and if I can make time, one or two of the following:

Attack Girls Swim Team Vs. the Undead
Vampyres
Trouble Every Day
Old 10-18-13, 05:18 PM

I searched for the killer bat picture, Nightwing, on Youtube a few weeks back, but came up empty. Thus, I was pleasantly surprised to see it airing on Sony HD a few days back. I found it to be better than it gets credit for with it's blend of bat attacks and Indian mysticism, as well as it's look into life on reservations. The first attack scene winds up being pretty cheesy, but the majority of the film maintains a serious tone that works. Beautiful location photography and a nice Henry Mancini score are bonuses. Would make a good double-feature with Frankenheimer's Prophecy.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Does anyone have any good "erotic horror" recommendations for today? I guess I'll go for some Franco or Rollin films.
The Blood Spattered Bride and Mary, Mary, Bloody Mary are two of my favorites.
Old 10-18-13, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

Blood for Dracula and Flesh for Frankenstein are fun erotic horror flicks from the 70s starring Udo Kier. They also count for the Criterion genre on the expanded checklist. They are both available to stream on Netflix.
Old 10-18-13, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I mentioned in today's subset thread that I had hoped that my disc for ROTLD:III would've arrived today, but it looks like Columbus Day slowed the shipping down
In other "Bummer" news, I forgot to update my netflix-queue yesterday and now I got a Guy Maddin double-feature on it's way (Along with my recent viewing of Escape From Tomorrow, it looks like I'll continue to have a weird weekend)

Not sure how erotic it will be, but it looks like Blood Sabbath will be my pick for today's theme.

Edit-Oh, thanks for the recommendation for MMBM, J. Farley! Always wanted to see that one. Looks like that'll be the pick.
Old 10-18-13, 05:39 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I mentioned in today's subset thread that I had hoped that my disc for ROTLD:III would've arrived today, but it looks like Columbus Day slowed the shipping down
In other "Bummer" news, I forgot to update my netflix-queue yesterday and now I got a Guy Maddin double-feature on it's way (Along with my recent viewing of Escape From Tomorrow, it looks like I'll continue to have a weird weekend)

Not sure how erotic it will be, but it looks like Blood Sabbath will be my pick for today's theme.

Edit-Oh, thanks for the recommendation for MMBM, J. Farley! Always wanted to see that one. Looks like that'll be the pick.
speaking of 'Escape' despite some bad reviews this is still playing a couple of times a day during the next week over at the AFI Silver - since I'd rather not pay VOD fees, I'm more than happy to trek out there and use my MoviePass card.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.