Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-12, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 144 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

I love this challenge and it's always fun to read folks opinions of the films they're watching. Thanks to The Monkees for keeping us all in line.
Old 02-27-12, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I planned to watch 75 but only made it to 55. More importantly, I watched more first-time movies than repeats. I love this challenge. Already looking forward to it again next year!
Old 02-27-12, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

As usual, a bunch of 1st-time viewings for me.

Favorites:
The Diary of Anne Frank
Drive
Friendly Persuasion
(Although it could've been a half-hour shorter)
Revanche
State Fair
(Not a tremendously great film, but this sure stuck with me long after I watched it, for some reason)
The Pirate
Old 02-27-12, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I totally failed in this challenge this year . This is usually one of my favorite challenges of the year, but I just had too many things going on and finished with only 15. Still had fun with what I watched, just wish I could have gotten in more. Hopefully, my work load will lighten a bit and I'll be able to do better in the action/adventure/crime challenge.
Old 03-03-12, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I still have a few films to add to my list over the weekend. But it wasn't a great showing overall. I tend to perform better in B movie related challenges.
Old 03-04-12, 10:18 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I love how so many of us are participating and even active in the discussions even though we aren't making the time to watch tons of films. The massive numbers some people get in some Challenges scared me away slightly at first, but I'm glad to see that doesn't appear to be happening much.
Originally Posted by shadokitty
Started watching the remake of True Grit, but turned it off, as I didn't think it was as good as the original with John Wayne.
Meant to watch that one that Challenge, but I guess it would work for this month too.
Originally Posted by Dimension X
This one's never been one of my busy challenges, but somehow I managed not to beat my pitiful total from last year (3 films watched). Still, I enjoyed what I watched (all two items), and I had a 50% FTV rate, so it wasn't a total loss.
Love how some us of keep stats and such, even with such tiny numbers!

How is your sig working for you? I notice that you and several others are adding all of your years list links into it, but I'm running into the 2000 character signature limit. You or anyone else run into that yet?
Originally Posted by lisadoris
I love this challenge and it's always fun to read folks opinions of the films they're watching. Thanks to The Monkees for keeping us all in line.
I love reading what people write too, although I rarely return the favor and write much about the films I see. I always try to get my formatting and list down first, thinking that I'll go back to my list later and write actual comments, but it rarely seems to work out.
Old 03-04-12, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
The massive numbers some people get in some Challenges scared me away slightly at first, but I'm glad to see that doesn't appear to be happening much.
Says the guy who used to watch massive numbers of films during some of the Challenges.

How is your sig working for you? I notice that you and several others are adding all of your years list links into it, but I'm running into the 2000 character signature limit. You or anyone else run into that yet?
I ran into the 2000 character limit a long time ago. Abbreviations took care of it the first couple of times. Then I pared down the code in the links. Soon I'm going to have to drop all but the most recent links though (I haven't even tried to add the current Challenge yet, so it may be really soon).

Edit: Just added the current Challenge to my sig, so I guess I'm okay for another month.

Last edited by Dimension X; 03-04-12 at 10:49 AM.
Old 03-04-12, 11:30 AM

Says the guy who used to watch massive numbers of films during some of the Challenges.
That wasn't me. That was some sort of impostor. Or is that this me....?
I ran into the 2000 character limit a long time ago. Abbreviations took care of it the first couple of times. Then I pared down the code in the links. Soon I'm going to have to drop all but the most recent links though (I haven't even tried to add the current Challenge yet, so it may be really soon).
Educate me please. Tinyurl?
Edit: Just added the current Challenge to my sig, so I guess I'm okay for another month.
You skipped the Leap Day Challenge!
Old 03-04-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

Educate me please.
All I've done is throw out some unnecessary characters (You may have already done what I've done). There's probably more, and better, ways to go about it.

If you use the "insert link" button, you get this:
[*URL="http://forum.dvdtalk.com/11139321-post333.html"]link[/URL] (link)
You can drop the quotes and "http://" to get this:
[*URL=forum.dvdtalk.com/11139321-post333.html]link[/URL] (link)

Not a big reduction (9 characters, or 7 if you typed it without quotes to begin with), but with thirty-some links, it adds up.

Tinyurl?
I don't think my links are long enough to benefit from Tinyurl, but I haven't tried it, so I'm probably wrong.

You skipped the Leap Day Challenge!
I knew it wouldn't fit in my sig.
Old 03-04-12, 12:39 PM

Thanks DX, good stuff! No, I hadn't used that tip yet. I may not use it though, as I'm never going to be able to fit them all in anyway. Looks like you can fit 34 links. Maybe I can keep all of my other links and then 24 Challenges, the most recent 2 of each.

Speaking of multiple Challenges, I wonder if anyone here has done every single one?

Sorry for the off topic stuff. But maybe we'll someday have the Academy Awards of DVDTalkers.....