Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-12, 09:06 AM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Re: The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Watched the original Sabrina for the 1st time, what a delightful film. And it was quite apropos considering Bogie's marriage to Bacall.
Old 02-24-12, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad

Also, Paul Muni is possibly the most underrated actor ever.
In his heyday, he was considered the most overrated actor ever.
Old 02-24-12, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

This was my first time in this challenge and I did hit my goal of 20... but more inportantly I got a chance to watch movies that are considered classics that I never saw before.

"On the Waterfront"
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
"Dr. Strangelove"
"in the Heat of the Night"
"One flew over the Cukoo's Nest"
"The Gold Rush"
"All Quiet on the Western Front"
Old 02-24-12, 10:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wrapped up my checklist and goal of 20 new watches with Quiz Show last night.
Old 02-24-12, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Reached 17 last night. Only 3 more to go to hit my personal goal of 20 for the Challenge. Wish more of them had been first time views.
Old 02-24-12, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

Originally Posted by Darkgod
This was my first time in this challenge and I did hit my goal of 20... but more inportantly I got a chance to watch movies that are considered classics that I never saw before.

"On the Waterfront"
"Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid"
"Dr. Strangelove"
"in the Heat of the Night"
"One flew over the Cukoo's Nest"
"The Gold Rush"
"All Quiet on the Western Front"
Very nice! I'd like to add Waterfront to my first-time views but won't have time to fit it in.
Old 02-24-12, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Planning to watch The Green Mile tonight. That will be another first time view for me. Then I plan to revisit the original True Grit, a movie I haven't seen in years.
Old 02-25-12, 12:38 PM

Watching The Hustler, can't believe I've owned The Color of Money all these years and have never seen the The Hustler.
Old 02-25-12, 03:03 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Deciding to call it quits for this year's challenge. Personal high of 30 features and 13 shorts. I usually watch a ton more shorts.

Between finishing with "Hugo" last night (got a chance to watch all nine 2012 Best Picture nominees within the challenge!) and cleaning and preparing for tomorrow's festivities (with a break tonight for the Spirit Awards), I feel I accomplished what I set out to do: focusing on Blu's I hadn't yet spun.

I have 20 left over on a list I wanted to get to...saving them for next year.

Hoping everyone has fun in the home stretch!
Old 02-25-12, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Good work, Mao! This challenge was fun.

Thinking I'm gonna do a bonus rewatch of one of my favorites tomorrow. Just have to decide which title it will be.
Old 02-26-12, 10:46 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I finished the checklist last night (with no duplicates) with one day to spare. They were all first time views for me. I'm going to try to continue this philiosophy with the rest of the challenges that I do this year. I'm preparing my list of movies for the next challenge (Action/Adventure/Crime) now, I'll be ready to go come Thursday morning! I enjoyed the various comments this year, it gave me some good ideas for next year.
Old 02-26-12, 08:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Anyone else enjoying the Oscars?
Old 02-26-12, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
Watching and getting credit!
Old 02-26-12, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Watching and getting credit!
Barely staying awake, but I guess we're almost done.

Looks like The Artist is set for the near sweep. I'll be buying that one soon.
Old 02-26-12, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Watched - got credit. I also watched Funny Face in the commercial breaks since I'd started it a bit before they started. I thought it kind of appropriate to end with a Fred Astaire musical since I started with one.
Old 02-26-12, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Enjoyed partaking in the challenge with everyone. Looking forward to it again next year!
Old 02-26-12, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

Thanks for hosting, The Monkees!

See some of you in The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge!
Old 02-26-12, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

I kind of ran out of steam halfway through the challenge. Other than Batman Forever, which I didn't even watch with the challenge in mind, all my selections this were nominees in the 74th Annual Academy Awards (presented in 2002 for 2001 releases). I was disappointed by the lack of streaming availability of Moulin Rouge and Monster's Ball. In fact, I was prepared to buy the former with a $3.00 coupon from Fox but nobody has it in stock in stores!

Including previous viewings, I have now see 29 of that year's combined nominated movies. It's an interesting year because you may recall that was the year they omitted the red carpet ceremony in the wake of 9/11. I'm sure it has been discussed often in the last decade, but I got a strong sense this month of the impact that had on the voting that year.

For instance, Amelie, deservedly nominated in four major categories, failed to capture Best Foreign Language Film which instead went to No Man's Land. Without our troops in harm's way in direct consequence of a cultural war many of us found absurd in the first place, I suspect Amelie wins at least that award. Instead, it must have felt rather empty to wartime voters. I'm not saying No Man's Land isn't a well crafted film; the performances are solid and the narrative is rather taut. But it's also a rather cloying, obvious film that doesn't offer much in the way of surprise. (For my money, Lagaan: Once Upon a Time in India was also better than No Man's Land.)

In the field of Best Short Film (Animated), I did see all five nominees this month. It seems to me that perhaps the Academy was either still awash with CGI love or already on Pixar-voting autopilot. For the Birds is certainly a decent short, but I found myself more entertained by Give Up Yer Aul Sins, in which a school girl offers a peculiar narration of the story of John the Baptist. Stubble Trouble was a much more primitive film in terms of technique, but its story of a hirsute caveman desperate to rid himself of his stubble in order to woo a hot cavewoman, is probably even more developed story wise than For the Birds. The laughing brachiosaurus cracked me up.

I obviously made very little progress on the checklist by sticking with nominees from a single year like that, particularly as I didn't even get to watch all the winners. But I can say that I found it an interesting way to approach this challenge and I think perhaps next year, I'll make more of an effort to organize myself so I have access to as many as possible from a single year. Maybe I'll go forth with 2002 for its 10th anniversary, or perhaps I'll reach back to my birth year, the nominees from 1978. I dunno. I've got a year to decide.

Anyway, it was a fun little distraction and I finally got around to seeing a handful of things on my To See list. And, as always, I enjoyed the discussion thread. Nicely done again, Monkees.
Old 02-26-12, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

I wouldn't say I was enjoying the Oscars, but I watched the whole thing. Get NPH to host next year!
Old 02-27-12, 02:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Thought about trying to fit in one more film but let the ceremony wrap things up for me. I did make a late surge yesterday with Moneyball and Midnight in Paris (both first-time views) and thought about trying to fit in Hugo today but didn't make it.

I definitely let some stuff on the table, but a lot of it I did intentionally because it will fit into the action/crime challenge, and I easily topped my last year's total of five.

Thanks, The Monkees and all participants!

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Watched - got credit. I also watched Funny Face in the commercial breaks since I'd started it a bit before they started. I thought it kind of appropriate to end with a Fred Astaire musical since I started with one.
Nice! After all the Fred and Ginger talk earlier in the month, I was inspired to finally watch Daddy Long Legs, one of the few Fred pictures I haven't seen. Not as good as the peak stuff, of course, but very enjoyable, and interesting how they accommodated Caron's ballet with Astaire's tap. Really all I knew about it was Leslie Caron and "Something's Gotta Give." They did try to angle the plot so Astaire romancing Caron wouldn't be creepy, but let's face it: There's only so much you can do with a 32-year difference. Plus, they kinda overdid it with the dream-ballet device.
Old 02-27-12, 06:49 AM

I also watched a film during the commercials, finishing up The Dark Knight, which I had started earlier in the evening.

The night before I had watched 2010, and it was interesting to see so many faces from those last two watched films appear throughout Oscar night. Morgan Freeman, Christian Bale, and Gary Oldham from The Dark Knight had prominent spotlights as I was watching them on BD during the commercials; and Helen Mirren and Bob Balaban from 2010 popped up as well. I'm forgetting at least one other as well I'm pretty sure.
Thanks for hosting, The Monkees!

See some of you in The 1st Annual DVDTalk Action/Adventure/Crime Challenge!
Amen. Thanks as always TM! I doubt I'll ever watch as much as I used to watch, but I still geared all of my viewing to the Challenge and read the thread every day.

And yes, I'll see some of you in two and a half days for the start of our next Challenge.
Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I obviously made very little progress on the checklist by sticking with nominees from a single year like that, particularly as I didn't even get to watch all the winners. But I can say that I found it an interesting way to approach this challenge and I think perhaps next year, I'll make more of an effort to organize myself so I have access to as many as possible from a single year. Maybe I'll go forth with 2002 for its 10th anniversary, or perhaps I'll reach back to my birth year, the nominees from 1978. I dunno. I've got a year to decide.
That's a cool idea Travis. I may steal that some future year as well. Now that I'll perhaps never again have a month where I can watch 10 hours of TV a day for the entire month, I'll need to narrow my focus and come up with smaller Challenge projects.
Originally Posted by Gobear
I wouldn't say I was enjoying the Oscars, but I watched the whole thing. Get NPH to host next year!
It was quite mediocre this year. Not horrible imo, but I was hoping for a much funnier Billy Crystal, and perhaps a bit more pizazz. I was fighting to stay awake all night.
Old 02-27-12, 08:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Real life took hold of me part way through the challenge for a while which kept me from getting the numbers I wanted, and I was so close to getting my goal last night, but I missed it by 1 movie. But I had fun. I made 19 movies when I was hoping for 20. I finished with Robocop and cot a couple of first time viewings in. Started watching the remake of True Grit, but turned it off, as I didn't think it was as good as the original with John Wayne.
Old 02-27-12, 09:23 AM

I had a blast this year, watched 35 films (personal best) with 31 of them being 1st time viewings. Thanks to The Monkees for a great challenge and congrats to all that enjoyed it!
Old 02-27-12, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts

This one's never been one of my busy challenges, but somehow I managed not to beat my pitiful total from last year (3 films watched). Still, I enjoyed what I watched (all two items), and I had a 50% FTV rate, so it wasn't a total loss.
Old 02-27-12, 11:18 AM

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Enjoyed watching some first time viewing and old favorites. Always a great challenge!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.