Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Old 02-17-12, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 987 Likes on 818 Posts
Re: The 6th Annual Academy Award Challenge (1/26 - 2/26)

Thanks!
Old 02-18-12, 09:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 142 Likes on 97 Posts

I watched Deliverance for the first time. Note for other folks who haven't seen it before: it's probably not a good movie for first thing in the morning.
Old 02-18-12, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by lisadoris
I watched Deliverance for the first time. Note for other folks who haven't seen it before: it's probably not a good movie for first thing in the morning.
Haha. I rarely watch something first thing in the morning unless it's a rewatch. Way too zoned out.
Old 02-18-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched As Good as It Gets. A very enjoyable film and the best I've ever seen from Helen Hunt, who was fantastic and well deserving of her Best Actress win. Jack Nicholson also once again proved why he is one of the greatest actors of all time.
Old 02-18-12, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 623 Likes on 457 Posts

I've *never* seen Deliverance. I was a barely too young when it came out and a theater showing it was further away than any of us wanted to go to and attempt to gain entry. Since that initial release the opportunity to see it has never presented itself and as it's not of a genre/type that I'll typically purchase I've never had it on the radar for that - in spite of its significance to film history. But... Dueling Banjos is etched into my brain. It got seemingly constant air-play back then.

I started my day with Cleopatra (1963) - the one that almost bankrupted Fox. Another film I've not seen in decades. I was torn between this and Around the World in 80 Days (1956), another I've not seen in quite a long time. I'll watch that one later today or tomorrow. Seeing Cleopatra again makes me wish the "lost" footage would be found and get restored to create that 6 hour epic Mankiewicz originally shot for.

Last edited by BobO'Link; 02-18-12 at 04:49 PM.
Old 02-18-12, 02:29 PM

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts

Just watched Annie Hall for the very 1st time. So that was the movie that beat out Star Wars huh? I really think Woody Allen should go revisit this movie and change it so that Alvie breaks up 1st
Old 02-18-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Indy24LA
Just watched Annie Hall for the very 1st time. So that was the movie that beat out Star Wars huh? I really think Woody Allen should go revisit this movie and change it so that Alvie breaks up 1st
Okay, you just made my day!

I just finished the exquisite Dangerous Liaisons and am a bit speechless. What a beautiful film! I enjoyed the clear division between the people who were manipulating the scene and those completely unaware of the situation. And often the camera simply lingers on an actor's face, allowing them to wordless communicate through facial tics and subtle movements of lips and eyes. I have the DVD version ($3 from Big Lots) and saw that there is a Blu-Ray out. Has anyone seen it and if so, is it a significant improvement? I thought the quality of the DVD was lacking.
Old 02-18-12, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Yesterday, I finally found an old friend on Facebook and reconnected with her. We saw Batman Forever together when it came out in 1995. She told me yesterday morning that she had been cleaning out her old car last week and found the BF soundtrack on CD and it made her think of me, so it was perfectly serendipitous that we should reunite via Facebook after all these years. In tribute to that friendship, I just re-watched Batman Forever on Blu-ray. It's still a fun Bat-movie for me and I get irked when I hear people downgrade it retroactively. In 1995, it was quite popular and well liked, and it wasn't until Batman & Robin that Joel Schumacher became persona non grata among Batfans.

I readily admit it's a fairly vacuous movie, lacking in any real depth and there are absurdities aplenty but it's fun. I don't think Val Kilmer gets enough credit for playing a thoughtful, well-rounded Bruce Wayne. I also feel it's a nice reminder of the elasticity of Batman that this kind of movie works just as easily as the Burton or Nolan successes.

Batman Forever [1995 Awards]
(N): Cinematography - Stephen Goldblatt
(N): Sound - Donald O. Mitchell, Frank A. Montaño, Michael Herbick, Petur Hliddal
(N): Sound Effects Editing - John Leveque, Bruce Stambler
Old 02-19-12, 04:23 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
So it looks like James Earl Jones, Dick Smith and Oprah Winfrey are receiving this year's Governor's Awards. Am I correct in assuming that any films that their work appeared in would be eligible for the challenge, regardless of whether they received nominations?
Sorry to post this again, but it doesn't look like anyone responded. I know in previous years, this has been allowed, but I didn't see any mention in this year's thread.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about watching Conan the Barbarian with James Earl Jones and wanted to make sure I could include it on my list.
Old 02-19-12, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
...It's still a fun Bat-movie for me and I get irked when I hear people downgrade it retroactively. In 1995, it was quite popular and well liked, and it wasn't until Batman & Robin that Joel Schumacher became persona non grata among Batfans...
I pretty much agree with you on this. While not a *great* Bat film, missing terribly the presence of Burton directing and Keaton as Batman (when the role of Batman was announced for the first film I *never* thought I'd say that), it's very servicable. I've never liked the *name* of the film. It just doesn't sound like something you would use for a Bat film. Maybe that has something to do with the ire BF raises. I also wonder if people confuse BF with Batman & Robin as the title makes it sound like B&R was Robin's first appearance rather than BF. The titles *do* seem to be somewhat more fitted by switching films.

I remember watching BF in the theater and being the *only* one who laughed at the "Holey rusted metal" line from Robin. That one still makes me smile. Another good line was when Alfred tells Bruce Wayne that the "young master" has run off with the car. "The Jaguar?" asks Wayne. "No, sir. The *other* car." replies Alfred. I also feel Jim Carey as The Riddler is perfect casting. He's *almost* as good a Riddler as was Frank Gorshen.
Old 02-19-12, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
I pretty much agree with you on this. While not a *great* Bat film, missing terribly the presence of Burton directing and Keaton as Batman (when the role of Batman was announced for the first film I *never* thought I'd say that), it's very servicable. I've never liked the *name* of the film. It just doesn't sound like something you would use for a Bat film. Maybe that has something to do with the ire BF raises. I also wonder if people confuse BF with Batman & Robin as the title makes it sound like B&R was Robin's first appearance rather than BF. The titles *do* seem to be somewhat more fitted by switching films.

I remember watching BF in the theater and being the *only* one who laughed at the "Holey rusted metal" line from Robin. That one still makes me smile. Another good line was when Alfred tells Bruce Wayne that the "young master" has run off with the car. "The Jaguar?" asks Wayne. "No, sir. The *other* car." replies Alfred. I also feel Jim Carey as The Riddler is perfect casting. He's *almost* as good a Riddler as was Frank Gorshen.
I also enjoyed BF and thought Jim Carrey was a very good Riddler. I saw BF forever in the theater and still remember the Holey Rusted Metal line.
Old 02-19-12, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Didn't care too much for Batman & Robin, but the first three of that series were all good IMO. Batman Returns is probably my favorite and Danny DeVito doesn't get the credit he should for his portrayal of Penguin.
Old 02-19-12, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Put me down as another fan of BATMAN FOREVER. (I saw it on the big screen.) It's got this surreal, delirious fantasy quality that I found easy to get immersed in. I remember thinking at the time, "This is what a comic book movie should look like."
Old 02-19-12, 04:38 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I enjoyed Discovering Linda Darnell last night when I watched a Letter to three wives featured in the 4-disk 20th century fox 4-disk set. I found her to be a very memorable actress . Sad that she died so young as I discovered i n the Biography of hers included on the disk. There are 3 other movies in the set (Peyton Place, An Affair to Remember and Leave her to HEaven)I have never seen before and they all qualify for this challenge and they are all packed with features. I look forward to watching the other titles this week.
Old 02-19-12, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Checked out The Godfather: Part 2 today. Definitely a long one, but enjoyed it a little more than the original (both are good).
Spoiler:
Really enjoyed the inclusion of Robert Di Nero and the back story of Vito Corleone.
Old 02-19-12, 07:41 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

I've *never* seen Deliverance. I was a barely too young when it came out and a theater showing it was further away than any of us wanted to go to and attempt to gain entry. Since that initial release the opportunity to see it has never presented itself and as it's not of a genre/type that I'll typically purchase I've never had it on the radar for that - in spite of its significance to film history. But... Dueling Banjos is etched into my brain. It got seemingly constant air-play back then.

I started my day with Cleopatra (1963) - the one that almost bankrupted Fox. Another film I've not seen in decades. I was torn between this and Around the World in 80 Days (1956), another I've not seen in quite a long time. I'll watch that one later today or tomorrow. Seeing Cleopatra again makes me wish the "lost" footage would be found and get restored to create that 6 hour epic Mankiewicz originally shot for.
are you watching Cleopatra on DVD or bluray the latter's hidef 65mm transfer is astounding!
Old 02-19-12, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Around the World in 80 Days (1956) yesterday. Another one where it's been decades since I'd seen it. While I've always liked the film I feel it's overly long - by at least an hour. Many parts could be edited down or cut and not truly affect the outcome. That very extended bull fight scene is a prime example. It's OK, but goes on way too long. You could say the same for many of the scenes that come off more like travelogue than scenes from a major motion picture. Since it won "Best Picture" I looked up the rest of the nominees for that year. I'm amazed it won being against Friendly Persuasion, Giant, The King and I, and The Ten Commandments as I feel this is the lesser of those titles.
Old 02-19-12, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
are you watching Cleopatra on DVD or bluray the latter's hidef 65mm transfer is astounding!
DVD - 2 disk "Award Series" version. It's *still* a excellent transfer.
Old 02-19-12, 07:47 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

DVD - 2 disk "Award Series" version. It's *still* a excellent transfer.
the bluray looks like the movie was shot last week.
Old 02-19-12, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by crazychris88
I enjoyed Discovering Linda Darnell last night when I watched a Letter to three wives featured in the 4-disk 20th century fox 4-disk set. I found her to be a very memorable actress . Sad that she died so young as I discovered i n the Biography of hers included on the disk. There are 3 other movies in the set (Peyton Place, An Affair to Remember and Leave her to HEaven)I have never seen before and they all qualify for this challenge and they are all packed with features. I look forward to watching the other titles this week.
Linda Darnell was quite something. She's hot stuff in FALLEN ANGEL (1945) and FOREVER AMBER (1947). She's especially good in NO WAY OUT (1950), a racial drama directed by Joseph L. Mankiewicz and starring Richard Widmark as an angry bigot and Sidney Poitier in his film debut as a doctor treating Widmark's brother. Darnell played the embittered wife of the wounded man. When the wounded white man dies under Poitier's care, a race riot ensues. Also, check out ZERO HOUR! (1957), the inspiration for the Zucker Bros.' AIRPLANE! (1980). Darnell plays the estranged wife of Ted Stryker (Dana Andrews), the ex-pilot forced to take over in the cockpit after the two pilots are stricken by food poisoning. Darnell's counterpart in AIRPLANE! was Julie Hagerty's character.

In that box set you've got, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN is quite a choice film--a Technicolor noir with Gene Tierney at her loveliest--and most psychotic! And PEYTON PLACE is one of my favorite Hollywood melodramas. I watched it for last year's Oscar Challenge and thought it held up very well.
Old 02-20-12, 02:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 72 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
In that box set you've got, LEAVE HER TO HEAVEN is quite a choice film--a Technicolor noir with Gene Tierney at her loveliest--and most psychotic! And PEYTON PLACE is one of my favorite Hollywood melodramas. I watched it for last year's Oscar Challenge and thought it held up very well.
I watched Leave Her to Heaven early in this challenge. You have to love Gene Tierney when she's bad! I thought the film was spectacular, and the Technicolor was so beautiful. Right after Christmas, I switched from an LCD to a plasma television, and the colors are so beautiful. Peyton Place is one of my favorite Lana Turner films - along with Imitation of Love and Madame X. Gosh, that is an excellent set!!!
Old 02-20-12, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I watched Around the World in 80 Days (1956) yesterday. Another one where it's been decades since I'd seen it. While I've always liked the film I feel it's overly long - by at least an hour. Many parts could be edited down or cut and not truly affect the outcome. That very extended bull fight scene is a prime example. It's OK, but goes on way too long. You could say the same for many of the scenes that come off more like travelogue than scenes from a major motion picture. Since it won "Best Picture" I looked up the rest of the nominees for that year. I'm amazed it won being against Friendly Persuasion, Giant, The King and I, and The Ten Commandments as I feel this is the lesser of those titles.
If you had asked me before 1996 which were the worst Best Picture winners ever, I would have said THE GREATEST SHOW ON EARTH (1952) and AROUND THE WORLD IN 80 DAYS (1956). GREATEST SHOW is just mind-numbingly awful, but AROUND THE WORLD is, at least, moderately entertaining in an all-star big Hollywood everything-but-the-kitchen-sink kind of way. But it's really just fluff. It may have been the first all-star film of its kind, long before THE LONGEST DAY, HOW THE WEST WAS WON and IT'S A MAD, MAD, MAD, MAD WORLD (which it kind of resembles). So, at the time, it was a big deal. And Edward R. Murrow introduced it in a prologue that ran with theatrical prints in its initial release, giving it a prestige wrapping that the content didn't justify. (I believe I've seen the prologue but I can't remember where.)

In any event, compared to some of the Best Picture winners in the last 15 years, AROUND THE WORLD is a masterpiece.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 02-20-12 at 10:14 AM.
Old 02-20-12, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid last night. Perhaps it was just late and I was tired, but can't say I was much of a fan. It wasn't terrible by any means, but nothing stuck or really got me too intrigued about the story and characters. Maybe I'm just spoiled by modern-day action sequences and have a different taste humor. Cinematography was good, still.
Old 02-20-12, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by gp1086
Watched Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid last night. Perhaps it was just late and I was tired, but can't say I was much of a fan. It wasn't terrible by any means, but nothing stuck or really got me too intrigued about the story and characters. Maybe I'm just spoiled by modern-day action sequences and have a different taste humor. Cinematography was good, still.
You need to see THE WILD BUNCH. They both came out in the same summer. I preferred BUNCH back then and it's held up every time I've seen it since. BUTCH? Cute and amusing at times, but no classic.
Old 02-20-12, 04:20 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeffy Pop
Sorry to post this again, but it doesn't look like anyone responded. I know in previous years, this has been allowed, but I didn't see any mention in this year's thread.

Any thoughts? I'm thinking about watching Conan the Barbarian with James Earl Jones and wanted to make sure I could include it on my list.
Slick move! I say, go for it!

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.