DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-12, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

Originally Posted by Chad
And I very much like Trevor's compromise of starting at dusk, but, like orlmac said, if it requires extra days for voting we should probably just stick to the above if the extra day idea doesn't pass.
And it makes sense as the challenge goes until dawn of the 1st of Nov that it should start at Dusk the night before.
Old 08-19-12, 06:24 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
And it makes sense as the challenge goes until dawn of the 1st of Nov that it should start at Dusk the night before.
I support this compromise. Starting at dusk launches the challenge with a the right atmosphere (horror films are most effective when viewed in the dark) and is faithful to the spirit of the dusk til dawn horror marathon, in this case a 31-day marathon. I plan on watching only Criterion titles, though, to stay true to both challenges.

Last edited by Gobear; 08-19-12 at 09:33 AM.
Old 08-19-12, 07:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

It's 21-11 against so far
Old 08-19-12, 07:47 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Shouldn't killer robots / technological haywire be a checklist item (if not a theme night)? Imdb lists 15 horror movies with killer robots but omits some like Deadly Friend and Demon Seed; expanding to general technologically based evil would allow stuff like Maximum Overdrive, Video Dead, Ringu, Pulse, Poltergeist (tv messages), etc. I know we've had "sci-fi" horror but maybe specifying evil technology. Separating extraterrestrials into a separate category might be another consideration (The Thing, Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc), provided that doesn't make things too sci-fi heavy (in which case ditch the aliens).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-19-12 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-19-12, 12:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Chad, I think we have two different Facebook 'pages'. I'm not positive, since I can't use Facebook at work and the iOS interface is different; but we appear to have a group and a page.
Old 08-19-12, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Not sure if it was mentioned, but Fathom Events is doing a one-night double feature of Frankenstein & Bride of Frankenstein on 24 October. I'm sure many of us participants will be excited about that, and it might be worth incorporating somehow into the checklist. Also, I'm now following the Twitter feed and joined up with the Facebook group. I've taken to organizing my challenge lists on Letterboxd, and I'm looking forward to this year's challenge - even if my participation is sketchy, which I fully expect.
Old 08-19-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For those looking for new viewing material, the Creepshow Blu-ray is $7.37 from Amazon.
Old 08-19-12, 01:07 PM

^ Frailty is cheap too.
Old 08-19-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
For those looking for new viewing material, the Creepshow Blu-ray is $7.37 from Amazon.
Similarly, walmart has this little bit of awesome for $5

I was actually contemplating a horror themed bargains thread but there is already so much arguing over there over which store(s) are better.

Originally Posted by Darkgod
It's 21-11 against so far
To be fair that is the stat against counting the entire day, not necessarily starting at dusk that day.
Old 08-19-12, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

The extra day (starting midnight Saturday night, technically Sunday) has been...

Yeah, I know the countdown timer is still going; I overshot the time and intended to have it end this morning. It's pretty apparent it's overwhelmingly in favor of it not happening. People wanna keep the "purity" of the challenge and I get that.

As a compromise I'm gonna whip out my free pass as host (you only get one) and enact Trevor's idea of starting at dusk, which would make it from dusk till dawn. That's too cool to pass up.

Originally Posted by clckworang
Does that mean the list thread could be getting posted tomorrow as well?
Not today but only because I'm still working on it. I could post it soon though ...if it's not considered overkill.

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Shouldn't killer robots / technological haywire be a checklist item (if not a theme night)? Imdb lists 15 horror movies with killer robots but omits some like Deadly Friend and Demon Seed; expanding to general technologically based evil would allow stuff like Maximum Overdrive, Video Dead, Ringu, Pulse, Poltergeist (tv messages), etc. I know we've had "sci-fi" horror but maybe specifying evil technology. Separating extraterrestrials into a separate category might be another consideration (The Thing, Alien, Invasion of the Body Snatchers, etc), provided that doesn't make things too sci-fi heavy (in which case ditch the aliens).
Noted. And perfect for downsizing Sci-Fi Horror since it's probably a little played out (along with mutants; at least on theme nights) and just too broad a category.

Originally Posted by Trevor
Chad, do you still have that Facebook group for this? I imagine Facebook groups still suck, but maybe they've added features that might be useful.....
-&-

Originally Posted by Trevor
Chad, I think we have two different Facebook 'pages'. I'm not positive, since I can't use Facebook at work and the iOS interface is different; but we appear to have a group and a page.
Here's why it was switched over to a page last year - Facebook in their infinite wisdom decided that this group would be 'archived' since they deemed it as not having enough activity to warrant the migration to the new group format. After that took place only existing members would be allowed in the group with no new members being added. Well, apparently they changed their mind because a) it's been upgraded to the new format and b) the 'join group' button is still there, which means the whole transition to the new page was probably unnecessary.

To be honest, I do prefer the group's format over the page and its stupid ass timeline. Although the page does offer one advantage in that it goes directly to your news feed on your wall while the groups only have the sidebar on the left that can often be overlooked. I really wish there was a way to merge the two and get the best of both worlds.
Old 08-19-12, 03:31 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

Similarly, walmart has this little bit of awesome for $5
Spoiler:

I was actually contemplating a horror themed bargains thread but there is already so much arguing over there over which store(s) are better.

To be fair that is the stat against counting the entire day, not necessarily starting at dusk that day.
Hey, is the copy of Waxwork in that set fullscreen or widescreen?
Old 08-19-12, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i like the idea of starting at dusk. that'll be a great way to end the weekend and to start the challenge. i'm starting with CABIN IN THE WOODS just so everything else i watch the rest of the challenge will be completely different in my mind.
Old 08-19-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I figured if major horror Blu-ray bargains appear before the beginning of the challenge, I'd post them in the thread.
Old 08-19-12, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not today but only because I'm still working on it. I could post it soon though ...if it's not considered overkill.
I'd vote to get the checklist out before a thread list. We're still about a month and a half away and the Criterion list thread isn't up yet and that starts in a couple weeks.
Old 08-19-12, 10:21 PM

Received 50 Likes on 23 Posts

I just saw the official thread and the start time is listed as "dusk on Monday October 1st". Just to clarify, technically that means dusk on September 30th, right?... to add a few additional hours before the normal start time of Midnight?
Old 08-19-12, 11:10 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
I'd vote to get the checklist out before a thread list. We're still about a month and a half away and the Criterion list thread isn't up yet and that starts in a couple weeks.
I know that concerning the checklist I wouldn't consider it overkill. For my part I would love to have the extra time to get everything planned out, it would just mean more time to watch movies during the month! Minor revisions later wouldn't freak me out either.
Old 08-20-12, 09:45 AM

As a compromise I'm gonna whip out my free pass as host (you only get one) and enact Trevor's idea of starting at dusk, which would make it from dusk till dawn. That's too cool to pass up.
When confronted with a two choice poll question, I create a third option.
Old 08-20-12, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by orlmac
I know that concerning the checklist I wouldn't consider it overkill. For my part I would love to have the extra time to get everything planned out, it would just mean more time to watch movies during the month! Minor revisions later wouldn't freak me out either.
+1, the earlier the better. I also like having more time to organize and plan for theme nights and checklist.

With the death of movie rental shops (there are only a few Blockbusters left in Houston) any headstart I can get on subset films would be nice too.