Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

Old 08-17-12, 12:50 PM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts
Re: Comments, Suggestions & Feedback for the 2012 Horror Challenge

Originally Posted by Trevor
Compromise.

Do the "Hebrew" day definition at the start of the Challenge and start at dusk. This gives everyone a few extra hours, but nowhere close to a full day.

And as Pizza just said, and I thought all Challenges had already done; do away with any reference to time zones. It starts at midnight (or dusk) at wherever you happen to be; and ends at dawn at wherever you happen to be.

Edit to add: And make it Criterion suggested, but not enforced as another compromise.
I don't want to start us down another road here but if we end up basically tied I could gladly endorse this compromise. It only adds a few hours (at least on the east coast) so it definitely is something to consider if we are basically split on this idea.
Old 08-17-12, 01:16 PM

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

After putting way too much thought into the matter I vote no on the extra day. Its the purist in me.

If there is an extra day I think that a Criterion Theme Night (that would not be necessary to complete the theme nights) would be a good idea but that any horror movie should count. Personally, if the extra day wins I'll spend as much time as I can watching horror movies that day and put mini reviews in my list but I won't count them toward my total.

As a matter of fact I may just try to watch a bunch of horror that day even if the extra day doesn't win. Its not like I don't have enough material to get me through several horror challenges! And I'll still get up an hour and a half early the next morning to get my first official viewing in before work.
Old 08-17-12, 03:19 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
I have also searched Google on this, and also having no luck, I want to find one even more.
Would Piranha work? Saw it last year and it was body parts all over.
Old 08-17-12, 03:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
Again, I was planning on making the theme nights entry a "Criterion Crossover" followed by picking a Criterion film for the subset list, both being bonus entries.
I vote for the early start, with ^^^ happening.
Old 08-17-12, 03:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 21 Posts

I vote for the extra day with no restrictions
Old 08-17-12, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

I still vote no to the extra day. If we do start early, I say this year's numbers should have an asterisk beside them, much like they've talked about doing because of juicing in baseball.
Old 08-17-12, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I just noticed people talking about being killed with a fish and not being able to find a movie where it happens. Off topic but it reminded me of my high school senior prank with a few friends. For a couple years any object used in a fight was immediately added to the school handbook the next year as a weapon and was subsequently banned from school (unless it was a normal school supply) so we decided it would be funny to have "large mouth bass" in there as our lasting memory. So we got a large mouth bass, snuck up behind another friend and hit him in the face with it. For the next school year at least banned weapons included "large mouth bass".
Old 08-17-12, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

woops spoke toop soon

Last edited by Darkgod; 08-17-12 at 04:57 PM.
Old 08-17-12, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 649 Likes on 471 Posts

After giving it much thought about the extra day:

Start *no earlier* than local sundown: "Yes"
Considering it runs until Dawn on November 1st this makes it feel more consistent.

Anything else, I vote "No".

I'm also with Trevor on "...make it Criterion suggested, but not enforced..."
Old 08-17-12, 05:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

Looks like it is

For:Sterling Ben, Misterpeepers, Chad, Shadow Kitty, Bob o' Link, Surfin Hank, tarfrimmer, shellbelle, Darth Maher, Spartickes, Doc Moonlight Total:11

Against: Trevor, Darkgod, Rbrown498, Cadsfan111,Gp1086, sethdlh, riotinmyskull,edtheripper, shack, pizza, dmike, clkwrkorange, noirfan, gobear, undeadcow, jeffypop, terrycloth, cwiley, jmsmath, orlmac, BladzTotal:20

UPDATED: Oct. 18th, 11:27a EST
I am human so I know I spelled all your names wrong, I can't read my own handwriting sometimes. If I put you on the wrong list, let me know...

Last edited by Darkgod; 08-18-12 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-17-12, 08:37 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

One thing to keep in mind, all of you that want to start early, is that you've always been welcome to do so, in a round about way. You can start today, just make it animated horror and don't put it on your October list. And in September watch Criterion horror. The Criterion Challenge is more inclusive than you think. It's not just the 700 or so films released on DVD/BD, but several hundred more that were on laser or now exclusive to Hulu.

Small consolation to starting the official OHMC early perhaps, but it's something.

Originally Posted by clckworang
To be honest, the more I think about it, the more shocked I am that Chad is even taking a vote on this idea.
One of the many areas that shows just how lucky we are to have a Chad.
Originally Posted by SethDLH
I just noticed people talking about being killed with a fish and not being able to find a movie where it happens. Off topic but it reminded me of my high school senior prank with a few friends. For a couple years any object used in a fight was immediately added to the school handbook the next year as a weapon and was subsequently banned from school (unless it was a normal school supply) so we decided it would be funny to have "large mouth bass" in there as our lasting memory. So we got a large mouth bass, snuck up behind another friend and hit him in the face with it. For the next school year at least banned weapons included "large mouth bass".
That's awesome.
Old 08-17-12, 09:29 PM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

I vote no for the extra day. Even before I started participating in this challenge last year, horror month for me was always October and I think that's the way it should be. I feel if we do it this year, it'll have to be done every year until October 1 falls on a Saturday again, and then do we go back to starting on September 30 when it falls on a Monday again?
Old 08-18-12, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

All this debate over starting one extra day early makes me wonder if that energy went towards other comments and feedback to improve checklist or theme nights, etc what sort of stuff would come up. Coming here today gives me an inexplicable urge to hit someone with a large mouth bass.

I think Chad asked about potential sponsor suggestions. Drafthouse Films is a newer project by Alamo Drafthouse that releases some cult-like oddities so they might be down with donating. Kino Lorber has been pushing out more horror stuff lately and speaking of Criterions approaching them might now be a bad idea. Also Severin Films and Scorpion Releasing would be ideal candidates, if not already approached. I'd be willing to help.

Edit: \/ Yeah, Bladz... I understand, just being rheotorical and no disrespect intended. Discussion is good.

Last edited by Undeadcow; 08-18-12 at 12:07 PM.
Old 08-18-12, 10:06 AM

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
All this debate over starting one extra day early makes me wonder if that energy went towards other comments and feedback to improve checklist or theme nights, etc what sort of stuff would come up. Coming here today gives me an inexplicable urge to hit someone with a large mouth bass.

Chad asked for everyone to vote yes or no so I gave my opinion just like everyone else has.

Last edited by Bladz; 08-18-12 at 10:51 AM.
Old 08-18-12, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 327 Likes on 199 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow

I think Chad asked about potential sponsor suggestions. Drafthouse Films is a newer project by Alamo Drafthouse that releases some cult-like oddities so they might be down with donating. Kino Lorber has been pushing out more horror stuff lately and speaking of Criterions approaching them might now be a bad idea. Also Severin Films and Scorpion Releasing would be ideal candidates, if not already approached. I'd be willing to help.

Edit: \/ Yeah, Bladz... I understand, just being rheotorical and no disrespect intended. Discussion is good.
Code Red could use the publicity.
Old 08-18-12, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Code Red could use the publicity.
...If only the Code Red honcho wasn't so notoriously paranoid and eccentric.
Old 08-18-12, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Considering he's already posted that he doesn't like the site, there's no way he'd do it and nothing would change his mind...except for his mailman.
Old 08-18-12, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Considering he's already posted that he doesn't like the site, there's no way he'd do it and nothing would change his mind...except for his mailman.
Thats just when he is talking to you. Chad might have better people skills or a mailman costume.
Old 08-18-12, 02:15 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts

Chad, do you still have that Facebook group for this? I imagine Facebook groups still suck, but maybe they've added features that might be useful.....
Old 08-18-12, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I'm still here; just got new floors put down and getting all the furniture heavy lifting out of the way before my back is completely useless for a few months. That, and 1,001 other last-minute things.

But yes, last year(?) I changed the challenge start dates from a specific EST time zone to midnight of whatever your time zone is.

And I very much like Trevor's compromise of starting at dusk, but, like orlmac said, if it requires extra days for voting we should probably just stick to the above if the extra day idea doesn't pass.

As far as sponsors go, we have 3 confirmed so far, 2 of which are first-timers. I'll give all the details in the discussion thread. I've actually already contacted Code Red a few days ago and haven't heard anything since. But to be fair, it's taken 3 or more weeks in the past for a return response from a few. With my luck I'll probably be getting sliced up when and if they do get back to me, so that'll likely add another week to the wait. Still a few more to contact and will add all suggestions to that list.

So far, the track record is pretty good regarding sponsorship with the exception of one (starts with and "S" and ends with an "N") that never responded back. And then there's the Troma situation from last year, although they did actually agree to donate something, that ended up being the last communication with them.

If you recall on the Facebook group, it was actually changed to a page last year because of some nonsense I can't recall that wouldn't allow for new members being added. But thanks for the link, I couldn't find it and just assumed they had deleted it; I'll post it in the current page.

And while we're on the subject of social media...

Because I apparently have a sickness and can't help going overboard, I've literally just created a Twitter account. And that's odd considering I rarely use Twitter. We'll what happens.

Here's the social media breakdown:

The Facebook page. It's the "official" social media outlet. This one is non-intrusive and basically will give info on new threads being posted, upcoming trivia questions, etc.

Google Plus. I've honestly visited the site maybe twice in a year, so don't expect much here. It always takes me a few years to adjust to the new places.

Twitter. (@OctHorrorChall) Anything goes.

And finally, I *might* be posting the discussion thread as early as tomorrow after the voting timer runs out. Not trying to step on the toes of other challenges, but it's ready to go and the sooner, the easier for me. Again, this is a one time thing and hopefully things will be back to normal next year.

I'm sort of skimming over questions at the moment, but I'll go back and read over everything thoroughly when I get the chance and answer anything I might have missed.
Old 08-18-12, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 753 Likes on 490 Posts

Does that mean the list thread could be getting posted tomorrow as well?
Old 08-18-12, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SterlingBen
Thats just when he is talking to you. Chad might have better people skills or a mailman costume.
No, there was an interview linked in the Code Red thread where he specifically says he doesn't like dvdtalk. It was because of some review. It wasn't a bad review but it wasn't a great one, so he had some problem with it.
Old 08-18-12, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I could deal with the compromise of starting at dusk on the day before. Most of my watching is normally in evenings anyways.
Old 08-18-12, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I vote against an extra day. Just saying.
Old 08-18-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
No, there was an interview linked in the Code Red thread where he specifically says he doesn't like dvdtalk. It was because of some review. It wasn't a bad review but it wasn't a great one, so he had some problem with it.
Dang, now that I could see. Still maybe he has softened in his financial hurt?

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.