Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-11, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by shadokitty
With the kids asleep late last night and visiting a friend this morning, I finally took the chance to break into my Puppet Master box set and watched Puppet Master 1 and 2. Both first time views, and I have to say, not bad movies. Before the only Puppet Master I had seen was the abysmal Puppet Master vs Demonic Toys
I watched those for the first time this challenge as well, and I really enjoyed them. Part 3 is also good, IMHOWISHAAAO (in my humble opinion which is seldom humble and always an opinion).
Old 10-24-11, 01:24 PM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

If anyone wants to check out a fun splatter flick, I had a great time watching "The Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine" last night. It's not great by any means, but it was loads of fun to watch. Review here.
Old 10-24-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Black Belly Of The Tarantula has a good amount of blood, nothing like Dead Alive or just endless blood flowing and flying around but it is there, and the depravity of it all fits with the theme.
Old 10-24-11, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

9 more to 100 almost back on schedule hoping to knock them out before work tomorrow because i have no clue what will be in store the rest of the week. i abandoned the theme night and have fallen well off the 31 choices, but once i hit 100 imma knock out as many as i can of them.

do wanna focus on the checklist and officially finish it.

i will say iv been on my third day of very little sleep because iv been binging on horror and damn its affecting me i dont know how some of you guys do it so often. credit goes to yall.
Old 10-24-11, 01:56 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by rbrown498
It's certainly okay by me. I just didn't want to get caught at the end and not have completed the theme night list due to a technicality.

Thanks for the clarification, Chad.
Now that I'm so close to 31/31 on both subsets and themes, I have a paranoid fear of some error on my part screwing things up.

Finished the checklist and broke 100 today, so all I need to do is coast to the finish line with the one subset film a day.
Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
If anyone wants to check out a fun splatter flick, I had a great time watching "The Haunting of Rebecca Verlaine" last night. It's not great by any means, but it was loads of fun to watch. Review here.
I had forgotten or didn't know you had a blog Lillian. I like; will have to catch up on your whole month.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-24-11 at 02:33 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-24-11, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

What was the movie with the really long name like Attack of the Return of the Revenge of the...
Old 10-24-11, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
What was the movie with the really long name like Attack of the Return of the Revenge of the...
27 - Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D (1991) - IMDB - Wiki - PC at home - Not as bad as I feared.
Old 10-24-11, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I had forgotten or didn't know you had a blog Lillian. I like; will have to catch up on your whole month.
Thanks; I enjoy writing my reviews. It's cool to know that people are reading them!

Thanks to whoever recommended "Uninvited" and "Demonic" earlier in the thread. I bought a 12-movie pack with these two movies in it, and I watched "Uninvited" today and really enjoyed it. I'll check out "Demonic" next.
Old 10-24-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks Trevor. Is it on Youtube?
Old 10-24-11, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

The language requirement began here years ago iirc. Three total languages needed. You're in bonus mode. I think the record is about 15.
There's a record? Why didn't you tell me this earlier?!? That record could've been mine!!! Now it's too late

Originally Posted by Chad
^ My absolute favorite is Horror Rises from the Tomb. It's a riot.

An undead warlock, zombies, a decapitated floating head, devil worshippers, scantily clad women ...you name it.

<object width="420" height="315"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFoW0gyPo9k?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/YFoW0gyPo9k?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="420" height="315" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>
"He touched many hearts, minds ... and boobies"

Horror Rises From the Tomb is a good one. I got a poor introduction to Naschy. I first caught the Americanized version of Fury of the Wolfman ... and it seemed awful. And I remember being angry when someone at Blockbuster slipped the VHS tape for The Craving into the box for The Howling. I watched The Hanging Woman for last year's challenge, and enjoyed it. It had a great classic old-school atmosphere, while having a take on zombies that I hadn't seen before (they're not your Romero-esque gut-munchers).

Last edited by brainee; 10-24-11 at 02:46 PM.
Old 10-24-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

27 - Night of the Day of the Dawn of the Son of the Bride of the Return of the Revenge of the Terror of the Attack of the Evil, Mutant, Alien, Flesh Eating, Hellbound, Zombified Living Dead Part 2: In Shocking 2-D (1991) - IMDB - Wiki - PC at home - Not as bad as I feared.
There's also

Night Of The Day Of The Dawn Of The Son Of The Bride Of The Return Of The Revenge Of The Terror Of The Attack Of The Evil, Mutant, Hellbound, Flesh-Eating Subhumanoid Zombified Living Dead, Part 3
Old 10-24-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by GoldenWheels
Kinda embarrassed to admit it but saw my first Paul Naschy flick today. Frankenstein's Bloody Terror. Enjoyed it immensely, and it never devolved into the cheese I kind of expected from a wolfman meets vampire plot.

Crypts, bosoms, candles, gypsies, two kinds of monsters (three if you count a hyrbid)...what more does a movie need? Well, those are some of my top requirements anyway.

Will be looking into more Naschy very soon. (recommendations welcome as I am shooting in the dark to a degree)
Horrors rises from the tomb is probably one of his best ones. the first couple of minutes just look fantastic. That out of print box if you can find it was awesome for the price. I would also recommend Rojo Sangre, is very self-referential and probably why it was so great. it should have probably been his last one. There is a book out in Spain about naschy that has hundreds of pictures in color and is close to 400 pages. too bad is in spanish, maybe fabpress would be willing to have it translated.
The japanese ones to me weren't as good. or the one with the weird family can't remeber the title.
Old 10-24-11, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Thanks Trevor. Is it on Youtube?
It sort of is, but looks to be one of those scammy (?) youtube videos that just tries to get you to another site. But I did find it online elsewhere, cough cough.
Originally Posted by brainee
There's a record? Why didn't you tell me this earlier?!? That record could've been mine!!! Now it's too late
I don't think anyone has ever mentioned it before, but I seem to recall someone going crazy with it a few years ago and doing 15-20 languages. I did about 12 last year.
Old 10-24-11, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by terrycloth
i will say iv been on my third day of very little sleep because iv been binging on horror and damn its affecting me i dont know how some of you guys do it so often. credit goes to yall.
I've averaged about 5 hours of sleep pretty much every night this month. It's catching up with me, but I'm definitely starting to look forward to November 1st.
Old 10-24-11, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

An undead warlock, zombies, a decapitated floating head, devil worshippers, scantily clad women ...you name it.
Originally Posted by brainee

Horror Rises From the Tomb is a good one. I got a poor introduction to Naschy. I first caught the Americanized version of Fury of the Wolfman ... and it seemed awful. And I remember being angry when someone at Blockbuster slipped the VHS tape for The Craving into the box for The Howling. I watched The Hanging Woman for last year's challenge, and enjoyed it. It had a great classic old-school atmosphere, while having a take on zombies that I hadn't seen before (they're not your Romero-esque ).
Originally Posted by BuddhaWake
Horrors rises from the tomb is probably one of his best ones. the first couple of minutes just look fantastic. That out of print box if you can find it was awesome for the price. I would also recommend Rojo Sangre, is very self-referential and probably why it was so great. it should have probably been his last one. There is a book out in Spain about naschy that has hundreds of pictures in color and is close to 400 pages. too bad is in spanish, maybe fabpress would be willing to have it translated.
The japanese ones to me weren't as good. or the one with the weird family can't remeber the title.
Well, seems like a consensus. Will be on the look out for that one, thanks guys.

In a weird coincidence I actually had it once as a VHS...I ordered a bunch of Alphas DVDs (which I never watched, natch) and I guess I thought it was a DVD by the photo or something (at 99 cents I wasn't exactly being picky, this was some Oldies sale, I love their catalog). Being a VHS, I chucked it (don't pillory me VHS fans!).

Got Fury of the Wolfman DVD in that buy too. Now just have to find it in the unwatched pile(s)!

Saw that OOP box set...too rich for me right now but if I really get into Naschy, and I have the feeling I might (I love Hammer and these strike me as very Hammer-ish)....who knows.
Old 10-24-11, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Before the kids left to go visiting today, they told me what movies they wanted to see, so my movies tonight are already picked out. Attack of the Monsters aka Gamera vs Guiron , Nightmare Before Christmas, and they wanted to see Mega Shark vs Crocosaurus. They are really enjoying their vacation with me this month. Doubt they look forward to going back to school, hehe.
Old 10-24-11, 03:31 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

for a movie only 85 minutes, why did Paranormal Activity 3 feel like three hours - ugh.... (it was better than 2)
Old 10-24-11, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Continue discussion in part 4!