Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 40 Likes on 25 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
The "Don't be Afraid of the Dark" remake was actually a lot of fun.
The one with Kate Hudsen???

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
showed this to a couple friends over the weekend and they thought it was stupid. i was pissed.
Yeah I hate friends like that. Shit pisses me off with no humor to what is good films.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That reminds me that I have Ernest Scared Stupid. I'm having a tough time trying to figure out what I can watch with kids around. Saturday was Spooky Buddies and last night was a couple episodes of The Haunting Hour.
Alvin and the Chipmunks.
Old 10-17-11, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Did you watch the Blu-ray of Funhouse? It's a great set from Arrow, probably their best release so far in terms of PQ and extras.
no i own it from mill creeks 4 pack but been sitting on the shelf and randomly watched it on tv today once the month is over im gonna watch the dvd and from what you say if the bd worth the upgrade been meaning to grab some new arrows
Old 10-17-11, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

I cursed myself. I just had to go and talk about how anxious I was to leave work. Naturally, we ended up having issues, so I left about a half hour later than I anticipated. Oh well. I'm finally home now, and it's time to get the back yard set up for Dead of Night.
Old 10-17-11, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
I cursed myself. I just had to go and talk about how anxious I was to leave work. Naturally, we ended up having issues, so I left about a half hour later than I anticipated. Oh well. I'm finally home now, and it's time to get the back yard set up for Dead of Night.
I'm flip flopping between Dead of Night and Queen of Spades.
Old 10-17-11, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Chad
Gurth was unfortunately overshadowed by Olaf in The Sinful Dwarf, which I caught a couple days prior. Although that image of him running through the woods will probably be permanently etched in my memory.
Hmmm, must check that one out, depending on how sinful the Sinful Dwarf actually gets.

The Trivia Question.
First time I've known all of the answers right away, but I admit I had to look up the spelling of one of them.

I'm sure we've all been there when you watch a certain film for the first time and the whole thing is like déjà-vu, and you’re certain you haven't seen it. But the images are burned into your mind, maybe from past Fango's or a buried childhood encounter with the TV? Anyway, that's what Asylum was for me tonight. LOVED it. I'm so glad I bought the Amicus set.
Old 10-17-11, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Have to wake up way early so day 17 is in the books for me.

http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...ge-day-17.html
Old 10-17-11, 09:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great time to post this, if you guys missed it. Hear the live crowd reaction of Halloween back in 1979

Old 10-17-11, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I'm flip flopping between Dead of Night and Queen of Spades.
Which did you choose? I haven't seen Queen of Spades, but Dead of Night was quite good.

Edit to add: I've decided to continue my "Dead of" trend tonight. I'm following Dead of Night with a first-time viewing of Dead of Winter, a film I recorded off MGM-HD.

Last edited by clckworang; 10-17-11 at 10:42 PM.
Old 10-17-11, 10:45 PM

Hit a bit of a rough patch with three stinkers in a row (Lurking Fear, Sting of Death and Deodato's sloppy Body Count), but bounced back with Screams of a Winter Night. I've been wanting to see that one for years, but the rare VHS goes for ridiculous amounts whenever it pops up for sale. So, I was quite delighted to find it on Youtube. It's the only anthology I've seen where the wraparound segment is actually the strongest aspect, even managing to be pretty damn eerie at times. There's also some interesting subtext that you wouldn't expect from a typical anthology. It'd be nice to see this get a proper release sometime down the road, but I won't hold my breath.
Old 10-17-11, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Which did you choose? I haven't seen Queen of Spades, but Dead of Night was quite good.

Edit to add: I've decided to continue my "Dead of" trend tonight. I'm following Dead of Night with a first-time viewing of Dead of Winter, a film I recorded off MGM-HD.
I'm gonna go with Queen of Spades tomorrow night.
Old 10-17-11, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 75 Likes on 43 Posts

I watched three extremely unconnected films today. First up, I watched Herzog's Nosferatu which was really good. I love German films, and Herzog brought a very otherworldly feeling to the "festivities." This is the only vampire film I have seen where the female lead decides to be proactive and take on the fiend.

Next up was Dracula Has Risen From the Grave which is the third Hammer horror flick I have watched for the challenge. I used to work at a university archives, and a few of the student workers went on and on about them, but this is my first viewing experience. I am amused at how terribly British everyone, but I am not quite sure what to make of them. The garish color throws me off.

I finished up with Tremors 2: Aftershocks which is a step down from the first film, mainly due to the absence of Kevin Bacon and Reba McEntire. However, it is just as much fun as I remember.
Old 10-17-11, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
I'm gonna go with Queen of Spades tomorrow night.
I'm glad AB included Queen of Spades with Dead of Night, as it's a lesser known but fine film it it's own right, with effective atmospherics and a young Anton Walbrook. Dead of Night is, of course, a classic, though the golf story is simply awful.
Old 10-18-11, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

One of my first big surprises of the challenge, I really liked Dead of Winter. I wasn't expecting it to be as effective as it was. Solid direction from Arthur Penn, great performance from Mary Steenburgen and Roddy McDowall being menacing and funny. Jan Rubes also chews a good amount of scenery. Nice surprise!
Old 10-18-11, 04:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jacob_b
The one with Kate Hudsen???
Katie Holmes, not Kate Hudson. And yeah, it was good. It was a lot of fun. It's not the pinnacle of cinematic genius or anything, but it was a fun little creepy flick.
Old 10-18-11, 05:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Lack of sleep finally caught up with me last night. I just could not keep my eyes open and was actually in bed for the night before midnight. I'm pretty sure that was the first time for that this month.
Old 10-18-11, 07:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i plan on watching CHRISTINE tonight with commentary. one of the few carpenter commentaries i haven't listened to. always informative and entertaining.
Old 10-18-11, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

prolly going to regret this later but decided to wake up first thing this morning and knocked out 3 movies and a short before i go into work..now to decide to nap or fit in 2 or 3 more.
Old 10-18-11, 09:19 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by Gobear
Watched another first-time viewing flick, Slugs on Youtube. The 1980s really were a golden age for low-budget horror flicks. Slugs is gross and gory and immensely satisfying, like eating junk food that you know is bad for you but, oh, so tasty.
I watched that a few years ago for the Sc-Fi Challenge. I don't recall much about it, but the film I watched after it, Leeches, in my slimy marathon that day, was horrible.
Tucker & Dale was very good. And didn't even realize that was Alan Tudyk from Firefly until after the film. A very convincing redneck.
Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Another vote for the amazingly funny Tucker and Dale VS Evil. Just finished and am still laughing at some parts!
Saw it last year at a fest and loved it. Need to get a disc release of it and some of the other films I've seen at fests.
Nice. That was better than some of the actual Grindhouse trailers.
Agreed. Nice job View!
Is it just me or does this challenge hold some kind of record for equipment failures? I think I'll start including them as stats in the results thread.
Great idea! It really does seem like a record year for those.
I have no idea how people make it. I just paste it into my list every year.
I need to get on that this year. At least once in the past I've forgotten or made it difficult for Chad to count the FTVs. I vow to do that myself and post it in my list so Chad doesn't have to do any more work than necessary.
Originally Posted by Shack
I'm very excited for the premiere of The Walking Dead. And, since it's been a busy weekend and tomorrow is a full day, I'm happy it starts at 9:00!
I was glad to see they fired the entire writing staff. How was the premiere?
Okay, I just changed all 12(!) subset and theme night lists to accommodate the possible end of the world on Friday:
You've just totally screwed up my world with that. 12 day changes! A bunch of us are going to have to completely redo our cutting and pasting.
Originally Posted by omike
I watched the original earlier in the challenge and four of the sequels over the weekend. Like some others, I enjoyed the second and third more than the original. My big problem with the first was the main characters. I didn't care for either one, especially the guy, so ended up rooting for the corn. But I agree with you it was nice and creepy. Two and three, while not comedies, have a bit more humor in them and an anything goes attitude (especially in three) that I liked. Four and five are more straightforward horror and are somewhat similar although four was bloodier. I was planning on watching the next two as well but felt a real need for a break from cornpocalypse films for a while. I hope to get to them before this challenge is over. Children of the Corn 2 through 7 (are there any more?) are available in one of those Echo Bridge/Miramax sets. I picked it up for around ten or eleven bucks.
Somehow have never checked out any Corn sequels, iirc. I've always wanted to marathon through the set. Not this year, as for today's theme I'll try to do all the Pumpkinheads.
Originally Posted by DVDMagic
Hoping my 'Alien' set shows up from Amazon UK soon since it's been forever since I've seen the first one and believe it or not I haven't seen any of the sequels.
Really? I envy your first viewings of 2 and 3. Aliens is a great action film, Alien3, especially the "director's cut, is an underrated return to the creepy isolation of the classic original.
The U.S. interpretation.
But other country holidays are allowed to be counted, right?
Originally Posted by EdTheRipper
Lack of sleep finally caught up with me last night. I just could not keep my eyes open and was actually in bed for the night before midnight. I'm pretty sure that was the first time for that this month.
I've been burning the candle way too long almost every night. I get in bed at my "should be bedtime" of 9pm most nights, but usually am up past midnight watching films.

Last edited by Trevor; 10-18-11 at 09:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-18-11, 09:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by DVDMagic
FYE are running a 'Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off' sale so stopped by and picked up 'Blair Witch Project' and Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' remake for a total of just under $14.
Might be YMMV but my local FYE was running a special on used horror titles, they were 20% off through October 31st... might be worth a look if you can't find 2 similarly priced used titles for the Buy 1 Get 1/2 Off sale

Originally Posted by Trevor
I've been burning the candle way too long almost every night. I get in bed at my "should be bedtime" of 9pm most nights, but usually am up past midnight watching films.
I decided to put this challenge on hold yesterday, since I had tons of stuff to do unrelated to film. Still didn't make it to bed until after 1am though, after being at GameStop's Batman midnight release party last nite. Fortunately, I have today off - and plan to watch some movies! I'll have to pull a few all-nighters just to break my personal goal (50) this year, there's no way I'll break 100.
Old 10-18-11, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Are we counting Red State as horror? I know Kevin Smith has said it's his horror movie, and it's got some horrific elements, but I wasn't sure if a ruling had been established on it.

BTW, I was dead-set against liking the film but ended up loving it. You'd never know Smith did it, and it might be his best work. No shit.
Old 10-18-11, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Are we counting Red State as horror? I know Kevin Smith has said it's his horror movie, and it's got some horrific elements, but I wasn't sure if a ruling had been established on it.

BTW, I was dead-set against liking the film but ended up loving it. You'd never know Smith did it, and it might be his best work. No shit.
you could always count it as a wildcard. i ended up liking the hell out of the too. i still prefer the new jersey trilogy over RED STATE but it's still a great flick.
Old 10-18-11, 10:45 AM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm counting Red State, IMDB lists it as Horror.
Old 10-18-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

One of my first big surprises of the challenge, I really liked Dead of Winter. I wasn't expecting it to be as effective as it was. Solid direction from Arthur Penn, great performance from Mary Steenburgen and Roddy McDowall being menacing and funny. Jan Rubes also chews a good amount of scenery. Nice surprise!
I just finished streaming it thru Netflix and also was suprised by it. Went it not expecting much from it but it turned out to be a pretty decent movie.
Old 10-18-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Im one of the ones who hated paranormal activity and had no interest in the sequel. however going thru netflix i saw the second one is streaming and figured id give it a shot. i knew nothing about this movie and was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. I like how it tied together with the first film and the scares were much more effective and genuinely felt it was creepy at points. havent watched the trailer for part 3 but gonna look it up and see what its about may have to catch a showing of it this weekend.

gonna try and squeeze one more title in before work possibly red state since it seems a couple of you guys liked it and well its streaming.
Old 10-18-11, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by acubfaninmd
I just finished streaming it thru Netflix and also was suprised by it. Went it not expecting much from it but it turned out to be a pretty decent movie.
I'm glad someone else saw it and liked it.

Originally Posted by terrycloth
Im one of the ones who hated paranormal activity and had no interest in the sequel. however going thru netflix i saw the second one is streaming and figured id give it a shot. i knew nothing about this movie and was pleasantly surprised and really enjoyed it. I like how it tied together with the first film and the scares were much more effective and genuinely felt it was creepy at points. havent watched the trailer for part 3 but gonna look it up and see what its about may have to catch a showing of it this weekend.

gonna try and squeeze one more title in before work possibly red state since it seems a couple of you guys liked it and well its streaming.
I asked a friend of mine Sunday if she would be interested in going to see the third one, and she had the exact same opinion as you. She hated the first one but really liked the second one.

I'm probably not going to have a chance to see the third one until next weekend. I've got a friend in town this weekend, the one who was requesting a double feature of Motel Hell and Death Bed. Plus, someone asked me to go with her to a King Tut exhibit Saturday. Hey, he was a mummy. Possible wildcard?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.