Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 3

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-11, 10:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ I think there were 6 films in that line, 2 per BD, picked them all up at Best Buy for $5, but haven't opened any yet. In my pile to try to get to this month, will start with your suggestion.
Yeah I seen them at best buy awhile back. I just have 2 of them. I saw one of them last year. It was ok. This one was pretty good. Had it good moments. I highly recommend.
Old 10-17-11, 11:11 AM

Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I have a friend that refuses to say it's anything other than "okay".. I know he's doing it to piss everyone off.

Day 16 is here http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/...ge-day-16.html
I'm enjoying your reviews. It's fun to read longer comments about what other people think about the films they watch in the challenge.
Old 10-17-11, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by edwardnortonfan
I'm enjoying your reviews. It's fun to read longer comments about what other people think about the films they watch in the challenge.
Thanks!
Old 10-17-11, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Do not fall into the trap that is Nude for Satan.
I sorta felt the same way about Girls Slaves of Mogana Le Fay. Well, it was decent for obvious reasons, although it didn't feel much like an actual horror film.

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Chad, did you see my earlier suggestion for 2012 - a 4th wild-card after you hit 100.
Yes. And I think it's a great idea.

Like I mentioned earlier, I'm writing down all the suggestions.

Originally Posted by Celluloid Terror
And the night was closed out with the Syfy channel original Roadkill. This is no different from most of these movies. A group of college aged Americans go on a road trip across Ireland and piss off some Gypsies while acting like total douchebags. They get cursed and a giant bird stalks and kills them. They also have trouble with the gypsies after they take a protective amulet from them and there is an awful lot of overly dramatic filler. It did a nice job of putting me to sleep.
I'll never truly understand why so many of you endure those SyFy Original movies. Personal I'd rather be tortured with a 24 hour Kate Hudson Rom-Com marathon. But hey, kudos for taking one for the team and letting us experience your pain and suffering first hand.
Old 10-17-11, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

If my timing is right tonight's theatre viewing of Poltergeist will join the likes of:

-Jeepers Creepers
-Planet Terror
-Zombie
- John Carpenter: Fear Is Just the Beginning... The Man and His Movies (2004)

as film #100.
Old 10-17-11, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just watched two first time views

student bodies...not sure how this went under the radar for so long. this was great cheese and me and my friend had alot of fun with it.

poltergeist a movie i never ha any interest in but I DVR'ed it finally since im out a blu ray player. other then some pacing issues i really enjoyed this movie and normally i hate kids in horror movies bc they tend to look creepy (usually now intentional either) but the two lil kids here were "normal". the kitchen maggot scene and right after that was a nice touch didnt expect it to go that route.
Old 10-17-11, 12:54 PM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
I just watched "Children of the corn" for the first time. That was one creepy movie! I was thinking at first it was gonna be cheesy based on what i've read about the film. Are the sequels any good?
I watched the original earlier in the challenge and four of the sequels over the weekend. Like some others, I enjoyed the second and third more than the original. My big problem with the first was the main characters. I didn't care for either one, especially the guy, so ended up rooting for the corn. But I agree with you it was nice and creepy. Two and three, while not comedies, have a bit more humor in them and an anything goes attitude (especially in three) that I liked. Four and five are more straightforward horror and are somewhat similar although four was bloodier. I was planning on watching the next two as well but felt a real need for a break from cornpocalypse films for a while. I hope to get to them before this challenge is over. Children of the Corn 2 through 7 (are there any more?) are available in one of those Echo Bridge/Miramax sets. I picked it up for around ten or eleven bucks.
Old 10-17-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Chad

I'll never truly understand why so many of you endure those SyFy Original movies. Personal I'd rather be tortured with a 24 hour Kate Hudson Rom-Com marathon. But hey, kudos for taking one for the team and letting us experience your pain and suffering first hand.
It was coming on and I was already laying in bed and didn't feel like getting up to pick out something. And there is always the rare chance where I find it to be campy and fun.
Old 10-17-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,119 Likes on 684 Posts

Not many winners in my Mill Creek Chilling Classics 50 movie pack (so far - on disc 3) but finally saw a decent one. Horror Express (1972) which stars Christopher Lee and Peter Cushing. Some subtle humor mixed with cheap but eerie effects make this one worth watching. There is a brief but bizarre and humorous part with Telly Savalas that is pretty good. He certainly chews the scenery when he is around.

Basically it's a monster on a train movie. Enjoyable.

Last edited by Spiderbite; 10-17-11 at 02:49 PM.
Old 10-17-11, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Horror Express will also be receiving a Blu-ray release on 11/29.
Old 10-17-11, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Julie Walker
I'm sure it'd be CGI as well which just wouldn't be the same.
I personally think CGI has absolutely ruined horror films and as a result, with a few exceptions, I really can't watch any of them post '97 or so. As for Deadly Eyes, I've got a VHS rip that I plan on subjecting myself to at some point this month, so I'll weigh in then.
Old 10-17-11, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I sorta felt the same way about Girls Slaves of Mogana Le Fay. Well, it was decent for obvious reasons, although it didn't feel much like an actual horror film.
May I refer you to Dick Laurent, circa 2008:

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
18. Morgane et ses nymphes, AKA Girl Slaves of Morgana le Fey (DVD - 1971 - 86 Min – Color – France)
"Quand je vous attrape je boirai vos déchirures - When I catch you I shall drink your tears!"
What is it with movies reminding me of David Lynch lately? Here’s the second one. Remember the One Armed Man, The Man From Another Place, and Bob from Twin Peaks? Put them all in a blender and you’ll find him in this movie as Gurth. Freaky, huh? It’s hard to enjoy all that writhing female flesh with this revolting dwarf running around. The Gurth character works, though. This movie is not for all, but for the likes of my wife and me, who have a special place in our hearts for exploitation and European sleaze cinema, this film is fantastic. The film is beautiful to look at, with sweeping landscapes, a rocky castle, and just as many ugly people as pretty. I believe that Rollin is the master of filming castles, and Borowczyk is great with the forest. Bruno Gantillon combines both aptly here, directing this Queen of Witches tale. The film is pretty slow moving, but if you take it all in (maybe a couple viewings worth) you’ll see it is a real solid story. This viewing for me was the first time I noticed Françoise being an Alice in Wonderland type of character, with the blue dress and white stockings, embarking on a magical journey. If you like Euro-cult cinema, this should suit you just fine.
Old 10-17-11, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 756 Likes on 492 Posts

I'm so ready to get out of work and start tonight's movies. I was shocked to discover I'm actually going on a slightly quicker pace at this point in the challenge than any of the previous years. I'm still expecting for that to probably start to even out as the month goes along, but we'll see. I've already got at least one movie reserved for pretty much every night during the week for the rest of the challenge. It certainly takes the pressure off so I can avoid stressing myself out trying to figure out what to watch next.
Old 10-17-11, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 658 Likes on 478 Posts

...I'll never truly understand why so many of you endure those SyFy Original movies. Personal I'd rather be tortured with a 24 hour Kate Hudson Rom-Com marathon. But hey, kudos for taking one for the team and letting us experience your pain and suffering first hand.
Same here. Other than their treatment of Dune and Dune Messiah they're typically horrible. After attempting several which sounded fairly good I finally gave up on 'em and will no longer make the attempt no matter how good it may sound. I own Alien Apocalypse (this *was* a Sci-Fi Channel film wasn't it?) only because Bruce Campbell and Renée O'Connor are in it. If it were not for their performances there'd be no reason to ever watch it again.
Old 10-17-11, 06:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Horror Express will also be receiving a Blu-ray release on 11/29.
I'm hoping for finally getting a quality release of that one. It's a fun little film that's been treated rather shabily with all the poor quality PD collection type releases. A bit like The Terror in that respect.
Old 10-17-11, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Question about a checklist item:

Takes Place on a Holiday

Does this mean Holiday in the U.S. sense (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) or can it also be interpreted in the British sense of you "go on a Holiday" (Vacation)?
Old 10-17-11, 06:32 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

FYE are running a 'Buy 1, Get 1 Half Off' sale so stopped by and picked up 'Blair Witch Project' and Rob Zombie's 'Halloween' remake for a total of just under $14.

Taking the last weekend off from work at the end of the month, so I'm hoping to spend it relentlessly watching horror in my attempt to hit 100.

Hoping my 'Alien' set shows up from Amazon UK soon since it's been forever since I've seen the first one and believe it or not I haven't seen any of the sequels.
Old 10-17-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh, my BD player is acting up. It does this once in a while where for whatever reason it will pick and choose to screw up on certain discs. Either freezing at a random moment in the movie or loading the disc (and recognizing it is a blu ray) but not getting passed the home page so I don't even get to the menu of the BD. Such a headache.
Old 10-17-11, 06:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^The curse continues.

Originally Posted by Dick Laurent
May I refer you to Dick Laurent, circa 2008:
Gurth was unfortunately overshadowed by Olaf in The Sinful Dwarf, which I caught a couple days prior. Although that image of him running through the woods will probably be permanently etched in my memory.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
Question about a checklist item:

Takes Place on a Holiday

Does this mean Holiday in the U.S. sense (Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, etc.) or can it also be interpreted in the British sense of you "go on a Holiday" (Vacation)?
The U.S. interpretation.
Old 10-17-11, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Trivia Question.

You are playing for a copy of The Complete History of The Return of the Living Dead courtesy of HamiltonBook.com:

The Return of the Living Dead film series has become one of the most successful zombie movie franchises of all time, gaining cult status across the world and inspiring movies such as 28 Days Later, Shaun of the Dead, and Zombieland. For the first time in 25 years, the cast and crew of all five films in this franchise reveal the stories behind the movies, offering their own opinions and details about life on the sets of some of the most fraught productions in cinema history. Supported by dozens of cast and crew members, The Complete History of the Return of the Living Dead features hundreds of previously unreleased behind-the-scenes photographs and exclusive artwork. This eye-catching, comprehensive book is the ultimate celebration of The Return of the Living Dead franchise and all those who contributed to its creation.

1. In the film "Suspiria" the dance academy is located in what country?

2. What famous director does John Carpenter idolize and was also an influence on many of his films?

3. The author of the Mario Bava book "All the Colors of the Dark" is the editor and co-publisher of what genre magazine?

4. What are the two low-budget 1980's horror films that Martin Landau and Jack Palance worked on together?

5. Name the film utilizing the killer's POV from 1960 that had a profound impact on the slasher genre.

How's that for easy?

PM me the answers. I'll keep it open for 48 hours. And it's randomly drawn this time.

Last edited by Chad; 10-17-11 at 07:31 PM. Reason: Misspelled influence.
Old 10-17-11, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

PM me the answers. I'll keep it open for 48 hours. And it's randomly drawn this time.
I'll admit to being greedy; is it possible to win multiple contests/prizes?
Old 10-17-11, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That reminds me that I have Ernest Scared Stupid. I'm having a tough time trying to figure out what I can watch with kids around. Saturday was Spooky Buddies and last night was a couple episodes of The Haunting Hour.
I know the feeling as I have kids staying with me for the rest of the month. They like Universal monster films, and creature features but other films are too scary for them.
Old 10-17-11, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
I'll admit to being greedy; is it possible to win multiple contests/prizes?
I didn't specify any stipulations, so I guess so.
Old 10-17-11, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

damn i know all the answers minus prolly the one most people know automatically and thats because im not a fan of Carpenter. and in spirits of trivia i wont look up answers.

on a side note finished up My tobe hooper double feature with the funhouse. man theres so many great titles iv been putting off. had alot of fun with this one...took awhile for anything to happen but surprisingly it stayed entertaining and kept my attention pretty creepy movie. have a new admiration for hooper as iv only seen tcm 1/2 before.
Old 10-17-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Did you watch the Blu-ray of Funhouse? It's a great set from Arrow, probably their best release so far in terms of PQ and extras.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.