Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-11, 12:28 AM

Received 54 Likes on 36 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

That's awesome clckworang. I wish I could do something similar.
Old 09-30-11, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
^ Dude, that's freakin' awesome. How close are your neighbors? I could never get away with that (especially showing horror films).

My one suggestion: You really need to upgrade some of your seating options.
Hey! No, I kid, I kid. Thanks. Yes, I've sort of eschewed comfort for the time being and have been putting spare money more into the technical stuff so far. I have a couple of comfy chairs and another one that's being used as a speaker stand. I bring out cushions. I also have a little couch under the patio that you can't see in the pic, but basically, I bought a few plastic chairs just to have something for people. Plus, comfy chairs can get expensive! Like I said, it's always evolving out there, but it's a fun project.

I'm lucky enough to have a house on the end of a cul-de-sac, so I have a much bigger back yard than most of the houses near me. I actually have quite a bit of space. I've walked out to the edges of my yard, closer to where it could conceivably be a problem for neighbors, and it's not easy to hear. I don't think there's any way they would be hearing it from inside their homes; it's not like I'm being an asshole and really cranking it. So far, there have been no problems, and I have already showed plenty of horror movies.
Old 09-30-11, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by takingchase
So does anyone count Dexter for this challenge now that TV is allowed? I've missed the most recent season completely and wouldn't mind catching back up.
I counted it last year, as did others.
Old 09-30-11, 12:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 208 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by takingchase
So does anyone count Dexter for this challenge now that TV is allowed? I've missed the most recent season completely and wouldn't mind catching back up.
If Dexter is chasing teenagers through dark woods with a chainsaw while wearing a hockey mask, on a full moon 10 years to the day that the old sleepaway camp, which was built on an Indian burial ground, mysteriously burned to ashes during a Black Mass, then sure. (I kid, I kid.)

You can count whatever you like,; it's your challenge, watch the shows and movies that you find scary.

Last edited by Gobear; 09-30-11 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-30-11, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Chad
And introducing our brand new sponsor:

Don't yet know what they're offering, but I certainly can't wait to find out.
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Old 09-30-11, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
As far as wild cards go, my friend is insisting on watching 2009's Sherlock Holmes on Saturday. I know basically nothing about it - are there any supernatural elements, at least enough that a wild card could be used?
you should compromise and watch MURDER BY DECREE instead...sherlock holmes hunting jack the ripper.
Old 09-30-11, 04:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
^ Dude, that's freakin' awesome. How close are your neighbors? I could never get away with that (especially showing horror films).

My one suggestion: You really need to upgrade some of your seating options.
This whole post was my exact thoughts

Last edited by SethDLH; 09-30-11 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-30-11, 07:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 379 Likes on 236 Posts

Love the outdoor theater.
Old 09-30-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had about 2 hours of driving around to do this morning and couldn't stop thinking about how cool that outdoor theater is. It did lead to a couple questions though...

Do you have a cover for it for when it's not in use? Can the canvas withstand rain? What happens if a bird poops on the screen? I see you mentioned that it was playing a mirrored image on the back of the screen, how did you get that to stop?

You must have pretty laid back neighbors which is awesome. My current neighborhood has a lot of busy body old people that think they own the street and would undoubtedly say something about it like they do everything else. Not that it ever matters to me lol
Old 09-30-11, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by SethDLH
I had about 2 hours of driving around to do this morning and couldn't stop thinking about how cool that outdoor theater is. It did lead to a couple questions though...

Do you have a cover for it for when it's not in use? Can the canvas withstand rain? What happens if a bird poops on the screen? I see you mentioned that it was playing a mirrored image on the back of the screen, how did you get that to stop?

You must have pretty laid back neighbors which is awesome. My current neighborhood has a lot of busy body old people that think they own the street and would undoubtedly say something about it like they do everything else. Not that it ever matters to me lol
read the whole post...

screen is made of vinyl (probably just spray it with a hose to clean it) and he put a wooden board behind the screen to block the reverse image.
Old 09-30-11, 08:44 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by clckworang
All right, I'm going slightly off topic here but might as well bring some of it up in case I'm bitching during the month about the weather or bugs. This will be the first challenge where I will have my ever evolving outdoor theater. Yay! I also have a new group of friends who are really excited about this challenge. They have dubbed their own participation in my viewings as their Horror Outdoor Film Festival, or HOFF. But I'm really happy that they're making requests and getting really into it.

And since I put in an HDMI/optical audio wall plate in, I've pretty much shifted most of my viewing to the outside. It's nice to have the big screen, and the dog loves it. Fortunately, I live in South Texas where it's pretty much always hot and humid and I can basically sit outside year round. Anyway, because of that, I imagine the back yard may become a character in my challenge this year, which is why I bring it up.

I also bring it up because Chad had said he was interested in seeing some pictures. I'll put some of those in spoiler tags because I realize this is going off topic, but some might get a kick of seeing them or hearing a little about the technical specs. And yes, my main pic for my list is probably going to be one of these.

Spoiler:

Well, here's my back yard. I'll just include a few pics and figured I would give a little bit of technical specs for those who might be interested. I ended up with an Optoma projector. It's only 720p, but I liked that it was 3D capable with a converter box. Granted, that box is like $250 and I haven't been able to justify buying it yet, but when I do, I think the big screen would make the 3D a better investment than if I just had a 3D TV.

The audio situation isn't the best, but it's pretty good. I have an old receiver out there. It has one optical input. I also have 3 old speakers. They aren't outdoor ones, so I have to put them up every night. A bit of an inconvenience, and as humid as it is down here, I'm sure they won't last too long. For now, it's more than adequate, though. Eventually, I obviously want to buy some outdoor speakers and have something I can just leave in place.

As for the screen, I'm using a blank piece of vinyl, like what is used for outdoor signs. I use the back because I read the shiny front side will reflect the light back. Needless to say, it works incredibly well. I mean, it really looks like a real screen, and it's outdoor material. I have a friend who knows a guy who owns a sign shop. He ordered the vinyl for me. $75 for an 8' x 12' blank vinyl sign.

The stand was difficult to manage. It's windy down here. We regularly get gusts in the 40-55 mph range. We built a structure of PVC pipes that were anchored with buckets filled with concrete. Then we anchored it down with ropes. It would do OK for a time, but I could never get the screen taut. It was just too big, too much to manage, and there was no backing to the screen. No backing created a slight content worry for me. I realized that the other side of the screen showed an almost perfect reverse projected image of whatever I was watching on the other side of the screen. Great. I'm sure my neighbors with kids would appreciate some of my choices in films and TV. Yikes.

But technically that meant I had nothing to really get the screen tight; it also meant that it was a huge fucking sail in my big back yard. The PVC couldn't withstand the wind. It would be all right for a week or so, but it would always end up toppling. It doesn't help that the ground isn't level and shifts the buckets, either. So, we finally built something permanent.

Four 4x4x12 posts cemented into the ground. Then we got big outdoor grade sheets of plywood and screwed them onto the posts. From there, it was easy because we had already stapled wooden posts through the width of the screen to help get some balance and sturdiness with the old stand. The new stand is now *very* secure. It's nice not to have to come home from work and worry that the screen had toppled over. Anyway, for those of you who have read all of this, wow. Congratulations for getting to the end. Anyway, I don't mean to derail things, but I'm always happy to talk about it if anyone has any questions. Thanks for excusing my little diversion.

I love it! why can't I have friends like you??

I agree about the seating, they don't look like the most comfortable seats - but on the whole

~

so... what's everyone's first movie - I'm gonna watch my bluray copy of 'Basket Case' ... I think.
Old 09-30-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
so... what's everyone's first movie - I'm gonna watch my bluray copy of 'Basket Case' ... I think.
i'm going to try to get through the entire original HALLOWEEN series before the weekend is over. we'll see how that goes.
Old 09-30-11, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

Hey! No, I kid, I kid. Thanks. Yes, I've sort of eschewed comfort for the time being and have been putting spare money more into the technical stuff so far. I have a couple of comfy chairs and another one that's being used as a speaker stand. I bring out cushions. I also have a little couch under the patio that you can't see in the pic, but basically, I bought a few plastic chairs just to have something for people. Plus, comfy chairs can get expensive! Like I said, it's always evolving out there, but it's a fun project.

I'm lucky enough to have a house on the end of a cul-de-sac, so I have a much bigger back yard than most of the houses near me. I actually have quite a bit of space. I've walked out to the edges of my yard, closer to where it could conceivably be a problem for neighbors, and it's not easy to hear. I don't think there's any way they would be hearing it from inside their homes; it's not like I'm being an asshole and really cranking it. So far, there have been no problems, and I have already showed plenty of horror movies.
If I lived next door to you and could hear the audio, I would insist on being invited to the screenings.
Old 09-30-11, 10:47 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome outdoor theater clckworang! You have a month of awesomeness ahead.
Old 09-30-11, 11:00 AM

Received 72 Likes on 51 Posts

I plan on watching 'Shock Waves', I think. I'll probably rethink it a bunch of times though.
Old 09-30-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
read the whole post...

screen is made of vinyl (probably just spray it with a hose to clean it) and he put a wooden board behind the screen to block the reverse image.
Oh the glories of waking up at 5am. I totally skipped over the wooden board part and just assumed the poles were there haha.
Old 09-30-11, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having sat through The Wraith earlier this year, I can tell you that you haven't been missing much. If you need your Clint Howard fix, I'd suggest Evilspeak, which is at least entertainingly absurd, with a climax that is really...out there.
I'd have to go with Ice Cream Man for my Clint Howard fix.

Cool setup clckworang! Are you skipping anything that has nudity? I'm 99% sure I have at least one neighbor across the street that might be able to make out something if they stood by their window. I used to get a weird feeling at first like when I watched something like Orgy of the Dead.

Would you ever consider something like a Hostel double feature?
Old 09-30-11, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 472 Posts

...but I could never get the screen taut. It was just too big, too much to manage, and there was no backing to the screen...
From your first picture it looks like you still have a few minor issues with the flatness of the screen. Have you tried stretching it like a canvas on a frame? Here's the process if you're not familiar with the technique:
Spoiler:

You start with one point in the center of the frame on all sides. Pull the canvas/material somewhat taut. You then work work from the middle outwards and in opposites, doing a single attach point on opposing diagonal sides as you go. Keep going in this pattern until you get them all done but just do *one* attach point per side as you go. If you run out on the short sides simply move to the longer sides to finish. For the size you're working with I'd use a hold-down every 6 inches or so.

Here's the basic pattern: Simply follow the numbers adding more as needed in the same pattern.

That's a *very* cool setup! Were I in the country I'd give something like that a try. As it is, the neighbors are just too close to allow for the sound levels I'd want to go for.
Old 09-30-11, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

All right, I'm going slightly off topic here but might as well bring some of it up in case I'm bitching during the month about the weather or bugs. This will be the first challenge where I will have my ever evolving outdoor theater. Yay! I also have a new group of friends who are really excited about this challenge. They have dubbed their own participation in my viewings as their Horror Outdoor Film Festival, or HOFF. But I'm really happy that they're making requests and getting really into it.

And since I put in an HDMI/optical audio wall plate in, I've pretty much shifted most of my viewing to the outside. It's nice to have the big screen, and the dog loves it. Fortunately, I live in South Texas where it's pretty much always hot and humid and I can basically sit outside year round. Anyway, because of that, I imagine the back yard may become a character in my challenge this year, which is why I bring it up.

I also bring it up because Chad had said he was interested in seeing some pictures. I'll put some of those in spoiler tags because I realize this is going off topic, but some might get a kick of seeing them or hearing a little about the technical specs. And yes, my main pic for my list is probably going to be one of these.

Spoiler:

Well, here's my back yard. I'll just include a few pics and figured I would give a little bit of technical specs for those who might be interested. I ended up with an Optoma projector. It's only 720p, but I liked that it was 3D capable with a converter box. Granted, that box is like $250 and I haven't been able to justify buying it yet, but when I do, I think the big screen would make the 3D a better investment than if I just had a 3D TV.

The audio situation isn't the best, but it's pretty good. I have an old receiver out there. It has one optical input. I also have 3 old speakers. They aren't outdoor ones, so I have to put them up every night. A bit of an inconvenience, and as humid as it is down here, I'm sure they won't last too long. For now, it's more than adequate, though. Eventually, I obviously want to buy some outdoor speakers and have something I can just leave in place.

As for the screen, I'm using a blank piece of vinyl, like what is used for outdoor signs. I use the back because I read the shiny front side will reflect the light back. Needless to say, it works incredibly well. I mean, it really looks like a real screen, and it's outdoor material. I have a friend who knows a guy who owns a sign shop. He ordered the vinyl for me. $75 for an 8' x 12' blank vinyl sign.

The stand was difficult to manage. It's windy down here. We regularly get gusts in the 40-55 mph range. We built a structure of PVC pipes that were anchored with buckets filled with concrete. Then we anchored it down with ropes. It would do OK for a time, but I could never get the screen taut. It was just too big, too much to manage, and there was no backing to the screen. No backing created a slight content worry for me. I realized that the other side of the screen showed an almost perfect reverse projected image of whatever I was watching on the other side of the screen. Great. I'm sure my neighbors with kids would appreciate some of my choices in films and TV. Yikes.

But technically that meant I had nothing to really get the screen tight; it also meant that it was a huge fucking sail in my big back yard. The PVC couldn't withstand the wind. It would be all right for a week or so, but it would always end up toppling. It doesn't help that the ground isn't level and shifts the buckets, either. So, we finally built something permanent.

Four 4x4x12 posts cemented into the ground. Then we got big outdoor grade sheets of plywood and screwed them onto the posts. From there, it was easy because we had already stapled wooden posts through the width of the screen to help get some balance and sturdiness with the old stand. The new stand is now *very* secure. It's nice not to have to come home from work and worry that the screen had toppled over. Anyway, for those of you who have read all of this, wow. Congratulations for getting to the end. Anyway, I don't mean to derail things, but I'm always happy to talk about it if anyone has any questions. Thanks for excusing my little diversion.

That is a bloody awesome setup! All that fresh air, neighbors that are just out of reach and no obnoxious patrons yammering on their cell phones.

You should start charging admission and have guests park in your backyard to give it that authentic drive-in flavor.
Old 09-30-11, 12:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

what's everyone's first movie - I'm gonna watch my bluray copy of 'Basket Case' ... I think.
I'm probably going to completely screw my sleep schedule and be a wreck at work all weekend by staying up most of the night watching Criterion horror films.

Double Challenge credit baby!
Old 09-30-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for all the kind words, everyone! It will indeed be a fun month. I wish I could do a big DVDTalk screening for everyone! Of course, you would all need to bring your own chairs.

Originally Posted by BobO'Link
From your first picture it looks like you still have a few minor issues with the flatness of the screen. Have you tried stretching it like a canvas on a frame? Here's the process if you're not familiar with the technique:
Spoiler:

You start with one point in the center of the frame on all sides. Pull the canvas/material somewhat taut. You then work work from the middle outwards and in opposites, doing a single attach point on opposing diagonal sides as you go. Keep going in this pattern until you get them all done but just do *one* attach point per side as you go. If you run out on the short sides simply move to the longer sides to finish. For the size you're working with I'd use a hold-down every 6 inches or so.

Here's the basic pattern: Simply follow the numbers adding more as needed in the same pattern.

That's a *very* cool setup! Were I in the country I'd give something like that a try. As it is, the neighbors are just too close to allow for the sound levels I'd want to go for.
I am having some minor issues, but really only on areas where the projector doesn't hit, which is fortunate. We plan on eventually pulling it tight and adding trim on the top, bottom and sides, which should solve some of those wrinkle issues, but I'll try your method as well. I'd be more aggressive in keeping it completely wrinkle free, but like I said, the main picture area really isn't affected.

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Cool setup clckworang! Are you skipping anything that has nudity? I'm 99% sure I have at least one neighbor across the street that might be able to make out something if they stood by their window. I used to get a weird feeling at first like when I watched something like Orgy of the Dead.

Would you ever consider something like a Hostel double feature?
I will skip on nothing! It would be difficult for any of my neighbors to see anything. If I didn't have that backing, I would probably be more hesitant, but with the backing in place, it's pretty much anything goes. Then again, even when there was no backing, my friends would cover over on Sunday nights to watch True Blood. So, I guess I wasn't too hesitant.

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
If I lived next door to you and could hear the audio, I would insist on being invited to the screenings.
I have a neighbor who frequently has people over on big fight nights. I think he brings his TV outside or by the back door or something because he'll have people over watching the fights and getting rowdy. I keep on half-expecting him to ask to do it over at my house one night.

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
read the whole post...

I actually bought a really big tarp that I technically could use to cover the whole thing as protection, but like you say, the vinyl is made for outdoor use so it's pretty hardy and just needs some occasional water, if that.
Old 09-30-11, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

BLACK SWAN (2010) is on Cinemax on Monday and I was thinking of watching it for this challenge, since I remember reviews saying it was, in essence, a horror film, but when I checked it on IMDB, it didn't list "horror" as one of the genres. I checked PERFECT BLUE (1997) also, the anime thriller that supposedly inspired BLACK SWAN, and it didn't say "horror" either.

Is there another way of checking the eligibility of films like this if IMDB doesn't list a potential title as horror?
Old 09-30-11, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Nice! Synapse are about as major an upgrade from Troma as you can get. Anyone know what they're using wild cards for? I've (finally) got The Exterminator on the way, so that will be one of 'em.
I might have to check out The Exterminator this year. I had forgotten about that movie. When I was in 7th grade, we had our annual football trip to St. Louis (from Chicago) and we'd all stay with a families from the opposing team. I was so excited to be going to St. Louis (at the time I really hadn't been ANYWHERE worth getting excited about so St. Louis was it for me). I thought we'd be going into the city and checking out the sites, maybe go up in the arch... The house we stayed at was way out in the sticks and we didn't go ANYWHERE (except to the game). But they rented Tuff Turf and The Exterminator, and I remember liking those.
Old 09-30-11, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
BLACK SWAN (2010) is on Cinemax on Monday and I was thinking of watching it for this challenge, since I remember reviews saying it was, in essence, a horror film, but when I checked it on IMDB, it didn't list "horror" as one of the genres. I checked PERFECT BLUE (1997) also, the anime thriller that supposedly inspired BLACK SWAN, and it didn't say "horror" either.

Is there another way of checking the eligibility of films like this if IMDB doesn't list a potential title as horror?
Copied from the OP:

If you're uncertain of the title's genre classification the IMDB and AllRovi (formerly allmovie.com) are the go-to sources for determining its potential horror movie status.
Need more confirmation? A third and fourth option exists and that is FlickChart (requires free sign up) and TMDB.
Of course, any site is prone to the occasional error and if you feel that's the case asking in the discussion thread is advised.
Just keep in mind that the #1 deciding factor regarding what counts is you and you alone.
It was featured on the cover of Fangoria and that's more than enough confirmation for me.

And there's this:

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
My trick for figuring out movies I haven't seen is to do a search like "good neighbors horror movie" and see what I get. That search turns up reviews for that movie at horror movie sites, which is good enough for me.
Old 09-30-11, 01:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a shitload of stuff to take care of tomorrow (daytime) so I'm not sure if I'll get to watch anything until later that night, when I go to a triple feature showing under the moonlight of the following films tomorrow night:
- Contagion (2011)
- Don't Be Afraid of the Dark (2011)
- Final Destination 5 (2011)

With some horror characters roaming around me..oughta be a fun night!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.