Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/31)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-11, 06:07 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by Chad
The bad news: The possibility exists that Troma will no longer be our sponsor. You may have noticed they weren't mentioned on the front page blurb or in the DVDTalk newsletter. John Sinnott handles this one and it took him four or five attempts to get a response back from them originally. Turns out they have a new PR person. Eventually they did respond back and even acknowledged they were interested and would get back in touch once they see what's available for donation. That never happened.
Troma is BY FAR the worst ran company in the biz. Obviously this isn't a huge thing, but if they don't get their shit together soon, they wont be around next year to even see if they'd want to donate. At this point I doubt the Mothers Day blu-ray will even be out by the next challenge.

Last edited by bse; 09-29-11 at 06:37 PM.
Old 09-29-11, 06:13 PM

Received 67 Likes on 49 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 7th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (10/1 - 10/3

Originally Posted by clckworang
Same with Three Extremes. That one would be good to use.
Ah yes, thanks! That and Thirst will both be first-time views for me.
Old 09-29-11, 06:26 PM
Mao

Received 63 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mao
Planning on spinning the "Exorcist" series, but wondered:

Which one of the prequels do I watch? Watched both of them months apart from each other back when they came out on DVD and don't remember details enough to figure out if watching one (or both again) would "ruin" the continuity or storyline....

Am I reaching here or should I watch both?
Hmmmm...still unsire after reading this article:

http://movies.ign.com/articles/620/620663p1.html
Old 09-29-11, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

Originally Posted by SethDLH
Any idea what time the question will be posted?

Syfy actually has a few movies I want to check out.
I'll get back to you on that. Don't yet know if it's gonna be a specific time or a spontaneous kinda thing.

Originally Posted by clckworang
Or will those of us who have to maybe go to a baby shower on Saturday have time to send an answer later?
Therein lies the problem. Saturday just seemed to be the best day as not everyone is able to post from work. Maybe in the interest of fairness I should keep it open a few days and hold a random drawing for all the correct entries?

And deja vu!
Old 09-29-11, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 123 Likes on 67 Posts

IS everyone counting Sante Sangre towards the Theme Night?
Old 09-29-11, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to. It's definitely considered a cult film.
Old 09-29-11, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Its about as cult as a cult film can get imo.
Old 09-29-11, 07:11 PM
Needs to Contact Admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got in on that HuluPlus deal for the Roku to give me some extra options for movies.

There is also another channel called 'CRACKLE' which has a bunch of movies of various genres; as well a 'EPIX' which has a free months sign up offer.

I'm determined to avoid as many dreadful movies as possible since my efort last year was rife with them.
Old 09-29-11, 07:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

And introducing our brand new sponsor:

Don't yet know what they're offering, but I certainly can't wait to find out.

Old 09-29-11, 07:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice! Synapse are about as major an upgrade from Troma as you can get. Anyone know what they're using wild cards for? I've (finally) got The Exterminator on the way, so that will be one of 'em.
Old 09-29-11, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

SYNAPSE! YES!

Originally Posted by NoirFan
Nice! Synapse are about as major an upgrade from Troma as you can get. Anyone know what they're using wild cards for? I've (finally) got The Exterminator on the way, so that will be one of 'em.
I'm sure that will be one for me. Not sure on the other 2.
Old 09-29-11, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

still haven't picked up any synapse blu's so this is awesome news!!!!
Old 09-29-11, 08:11 PM

Nice to hear about the new sponsor.

As for the SyFy films, I've seen Husk and Seconds Apart. Husk is decent enough, but I enjoyed Seconds Apart a lot. It has a few plot holes, but the story comes together pretty well and the acting is good. It was interesting to see Orlando Jones in a dramatic role. I recommend it, for what that's worth.
Old 09-29-11, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

Wow! Synapse! That really is great news. It should be interesting to see what they will offer.
Old 09-29-11, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

As far as wild cards go, my friend is insisting on watching 2009's Sherlock Holmes on Saturday. I know basically nothing about it - are there any supernatural elements, at least enough that a wild card could be used?
Old 09-29-11, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by NoirFan
As far as wild cards go, my friend is insisting on watching 2009's Sherlock Holmes on Saturday. I know basically nothing about it - are there any supernatural elements, at least enough that a wild card could be used?
There's barely something at the end but I think that's a real big stretch to relate it to horror.
Old 09-29-11, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Damn, that'll be two precious October hours wasted then!
Old 09-29-11, 09:38 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Cool Ghoul
"The Monster Walks" was one that I really wanted to check out. If you saw the Alpha version, how was the print?
I found it watchable. I don't especially remember much about the print, transfer or sound, and with Alpha that's a good thing. I've only seen a few Alpha DVDs, with The Vampire Bat having the best quality by far (and I got that for $.99 from Oldies.com), Condemned To Live having some problems, particularly with sound (although it's a pretty good movie), and The Bat and The Monster Walks falling in between with respect to picture and sound quality.
Old 09-29-11, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 164 Likes on 121 Posts

I might watch Santa Sangre, but the film I had planned for counting toward the theme night was one I bought for the B Movie challenge but never got around to watching it then, so it's still unopened. A movie I hadn't seen since I was a kid, The Wraith.
Old 09-29-11, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Having sat through The Wraith earlier this year, I can tell you that you haven't been missing much. If you need your Clint Howard fix, I'd suggest Evilspeak, which is at least entertainingly absurd, with a climax that is really...out there.
Old 09-29-11, 10:25 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
Lots of Hong Kong horror is good for this challenge. My favorite would have to be Sammo Hung's ENCOUNTERS OF THE SPOOKY KIND (1980). Then there are the Mr. Vampire films and the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy. I have to dig those out.
I've seen all that you have mentioned here except the Chinese Ghost Story trilogy. (My response was poorly worded -I was actually referring to the "Old Dark House" sub-genre). I was thinking about watching the Chinese Ghost Story movies next month, but there are so many possible choices. I have been thinking that the Hong Kong movies that I'd like to watch for this challenge are The Eye, The Eye 2, The Eye 10 and the first two movies in the Happy Ghost series, maybe watching the other three during next month's Comedy Challenge.

If anyone wants to expand their viewing horizons during this challenge, the are quite a few stores in Manhattan's Chinatown where you can pick up Hong Kong DVDs for $5 and up-my favorite is New York Music & Gifts on the corner of Canal Street and The Bowery. I haven't had any luck finding similar stores in any other northeastern city, except Toronto.

The horror movie, especially the horror comedy, is one of the most important genres in Hong Kong, and the movies that Ash mentioned are some of its highlights.
Old 09-29-11, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FYI, Chillerama hits VOD today:

<object width="640" height="360"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pGUCX53u90I?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pGUCX53u90I?version=3&hl=en_US&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="640" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

Spoiler:
http://liberaldead.com/blog/chillerama-invades-video-on-demand-september-29th

CHILLERAMA. With segments directed by Tim Sullivan, Adam Green, Adam Rifkin, and Joe Lynch, the early word on the film is that it’s a fantastic homage to drive-in cinema. Unexpected demand for the film have caused IMAGE Entertainment to premiere the film on VOD before it hits limited theaters/DVD/Blu Ray. On the 29th of this month, that’s 3 days a way, everyone will finally have the chance to see this film, and decide if it’s worthy of the praise it’s received. Jesse Bartel, a staff writer and administrator here at The Liberal Dead had the opportunity to see the film on the big screen over the weekend. Expect a review from him very soon.

Due to unprecedented consumer demand, Image Entertainment announces that the highly anticipated horror anthology Chillerama will be available on video-on-demand and movies-on-demand starting Thursday, September 29th.

Produced by ArieScope Pictures and in the spirit of classic “omnibus” films like Dead of Night, Tales From the Crypt, Creepshow and Twilight Zone: The Movie, with four vignettes that not only celebrate the golden age of B horror schlock but also nearly the entire history of horror cinema itself, CHILLERAMA offers something for every bad taste. With titles like “Wadzilla,” “I Was A Teenage Werebear,” The Diary of Anne Frankenstein,” and “Zom-B-Movie,” CHILLERAMA features appearances by Joel David Moore (Avatar, Hatchet), Lin Shaye (Insidious), Ray Wise (X-Men: First Class), Kane Hodder (Hatchet and Hatchet II), Eric Roberts (The Dark Knight, Sharktopus) and more cameos than one can (body)count. From the depraved minds of directors Adam Rifkin (Detroit Rock City, The Dark Backward), Tim Sullivan (2001 Maniacs, Driftwood), Adam Green (Hatchet, Frozen), and Joe Lynch (Wrong Turn 2, Knights of Badassdom), CHILLERAMA is a festival of gore, guts, goofiness and good times.
It’s the closing night at the last drive-in theater in America and Cecil B. Kaufman (Richard Riehle, Bridesmaids, Hatchet) has planned the ultimate marathon of lost film prints to unleash upon his faithful cinephile patrons. Four films so rare that they have never been exhibited publicly on American soil until this very night! What could possibly go wrong? For more information about the film, check out www.chillerama.com.

Please consult your local cable systems or satellite provider for more information about Chillerama on VOD.

God that looks fun. I was hoping Amazon would get it as a theatrical pre-release, but no.
Old 09-29-11, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 755 Likes on 492 Posts

All right, I'm going slightly off topic here but might as well bring some of it up in case I'm bitching during the month about the weather or bugs. This will be the first challenge where I will have my ever evolving outdoor theater. Yay! I also have a new group of friends who are really excited about this challenge. They have dubbed their own participation in my viewings as their Horror Outdoor Film Festival, or HOFF. But I'm really happy that they're making requests and getting really into it.

And since I put in an HDMI/optical audio wall plate in, I've pretty much shifted most of my viewing to the outside. It's nice to have the big screen, and the dog loves it. Fortunately, I live in South Texas where it's pretty much always hot and humid and I can basically sit outside year round. Anyway, because of that, I imagine the back yard may become a character in my challenge this year, which is why I bring it up.

I also bring it up because Chad had said he was interested in seeing some pictures. I'll put some of those in spoiler tags because I realize this is going off topic, but some might get a kick of seeing them or hearing a little about the technical specs. And yes, my main pic for my list is probably going to be one of these.

Spoiler:

Well, here's my back yard. I'll just include a few pics and figured I would give a little bit of technical specs for those who might be interested. I ended up with an Optoma projector. It's only 720p, but I liked that it was 3D capable with a converter box. Granted, that box is like $250 and I haven't been able to justify buying it yet, but when I do, I think the big screen would make the 3D a better investment than if I just had a 3D TV.

The audio situation isn't the best, but it's pretty good. I have an old receiver out there. It has one optical input. I also have 3 old speakers. They aren't outdoor ones, so I have to put them up every night. A bit of an inconvenience, and as humid as it is down here, I'm sure they won't last too long. For now, it's more than adequate, though. Eventually, I obviously want to buy some outdoor speakers and have something I can just leave in place.

As for the screen, I'm using a blank piece of vinyl, like what is used for outdoor signs. I use the back because I read the shiny front side will reflect the light back. Needless to say, it works incredibly well. I mean, it really looks like a real screen, and it's outdoor material. I have a friend who knows a guy who owns a sign shop. He ordered the vinyl for me. $75 for an 8' x 12' blank vinyl sign.

The stand was difficult to manage. It's windy down here. We regularly get gusts in the 40-55 mph range. We built a structure of PVC pipes that were anchored with buckets filled with concrete. Then we anchored it down with ropes. It would do OK for a time, but I could never get the screen taut. It was just too big, too much to manage, and there was no backing to the screen. No backing created a slight content worry for me. I realized that the other side of the screen showed an almost perfect reverse projected image of whatever I was watching on the other side of the screen. Great. I'm sure my neighbors with kids would appreciate some of my choices in films and TV. Yikes.

But technically that meant I had nothing to really get the screen tight; it also meant that it was a huge fucking sail in my big back yard. The PVC couldn't withstand the wind. It would be all right for a week or so, but it would always end up toppling. It doesn't help that the ground isn't level and shifts the buckets, either. So, we finally built something permanent.

Four 4x4x12 posts cemented into the ground. Then we got big outdoor grade sheets of plywood and screwed them onto the posts. From there, it was easy because we had already stapled wooden posts through the width of the screen to help get some balance and sturdiness with the old stand. The new stand is now *very* secure. It's nice not to have to come home from work and worry that the screen had toppled over. Anyway, for those of you who have read all of this, wow. Congratulations for getting to the end. Anyway, I don't mean to derail things, but I'm always happy to talk about it if anyone has any questions. Thanks for excusing my little diversion.

Old 09-29-11, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ Dude, that's freakin' awesome. How close are your neighbors? I could never get away with that (especially showing horror films).

My one suggestion: You really need to upgrade some of your seating options.
Old 09-30-11, 12:24 AM

So does anyone count Dexter for this challenge now that TV is allowed? I've missed the most recent season completely and wouldn't mind catching back up.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.