What to do with my dvds?

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 12:33 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 678 Likes on 454 Posts
Re: What to do with my dvds?

Originally Posted by supermike07
Where'd you get 1,000 slim dvd cases?
I checked prices at ten or so companies, and bought from a few different, but I think I ended up getting most of them from Meritline. They had decent prices and frequent 17-25% coupons.
Old 05-17-11, 12:53 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mdnitoil
I'm using these large 900 disc capacity cases. The sleeve are double sided and numbered. They hang in rows built into the case. The sleeves also have the soft material in the back. I find they're perfect for storing large amounts as long as they are single sided discs. The soft backing only protects one side, with the label side showing through the outer plastic. So far I haven't had any issues whatsoever with scratching. Frankly, I'm still trying to figure out just how badly you'd have to mishandle things in order to scratch the discs.
That sounds wonderful to me, I would love to be able to do that, my only problem then would be where to store the original boxes.
Old 05-18-11, 07:25 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lt. Brannigan
That sounds wonderful to me, I would love to be able to do that, my only problem then would be where to store the original boxes.
Well, I took the in for a penny, in for a pound approach. I track in DVD Profiler which case and slot number a given disc is stored. When I fill a case, I then generate a custom report that includes cover images, overview, and other relevant information in alphabetical title order. I take the report to Kinkos and have it printed out and bound and then store it inside the case. After that, I trash the packaging. Now, there are certain titles that I prefer to leave on the shelf just as they are, Criterions for example. For the most part though, the packaging is pretty darn vanilla and it's what's costing me the most grief with regards to storage. Whether I try to put all the cases on shelves, or box them all up and shove them in a closet, they still take up a crapload of space. At some point, I just had to decide what my priority was, and if I wanted a big collection (3000+), then the packaging would have to go.
Old 05-18-11, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

throw em away and join the blu-ray revolution!!
Old 05-18-11, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

I had my cd collection in binders years ago. After having to rebuy a number of cds, I will never do that again. The simple act of putting a disc in and out of the sleeve scratches them.
Instead of the binders, I went the thinpak route. Everything 2 discs and under is in a 7mm case. Everything 3-6 discs is in a standard width dvd case. Cut the shelf space used in half.
Old 05-18-11, 12:15 PM
Banned

Another option (not for me) is to use Blu-ray cases for DVDs. I have a friend who actually did this with his ~500 DVD collection, he separates his blu-ray discs from the dvds anyway. The cases are shorter and slimmer but it would be too much work to convert over 2,000 DVDs, and the cases cost more than the average DVD slimpack case.
Old 05-18-11, 12:34 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I took the in for a penny, in for a pound approach. I track in DVD Profiler which case and slot number a given disc is stored. When I fill a case, I then generate a custom report that includes cover images, overview, and other relevant information in alphabetical title order. I take the report to Kinkos and have it printed out and bound and then store it inside the case. After that, I trash the packaging. Now, there are certain titles that I prefer to leave on the shelf just as they are, Criterions for example. For the most part though, the packaging is pretty darn vanilla and it's what's costing me the most grief with regards to storage. Whether I try to put all the cases on shelves, or box them all up and shove them in a closet, they still take up a crapload of space. At some point, I just had to decide what my priority was, and if I wanted a big collection (3000+), then the packaging would have to go.

I am slightly obsessive compulsive about my cases and I can't bring myself to throw them away. But on the other hand I am more obsessed with eliminating clutter.

Exploring all the other options and experiencing horrible things with binders (Mostly because being such a idiot I thought they were all the same), I am looking for a viable alternative to shrink down the size of my collection. And those cases look nice. how long have you been using the cases?
Old 05-18-11, 12:53 PM

I am slightly obsessive compulsive about my cases and I can't bring myself to throw them away. But on the other hand I am more obsessed with eliminating clutter.

Exploring all the other options and experiencing horrible things with binders (Mostly because being such a idiot I thought they were all the same), I am looking for a viable alternative to shrink down the size of my collection. And those cases look nice. how long have you been using the cases?
About a year now. Unlike the binders, the sleeves are suspended from rails so there is no accumulative weight on any given disc, depending on it's position in the binder. For me, one of the side benefits of going this route was that it opened the door to used product. Ex-rentals with stickers all over the case? Not a problem since I'm just going to trash the case anyway.
Old 05-18-11, 02:12 PM
Cool New Member

About a year now. Unlike the binders, the sleeves are suspended from rails so there is no accumulative weight on any given disc, depending on it's position in the binder. For me, one of the side benefits of going this route was that it opened the door to used product. Ex-rentals with stickers all over the case? Not a problem since I'm just going to trash the case anyway.
The fact that there would be no accumulated weight is a very attractive thought to me. So one year and no problems? Anything that I should be wary of?
Old 05-18-11, 05:45 PM

The fact that there would be no accumulated weight is a very attractive thought to me. So one year and no problems? Anything that I should be wary of?
Just the fact that the sleeves only effectively protect one side of the disc. Any flippers should not be stored in these. Still, I've filled three cases and was able to take a basement that was practically overflowing and reduce it to a couple modest-sized shelves.
Old 05-18-11, 11:41 PM
Cool New Member

Just the fact that the sleeves only effectively protect one side of the disc. Any flippers should not be stored in these. Still, I've filled three cases and was able to take a basement that was practically overflowing and reduce it to a couple modest-sized shelves.
Then that sounds like the way to go for me. My collection isn't that big, but I have very little storage space, and effectively eliminating a cabinet sounds nice. Thank you for your time.