Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Do you still have the very first DVD that you bought/received?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Do you still have the very first DVD that you bought/received?

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-10, 11:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Do you still have the very first DVD that you bought/received?

Mine were Hard boiled Criterion edition and Starship troopers and I still have both.
Old 12-03-10, 12:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 121 Likes on 81 Posts

Yes. The Matrix
Old 12-03-10, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Still got it. The very first release of Tomorrow Never Dies in 1998.
I still prefer that cover to the other dvd covers that have been released over the years.
Old 12-03-10, 12:59 PM

Matrix for me. Still have it, although I upgraded to the HD-DVD Ultimate version when it came out. Never got the Blu version! Got four free movies with my brand-spankin'-new JVC DVD player in 1999, too. Lost in Space, Michael, Jumanji and one other I can't remember. 11 years later, and I have close to 1300 assorted DVD's, HD-DVD's and Blu-rays.

--JOhn
Old 12-03-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

My first DVDs were

I bought these at Goodwill, I think I paid like $5.00 for each since they didn't even know these were movies and sold them as CDs

My first full price purchases at Bestbuy were

After that I bought The Wedding Singer and for a loong time these were my only 5 DVDs. Also we didn't have a DVD player so we would all gather around the computer monitor to watch these in glorious High Resolution

I still own them all

Last edited by nando820; 12-03-10 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-03-10, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yes, and no...

My memory of "buying" a DVD (It was with allowance money) was Sphere, I think. I'm not 100% positive. I got rid of it to upgrade to the Blu-ray.

The first DVD's given to me were for Cowboy Bebop: The Complete Series. It was a bootleg, but back then my sister (who got it for me) and I were not aware of this fact. And she now has the set (I gave it back to her when I got the Remix 5.1 Surround Sound Complete Series Set). I hope she doesn't mind too much. I will say that owning that set, regardless of it being a bootleg, was one of the greatest things to ever happen to me in my many years of collecting and watching DVD's.
Old 12-03-10, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If memory serves, my first DVD purchase was The Black Hole, Fletch, and Halloween II. And all have since been upgraded...

I still have the Anchor Bay edition of Condorman, which I think was in batch #2.
Old 12-03-10, 02:33 PM

Yup, Blade, plus the player, and my 1st computer (Timex 1981, still works).
Old 12-03-10, 03:45 PM

Received 77 Likes on 59 Posts

Yes and no - Detroit Rock City and Mallrats. Mallrats was replaced with the newer disc, but DRC is still there.
Old 12-03-10, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Fight Club and Being John Malcovich were my first two, and I still have them.
Old 12-03-10, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 278 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by nando820
My first DVDs were

I bought these at Goodwill, I think I paid like $5.00 for each since they didn't even know these were movies and sold them as CDs

I still own them all
Pokemon The First Movie - all right! Best first DVD mentioned in this thread so far!
Old 12-03-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 334 Likes on 253 Posts

No it's not, cuz it's pan and scan!

My very first DVD was "Luminous Visions", a computer-animated thing with music by Tangerine Dream. Didn't yet have a DVD player but it also came with an audio CD. First DVD I bought with my player was Daylight, then (for the rest of the year 1998) Boogie Nights, The Wedding Singer, Sphere (a new release for under $15!), Halloween, South Park vols 2 and 3 (had the first on VHS, later bought the DVD and now also have all the season sets), President Clinton's Grand Jury Testimony (2 cents plus shipping from Netflix!), Beatles Diary. Still have them all (though Boogie Nights rotted, and since the first edition is out of print I had to make a copy from a friend). Got the better edition of Halloween a year later, and got Daylight on HD-DVD for about 4 bucks.
Old 12-03-10, 07:19 PM

Received 230 Likes on 167 Posts

I've still got mine, too--Scream, which my brother gave me for Christmas 1998 to get me to buy a DVD player. I had to wait a few months before I could afford my first player, a Pioneer DV-414, which I bought at Sears for around $315. That player lasted about nine years, and it would play anything that I put into it. I still have it in the back of a closet.
Old 12-03-10, 11:59 PM

It took me a good couple minutes to remember but I finally realized I bought my first DVD player in June of 2000 - the first day of summer vacation and bought "End of Days" and "The World Is Not Enough" with the player - they are still sitting on my self. I think the next DVD I bought was a couple of weeks later and was one of the reasons I wanted to upgrade: the "Nightmare on Elm Street" DVD Collection.

The first TV on DVD I bought was "Buffy the Vampire Slayer: Season 1"...
Old 12-04-10, 12:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Purchased in late 1997 or early 1998 with my first player from Best Buy.

Don't have the player, but still have this disc snapper case and all.
Old 12-07-10, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yep, Sleepy Hollow that I bought the summer of 2000 a week or two before buying my first DVD player. Still have that DVD player hooked up to a bedroom TV that never gets used.
Old 12-07-10, 10:55 AM

Nope. I started buying DVD in November of 1998... the first two I picked up were The Wedding Singer and First Blood. The Wedding singer was replaced a few years back because I hated having the snapper case, so when it hit the $5bin at walmart, I figured the five bucks was worth easing my nerd rage by having one less snapper case.

First blood, on the other hand, was replaced last year when I bought the Rambo blu boxed set. I think I traded it in for a dollar or something.

I do, however, still have my first blu. I'm sure that'll get replaced sometime in the next couple years though. It's the '78 Halloween (you know how anchor bay likes to keep pumping out new editions). I picked it up a few years back.... probably 5 months before I even owned a BD player.
Old 12-07-10, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The video store I managed was the first in our area to carry DVDs when they first came out. I talked the owner into buying them and then had to keep telling her they would be the next big thing even though no one knew what they were. She kind of freaked out when none rented in the first month we had them.

I figured I should get a DVD player so I could recommend them to my customers. I went to 6th Avenue on Rt. 4 in NJ in a massive snowstorm and picked out a Toshiba model for $499. I didn't buy any DVDs because we had between 50-75 discs in the store I could just take home whenever I wanted. My friend was driving so when we got back in the car I opened up the box to read the instructions and found food stains on the book, the batteries were already in the remote, and the wires didn't have twist ties on them. We made a u-turn and went right back to the store to exchange it for a new one. I put the box on the counter and tell the manager what happened. He starts walking around the box asking how I know it was a used player and not new. I explain everything to him and tell him I want a new one plus I want his main office number so I can call to complain. He gives me a new player and tells me to pick out a free DVD for my trouble. I was in a rush so I picked out Disturbing Behavior with Katie Holmes. So that was my first DVD but the player had a deal where you get 5 free DVDs so I also got The Right Stuff, Eraser, Lost In Space, Seven, and one more that I can't remember. I do remember they all came in the cardboard cases.

My first DVD purchases would have been Austin Powers, Wild Things, and Tremors. I still have all of them but I did trade-in The Right Stuff and Lost In Space from the freebies.
Old 12-07-10, 11:42 AM

I sure do. Season 1 of Jeeves and Wooster. Still treasure it, too; the funniest of the four seasons. I bought it months before I got around to buying a player. People who only know Hugh Laurie through House are always amazed when they see what a brilliant comic actor he is.
Old 12-07-10, 12:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 329 Likes on 200 Posts

First BR I bought was Snow White for my mom and the first one I received was National Treasures (free from Disney Rewards). I still don't have a BR player yet, but I am up to about 20 BRs.
Old 12-07-10, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

I have one (Enter the Dragon) of the first batch I received for a birthday. But I only have the case--lord knows whatever happened to the disc, or how the case made it through 3 moves but the disc didn't.

Being a b-day present from (now gone) Mom, I just can't bring myself to chuck that case. I figure someday I'll come across the title used and just throw the disc in my old case.
Old 12-07-10, 12:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I do still have my first DVD.

The original non-anamorphic TITANIC DVD release in September 1999. It was why I wanted a DVD player in the first place (the whole movie on a single CD-sized disc where I can pick scenes like album tracks and no rewinding? That was fantastic to me) so I picked it up before I picked up my first player.
Old 12-07-10, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Yup. A Night At The Roxbury (08.28.99)
Old 12-07-10, 02:27 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My very first was the 10th Anniversary Director's Cut of Highlander. I still have it. Haven't watched it in about a year or so, but it's still there.
Old 12-07-10, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have the original release of A Charlie Brown Christmas, which I received from a Pepsi code contest back in late 2000.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.