Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) Pt 2

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Chad

Gives Bob a run for his money.
I always thought he looked like a kid version of John Elway.
Old 10-19-10, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts
Re: 100 Movies. 31 Days. The 6th Annual "October Horror Movie Challenge" (Oct 1-31) P

Originally Posted by Giles
can Eastwood's Hereafter qualify as a wildcard - I think the film is about afterlife and spirits.
Seems like a perfectly fine use of a wildcard to me
Old 10-19-10, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Thanks Chad and Trevor for the "attack of..." recommendations, I think I'll check out Attack of the Eye People. It just looks so... horrible.
Old 10-19-10, 02:12 PM
bse
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Planned to watch Matinee for a wildcard, opened up the DVD and there was no disc inside, first time that has ever happened to me, thankfully I ordered it from Amazon, who are sending out a replacement today via UPS.

Also, I'm not sure if it has been mentioned, a lot of the Masters of Horror episodes are on youtube, they are complete streams and not split up, sadly my obsession with extras will still push me to purchase the DVDs at some point, but its nice to be able to stream them for free for now.
Old 10-19-10, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning.
Received 1,077 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor
^ Also the hopefully awesome Attack of the Galactic Monsters also on archive.org.
Keep hoping

Well, here’s another one of those public domain titles but this one has an air of mystery about it. It appears to have entered into the Bermuda Triangle of cinema, vanished for years without a trace and then found floating adrift in the ocean of the internet or at archive.org. There is no information about this film anywhere but there and I thought long and hard about whether or not this could be called a film. From what I can gather from the description paragraph over at the archive is that this is actually a amalgamation of many B-Japanese films. Like a kindergarten cut and past project, whoever tossed this together grabbed whatever they could, tossed it all in a blender, hit mix and hopped a cohesive story came out of it. The verdict: well, kinda? Just how many films are in this 55 minutes of unrelenting Japanese madness. I lost count. Like many alien invader films before it, and ID4 after it, the plot is not a new one. Aliens attack earth, earth retaliates, earth wins…only here earth wins with the help of GODZILLA! Yeah, no kidding, Godzilla shows up via clips from his films to battle alien monsters the aliens (who vary in look depending what film they are using) fire upon the planet. Meanwhile, up in space, the poorly dubbed saviours of humanity wage a war of not so special effects across the galaxy. With the ability to use mainly the action sequences to the films of old, the film doesn’t let up as it strives to make some kind of sense. Like cheesy 80s movies, cheesy Japanese movies have always been enjoyable to me. This one is kind of like a Greatest Hits package. I did make me wonder, though, if I could just choose 10 films at random and try to make a story out of it that sort of worked. Here, you play along too. Here’s your films: Predator, Casablanca, Hoop Dreams, The Prince of Tides, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Gone With The Wind, Once Upon a Time In The West, The Sound of Music, Die Hard and Shaft. On your mark, get set….GO!
Old 10-19-10, 02:20 PM

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Would Gods and Monsters possibly count for this challenge? It'd be great to watch after seeing Bride of Frankenstein again.
Old 10-19-10, 03:03 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by cwileyy
Would Gods and Monsters possibly count for this challenge? It'd be great to watch after seeing Bride of Frankenstein again.
Would be a good wildcard imo.
Old 10-19-10, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom
I always thought he looked like a kid version of John Elway.
So true

Just broke 51 films

14 films more than I watched last year with 13 days to go!
Old 10-19-10, 03:27 PM

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
30 Days Of Night: Dark Days was so much better than I thought it would be. Props to everyone involved for keeping that completely pitch black tone.
Cool, I keep seeing this at the Redbox but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 10-19-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Thanks Chad and Trevor for the "attack of..." recommendations, I think I'll check out Attack of the Eye People. It just looks so... horrible.
http://www.imdb.com/search/title?gen...le=attack%20of
Old 10-19-10, 03:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ViewAskewbian
Keep hoping

Well, here’s another one of those public domain titles but this one has an air of mystery about it. It appears to have entered into the Bermuda Triangle of cinema, vanished for years without a trace and then found floating adrift in the ocean of the internet or at archive.org. There is no information about this film anywhere but there and I thought long and hard about whether or not this could be called a film. From what I can gather from the description paragraph over at the archive is that this is actually a amalgamation of many B-Japanese films. Like a kindergarten cut and past project, whoever tossed this together grabbed whatever they could, tossed it all in a blender, hit mix and hopped a cohesive story came out of it. The verdict: well, kinda? Just how many films are in this 55 minutes of unrelenting Japanese madness. I lost count. Like many alien invader films before it, and ID4 after it, the plot is not a new one. Aliens attack earth, earth retaliates, earth wins…only here earth wins with the help of GODZILLA! Yeah, no kidding, Godzilla shows up via clips from his films to battle alien monsters the aliens (who vary in look depending what film they are using) fire upon the planet. Meanwhile, up in space, the poorly dubbed saviours of humanity wage a war of not so special effects across the galaxy. With the ability to use mainly the action sequences to the films of old, the film doesn’t let up as it strives to make some kind of sense. Like cheesy 80s movies, cheesy Japanese movies have always been enjoyable to me. This one is kind of like a Greatest Hits package. I did make me wonder, though, if I could just choose 10 films at random and try to make a story out of it that sort of worked. Here, you play along too. Here’s your films: Predator, Casablanca, Hoop Dreams, The Prince of Tides, Plan 9 From Outer Space, Gone With The Wind, Once Upon a Time In The West, The Sound of Music, Die Hard and Shaft. On your mark, get set….GO!
There's a bunch of Japanese "movies" that do the same thing like this. They try to tell a story, I think, but they keep making them so they must assume they're doing something right.
Old 10-19-10, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

So, when exactly did the Disneyfication of Halloween take place? Driving to work this morning everything was smiling at me ...and not in an ominous way. Now there's inflatable Frankenstein creatures, ecstatically happy Jack-o-lanterns, LED light shows, straw-stuffed dummies on front porches without pitch forks, etc. And orange Christmas lights?!

Whatever happened to the rotting corpses, tombstones, people hanging from trees, killer scarecrows and all that jazz? Is this becoming a thing of the past? Is Halloween now officially a Hallmark Holiday? I'm sure the mass retailers (---> Wal-Mart) are to blame, but it's just so depressing. What the hell happened? Make it stop!
Old 10-19-10, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

So, when exactly did the Disneyfication of Halloween take place?
It happened gradually over the last twenty or so years, as the "moral majority" recruited a bunch of women to become vanilla soccer moms with no imagination. It reminds me of that Halloween episode of King of the Hill where the pious woman goes insane with Christianity and insists that the kids tour her religious-themed haunted house and Hank leads the protest.

We need more Hank Hills.
Old 10-19-10, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Talking about the sanitizing of Halloween reminded me, I meant to ask if anyone knows of a thorough web resource that tracks the number of kills, violent acts, swear words, etc. in movies. I know they're out there, and that they're intended to discourage "decent" people from watching a given movie, but I thought it would be fun to use their research to quantify how decadent my choices for this challenge really are.
Old 10-19-10, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

So, when exactly did the Disneyfication of Halloween take place? Driving to work this morning everything was smiling at me ...and not in an ominous way. Now there's inflatable Frankenstein creatures, ecstatically happy Jack-o-lanterns, LED light shows, straw-stuffed dummies on front porches without pitch forks, etc. And orange Christmas lights?!

Whatever happened to the rotting corpses, tombstones, people hanging from trees, killer scarecrows and all that jazz? Is this becoming a thing of the past? Is Halloween now officially a Hallmark Holiday? I'm sure the mass retailers (---> Wal-Mart) are to blame, but it's just so depressing. What the hell happened? Make it stop!
There is one house in my new neighborhood that has gone the extra mile to keep Halloween scary. Their front yard is filled with tombstones, rotting corpses, ghosts, zombies, spider webs and all the good stuff. It makes me really happy to see that. If I were in control of decorating my place now I'd do the same. I'm going to make it a point to go to that house before Halloween is over and tell them I really like it and I'm glad there are people keeping the spirit of Halloween alive and well.
Old 10-19-10, 05:23 PM

Even if Halloween is watered down I'm at least glad to see people celebrating it in any way. Every year I get worried about the number of houses with their lights out or general lack of festivities (even this year look at the lukewarm theatrical horror releases). Sure neon purple Christmas lights it's the way we grew up but it's at least something. Maybe it's not realistic but I wondered for a time if kids today would be able to enjoy Halloween as vigorously as I had. One year when we lives in a condo we decorated and bought tons of candy and no one trick 'r treated (granted the location sucked, but we had to try). Maybe as kids we were too naive to see the horrible commercial nature of the holiday (one year I was Wolverine and my wife is proud of having been Mrs Doubtfire, those are both pretty sellout).
Old 10-19-10, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

tonight's double feature:

Old 10-19-10, 05:41 PM

Watched Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary on Netflix streaming and found it to be a refreshing take on the Dracula mythos (it utilizes ballet in a silent movie format). Director Guy Maddin's hazy fast cut visuals are at time annoying (similarly done to Brand Upon the Brain) but overall the film is worth checking out if you're in the mood for something different. There's even some interesting social commentary about xenophobia and economics.
Old 10-19-10, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Watched Dracula: Pages From a Virgin's Diary on Netflix streaming and found it to be a refreshing take on the Dracula mythos (it utilizes ballet in a silent movie format). Director Guy Maddin's hazy fast cut visuals are at time annoying (similarly done to Brand Upon the Brain) but overall the film is worth checking out if you're in the mood for something different. There's even some interesting social commentary about xenophobia and economics.
Sold!
Old 10-19-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by josepotato
Cool, I keep seeing this at the Redbox but haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Definitely worth the Redbox Rental price. I liked the first film more, but appreciated this film's dedication to that great tone. The whole film I was waiting for that Blade-like moment, where some one-liner or bit of Comedy would break up the dreary mood. It really never came, which I loved.

The movie is quite fun for it's limited budget and it's sometimes silly looking vampires. Not sure if you know it, but Steve Niles was involved in the script writing for the sequel.

Also I just finished watching it again but I highly recommend Going To Pieces: The Rise and Fall Of The Slasher Film to all Horror fans. Great/fun documentary.

R.I.P Stan Winston
Old 10-19-10, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 87 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
tonight's double feature:

If my wife surprises me tonight and stops off to buy this, I may be watching this too!

I'm not getting my hopes up though.
Old 10-19-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So, when exactly did the Disneyfication of Halloween take place? ... Is Halloween now officially a Hallmark Holiday?
Is this the next trivia question?
Old 10-19-10, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Heh. I didn't specifically plan for a Canadian movie to view for today's theme, but of the last 30 movies that I've seen, at least 15 of them have been shot in Canada. So I would've assumed that any random movie I would watch today would qualify. And it just so happens that Smash Cut (Today's subset) fits the bill!

BTW, tomorrow night on the Bio channel is Nightmare on Elm Street:The Inside Story (Part 1) Anyone seen or know of this? It's listed as a 2010 production (Made around the same time as Never Sleep Again?)
Old 10-19-10, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

And the trivia question...

You're playing for the following recently released double-feature:

Courtesy of:

Name all the films in the "Three Mothers" trilogy.

Told you it'd be easy. PM me the answer. I'll hold a random drawing for all correct entries. You've got until 7PM Eastern tomorrow. Good luck!

Old 10-19-10, 07:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That one is easy. Makes me feel better after not knowing more than a couple on the last question.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.