DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-10, 08:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

Originally Posted by calhoun07
I will be buying Speed Buggy for sure. I watched that all the time when I was a kid.
Hell yeah. I loved this show as a kid. Definite buy.

I just wish the non-related but similar live Krofft show Wonderbug would be release in full. Who owns the rights to the Krofft shows? They would be perfect candidates for releases like this.
Old 11-15-10, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by N8 Storm
I was told by somebody that works in the DVD industry that the original Josie & the Pussycats bombed at retail.
If that's true, then it was because they released it without the freakin' LAUGH-TRACK, which was half the fun with that show! A laugh-track....for a cartoon! It was a riot! Even if the joke wasn't that funny, you laughed because the "laugh-track" made you laugh!

If they re-released it the right way, maybe they'd make a damn sale!
Old 11-19-10, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

TV Shows on DVD is reporting Pac-Man is coming early next year.
Old 11-19-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Buttmunker
If that's true, then it was because they released it without the freakin' LAUGH-TRACK, which was half the fun with that show! A laugh-track....for a cartoon! It was a riot! Even if the joke wasn't that funny, you laughed because the "laugh-track" made you laugh!

If they re-released it the right way, maybe they'd make a damn sale!
I know practically nothing about Josie and the Pussycats but I find it hard to believe that people would even know to research whether or not the set featured the laugh-track before buying just like I doubt that someone enraged by the lack of a laugh track would put a big dent in sales by telling all his friends to avoid the set.

The idea of a huge Josie and the Pussycats fanbase collectively boycotting the release over the laugh track would probably produce an audible level of laughter if brought up around anyone watching the DVD though.
Old 11-20-10, 12:48 AM

Originally Posted by movieman35
Pirates of Dark Water, I was just talking about how awesome this show was today. Here's hoping for Swat Kats too and my life will be complete.
Now I can Finally Die Happy:

Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera is preparing a manufacture-on-demand (MOD) release of Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron - The Complete Series Collection on DVD. This 5-disc set will be available exclusively from the WBshop, beginning on December 14th, at a cost of $34.95 SRP. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned. In the meantime, you can begin pre-ordering the set right away!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Swa...llection/14718
Old 11-20-10, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by PixyJunket
TV Shows on DVD is reporting Pac-Man is coming early next year.
Hell yeah! Now they just need to get Flintstone Kids out damnit!
Old 12-03-10, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I want Jabber Jaws
Old 12-03-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They're also doing more Yogi Bear movies, like the one with the Spruce Goose and one with Aliens.
Old 12-05-10, 11:53 AM

I would love to see a complete series release of Sealab 2020 via Warner Archive MOD!

Darby
Old 12-05-10, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Why, oh why won't they release the fourth volume of ANIMANIACS?!
Old 12-05-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movieman35
Now I can Finally Die Happy:

Warner Bros. and Hanna-Barbera is preparing a manufacture-on-demand (MOD) release of Swat Kats: The Radical Squadron - The Complete Series Collection on DVD. This 5-disc set will be available exclusively from the WBshop, beginning on December 14th, at a cost of $34.95 SRP. Package art isn't available yet, but stay tuned. In the meantime, you can begin pre-ordering the set right away!

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Swa...llection/14718
Grr... As much as I don't like the MOD program, I'm tempted to go ahead and order Swat Kats. I loved that show as a kid...

Originally Posted by Mr. Flix
Why, oh why won't they release the fourth volume of ANIMANIACS?!
If they're gonna finish Animaniacs, I really hope they do pressed discs.

Now I know damn well that IF they finish it, it'll be through this program, but I can dream...
Old 12-06-10, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Be prepared to get these titles in those new MOD programs as that's the way of the future for these titles and many others coming down the pipeline.
Old 12-06-10, 06:52 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by rmw650
Be prepared to get these titles in those new MOD programs as that's the way of the future for these titles and many others coming down the pipeline.
I will never find them for cheap at Ross and Big Lots if they release them this way. I can't pay those outrageous prices.
Old 12-07-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Texan26
I will never find them for cheap at Ross and Big Lots if they release them this way. I can't pay those outrageous prices.
Yeah that's a shame that you can't buy illegally-distributed copies that were supposed to be destroyed due to overstock priced so low that Warner Bros. couldn't possibly come close to making a profit even if they were officially distributed to said discount stores.

I personally think Warner Bros. should price all their DVDs and Blu-rays in the $2-3 range and then just send them to Big Lots for free. I mean, once you pay Big Lots their too-good-to-be-true prices it doesn't really matter if Warner Bros. gets any of it, am I right? That's a healthy business model that will lead to future releases.
Old 12-07-10, 11:16 AM

The irony, of course, being that they were more than willing to destroy the stock and get absolutely no money for it.
Old 12-07-10, 11:40 AM

My understanding is that the companies can write off the discarded inventory, which reduces their expenses, and thus raises profit.

So, in a way, they were compensated for dumping these DVDs.

At least that is how I understand it.
Old 12-07-10, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Steve
My understanding is that the companies can write off the discarded inventory, which reduces their expenses, and thus raises profit.

Also, having a $3 copy of an item at Big Lots isn't helping move copies of the same product at the authorized $15 price elsewhere. As such you can see why a studio would rather destroy their product than to have it sell for a price so low that nobody would ever pay full price.

Ultimately those Big Lots prices helped Big Lots and the companies that were paid to destroy the stock and illegally chose to sell it instead. It doesn't help Warner Bros. at all and as such it doesn't help the same consumers in this thread who are whining about these MOD programs because this Big Lots situation certainly isn't helping these obscure shows when it comes to the kind of sales required to justify future releases.

I think the whole Big Lots thing with the should-have-been-destroyed stock is an icolated incident when it comes to the big picture but part of what undoubtedly appeals to studios when doing these MOD programs is the ability to eliminate the circumstances that led to the Big Lots thing in the first place. They don't have to worry about unsold stock because there is no unsold stock.
Old 12-07-10, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by Steve

As long as an item is in your inventory, available for sale, you can't declare a profit or loss on the item, no matter how much it cost to manufacture. Manufacturers have a formula for allocating their costs among their merchandise items, so if you had $100,000 in materials and labor costs and manufactured 1,000 widgets, your cost per widget is $100.

Even though you've spent that money, you can't deduct it on your taxes because the item is still in your inventory (you can deduct indirect costs which aren't allocated for any particular item). If you eventually sell a widget for $200, you declare income of $100 on the widget in the year you sell it, which may or may not be the year you incurred the cost. If you sell the widget for $50, you declare a loss of $50 on the widget in that year.

So, if a manufacturer or retailer is sitting with a ton of white elephant merchandise, it can sell the stuff off at whatever price it can get or scrap it entirely and write the whoe cost off. That's why you see a lot of year-end clearance sales. If the retailer has the item in its inventory on Dec. 31, it won't be able to take the loss on its taxes. By selling it for anything it can get, the company generates revenue and helps itself from a tax standpoint.
Old 12-07-10, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Also, having a $3 copy of an item at Big Lots isn't helping move copies of the same product at the authorized $15 price elsewhere. As such you can see why a studio would rather destroy their product than to have it sell for a price so low that nobody would ever pay full price.

Ultimately those Big Lots prices helped Big Lots and the companies that were paid to destroy the stock and illegally chose to sell it instead. It doesn't help Warner Bros. at all and as such it doesn't help the same consumers in this thread who are whining about these MOD programs because this Big Lots situation certainly isn't helping these obscure shows when it comes to the kind of sales required to justify future releases.

I think the whole Big Lots thing with the should-have-been-destroyed stock is an icolated incident when it comes to the big picture but part of what undoubtedly appeals to studios when doing these MOD programs is the ability to eliminate the circumstances that led to the Big Lots thing in the first place. They don't have to worry about unsold stock because there is no unsold stock.
Walmart's been selling $5 DVDs for a long, long time. I've found cheap DVDs (below $5) on Amazon and at Deep Discount. Forget DVDs, most products get sold below full price. And, yes, some items get closed out and sold for pennies but usually after the majority of the stock has been sold at a highter price. I don't think consumers should feel guilty for wanting to get a deal. For every "cheap" disc I've bought, I've paid much higher for several others. And, I've read plenty of posts announcing when MODs are on sale and it's a good time to buy, and I see nothing wrong with that. That's why I read a lot of these threads, to find the deals when they happen. If you want to pay full price, go ahead.
Old 12-07-10, 07:59 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Guru Askew
Yeah that's a shame that you can't buy illegally-distributed copies that were supposed to be destroyed due to overstock priced so low that Warner Bros. couldn't possibly come close to making a profit even if they were officially distributed to said discount stores.

I personally think Warner Bros. should price all their DVDs and Blu-rays in the $2-3 range and then just send them to Big Lots for free. I mean, once you pay Big Lots their too-good-to-be-true prices it doesn't really matter if Warner Bros. gets any of it, am I right? That's a healthy business model that will lead to future releases.
I wasn't necessarily talking about those $3 sets from last Summer. Ross and Big Lots and even sellers on Amazon Marketplace still sell so many cheap sets after the big retailers no longer carry them. The $6 CSI sets for example were not illegally distributed. These MOD sets will more than likely stay around the same price.
Old 12-08-10, 12:00 PM
Cool New Member

Beetlejuice!

Beetlejuice!!

Beetlejuice!!!

...is high on my wishlist.
Old 12-12-10, 08:45 PM

Gilligan coming out in the spring:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/New...-Planned/14790

Saturday Supercade (at least most of it) coming out in 2011:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Sat...-Planned/14789
Old 12-16-10, 05:44 PM

Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch is coming in February.

From a Dukes review:

And for all you computer-savvy media geeks out there, the set I have was burned on Mitsubishi (Verbatim) DVD-R, judging from the ZExxx-DVR-etc hub codes, which is a standard formatting found on all of my 4x, 8x and 16x Verbatim DVD-Rs. Of course, Warner is using those special CPRM (copy-protected) DVD-R, so you can’t read the media ID. It’s really nice to see WB using the best optical disc manufacturer for their blanks! I can trust these discs to last decades, just like the pressed ones.
http://www.superheroes-r-us.com/2010...#ixzz18Jz8R8LK
Old 12-17-10, 01:08 AM

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

I don't care about these being DVD-Rs I'm just glad to see these classic animated shows coming out on DVD!
Old 12-19-10, 03:10 PM

Alright, if Wheelie and the Chopper Bunch can get a MOD release, then surely Sealab 2020 can't be too far behind! Come on, Warner Archives, give us Sealab 2020 fans something to hope for 2011!

Darby

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.