Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-11, 10:22 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

Originally Posted by burnside986
Theres that sense of entitlement again.

Niche titles dont make the companies money. It is not financially feasable for them to keep putting out product that dosent sell. Try not to get all uppity at a company because you think they owe you something for buying one of their products that turns out is not making money for them.
IF it was not for us, those big companies would not make any money at all, so YES they need to release all the series.

not a sense of entitlement, WE make them money, they need to release everything
Old 04-04-11, 10:24 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by Silverscreenvid
Shout Factory is about the only outfit that is producing vintage pressed titles at affordable prices. There isn't a huge market for this stuff (otherwise the big studios wouldn't have discontinued selling their own catalogue titles), so they have to watch the bottom line carefully. If Seasons 1 and 2 of a series don't sell, there's absolutely no reason to believe Season 3 will sell any better (in fact buying usually tails off for later years because of people who try an earlier season and don't like it).
WRONG, they discontinued/not release the old stuff because the studios are basically incompetent drolls, who have no idea how to market and be honest
Old 04-04-11, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by zla21
WRONG, they discontinued/not release the old stuff because the studios are basically incompetent drolls, who have no idea how to market and be honest
No, I think he was right, why would a company keep releasing a show if they are not selling? Believe me, I find it very frustrating, what I wish companies would do is just release a complete series of a lesser known show or even a show that has less fans. I am a huge fan of Coach and even though they just released season 4, it took them 3 or 4 years to get it out because it wasn't selling. Now they could have just released a complete series when it first came out and made the true fans happy, but I guess they don't really see the money in that either. But a company that stops releasing a series because it's not selling, makes complete sense to me.
Old 04-05-11, 04:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Yes, I know about Frankenstein Jr. and The Impossibles coming out. I hope you're right about the Herculoids.

Also, it would be really cool to have this on DVD:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hanna%E...uper_Adventure

Hanna–Barbera's World of Super Adventure

Hanna-Barbera's World of Super Adventure had an original half-hour broadcast run on NBC from 1980 to 1984 on Saturday mornings. It was a "package" combination of several different cartoons that originally ran from 1966 to 1970. These cartoons consisted of Birdman and the Galaxy Trio, Space Ghost and Dino Boy, Fantastic Four, Moby Dick and the Mighty Mightor, Herculoids, Shazzan and Frankenstein, Jr. and The Impossibles.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="480" height="390" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/lUVcSNmxIx8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Something else which may be a problem. The cartoons have been syndicated and reused in other shows. The opening and closing of the original shows may no longer exist.
Old 04-18-11, 09:32 PM

Covers for upcoming GoBots, Herculoids, and Mister T sets:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Her...-Planned/15269
It sounds like Mr. T will be broken up by seasons and GoBots will have a few volumes.
Old 04-21-11, 03:52 AM
RDR
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I don't remember Goober & the Ghost Chasers or Funky Phantom at all. What year were they on TV?

Just fyi...I got my Thundarr set in yesterday and my son & I watched most of the first two discs. Picture quality ran from crystal clear to moderate but seemed to be clear for the majority of the time. Very glad to have this set.
Both Goober and Phantom were from the early 70s. Both in the same style as the Scooby-Doo shows of the time. The thing I loved as a kid I remember was seeing The Partridge Family guest on Goober and hearing the voice of Mickey Dolenz on Phantom. They're both currently on my must purchase list.

I've seen all the posts on the quality of the WB Archive discs but honestly I have yet to get a bad one (I have between 20 and 25 total so far). While the early releases all used VHS masters to make the DVDs, the newer releases are fully remastered. The remaster of Phantom Tollbooth is gorgeous. I also just got a pleasant surprise on April Fool's Day when they announced they'd be releasing the 2 holes in my Abbott and Costello Collection both remastered (Rio Rita and Abbott and Costello Meet Captain Kidd---Finally!!!!!).

The $20 price only bothers me slightly when it's for a title I like or want to try but I'm willing to pay it for one I absolutely love. I tend to buy a few at a time that way shipping isn't out of hand and only buy when there are sales most of the time though. Usually, around April or May, WB runs a 5 for $50 sale with free shipping ($10 each) which is the best time for trying new titles.

The Universal Collection DVDs on Amazon had trouble during their early pressings but most of the newer releases are not bad at all. I just picked up Dragnet (the first movie with Webb and Alexander) and It Ain't Hay (Abbott and Costello) from their line and was impressed with both.

With all these new MOD Animated releases as well I'm hoping for a release of Tarzan and the Super Seven somewhere soon.
Old 04-22-11, 06:38 PM

I haven't paid full price yet for any of my sets. I always wait for a coupon code/sale to happen.
Old 04-22-11, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by N8 Storm
I haven't paid full price yet for any of my sets. I always wait for a coupon code/sale to happen.
Where do you find coupon codes for those?
Old 04-22-11, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by The Monkees
Where do you find coupon codes for those?
I haven't seen them for awhile, but I used to just use google and find them on those coupon sites or somebody would post them on a site like this. Warner Archive still has a good amount of sales, though. I remember animated sets being 17% off around St. Patricks day for example.

here is a thread on this site that people sometimes post deals in:
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-bargain...e-sales-9.html
Old 04-23-11, 01:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just want to see The Jetsons S2 V2 and S3 completed before the year's end by WB.
Old 04-26-11, 10:03 PM

May 10th-Mister T:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Mis...Season-1/15311
May-GoBots:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cha...D-Update/15314
Now-Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Fra...e-Series/15309
Old 04-27-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts

Will the GoBots be the complete series? I think that there were 65 episodes so they will need 8 or 9 discs too do a complete run of the series.
Old 04-27-11, 12:43 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
Will the GoBots be the complete series? I think that there were 65 episodes so they will need 8 or 9 discs too do a complete run of the series.
I think it's only the movie "Battle of the Rock Lords" I believe it was called.
Old 04-28-11, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by dvd-4-life
No. The first release will be the mini-series. They said that it won't be more than three releases, so I imagine the other 60 episodes will be spread across two releases.
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Cha...i-Series/15326
It will be remastered which is pretty cool.

Originally Posted by The Monkees
I think it's only the movie "Battle of the Rock Lords" I believe it was called.
It is the Challenge of the Gobots series that is coming out, not the movie. They said they aren't releasing the movie at this time. They didn't really say if they owned it or not.

Last edited by N8 Storm; 04-28-11 at 10:45 PM.
Old 05-08-11, 06:52 PM

Herculoids is up for pre-order (6/14/11):
http://www.wbshop.com/Herculoids-The...d=HANNABARBERA
It doesn't look like it has the Space Stars episodes on it.
Old 05-09-11, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If they do continue the shows, Space Stars would have its own release. They've had episodes where various characters would cross over with each other so it would make more sense.
Old 05-09-11, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Anyone remember a Warners cartoon that was some sort of weekly Olympics event? I have a dim memory of something like that. Although I think I'm mixing Wacky Races in there somewhere when I put too much thought into it.
Old 05-09-11, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Anyone remember a Warners cartoon that was some sort of weekly Olympics event? I have a dim memory of something like that. Although I think I'm mixing Wacky Races in there somewhere when I put too much thought into it.
Are you thinking of Laff-A-Lympics? It's Hanna-Barbera rather than Warner, though.
Old 05-09-11, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by coyoteblue
Are you thinking of Laff-A-Lympics? It's Hanna-Barbera rather than Warner, though.
Yes, thank you! Looks like no DVD outside of the first 8 episodes...
Old 05-09-11, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
They've had episodes where various characters would cross over with each other so it would make more sense.
There was a 6-part Space Ghost crossover that didn't make it to the dvd set. The original '66 Space Ghost show had two Space Ghost cartoons with a Dino Boy toon in the middle. The following year the show was just reran as is, except they made two more episodes with three Space Ghost episodes each. It was a six parter with all of Space Ghost's enemies ganging up and featured Herculoids, Mighty Mitor, Shaz-zan, etc.
Old 05-09-11, 06:17 PM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
There was a 6-part Space Ghost crossover that didn't make it to the dvd set. The original '66 Space Ghost show had two Space Ghost cartoons with a Dino Boy toon in the middle. The following year the show was just reran as is, except they made two more episodes with three Space Ghost episodes each. It was a six parter with all of Space Ghost's enemies ganging up and featured Herculoids, Mighty Mitor, Shaz-zan, etc.

Those episodes are all on the Space Ghost/Dino Boy complete series DVD set. The guest appearances (the three that you cite, plus Moby Dick) are very brief - perhaps a minute or so for each - and seem more like cameos than crossovers.
Old 05-09-11, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good to know. I've never opened it but somehow got the impression those weren't included.
Old 05-10-11, 05:59 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
I meant on the Space Stars series they always had some sort of crossover. Space Ghost with the Teen Stars team or the Herculoids. Herculoids with Ace and the Canine Dogs Space Patrol (and if they're still trying to say Astro from the Jetsons was one of them that's the dumbest thing ever) usually going up against Uglor.
Old 05-26-11, 06:44 PM

The Jetsons meet the Flintstones is up for pre-order on wbshop.com. Its release date is 6/14/11.
Old 05-27-11, 09:44 PM
Banned

It's not a cartoon, but I'd love for them to finish Night Court....if they ever decide to fix season 4.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.