DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-11, 07:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 182 Likes on 155 Posts
Re: Warner Archive releasing several animated shows soon

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I wonder why Marvel won't release their 60's cartoons.
Probably ,with the exception of Spider-man 67 and Fantastic Four 67,the animation is sub-par. That didn't stop region 2 from releasing them.
Old 10-04-11, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Evan Meadow
It has to. There's no doubt going to be people getting that going "Pebbles and Bamm-Bamm grew up, got married, and had kids?"

Cause those original specials as far as I know only aired once in syndication and then you never saw them again. I've never even seen them on either CN or Boomerang.
It's kind of weird they are releasing the 94 special BEFORE I Yabba-Dabba Do and Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby since it takes place AFTER those two specials. Pebbles & Bamm-Bamm have their twins with them at the end of the special.

I love the 94 special I've never seen the 77 one, but I have this ordered and can't wait to include it in my Holiday Challenge list!
Old 10-04-11, 06:39 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

I think there were at least 3 Flintstones Christmas shows, counting regular episodes.

I think they all used to stream on youtube or AOLTV or somewhere, think I have them all on a disc somewhere....
Old 10-04-11, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
I think there were at least 3 Flintstones Christmas shows, counting regular episodes.

I think they all used to stream on youtube or AOLTV or somewhere, think I have them all on a disc somewhere....
I know there was an episode in season 5(?) called "Christmas Flintstone" that the "A Flintstone Christmas Carol" DVD claimed it was a rare episode where Fred rides with Santa or something along those lines during Christmas Eve and he has some song that goes "Merry Christmas is my favorite time of year".
Old 01-15-13, 10:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kids comes out today, while The Completely Mental Misadventures of Ed Grimley: The Complete Series comes out 1/29.
Old 01-15-13, 10:30 PM

Hmm, that Ed Grimley series is halfway interesting and it's even more interesting to note that an episode of that was on one of those Saturday Morning Cartoons sets along with Flintstone Kids, so maybe we can have some hope that will come along soon! Especially now that they have released the 90s TV movies "I Yabba Dabba Do" and "Hollyrock-a-Bye Baby"
Old 01-27-13, 04:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

If I order the Ed Grimley set this week is there a chance I'll get pressed discs or is it better to just wait for a sale?
Old 01-28-13, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Lokimok
If I order the Ed Grimley set this week is there a chance I'll get pressed discs or is it better to just wait for a sale?
This page seems to indicate which titles are pressed. They must pull them off when they start burning discs. I just don't think they've added next week's releases yet:

http://shop.warnerarchive.com/catego...tSellersAscend
Old 02-12-13, 12:36 AM
Banned

Received 72 Likes on 54 Posts

Yogi's Gang: the complete series is coming to WBshop.com on February 19, and probably at some later unspecified date at amazon:http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Yog...e-Series/18059

Classic Media owns the rights to Godzilla, but has only released the first 13 episodes. Since they don't seem interested in releasing the other 13, I wonder if the Warner Archive will ever do so.
Old 10-29-15, 10:42 PM
Banned

Atom Ant: The Complete Series was released a few weeks ago:

http://www.amazon.com/Atom-Ant-Compl...words=atom+ant

http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Ato...e-Series/21589
Old 10-30-15, 01:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

Anyone care to comment on the quality of the DVD-Rs from Amazon on these products?
Old 10-30-15, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I'd love to see the complete Godzilla animated (the original). They're goofy fun to watch with my son.
Old 10-30-15, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

Originally Posted by grundle
Classic Media owns the rights to Godzilla, but has only released the first 13 episodes. Since they don't seem interested in releasing the other 13, I wonder if the Warner Archive will ever do so.
It's frankly insane to release programs like this.

You have twenty-six half-hour shows. Just release the complete series. I have no idea what is gained by only releasing half of it. It's thirteen hours of programming that could fit on three or four DVDs.
Old 10-30-15, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

For the most part distributors went away from dividing a show over irrational volumes. That was much worse in the early days of DVD.
Old 10-31-15, 05:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Often cartoon releases are for younger kids. The distributor wants to put out something under $10 that goes in the kid section of the store. Something a parent will grab for their kids to watch.
A complete series release is marketed more for adults, especially for an older show.
Looney Tunes Golden Collection are made for adults. A single disc Bugs Bunny release is for kids.
I like the 1960s King Kong cartoon show. The distributor put out two separate single disc releases with 4 episodes each. I found them in the kids section for something like 5.99 each. All the distributor was interested in was impulse buys by parents looking to pick up something cheap to keep their kids busy for a couple hours.
Old 10-31-15, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

Originally Posted by rw2516
Often cartoon releases are for younger kids. The distributor wants to put out something under $10 that goes in the kid section of the store. Something a parent will grab for their kids to watch.
A complete series release is marketed more for adults, especially for an older show.
Looney Tunes Golden Collection are made for adults. A single disc Bugs Bunny release is for kids.
I like the 1960s King Kong cartoon show. The distributor put out two separate single disc releases with 4 episodes each. I found them in the kids section for something like 5.99 each. All the distributor was interested in was impulse buys by parents looking to pick up something cheap to keep their kids busy for a couple hours.
The four disc, 40 episode Godzilla The Animated Series (based on the 98 movie) can be found for under $10.
Old 10-31-15, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
Anyone care to comment on the quality of the DVD-Rs from Amazon on these products?
I bought the Herculoids, Shazzan, and Frankenstein Jr. and the Impossibles on DVD-Rs, and all of them played perfectly. In addition, the picture quality was as good as any of 1960s Hanna Barbera cartoons that I bought on DVD, which are the Flintstones, Jetsons, Jonny Quest, Scoody Doo Where Are You, and Dastardly and Muttley in their Flying Machines. All of the cartoons on DVD-Rs look as good as could possibly be obtained from NTSC cartoons from the 1960s. Shazzan in particular is just bursting with super saturated color - way better than what you'd see on Cartoon Network or Boomerang before they were restored.

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I'd love to see the complete Godzilla animated (the original). They're goofy fun to watch with my son.
The 13 unrelased episodes (as well as the 13 that have been released) can be seen here:

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Godzilla

Among the 13 unreleased ones, I especially recommend "Calico Clones," "Microgodzilla," and "Island of Doom." I think even people who otherwise might not like the series would probably admit that "Calico Clones" is pretty darn impressive. But how does Pete manage to avoid getting hurt by the piranhas? And how come water doesn't fall into their glass cell when Pete escapes?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
For the most part distributors went away from dividing a show over irrational volumes. That was much worse in the early days of DVD.
Classic Media was the company that decided to release the first 13 episodes of Hanna Barbera Godzilla on three separate DVDs, and they came out long after Warner Bros had started releasing complete seasons of other Hanna Barbera cartoons. If Hanna Barbera had owned the DVD rights, I'm guessing they would have released all 26 episodes in one release.

Last edited by grundle; 10-31-15 at 05:14 PM.
Old 11-02-15, 10:45 PM

Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts

Keith Aiken (a noted Godzilla historian) just told me that Classic Media only had the rights to the first season of the H-B Godzilla cartoon, and that their license may have already expired.

I think our best bet for that show is to try to Shout Factory to license it from Toho.
Old 11-03-15, 08:21 PM
Banned

OK. Thanks for the info.
Old 11-04-15, 08:17 PM

Here's hoping for complete season sets of the Smurfs in 2016!
Old 11-04-15, 08:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Upper pylon 3
Here's hoping for complete season sets of the Smurfs in 2016!
If you have a region free player, you can get the complete series via Australia :-D They are beautiful sets!!
Old 11-30-16, 06:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

All seasons of Snorks are released by Warner Archive.

http://www.wbshop.com/search.do?query=Snorks