Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

1000 movies in a year(log)

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-10, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1000 movies in a year(log)

Ok starting today im going to try and watch 1000 movies before August 9th 2011. Ive see well over 1000 movies but not in a year, so this could be tough. They don't have to be new movies, but most will be. Im going for 50/50 really.

So maybe other people will join me, or even go for a higher number. But unless you have no job/school I doubt you can see over 1000 movies in a year.

Im thinking about adding TV shows as well, Since I watch a lot of TV shows i haven't seen I might do something like one season counts as two movies or something.
Old 08-09-10, 01:17 PM

August 9th 2010

Edit: thanks to MRSmearkase im going to try for 1000 movies so well see how that goes lol

1. Fight club - 5 star - Bluray
2. Dark city - 3 star - Bluray(first time watching, got it for 6 dollars, worth it)
3. Oldboy - 4 star - DVD
4. The Goods - 3.5 star - DVD
5. Young Frankenstein - 4.5 star - DVD
6. The Hangover - 5 star - Bluray
7. Snatch - 4.5 star - Bluray

Last edited by realfruitsalad; 08-11-10 at 07:57 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: 1000 movies in a year(log)

Originally Posted by realfruitsalad
Im thinking about adding TV shows as well, Since I watch a lot of TV shows i haven't seen I might do something like one season counts as two movies or something.
I applaud your effort, but are you attempting to watch 1,000 movies, or 1,000 DVDs?

I only ask because if movies are your intention, than it doesn't make any sense to include TV shows.

Just stick to a DVD-based goal would be my suggestion.

Also, I'm not sure how you are planning on keeping track of them all, but you could always add a post in the Rank 'Em As You See 'Em in Movie Talk, and edit your post every few days with what you have watched.

Best of luck and welcome to the boards!

Last edited by MrSmearkase; 08-09-10 at 01:35 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 01:42 PM

ya i might edit that first post and try it with movies, winter time is coming so work is slow so thatll help add some movies
Old 08-09-10, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Joe Camel
Why? Is there a reason you're wanting to do this?

You'll get to a point where you'll be watching movies for the sake of watching. Better to modify it to '100 movies in a year' and read a book and go out more often...
no reason, just love movies. i doubt ill get to 1000 but during the winter my job shuts down so i have 4 months to do nothing really. I get out plenty, but it doesnt stop me from watching a movie or two a day after work.
Old 08-09-10, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

it doesnt stop me from watching a movie or two a day after work.
You need to average 3 a day. I bet you are behind the pace needed to get to a 1000 within a month
Old 08-09-10, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury
You need to average 3 a day. I bet you are behind the pace needed to get to a 1000 within a month
just started today. and to get 1000 in a month id have to watch about 33 movies in a day. so unless im watching movies from the 1930's that are 15 minutes long i dont think ill make it. some days ill only watch 1, some days maybe 4, just matters on what i have planned for the day. I just put 1000 because thats a goal, 100 is to low.
Old 08-09-10, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

^ Think he's saying that you'll be behind the pace you need of 3 a day, within the next month.

Have fun realfruitsalad. And that's the key. If it stops being fun at any point, I'd adjust the goal.
Old 08-09-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

id have to watch about 33 movies in a day
That's a lot to do everyday for a year

It's actually about 2.8 movies a day. I think I watch a lot of movies but 1000 in a year seems really steep unless you're not doing anything but watching movies in your spare time since you'll need to catch up for the times when you out doing normal things like shopping and eating.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 08-09-10 at 02:17 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by cardsfan111
^ Think he's saying that you'll be behind the pace you need of 3 a day, within the next month.

Have fun realfruitsalad. And that's the key. If it stops being fun at any point, I'd adjust the goal.
Ya I doubt I get to 1000, i just didnt want to put 100 or something low. 100 would be way to easy. I have a bunch of movies that ive picked up and still havnt watched plus some old movies that i want to see. im going to watch pretty much every film i want to, i wont just watch any movie to get my number up.
Old 08-09-10, 02:19 PM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
That's a lot to do everyday for a year

It's actually about 2.8 movies a day. I think I watch a lot of movies but 1000 in a year seems really steep unless you're not doing anything but watching movies in your spare time since you'll need to catch up for the times when you out doing normal things like shopping and eating.
ya its going to be tough, itll mainly be a week thing since during the weekends the only movies I see are the ones that i see in theaters or if someone gets a new blu ray. but i guess we'll see. right now im starting out with a favorite, fight club
Old 08-09-10, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

One suggestion: if you want go for quantity, there are a lot of short movies that count as feature-length that are worth watching. B-movies in the 1930s and '40s were often 60-67 min. in length. The Roy Rogers westerns, many of which are quite good, usually clocked in at 67 min. each. The East Side Kids and Bowery Boys comedies were usually just over an hour, averaging 65 min. each. Low-budget horror was often around the same length, e.g. various Bela Lugosi films like DEVIL BAT, THE CORPSE VANISHES, and THE INVISIBLE GHOST, not to mention a non-Lugosi horror comedy like KING OF THE ZOMBIES (67 min.). If I had an assignment to watch 100 of these, I'd have a great time.

I do hope, though, that you use this challenge to see a lot of old classics that you haven't seen. Either old Hollywood like Capra, Wilder, Ford, Hawks, Huston, Minnelli, Wellman, Sturges, Vidor, Walsh, etc., or foreign filmmakers like Fellini, Rossellini, Visconti, Antonioni, Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Renoir, Resnais, Chabrol, Truffaut, Godard, Fassbinder, etc. Or my favorites like Peckinpah, Anthony Mann, Don Siegel, Phil Karlson, Robert Aldrich, Sam Fuller, and various Italian genre filmmakers like Bava, Argento, Corbucci, etc. Not to mention Japanese action filmmakers like Kinji Fukasaku and Kenji Misumi and Hong Kong filmmakers like Tsui Hark, Yuen Wo Ping, John Woo and Chang Cheh, to name a few.

Now, the big question that looms is: where are you getting these thousand movies? Do you have a collection of unwatched films on tape/disc? Are you relying on Netflix? Are you downloading from the web? YouTube? Watching them on cable as they're cablecast? Video on Demand? The venues you choose may dictate what choices you're limited to? Me, I have at least 1000 unwatched movies in my apartment, probably a couple of thousand.
Old 08-09-10, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
One suggestion: if you want go for quantity, there are a lot of short movies that count as feature-length that are worth watching. B-movies in the 1930s and '40s were often 60-67 min. in length. The Roy Rogers westerns, many of which are quite good, usually clocked in at 67 min. each. The East Side Kids and Bowery Boys comedies were usually just over an hour, averaging 65 min. each. Low-budget horror was often around the same length, e.g. various Bela Lugosi films like DEVIL BAT, THE CORPSE VANISHES, and THE INVISIBLE GHOST, not to mention a non-Lugosi horror comedy like KING OF THE ZOMBIES (67 min.). If I had an assignment to watch 100 of these, I'd have a great time.

I do hope, though, that you use this challenge to see a lot of old classics that you haven't seen. Either old Hollywood like Capra, Wilder, Ford, Hawks, Huston, Minnelli, Wellman, Sturges, Vidor, Walsh, etc., or foreign filmmakers like Fellini, Rossellini, Visconti, Antonioni, Kurosawa, Ozu, Mizoguchi, Renoir, Resnais, Chabrol, Truffaut, Godard, Fassbinder, etc. Or my favorites like Peckinpah, Anthony Mann, Don Siegel, Phil Karlson, Robert Aldrich, Sam Fuller, and various Italian genre filmmakers like Bava, Argento, Corbucci, etc. Not to mention Japanese action filmmakers like Kinji Fukasaku and Kenji Misumi and Hong Kong filmmakers like Tsui Hark, Yuen Wo Ping, John Woo and Chang Cheh, to name a few.

Now, the big question that looms is: where are you getting these thousand movies? Do you have a collection of unwatched films on tape/disc? Are you relying on Netflix? Are you downloading from the web? YouTube? Watching them on cable as they're cablecast? Video on Demand? The venues you choose may dictate what choices you're limited to? Me, I have at least 1000 unwatched movies in my apartment, probably a couple of thousand.
Im going to watch a lot of old films that I havnt seen, ive seen some but not all the ones I want to.

And the way im going to get these movies is from netflix, movies i own that i havnt watched, backed up movies that i have sitting around, theater and redbox. I have enough to get to 1000, just might not have the time lol. ok I probably wont have the time but its fun to try.
Old 08-09-10, 02:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

I am currently doing something similar but with a much less lofty goal. My plan was to do at least one dvd for every day of the year and write a review for it. I'm currently out of work with an injury so I gave up on the reviewing but I'm still trying to watch a lot of stuff. There are so many challenges around here, that I figured I'd do a personal one.

I started January 1st and I'm somewhere in the 230+ range, so I'm a bit ahead of the pace. It's been fun and it's helped me get my unwatched piles down a bit.
Old 08-09-10, 02:36 PM

Ya im just doing this for fun really, I all ready watch a bunch of movies, and I have a huge stack I havnt watched so might as well keep track. Like I said I doubt I get to 1000 but whats the point of putting a goal at a low number?
Old 08-09-10, 03:08 PM

I Will keep My Fingers Crossed I Hope You Make Your Goal!!!
Old 08-09-10, 03:10 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

1000 in a year is nothing. We've had people do 250-400 in a month!

But seriously, sounds almost fun. I try to average 1 per day, don't think I've ever done more than 400 in a year or 150 in a month.

If you want some order to your chaos, I'd recommend our DVDTalk Challenges. We have one pretty much every month, and the usual unofficial goal is to hit 100 for the month. August is animation month.
Old 08-09-10, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Trevor
1000 in a year is nothing. We've had people do 250-400 in a month!

But seriously, sounds almost fun. I try to average 1 per day, don't think I've ever done more than 400 in a year or 150 in a month.

If you want some order to your chaos, I'd recommend our DVDTalk Challenges. We have one pretty much every month, and the usual unofficial goal is to hit 100 for the month. August is animation month.
ya i might do those while doing my goal to 1000. I could get 400 in the winter time when I have no work. thats when ill watch the bulk of my movies.
Old 08-09-10, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by sniper007
I Will keep My Fingers Crossed I Hope You Make Your Goal!!!
thanks, I hope I make my goal.
Old 08-09-10, 03:41 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like a good personal goal! Hope you make it.
Old 08-09-10, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by supermike07
Sounds like a good personal goal! Hope you make it.
thanks, im working on number two right now. Im not going out of my way to make this goal, that would be pointless, im just using some of my free time to make it to 1000.
Old 08-09-10, 03:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

It's already been suggested, but I would suggest you participate in each of the monthly Challenges here. Figure, you're already planning to watch a ton of content; by adopting the theme of the Challenge, you're able to chime in on the discussions that go along with each challenge. And if you manage to hit 100 movies per challenge, you'll actually clear 1200 movies for your year! Plus, because each challenge has a different theme, I would think it's easier to keep from being burnt out over the course of the year.

Whether you do this or not--and of course, you're perfectly welcome to participate only in the challenges that really interest you; it's not like you're obligated to do all of them--I would also point you in the direction of ICheckMovies.com. It's a website that collects various lists of movies (top-grossing, award winners, critics's favorites, etc.) and you get to go through and check off the ones you've seen. Once you've checked a movie, it's checked on every list it appears. It might give you a sense of your progress, and you'll find a lot of recommendations that way if you're wanting to see things you haven't seen before.
Old 08-09-10, 04:00 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 904 Likes on 765 Posts

wait...did anyone notice the username? do we have another Dole employee on our hands? hmmm...

Last edited by OldBoy; 08-09-10 at 04:04 PM.
Old 08-09-10, 04:16 PM

Originally Posted by scott1598
wait...did anyone notice the username? do we have another Dole employee on our hands? hmmm...
nope dont work for dole lol
Old 08-09-10, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Instead of doing a date deadline, you could just chronicle your journey of 1000 movies, no matter how long it takes.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.