Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

The Final Destination SD-We get cheated again!!!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

The Final Destination SD-We get cheated again!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-10, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Final Destination SD-We get cheated again!!!

also, the bluray edition includes not only the extras, but the standard dvd as well!! so of you are really that desperate for the extras why not get that
version for just about the same price and should you ever decide to go blu
in the distant future you will already own the blu version!
Old 01-08-10, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Man with the Golden Doujinshi's Avatar

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve
In reality, there is no reason why all SD players shouldn't be recalled from the stores and only BD players would be available to the public. Seriously - what is the harm in this?
Really? That makes no sense. Ignoring the fact that stores will sell products that sell, not every company makes BD players. What about portable players?

The only real issue I ever had with blu-ray movies not having the same special features as the dvd is Spider-Man. You have the main company pushing this new technology and then put out an overpriced product that has zero special features on the first two movies.

To top it off, a $50 msrp for the third movie?

Things like that made me think they were going to kill off the format themselves. Thank god things changed.
Old 01-08-10, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the word "future proof" needs to be retired. It's retarded and makes no sense.
Old 01-08-10, 06:51 PM

Blu-ray should always have more extra content than standard DVD. Don't like it, buy a Blu-ray player... No excuses.
Old 01-08-10, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by toddly6666
That would have been funny if DVD never came to be but extras got popular - VHS boxsets:

VHS tape 1: Feature film (widescreen letterboxed version)
VHS tape 2: Documentary
VHS tape 3: Feature film with audio commentary voice over dubbing
VHS tape 4: 5 minuts of deleted scenes
VHS tape 5: Feature film (pan and Scan version)
Cassette Tape Bonus: movie soundtrack

All for the retail price of $99!
One of the last VHS tapes that I purchased was the Widescreen version of Scream. It came with a 2nd tape that was the full-length audio commentary with Wes Craven. It was the first commentary that I ever heard and I immediately fell in love with commentary tracks because of that...
Old 01-09-10, 10:37 AM

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
Really? That makes no sense. Ignoring the fact that stores will sell products that sell, not every company makes BD players. What about portable players?

The only real issue I ever had with blu-ray movies not having the same special features as the dvd is Spider-Man. You have the main company pushing this new technology and then put out an overpriced product that has zero special features on the first two movies.

To top it off, a $50 msrp for the third movie?

Things like that made me think they were going to kill off the format themselves. Thank god things changed.
Mr. Peepers. I humbly disagree. Panasonic releaded their first portable BD player over a year ago. It's a matter of time until all other companies follow suit. Doubt they are the only ones now. And how many DVDs do you really watch via portable machines? I doubt I see even 1% of my collection on a portable machine.

And while not every company makes BD players, today, that is true - I suspect most of the major companies have BD players, and smaller ones will follow suit quickly.

i think BD is here to stay. I went into Best Buy and was surprised that I had to really look to find the SD movies - there were rows and rows of blu-rays.

I really don't understand the resistance from a PLAYER perspective. It can play SD and BD, you can get them for $100. No need to get rid of any of your collection. As I said, if my system wasn't so darn old (and thus expensive to accomodate HDMI/optical technology) I would be all over this already. But the next time I need a player, it definitely will be a BD.

It's a shame, really, in my opinion. Moving to Blu-ray should have been the most easy, non-controversial, non-emotional upgrade of technology that I have seen over the last 10 years. Instead, there have been format wars, misunderstanding and resistance.

Last edited by Steve; 01-10-10 at 02:32 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 09:39 AM

I had thought about returning my unopened SD version to Best Buy and pay (hopefully) the $3 difference between the prices, but since I live about 40 miles from the nearest location, I went ahead and opened The Final Destination 3D.

I couldn't wait to view it!
Old 01-11-10, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 754 Likes on 491 Posts

Mr. Peepers. I humbly disagree. Panasonic releaded their first portable BD player over a year ago. It's a matter of time until all other companies follow suit. Doubt they are the only ones now. And how many DVDs do you really watch via portable machines? I doubt I see even 1% of my collection on a portable machine.

And while not every company makes BD players, today, that is true - I suspect most of the major companies have BD players, and smaller ones will follow suit quickly.

i think BD is here to stay. I went into Best Buy and was surprised that I had to really look to find the SD movies - there were rows and rows of blu-rays.

I really don't understand the resistance from a PLAYER perspective. It can play SD and BD, you can get them for $100. No need to get rid of any of your collection. As I said, if my system wasn't so darn old (and thus expensive to accomodate HDMI/optical technology) I would be all over this already. But the next time I need a player, it definitely will be a BD.

It's a shame, really, in my opinion. Moving to Blu-ray should have been the most easy, non-controversial, non-emotional upgrade of technology that I have seen over the last 10 years. Instead, there have been format wars, misunderstanding and resistance.
There have always been those problems with new formats and there always will. DVD should have been an easier sell than it was, but there were still VHS die-hards who saw no reason to switch as well as a completely unnecessary format war, although DVD's competition was so pathetic I would hardly call it a war.
Old 01-11-10, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I have kids. I have a van. As with many others, in such situations, DVD players are useful and cheaper than buying a portable blu-ray player for around $800.

I watch movies on portable players at least 3 times a week.

I have a bunch of Blu-ray movies. I'm not some DVD apologist. I'm just someone that thinks removing all DVD players from store shelves now is insane. When prices on BD get lower, great. Now, no.

edit: Plus you have to consider laptop and desktop drives. Those prices are still way too high. Eventually prices will lower and things will work out. Forcing it on consumers and talking every company into throwing away a product they make money on is still crazy.

Last edited by The Man with the Golden Doujinshi; 01-11-10 at 12:25 PM.
Old 01-11-10, 03:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by smurr05
Thats your opinion! Just because you don't like a particular film, don't go generalizing and cutting people down for their particular choice of entertainment!!! TO EACH HIS OWN! I only feel cheated out of not getting the extras the BD has, not the film choice! "Nuff Said"-
Easy there Francis. As you said, it is my opinion. And I am entitled to it. As you are entitled to yours.
Old 01-11-10, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by franks
exactly!

paid 2 bucks to see this drunk at a 2nd-run theater and it was quite possibly the worst thing i've ever seen in a theater. things did look up when we started watching the film as an unintentional comedy though. it amazes me people would run out on release days and buy this for repeated viewing. hell, wait 2 months and get it for $2 at blockbuster if you must.
Could not agree more. From all teh complaining going on here one would think that some Magnum Opus had gotten the shaft.

Last edited by jjcool; 01-11-10 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-15-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I understand now why this is the first of the franchise that did not get the same treatment on DVD as the others. Aside from some of the grislier moments, this has the feel of something you would see on Syfy. Just average acting, not particularly epic story, and some of the poorest CGI rendering I've seen in a major motion picture.

Still, it is part of the Final Destination series, which I do love, and we did get that really nice lenticular cover, along with a 3D version and glasses to view it. A decent overall package, and I'm glad to have it.

Hopefully, it will be the last, unless someone dreams up a truly fresh idea and executes it with the same intrigue as the original had.

--THX
Old 01-15-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by CertifiedTHX
I think I understand now why this is the first of the franchise that did not get the same treatment on DVD as the others. Aside from some of the grislier moments, this has the feel of something you would see on Syfy. Just average acting, not particularly epic story, and some of the poorest CGI rendering I've seen in a major motion picture.
So in other words, it went the same path that the majority of horror films go after so many sequels.
Old 01-15-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Mister Peepers
So in other words, it went the same path that the majority of horror films go after so many sequels.
Bingo!

My exact thought watching the film was "wow where this far into the series at this point huh" watching the truly horrible CGI and incredibly bland acting/story. I also have to say the deaths are not as "interesting" as they have been in the past
Spoiler:
mostly because they are not even within the realm of possibility anymore.
Old 01-15-10, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

You know what's hilarious about this thread is that I'll bet this same conversation was going on 10 years ago about DVDs over VHS. Everyone will adapt. Technology will always change, there is nothing we can do about it. Blu-Ray is taking over DVD, it's going to happen since everything is going HD now. By the time BD has it's chance something else new will come around and replace it. It will happen.