Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone up for the 1st Annual DVDTalk Criterion Challenge?

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 10:20 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts

I'm just at the consideration stage, not committing to running one, but gauging interest.

Considering that many of us just expanded our Criterion collection thanks to the nearly over B&N sale, and the new Amazon sale; I figured this would be a good time. September is my target, as October thru March are pretty much out thanks to the Horror, Holiday, and Academy Award Challenges.

I'm strongly thinking that a Criterion Challenge here should be radically different from the other DVDTalk Challenges. I'm toying with two "rules"/ideas to implement.

First, I don't think we want to encourage massive amounts of watching. Criterion films should be savored, not rushed through with five or more of them viewed in a day. I'm considering emphasizing a one per day goal, perhaps even penalizing people that watch "too much".

Most Criterion releases have hours of worthwhile special features, and many could take ten hours of viewing or more to fully experience everything on the disc. This leads into my second point/idea. The runtimes vary dramatically, and the special features are often just as worthwhile as the films. Someone who watches 'just' a 90 minute film and none of the extras, should not 'score' the same as someone who spends the 21 hours it would take to get through the entire Berlin Alexanderplatz.

Of course, these two points are pretty much contradictory. But with the creative minds here, I'm sure that we could come up with something unique to the other Challenges. I really don't want it to be about the numbers, with people watching ten films a day, or even three. I want the films to be explored and experienced, not checked off a list and rushed through.

Any ideas? Thoughts? Interest?

Last edited by Trevor; 08-03-09 at 10:42 PM. Reason: typo, though I'm sure there are more
Old 08-03-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Anyone up for the 1st Annual DVDTalk Criterion Challenge?

My five Criterions and I will sit this one out, but I hope the rest of you have fun!

Rob
Old 08-03-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think it's a bad idea, although those that don't have a large number of Criterions (and fall victim to Netflix's throttling) would possibly be at a disadvantage...
Old 08-03-09, 10:39 PM

im up for it
Old 08-03-09, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by RobCA
My five Criterions and I will sit this one out, but I hope the rest of you have fun!
Love the sig Rob! But then, I'm obviously hooked on these Challenges.

If my plan works though, you could watch 1 per day and be tied for first place until September 6th! And there is always renting, or taking Amazon up on their great sale right now.
Originally Posted by MTRodaba2468
I don't think it's a bad idea, although those that don't have a large number of Criterions (and fall victim to Netflix's throttling) would possibly be at a disadvantage...
Good point, but I'm hoping the "winner" ends up with no more than 50-60. Between our collections, renting, and the local library perhaps many could get in that range.
Old 08-03-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 375 Likes on 235 Posts

Perhaps I'm in a minority in that I don't own a single Criterion. And since I continue to focus on my unwatched pile, I'd have to be on the sidelines for this one.

I certainly don't want to discourage one from being started. I'll probably just have my own personal animation challenge so I can watch some of the sets picked up at Big Lots!
Old 08-03-09, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like fun. Sign me up.
Old 08-03-09, 11:25 PM

I'd love to be part of this even though I only have around 30 criterions.
Old 08-03-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Count me in. I need an excuse to start watching more of them.
Old 08-04-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

im in!

i imagine this challenge would feature a lot of discussion, analysis, friendly banter, and the such. ive been on and off watching criterion releases because i would sadly have to watch the majority of them alone. i know yous guys feel me.

trev, i like the idea of not making it about numbers, but that is one significant goal of a "challenge" no? perhaps something along the lines of making the challenge about something else then? kinda like that optional checklist i saw in the sc-fi challenge? i.e. watch one film from every decade and/or genre, director, country, heck how about one from every ten spine numbers?, and so on? maybe there is something interesting there?
Old 08-04-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd be in with my 10 or so Criterions... I haven't watched the special features on most of them anyways
Old 08-04-09, 12:19 AM

I can give it a go with my 25 or so.
Old 08-04-09, 12:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'd be in. I have about 200 Criterions, and some 50 of them are unwatched.
Old 08-04-09, 12:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Somewhere Hot Scoville Units: 9,999,999 Zodiac Sign: Capricorn
Received 811 Likes on 316 Posts

I'd definitely be interested, but not in September. By the time the horror challenge rolled around I'd very likely be considerably burned out.

Personally I think we need to space them out a little and allow some time for recovery purposes. Currently the closest gap between challenges is, what, 21 days between the Holiday and Academy Awards challenge?

Why not have it sometime in April or May between the AA and Sci-Fi challenge to give us a little breathing room?
Old 08-04-09, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by Chad
I'd definitely be interested, but not in September. By the time the horror challenge rolled around I'd very likely be considerably burned out.

Personally I think we need to space them out a little and allow some time for recovery purposes. Currently the closest gap between challenges is, what, 21 days between the Holiday and Academy Awards challenge?

Why not have it sometime in April or May between the AA and Sci-Fi challenge to give us a little breathing room?
I see your point, but...

1 - I don't see this as a challenge where anyone would be worn out. It's a group exercise where we concentrate our normal viewing time on Criterions for 30 days.

2 - I was thinking that the sooner the better, since Criterions are on everyone's minds right now due to the killer sales.

3 - I think that we'll eventually have several more Challenges, so spacing them out isn't going to be possible.

Just my current thoughts. Every aspect of this thing is still up in the air, but I really hope for it to be totally different than our usual Challenges, at least in terms of numbers.

I understand that having a goal is a key part of the Challenges, and 100 movies has settled in as the de facto goal for each of them. Maybe I'm the only one, but I want to get away from that sort of mass watching. Over three movies a day is A LOT, and seems even harder if you're talking mainly dense foreign films, and not fluffy holiday films or mindless sci-fi/horror. That hopefully doesn't sound elitist or condescending. Personally, silly B horror and sci-fi films will always be my favorite. But seriously, isn't it right that it is "easier" to watch a Godzilla movie, a Halloween sequel, or a holiday comedy than most Criterion films? Anyway, I'm thinking 2 per day as a max, and maybe 30 as the goal. Maybe even no counting. Just list what you watch and discuss. Ok, I'm probably getting too radical...
Old 08-04-09, 01:37 AM

I think I will also get my wife to join this if it happens (she needs a reason to watch them sometimes).
Old 08-04-09, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This would be a great impetus for me to go through all the extras I haven't seen yet.

I agree a Criterion challenge should emphasize quality over quantity. Maybe even call it something other than a "challenge."

Originally Posted by Trevor
I'm strongly thinking that a Criterion Challenge here should be radically different from the other DVDTalk Challenges.
How about this: Instead of a numbered list, we have a daily summary. Everyone has 30 entries (assuming it's done September) and reports what they watched that day. It could be the first disc of Berlin Alexanderplatz, the extras to Ran, the Man Who Fell to Earth novella, or the entire Cassavetes box set. There's no competition - it's just about exploring all of the Criterion stuff we haven't gotten around to before.
Old 08-04-09, 02:01 AM

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom

This would be a great impetus for me to go through all the extras I haven't seen yet.

I agree a Criterion challenge should emphasize quality over quantity. Maybe even call it something other than a "challenge."

How about this: Instead of a numbered list, we have a daily summary. Everyone has 30 entries (assuming it's done September) and reports what they watched that day. It could be the first disc of Berlin Alexanderplatz, the extras to Ran, the Man Who Fell to Earth novella, or the entire Cassavetes box set. There's no competition - it's just about exploring all of the Criterion stuff we haven't gotten around to before.

I like this idea, more of an exploration of what Criterion offers.
Old 08-04-09, 02:19 AM

That's part of my plan, to make extras almost as "important" as the films.
I agree a Criterion challenge should emphasize quality over quantity.
I've turned myself off with some of the quantity I've watched in the past.
Maybe even call it something other than a "challenge."
Hadn't thought of that, but perhaps you have a good point.
Now we're talking! And to spice it up a bit, implement checklist options like Hindolio mentions below.
Originally Posted by hindolio
i like the idea of not making it about numbers, but that is one significant goal of a "challenge" no? perhaps something along the lines of making the challenge about something else then? kinda like that optional checklist i saw in the sc-fi challenge? i.e. watch one film from every decade and/or genre, director, country, heck how about one from every ten spine numbers?, and so on? maybe there is something interesting there?
Yes, I was initially really gung ho about this, but we're a bit more limited perhaps, given that people's Criterions collections are typically going to be a heck of a lot smaller than any genre/Challenge collection.
Old 08-04-09, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

this is a very good idea and i would luv to be a part of it
Old 08-04-09, 02:53 AM
Banned

I'd be up for this but I only have a handful of Criterion DVD's. I have 20 or so Criterion Laserdiscs though. I could use those if that's cool...
Old 08-04-09, 03:15 AM

Originally Posted by cracksky
I'd be up for this but I only have a handful of Criterion DVD's. I have 20 or so Criterion Laserdiscs though. I could use those if that's cool...
Of course!
Old 08-04-09, 08:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Good idea, I'm definitely in for it.
Old 08-04-09, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm up for this. Absolutely.
Old 08-04-09, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

How silly.

Count me in for the Blue Underground challenge, though.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.