DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

observe and report - september 22nd, 2009

Old 09-22-09, 11:16 PM

Re: observe and report - september 22nd, 2009

I went with the Blu Ray on this one - I must say that it's disappointing how WB is going with this title. Not a good sign for future titles.

The digital copy is windows-only (and WMV - no itunes option here). While most don't care, I actually consider the DC to be a selling point as I have my ipod touch or iphone with me all the time. I thought all previous WB titles were itunes and WMV?

To make it worse, the disc requires you install their DRM software (and register for an account with them) before you can even access the content. The software runs in AIR, so if you don't have it installed, you'll need to.

The no-special-features on the DVD is disappointing, same with a WS/FS single-sided disc (not good for quality! Especially on a new-release. That's something you expect with older, budget "2 packs".

The special features on the Blu are in SD only - why? and if they're SD, why not put them on the DVD?

I haven't seen the movie but it sounds like it should be good - it's just disappointing to see how they went with this release (and likely future releases).

EDIT:

...within 20 minutes of trying to install the program:

Nice!

Last edited by SPIDERone; 09-22-09 at 11:29 PM.
Old 09-22-09, 11:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was gonna buy this today but I'll wait. I enjoyed this film quite a bit, but there isn't much on this version at all, a movie only purchase basically, courtesy of Warner.
Old 09-22-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm guessing that there is no chance of an actual special edition so I guess I'll get the DVD cheap and then upgrade to the Blu-ray version when I can.
Old 09-23-09, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SPIDERone View Post
The special features on the Blu are in SD only - why? and if they're SD, why not put them on the DVD?
The bonus features are only in SD? That's odd, the back of the box states they are in HD, as does the review at DVD Beaver....however, the Blu-ray.com review and the one here says SD, weird...
Anyway, they only used a single layer BD-25 disc for this release....so maybe even if the bonus features were produced in HD, they may not have been able to squeeze them onto the disc as such....

The special features are not on the DVD because:
1. Making them BD exclusive might increase sales or push people to upgrade to BD; it is simply an extra sales incentive...
2. They put both OAR widescreen and MAR full screen presentations on the DVD, leaving no room for any special features...
Old 09-23-09, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't know why, but I fucking loved this movie a lot. And it's the movie that made me go Blu, since they fucked over the HD crowd. Now I just have to wait for it to arrive from WBShop. Got it for like $12.50 after coupons. My "North By Northwest" preorder is holding up the entire order though.
Old 09-23-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Same here...damn WBShop. I'm gonna e-mail and tell them to mail out what they have.
Old 09-23-09, 12:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by mcfly View Post
You're trying to figure out a man who strictly reserves his theater going experiences to R-rated films over 2 hours in length. Don't waste your time.

Hates movies under 2 hours long/rated less than R, but has admitted to seeing both G.I. Joe & The Proposal in theaters this year, among others.
Hates Blu-Ray, but has at least 2 Blu-Ray boxsets.

Reading about chris gets better and better each day.
Old 09-23-09, 03:28 PM

I watched the trailer for this movie, and I don't know about picking this one up. :s Seth Rogen is a funny guy, but was this one any good?
Old 09-24-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by unskilledgymrat View Post
I watched the trailer for this movie, and I don't know about picking this one up. :s Seth Rogen is a funny guy, but was this one any good?
If you want to get more a gist of what you're getting into, watch the R rated trailer on youtube, as this movie is a bit fucked up and very dark at times and the regular green trailer doesn't show that
Old 09-24-09, 02:23 PM

Love Seth Rogan, like Anna Faris as well.

but this is easily on the the biggest pieces of Crap i've ever wasted 80+ minutes on.

there is probably 1-2 laughs, but the rest is complete garbage. it doesn't flow at all, feels like they start a scene or idea, and don't finish it/

I can easily see why this bombed as bad as it did.
Old 09-24-09, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I heard Kevin James was good in this one.
Old 09-24-09, 03:14 PM

I heard Kevin James was good in this one.
no kidding right?

Paul Blart is the epitome of the kind of film i'd never watch in my lifetime.
but i'm curious to go rent it now, to see how a Mall cop movie should be.

Paul Blart has to be the citizen kane of Mall Cop Movies
while this would be the Teen Wolf Too of the genre

Last edited by kbarkerok; 09-24-09 at 03:16 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this movie was genius, a pitch black comedy.
Old 09-24-09, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by kbarkerok View Post
Love Seth Rogan, like Anna Faris as well.

but this is easily on the the biggest pieces of Crap i've ever wasted 80+ minutes on.

there is probably 1-2 laughs, but the rest is complete garbage. it doesn't flow at all, feels like they start a scene or idea, and don't finish it/

I can easily see why this bombed as bad as it did.
best comedy of the year, sorry you don't get it.
Old 09-24-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow, a lot of people here liked it. I found it painfully atrocious and uneasy to watch. Not to mention not funny at all, and I tend to go for the black/dark comedies.

And, no...I was not expecting Paul Blart 2. I was expecting a dark comedy with some disturbing elements. It still didn't work for me.
Old 09-25-09, 07:02 PM

Wow, a lot of people here liked it. I found it painfully atrocious and uneasy to watch. Not to mention not funny at all, and I tend to go for the black/dark comedies.

And, no...I was not expecting Paul Blart 2. I was expecting a dark comedy with some disturbing elements. It still didn't work for me.
same here
love dark comedies, but i don't really see the dark comedy aspect of the movie. 1. it's not funny i.e. a comedy- and 2. it wasn't that dark at all.

it seemed like either it was rushed, or heavily edited-( i wont give anything away) just seem like they set a certain tone, or idea up, and they never complete it fully.

maybe it was rushed to compete with Paul Blart- but the movie seems unfinished.-

feel dumb for renting, after i did, asked a few people with similiar interests if they had seen, and all agreed, one of the worst films of the year.

- this was a movie, i even considered a blind buy for, cause i like Seth Rogan, and thought how could you screw up the premise- Well after 86 minutes later, i see how you could screw it up.

i think anyone defending this film is feeling stupid for dumping thier $18-25 on this purchase.

this had to be a blind-buy for most, as NO one saw this at the theater.
Old 09-25-09, 09:24 PM

It seems this is a love it or hate it type film. I loved it. I think this is my favorite movie of the year.

I think the people who hate this movie tend to hate any Jody Hill's stuff. This reminded me a lot of the Foot Fist Way.
Old 09-26-09, 12:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull View Post
best comedy of the year, sorry you don't get it.
I got it. I just thought it was the worst piece of shit I spent money on this year.
Old 09-26-09, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Blind bought this on Blu-ray today. Mistake for me as I didn't really enjoy it very much at all. I think Seth Rogen is sorta hit and miss in the first place and this movie is just a pile of crap in my opinion. Should have rented this first.
Old 09-26-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Seth Rogen is taking the fast track to joining the club of actors who are only decent under the direction of certain directors. Owen Wilson with Wes Anderson and Ben Affleck with Kevin Smith, for example. Rogen shines best when working with Apatow.
Old 09-26-09, 11:17 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

movie wasnt that good as it was. Was not too impressed. Cursing a lot and saying vulgar things is funny in the right context, this was just excessive. it actually got kind of depressing at parts.
Old 09-26-09, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by calhoun07 View Post
Rogen shines best when working with Apatow.
Disagree. Loved Observe and Report (then again, I am a sucker for Hill's dark sense of humor) and I enjoyed Rogen's work in Zack and Miri... despite Kevin Smith's weak direction and weaker script.
Old 09-27-09, 01:38 PM

bought this one on dvd september 22th at best buy, can't believe it was sold out at my target on dvd, got mine for 17
Old 09-27-09, 11:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel View Post
Disagree. Loved Observe and Report (then again, I am a sucker for Hill's dark sense of humor) and I enjoyed Rogen's work in Zack and Miri... despite Kevin Smith's weak direction and weaker script.
Forgot about Zack and Miri...he did a decent job in there. I still think he does best in Apatow's movies though.