DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

observe and report - september 22nd, 2009

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: observe and report - september 22nd, 2009

Originally Posted by mcfly
You're trying to figure out a man who strictly reserves his theater going experiences to R-rated films over 2 hours in length. Don't waste your time.
I know, I shouldn't. I have a habit for being a glutton for punishment.

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Well like I said. The blu-ray disks I own are Smallville Season 7 on Blu-ray and Mad Men Season 2. Both sets I am in no hurry at all to watch and will wait until i find a player for $99 or less that comes with at least 3 free titles. So, until that day I wont be buying a Blu-ray player. AND Even then i wont pay more for a Blu-ray title than I would a DVD version of the same film. So its up to the studios if they want my money.
Well for me, personally, I think it's a wiser investment to simply not buy titles for a format that you don't own. I didn't start buying Blu-Rays until I had my PS3. But that's just me.

Originally Posted by jjcool
Why do you assume that just because he doesnt own a blue ray player that he cant get any use out of the discs? Does one have to own their own player to play a blue ray disc? will his disc not play on esomeone elses blue ray player? Alot of assumptions/generalizations flying around this thread, and most of them are bullshit.
I assume that based on:

A) the fact that Chris has been so outspoken on these practices concerning Blu-Ray releases that it's become a running joke.

B) the fact that there is a significant minority of Blu-Ray owners compared to standard DVD owners (basing it on my own experience, I'm the only one of my friends with a Blu-Ray player; one of the reasons I've still been hanging onto any standard DVDs I own).

Anyway, this is starting to get out of hand. Getting back on topic, I didn't see this in theaters, but I'm interested in giving it a rental.
Old 08-03-09, 02:12 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

Not to throw more fuel on the fire but Warners 17 Again DVD is also 100% barebones while the Blu-ray is loaded.
Old 08-03-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will definitely be getting the blu-ray. This is my favorite movie of 2009 so far.
Old 08-03-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by GizmoDVD
Not to throw more fuel on the fire but Warners 17 Again DVD is also 100% barebones while the Blu-ray is loaded.
yeah, so will ghosts of girlfriends past and several recent releases like friday the 13th, he`s just not that into you, etc.
thats why were are all so pissed off about warner`s release policies!!
Old 08-03-09, 04:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by philip74
I think it's mainly just you and chris. There are a few grumbles here and there but I don't see anyone else getting really furious about it the way you two do.
Old 08-03-09, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I can just picture it now:
(teen/tween girl) "Mom, Dad, you just HAVE to buy me a Blu-ray player, even if we don't have a HDTV...I must see the Zac Efron extra features, he's so dreamy!!!!!"
Old 08-03-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I think it's mainly just you and chris. There are a few grumbles here and there but I don't see anyone else getting really furious about it the way you two do.
is that in your signature pic you?
Old 08-04-09, 10:45 AM
Suspended

yeah, so will ghosts of girlfriends past and several recent releases like friday the 13th, he`s just not that into you, etc.
IIRC they had BD Exclusive features but the ones released did have some special features. 17 Again and Observe and Report have nothing.
Old 08-04-09, 10:45 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by WMAangel

I can just picture it now:
(teen/tween girl) "Mom, Dad, you just HAVE to buy me a Blu-ray player, even if we don't have a HDTV...I must see the Zac Efron extra features, he's so dreamy!!!!!"
Believe it or not the film is actually decent. There are two BD-Live Commentary tracks as well (not available yet).
Old 08-04-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

is that in your signature pic you?
Nope, I am a guy (as evidenced by both my screen name and my actual name, Tyler Foster). My icon is of a girl.
Old 08-04-09, 12:24 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Nope, I am a guy (as evidenced by both my screen name and my actual name, Tyler Foster). My icon is of a girl.
ahh ok. girl in the picture seemed cute, therefore i wouldn`t have given a harsh answer. however, since you are a guy i will.....just kiddin`i won`t give you a harsh answer either
you are right, maybe some of us are more passionate about this topic than others. as i am still buying standard dvd, it just pisses me off for the principle.
i will switch when i want and not when companies insist i am ready
i thought that the main selling aspect of bluray is the spectacular high definition video. if companies have to pull such stunts to get people to switch, then bluray is in serious trouble
besides what is so hard about providing an extra special edition on standard dvd for the people who want that? they could even price it the same. would make more sense than a full screen copy.
that way i am sure they wouldn`t lose any turnover. i don`t understand why iz would make a difference to a company if they generate profits from dvd or bluray anyow!!??
i don`t think many people will switch formats just for a few extra fluff pieces!
the quality enthusiasts have probably all bought bluray equipment anyhow.
the MAIN thing that makes me so pissed is just how ignorant warner treats their customers!! not just because of this issue. they never answer any emails and generally don`t seem to give a fuck about what the customer wants or their feedback! standard dvd buyers are still their core income, so they shouldn`t offend that source of income so much!
Old 08-04-09, 12:49 PM
Suspended

They don't want to - very simple.

You have the option of buying a barebones (or close to it) DVD or the loaded Blu-ray. Get use to it. Studios want to make more $ and this is how they will do it.
Old 08-04-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

They don't want to - very simple.

You have the option of buying a barebones (or close to it) DVD or the loaded Blu-ray. Get use to it. Studios want to make more $ and this is how they will do it.
i still don`t see how they would make more money with it....
Old 08-04-09, 04:22 PM
Suspended

i still don`t see how they would make more money with it....
If you want to watch Special Features you will have to buy the Blu-ray. Blu-ray will cost more money then the typical 2 Disc DVD Edition (by $4-$10). If you buy the SE Blu-ray you are more likely to buy other titles as well (upgrade from DVD etc.) because you are now a Blu-ray owner. As a bonus, if you go on BD-Live they can collect information on you to sell (age demographics, what you watch etc).
Old 08-04-09, 04:45 PM
Banned

Yeah thats a real fucking bonus.
Old 08-04-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

ahh ok. girl in the picture seemed cute, therefore i wouldn`t have given a harsh answer. however, since you are a guy i will.....just kiddin`i won`t give you a harsh answer either
you are right, maybe some of us are more passionate about this topic than others. as i am still buying standard dvd, it just pisses me off for the principle.
i will switch when i want and not when companies insist i am ready
i thought that the main selling aspect of bluray is the spectacular high definition video. if companies have to pull such stunts to get people to switch, then bluray is in serious trouble
besides what is so hard about providing an extra special edition on standard dvd for the people who want that? they could even price it the same. would make more sense than a full screen copy.
that way i am sure they wouldn`t lose any turnover. i don`t understand why iz would make a difference to a company if they generate profits from dvd or bluray anyow!!??
i don`t think many people will switch formats just for a few extra fluff pieces!
the quality enthusiasts have probably all bought bluray equipment anyhow.
the MAIN thing that makes me so pissed is just how ignorant warner treats their customers!! not just because of this issue. they never answer any emails and generally don`t seem to give a fuck about what the customer wants or their feedback! standard dvd buyers are still their core income, so they shouldn`t offend that source of income so much!
Now that you've calmed down some, your argument sounds a lot more sensible. The same way you don't like Warner screwing SD-DVD owners over, I don't like hearing wildly exaggerated rants about how much Blu-Ray sucks (or, say, how anything that isn't 2 hours long and rated R is dumb...), which is what it sounds like sometimes. A calmer argument is a better one.

By the way, the girl in the icon is named Julia Nunes. She records covers and original songs on ukulele and posts them on YouTube. You can find her videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/jaaaaaaa.
Old 08-04-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I'm actually pretty mad about it as well but a long winded, poorly structured, poorly punctuated post with gobs of exclamation points isn’t going to help me. I let that anger build up inside where it can do the most amount of damage.
Old 08-05-09, 04:52 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I'm actually pretty mad about it as well but a long winded, poorly structured, poorly punctuated post with gobs of exclamation points isn’t going to help me. I let that anger build up inside where it can do the most amount of damage.
This is the rage that defines RagingBull80!
Old 08-05-09, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now that you've calmed down some, your argument sounds a lot more sensible. The same way you don't like Warner screwing SD-DVD owners over, I don't like hearing wildly exaggerated rants about how much Blu-Ray sucks (or, say, how anything that isn't 2 hours long and rated R is dumb...), which is what it sounds like sometimes. A calmer argument is a better one.

By the way, the girl in the icon is named Julia Nunes. She records covers and original songs on ukulele and posts them on YouTube. You can find her videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/jaaaaaaa.
just not to get things mixed up; i never said ANYTHING against bluray!
i am never against technological improvements and will probably switch
somewhere down the line.
just these silly ways of trying to push the format upset me. if the new high def quality doesn`t speak for itself, then maybe it is not such a major improvement as the studios like to put it.
for me there are the following factors why i haven`t made the transition:

1) cost. i am home based in europe and import all my dvds from the states.
costly enough
2) have not found a good codefree player
3) have a perfect collection of around 800 dvds. don`t like the idea of mixing
in smaller boxes.
4) have an upconverting player which makes sd look very good.
5) have tested bluray players at friends`houses, the loading time really
bothered me!
6) don`t need picture in picture commentaries or bluray internet features.
7) many titles still not available.

sorry for the offtopic, but thats just to show you that i am actually pretty rational about it (except for point 3 ).
i think dvd will be around for quite some time, so companies like warner, please don`t ignore the fact that youur dvd customers have spent hundreds or thousands of dollars on your products.....so don`t treat them like fools, just because you decide to push something new!
Old 08-05-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Yeah thats a real fucking bonus.
Yep.
Old 09-19-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't see a thread dedicated to this in HD Talk.

The Blu-ray has a solid amount of bonus features. It includes 45 minutes of unused footage (deleted and extended scenes plus gag reel), two brief featurettes, a faux security guard training video, but the meat comes in terms of the IME experience which is the Hill, Rogen and Farris video commentary. It's a shame that there's no way to listen to it without the video on, but I'll get more in-depth with the Blu-ray when I have free time during the week.
Old 09-19-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

got the dvd for this. luckily it is not a flipper disc, even though the disc
contains widescreen and fullscreen formats.
both are on one side and although i prefer this practice over flippers, the
picture quality does seem to suffer a bit.
disc also included a hangover trailer, bit still no info on when it will finally be released....
Old 09-19-09, 08:01 PM

got the dvd for this. luckily it is not a flipper disc, even though the disc
contains widescreen and fullscreen formats.
both are on one side and although i prefer this practice over flippers, the
picture quality does seem to suffer a bit.
disc also included a hangover trailer, bit still no info on when it will finally be released....
Yeah that is much better. I'm glad they at least smartened up and stopped using flippers. I still don't support them as much because of their lack of extras to push blu-ray.
Old 09-20-09, 04:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by -TRANCE-
Yeah that is much better. I'm glad they at least smartened up and stopped using flippers. I still don't support them as much because of their lack of extras to push blu-ray.
Why? You suffer more compression by stuffing both widescreen and a full frame transfers onto a dual-layer disc rather than a double-sided single-layered disc. Single-layers give you 4.38 GiB rather than the 7.92 a dual-layer disc gives you. Almost a half of GiB is lost in the transition which for an MPEG-2 transfer could mean some difference, especially when there are no extras to speak of.

Then again, I saved up my money to purchase a brand new TV and PS3 so I could make the switch to Blu and it's a switch I'm glad I made.
Old 09-20-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Didn't see a thread dedicated to this in HD Talk.

The Blu-ray has a solid amount of bonus features. It includes 45 minutes of unused footage (deleted and extended scenes plus gag reel), two brief featurettes, a faux security guard training video, but the meat comes in terms of the IME experience which is the Hill, Rogen and Farris video commentary. It's a shame that there's no way to listen to it without the video on, but I'll get more in-depth with the Blu-ray when I have free time during the week.
That sounds awesome! Thought this movie was great and I for one am glad Blu-Ray is getting exclusive special features

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.