Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

^ /thread. Well, the argument, at least.
Old 08-03-09, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Ah, that's right, "money-grubbing format", OK, I guess using your mentality then there should never be any technological improvements available if some other format is already successful....
So Intel should have never released those dual/quad core CPU chips, since everything was good enough with regular Pentiums! Who needs HDTV when regular TV was just fine! How dare Microsoft and Sony release an Xbox 360 or a PS3 when the original Xbox and PS2 had already sold millions of systems! I guess you're still rocking that Walkman cassette deck too, because who needs some fancy schmancy iPod!

Face the facts of life: Technology improves, new and better products are brought to market, and Americans live in a capitalist economic society where companies operate FOR PROFIT...
I would agree that there was not a need in the slightest for an xbox 360 and PS3. They are the exact same things in my eyes but I am not gamer so i dont really care . And i would ever use an ipod so a portable cd player has always been the best of the best for me if i needed something like that. Some things dont need improving. WHy the hell would anyone need clear pepsi anyways? its all part of the plan as the Joker would say to screw the customer. Its great you are supporting big business though. You and all the other pro-BLu / down with DVd people. I myself just HATE paying more for less and wont support it. DVD's (and even Blu rays) for major new releases have been on the decline for many years. Studios have gotten lazy and also think they can try all kinds of gimmicks now. Like the digital copy, the seperate barebones and just-a-bit-more-than-barebones 2 disk releases, exclusive Blu features. All these tactics make no common sense to me other than to deprive the vast majority of the fans of a product and reward the select few who buy into whatever is hot at the moment.
Old 08-03-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I would agree that there was not a need in the slightest for an xbox 360 and PS3. They are the exact same things in my eyes but I am not gamer so i dont really care . And i would ever use an ipod so a portable cd player has always been the best of the best for me if i needed something like that. Some things dont need improving. WHy the hell would anyone need clear pepsi anyways? its all part of the plan as the Joker would say to screw the customer. Its great you are supporting big business though. You and all the other pro-BLu / down with DVd people. I myself just HATE paying more for less and wont support it. DVD's (and even Blu rays) for major new releases have been on the decline for many years. Studios have gotten lazy and also think they can try all kinds of gimmicks now. Like the digital copy, the seperate barebones and just-a-bit-more-than-barebones 2 disk releases, exclusive Blu features. All these tactics make no common sense to me other than to deprive the vast majority of the fans of a product and reward the select few who buy into whatever is hot at the moment.
I loved Crystal Pepsi! Thanks for bringing that back up...now I miss 1993.
Old 08-05-09, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
Your logic makes no sense. Even if they are doing this, why does it matter to you? If you haven't upgraded to Blu Ray, just wait until the DVD.

Plus, the Blu Ray and DVD for Star Trek are being released the same day.
Thats his argument. He doesnt want to have to wait. He wants to be able to buy the DVD the same day he can buy the blue ray. Apparently the studio releasign Star Trek to dvd and blue ray are doing this staggered release for other titles. He decided not to support the studio in this endeavor. Makes perfect sense. Whether it will work or not is a different story.

Last edited by jjcool; 08-05-09 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-04-09, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Revised artwork:

http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/star-trek12.html
Old 09-04-09, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by paul1957
SUCKS! The cover art, not the movie! I love the movie, and can't wait to pick it up!
Old 09-04-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 955 Likes on 663 Posts

Originally Posted by Paul1957

So..is that the one that's coming out?!

Thanks ALOT guys for complaining about the original one.

Thanks a bunch
Old 09-04-09, 04:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i was going to post this yesterday as well.
don`t know what to think of the new art yet!?
actually i find it slightly better than the old one, but
they definitely didn`t outdo themselves in terms
of creativity or design on this release
would would be kind of good looking though, is if it were
a plastic sleeve with the chris pine picture on the case.
it actually looks that way, but i can`t be completely sure
until my dvd arrives
Old 09-04-09, 06:39 AM

Revised artwork sucks.
Old 09-04-09, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

all of the promotional material for this movie have sucked. I can't figure out which one I hate more, the revised or original artwork.

This is a day one release for me. I might even get a Blu-player just so I can be like everyone else and watch the extra features!

even though I do think it is a lame, shitty practice, and will continue to think so even after I get a Blu-Player.
Old 09-04-09, 12:41 PM

Ah, that's right, "money-grubbing format", OK, I guess using your mentality then there should never be any technological improvements available if some other format is already successful....
So Intel should have never released those dual/quad core CPU chips, since everything was good enough with regular Pentiums! Who needs HDTV when regular TV was just fine! How dare Microsoft and Sony release an Xbox 360 or a PS3 when the original Xbox and PS2 had already sold millions of systems! I guess you're still rocking that Walkman cassette deck too, because who needs some fancy schmancy iPod!

Face the facts of life: Technology improves, new and better products are brought to market, and Americans live in a capitalist economic society where companies operate FOR PROFIT...
You must be confused, there is a difrence between technological improvements and difrent formats. Blu-Ray is not an technological improvement, its a whole difrent format. A technological improvement would imply they would add something to the DVD format itself. You are compearing boats and cars, and saying they are the same thing.

Get it right please.
Old 09-04-09, 12:48 PM
Banned

^You are wrong. The both same size disks. Its not Boats and cars.
Old 09-04-09, 01:40 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 907 Likes on 767 Posts

hopefully the SteelBook art will rock.
Old 09-04-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 49 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Willo007
You must be confused, there is a difrence between technological improvements and difrent formats. Blu-Ray is not an technological improvement, its a whole difrent format. A technological improvement would imply they would add something to the DVD format itself. You are compearing boats and cars, and saying they are the same thing.

Get it right please.
You first.
Old 09-04-09, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^You are wrong. The both same size disks. Its not Boats and cars.
So for that matter Music CDs, would you call a music CD a Blu-Ray?
Old 09-04-09, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by DVD Josh
You first.

One is standard definition the other is HD, there is also 3-D out there, thats why all of them have difrent names for their definitions, because they are not the same.

Again get it right.
Old 09-04-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Get it right please.

Last time I checked, you can't drive a car on the ocean....and how many boats do you see driving down your local roads?

So you are saying that Blu-ray is not a technological improvement to the way you can watch movies at home?

Sorry, but my analogy with video games is accurate....both Playstation 2 and Playstation 3 play video games, just as both DVD and Blu-ray Disc play movies...however, the PS3 being a technological improvement over the PS2 is indisputable, as is Blu-ray over DVD....
Do improvements in technology lead to new formats? Yes, sometimes they can or sometimes it just adds a new feature to a pre-existing product....by the way, if you take a minute and look at my original post, never once did I even state that both DVD and Blu-ray are the same format....
Old 09-04-09, 05:13 PM

I didn't end up seeing this in the theaters which is a shame, :s But will definitely netflix it or blind buy it. Is it worth the blind buy?
Old 09-04-09, 06:07 PM

So you are saying that Blu-ray is not a technological improvement to the way you can watch movies at home?
If you prefer HD programing sure, but what about those who don't care for it?

You now are talking about taste. Yours differs from mine. It doesn't mean its better or worse, just different.

99% of movies are shot on film, Film is not HD, the films that are shot on digital, like Michael Mann films -->Collateral, Miami Vice & Public Enemies, don't look so good and not even comparable to Mann's "Heat" which was shot on film.

Again HD (BluRay) is NOT a technological improvement, its a different format to watch the film. Depending on taste people can watch films on HD or regular standard definition.

But obviously you don't understand the difference.
Old 09-04-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

If you prefer HD programing sure, but what about those who don't care for it?

You now are talking about taste. Yours differs from mine. It doesn't mean its better or worse, just different.
It has nothing to do with taste, even if you honestly prefer a lesser quality, lower resolution picture....to state that Blu-ray is only a technological improvement if you prefer it is ignoring the cold, hard facts and makes you sound completely delusional....
Using your own broken logic, I guess DVD was only a technological improvement over VHS if you prefer not to bother with rewinding....

99% of movies are shot on film, Film is not HD, the films that are shot on digital, like Michael Mann films -->Collateral, Miami Vice & Public Enemies, don't look so good and not even comparable to Mann's "Heat" which was shot on film.
And your point exactly is?? Film is not DVD either!
It is an indisputable fact that an accurate Blu-ray transfer will more closely resemble film due to its higher resolution, greater color range, and better compression....

Again HD (BluRay) is NOT a technological improvement, its a different format to watch the film. Depending on taste people can watch films on HD or regular standard definition.

But obviously you don't understand the difference.

This just gets better and better....and now I'm done...:notrolls:
I'm going to get it back to talking about the upcoming Star Trek release, in which case I'll just say I think the new "revised" artwork looks even worse then before...
Old 09-04-09, 08:20 PM

It has nothing to do with taste, even if you honestly prefer a lesser quality, lower resolution picture....to state that Blu-ray is only a technological improvement if you prefer it is ignoring the cold, hard facts and makes you sound completely delusional....
Using your own broken logic, I guess DVD was only a technological improvement over VHS if you prefer not to bother with rewinding....

And your point exactly is?? Film is not DVD either!
It is an indisputable fact that an accurate Blu-ray transfer will more closely resemble film due to its higher resolution, greater color range, and better compression....

This just gets better and better....and now I'm done...:notrolls:
I'm going to get it back to talking about the upcoming Star Trek release, in which case I'll just say I think the new "revised" artwork looks even worse then before...
I cant believe you are calling me a troll!

Yes, get it back to talking about the upcoming Star Trek release.
Old 09-04-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by unskilledgymrat
I didn't end up seeing this in the theaters which is a shame, :s But will definitely netflix it or blind buy it. Is it worth the blind buy?
Well, it did get great reviews, had great word of mouth, made a ton of money at the Box Office, and in my personal opinion, it was a fun film. I would say that it is worth a blind buy, but, that is just my opinion.
Old 09-05-09, 03:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

So what is the deal with all of the shitty artwork on their Star Trek releases?

Seems like most of their Star Trek releases (TOS on Blu-Ray, the movie re-releases, the "best of" TNG/TOS sets) have nothing but the Enterprise/Starfleet insignia. And now this travesty... it doesn't even look like a fucking movie.

The standard edition DVD doesn't look too bad, but where's the fucking color? What is it with all of this minimalist bullshit?
Old 09-05-09, 05:41 AM

Originally Posted by unskilledgymrat
I would say yes. I didn't watch any Star Trek previously and I enjoyed it.
Old 09-05-09, 07:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Again HD (BluRay) is NOT a technological improvement, its a different format to watch the film.
bizzare. blu-ray incorporates all of dvd technology up to it's latest iteration and then adds a host of additional features on top. it's difficult to see how that is anything other than a technological improvement.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.