Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > DVD Discussions > DVD Talk
Reload this Page >

J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

Community
Search
DVD Talk Talk about DVDs and Movies on DVD including Covers and Cases

J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-09, 08:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: J.J. Abrams Star Trek Due Out Nov. 17th!

That hasn't worked though, so they pull crap like exclusive extras.
Old 07-18-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by canaryfarmer
That hasn't worked though, so they pull crap like exclusive extras.
which unfortunately does work...
Old 07-18-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can't wait to pick up the Blu-Ray release of this. As I am a complete Blu-Ray whore, now (except where a Blu-Ray isn't available), I've already purchased Star Trek: The Complete First Season and Star Trek: The Motion Pictures Collection on Blu-Ray, so this 3-Disc Blu-Ray release will be mine!
Old 07-19-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

We'll see. Maybe by then blue ray players and discs will have dropped to reasonable price levels.
Old 07-28-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Paramount Home Entertainment has announced 2-disc DVD and 3-disc Blu-ray releases of Star Trek for the 17th November. Each will feature a widescreen presentation along with Dolby Digital 5.1 for the DVD, and 5.1 Dolby TrueHD for the Blu-ray. Extras will include commentary by director J.J. Abrams, writers Robert Orci and Alex Kurtzman, producer Damon Lindelof and executive producer Bryan Burk, deleted scenes with optional commentary ("Spock Birth", "Klingons Take Over Narada", "Young Kirk, Johnny and Uncle Frank", "Amanda and Sarek Argue After Spock Fights", "Prison Interrogation and Breakout", "Sarek Gets Amanda", "Dorm Room and Kobayashi Maru (original version)", "Kirk Apologizes to the Green Girl", "Sarek Sees Spock"), featurettes ("To Boldly Go", "Casting", "Aliens", "Score"), a gag reel, and a digital copy. The Blu-ray release will also include additional featurettes on the Starships, Gene Roddenberry's Vision, Ben Burtt and the Sounds of Star Trek, a Starfleet Vessel Simulator, and more.

Artwork:
http://www.dvdactive.com/news/releases/star-trek12.html
Old 07-28-09, 10:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Awesome, definitely in for the Blu-Ray. Sounds like some solid extra's; not a fan of the artwork though, I never did like that poster
Old 07-28-09, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm soooo in for the Blu-Ray. Remember seeing it in theaters and I thought..man, only Blu-Ray would do this justice.
Old 07-28-09, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit03
not a fan of the artwork though, I never did like that poster
Not a fan either, but I'm sure there will be some exclusives available that will have a different look.
Old 07-28-09, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 129 Likes on 103 Posts

Yeah, that cover leaves ALOT to be desired. Is the second/third disc going to be just that useless digital copy?
Old 07-28-09, 02:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yup.
Old 07-28-09, 02:18 PM

Best Buy Blu-ray Disc Gift Set

The Star Trek version comes with four replica Starfleet badges

Last edited by Juicy.Fruit84; 07-28-09 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-28-09, 03:42 PM
Banned

I am not happy at all about the Blu-ray getting Exclusive Features. Fuck Paramount for doing this. Im ashamed I gave them my money in theaters and supported this film meanwhile they conspire to fuck DVd owners (who still account for over 90% or buyers) in the anus. It hurts but whatever I still wont budge.
Old 07-28-09, 03:48 PM

i can't see the picture. . .can you repost or is my pc just not showing me? thanks. . .
Old 07-28-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Same artwork on Blu-ray

Old 07-28-09, 04:04 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 912 Likes on 772 Posts

i'm very glad i gave Paramount my money to see one of the best movies of this year and will gladly give them more for the DVD release!
Old 07-28-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by scott1598
i'm very glad i gave Paramount my money to see one of the best movies of this year and will gladly give them more for the DVD release!
Ditto
Old 08-03-09, 01:55 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm totally in for the Best Buy Blu-Ray Gift Set! Love it!
Old 08-03-09, 02:22 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I am not happy at all about the Blu-ray getting Exclusive Features. Fuck Paramount for doing this. Im ashamed I gave them my money in theaters and supported this film meanwhile they conspire to fuck DVd owners (who still account for over 90% or buyers) in the anus. It hurts but whatever I still wont budge.
*doing the jerking off hand motion*

Dude, I own a lot of DVDs..not as much as many of you but...it's 300+, so that's a lot regardless. I own Blu-Rays for films that I really want to see in HD and MOSTLY conviced to get them cuz of even more extra features, I don't own a BR player YET..cuz..well college> BR player. I approve of the more features thing. It was bound to happen. I mean...i bet some VHS ppl were pissed about DVD too. DVD will be around for a long time. Hell some VHS had some special stuff on there after the film itself! And considering that DVD and BLU have sooo many similarities (you know....they can do pretty much same thing except Blu can hold more and is HD, not a big incentive really for the general public) the act to add MORE features to the Blu-Ray is the only way now to get people to convert over. It's simple and nothing to get all pissy about. Just roll w/ it, bro...

ON TOPIC: Somewhat generic artwork but...I guess it's ok. Kinda wished we didn't need a digital copy..but...I'll buy it on Blu-Ray cuz damn did this thing look gorgeous on Digital Projection.
Old 08-03-09, 10:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by philip74
wow thats a six month wait for the dvd release. pretty long for today`s standards! reminds me of the vhs era
To put this in perspective for younger collectors/fans, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country opened theatrically on 6 December 1991. It was not released on VHS commercially until 25 August 1993! (A VHS was released to rental stores prior to that along with the LaserDisc release on 25 June 1992.)

As for the overall issue of blockbuster movies being pushed back until November this year, I think it's simply a matter of the economy. Studios expect that these moneymakers will sell well on home video, but I think they're afraid that if they release them before everyone goes into Christmas shopping mode, the release sales figures will be weak. Don't forget: Hollywood lives and dies by first week numbers these days. Better to wait until people feel obligated to buy a DVD and have good numbers than to release earlier when they might decide to wait and have it appear that no one is interested in buying.
Old 08-03-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
To put this in perspective for younger collectors/fans, Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country opened theatrically on 6 December 1991. It was not released on VHS commercially until 25 August 1993! (A VHS was released to rental stores prior to that along with the LaserDisc release on 25 June 1992.)

As for the overall issue of blockbuster movies being pushed back until November this year, I think it's simply a matter of the economy. Studios expect that these moneymakers will sell well on home video, but I think they're afraid that if they release them before everyone goes into Christmas shopping mode, the release sales figures will be weak. Don't forget: Hollywood lives and dies by first week numbers these days. Better to wait until people feel obligated to buy a DVD and have good numbers than to release earlier when they might decide to wait and have it appear that no one is interested in buying.
downside of that being of course that there is just too much competition with too many titles out there during the christmas season.
i don`t think a movie like transformers 2 would sell less units, if it were already released in october like the first one.
but you are probably right, studios are anticipating that a dvd will be the only christmas present, although there are so many other products worth spending gift money on
Old 08-03-09, 03:50 PM
Cool New Member

I had planned on buying this and Transformers 2 but have decided against it now that I read that Paramount is going to start releasing blu-ray discs 4 to 8 weeks ahead of standard dvds for certain titles. They are doing this with Dance Flick. Not that that is something I would buy but it is the point. No more Paramount or any other studios titles that start this for me. And I was looking forward to the new Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection also. Oh well. I know most of you don't care so save your "boo hoo" replies.
Old 08-03-09, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i certaily care and don`t like such policies one bit!
i was already pissed enough having to wait 6 months for the star trek dvd release, but if they want to postpone the standard dvd releases even longer, than i might just as well switch back to vhs again, because such long release windows make me feel like i am back in the 80s anyhow
at least paramount said they would only do this with certain titles and as for dance flick...it might as well never be released on dvd for all i care
i doubt that they will dare to pull a stunt like this with transformers 2!
that would piss off a lot of customers and i doubt they want to lose sales on their biggest title this year.
i understand your boycott though and wish everyone would do it, so that the studios learn that they can`t pull any stunt. seems they have forgotten the first rule, that the customer is king!
Old 08-03-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,639 Likes on 2,612 Posts

Originally Posted by mountain_dew
I had planned on buying this and Transformers 2 but have decided against it now that I read that Paramount is going to start releasing blu-ray discs 4 to 8 weeks ahead of standard dvds for certain titles. They are doing this with Dance Flick. Not that that is something I would buy but it is the point. No more Paramount or any other studios titles that start this for me. And I was looking forward to the new Star Trek Original Motion Picture Collection also. Oh well. I know most of you don't care so save your "boo hoo" replies.
Your logic makes no sense. Even if they are doing this, why does it matter to you? If you haven't upgraded to Blu Ray, just wait until the DVD.

Plus, the Blu Ray and DVD for Star Trek are being released the same day.
Old 08-03-09, 04:48 PM
Banned

It this is true and they start releasing Blus before DVD's that just shows how fucking desperate they are for this money-grubbing format to succeed .
Absolutely disgusting.
Old 08-03-09, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
It this is true and they start releasing Blus before DVD's that just shows how fucking desperate they are for this money-grubbing format to succeed .
Absolutely disgusting.
Ah, that's right, "money-grubbing format", OK, I guess using your mentality then there should never be any technological improvements available if some other format is already successful....
So Intel should have never released those dual/quad core CPU chips, since everything was good enough with regular Pentiums! Who needs HDTV when regular TV was just fine! How dare Microsoft and Sony release an Xbox 360 or a PS3 when the original Xbox and PS2 had already sold millions of systems! I guess you're still rocking that Walkman cassette deck too, because who needs some fancy schmancy iPod!

Face the facts of life: Technology improves, new and better products are brought to market, and Americans live in a capitalist economic society where companies operate FOR PROFIT...

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.